Just Another Guy Just Another Home Theater......Version 2.0 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1002 Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an odd question....when I purchased the same Dow Foamboard the seller said I had to use Foil tape on the seams...he said if I used any other tape it wouldn't hold over time. What type of tape is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1002 Old 03-04-2011, 04:15 AM

Liked: 12
Great thread! I love the detailed shots you are taking of everything during the framing/electrical stage. I will be keeping an eye on this one as I go along!
post #63 of 1002 Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Steve, ultimately what are your plans for the finishing touches to Version 2.0 (forgive me if I missed it)...are you going with a theme, minimalist approach, unfinished look (logan style), Notre Dame, etc...???

BTW, nice progress and cant wait to see more pics!
post #64 of 1002 Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw12117 View Post

I have an odd question....when I purchased the same Dow Foamboard the seller said I had to use Foil tape on the seams...he said if I used any other tape it wouldn't hold over time. What type of tape is that?

The brand is venture tape. It is a red heavy duty tape that is sold specifically for sealing the seams in foam board applications. It is right by the board at Mendards. I dont know one way or the other whether foil tape would or would not hold/work. I know I used to work for a company that sold high dollar ($30+/roll) foil tape and the adhesive on that stuff is strong but I am not sure it adhere to foam board. Give it a shot and let it sit for a few days and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

Great thread! I love the detailed shots you are taking of everything during the framing/electrical stage. I will be keeping an eye on this one as I go along!

Thanks but I criticize myself quite often for not taking enough pictures to document things. In fact in my first theater and bar build (link in my signature)I wish I had taken more.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #65 of 1002 Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Steve, ultimately what are your plans for the finishing touches to Version 2.0 (forgive me if I missed it)...are you going with a theme, minimalist approach, unfinished look (logan style), Notre Dame, etc...???

BTW, nice progress and cant wait to see more pics!

Well I am not sure on this one as of yet. I plan of fabric treatments on the walls at least to chair rail height with OC703 or something similar behind. I plan on speaker columns wrapped in fabric to conceal my surrounds. Other than that I would guess minimalist approach as I dont want a lot sitting out in the room that may ultimately take away from the experience. No theme for sure. I do plan on a ton of black including carpet, fabric, seating and ceiling paint. Not sure on a secondary color yet and am definitely taking suggestions. I also am on the fence on whether I should do painted or stained trim/casing work?? I need to decide this relatively soon as I need to consider/purchase doors. Any advice (and dont be bias since you have a lot of stained woodwork)? I did a ton of wood on the other side and that definitely slows things down.

post #66 of 1002 Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey buddy!

You are already on the second page (for those of us who have it set to sixty posts), well done!

I think black is a good place to start, on the secondary colors I would point you in the direction of a classic deep red, a dark or navy blue, or even a deep golden color.

I'll chime in on the painted/stained woodwork trim having done both. Painting is actually faster and more forgiving in putting it up and doing your cuts miters. Staining is more time consuming and a lot less forgiving when it come to putting it up. I think the over all look of stained trim and woodwork is a much more "upper scale" and classier look and feel to it. There just is a "richness" to stained woodwork.

Painted trim and woodwork is easier to maintain repair should that be necessary and if properly prepped can have a very nice and smooth look to it too.

Since you did quite a bit of stained work on the other side would this not be the perfect opportunity to do some painted woodwork?

I'm just sayin'

Keep it up you doing great!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #67 of 1002 Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ What he said.

Really, staining just takes a lot more time, but ultimately its the look that you will eventually decide and no matter which it is, it will turn out awesome!

Can I ask why "black" as opposed to choosing a darker color? I ask because I thought I would go black on my ceiling, but when I came across a couple of threads where people were painting a darker color, not black, yet were saying that once the lights were dimmed, the color looked black...once I saw those threads and read those words, I knew I didnt have to settle on black. I went with a dark tea/gray/green (forgot the color, but have it listed somewhere in my thread) and it is black when the lights are dimmed and just as effective. And when the lights werent dimmed, it had some color to it.

However, my room also is not a dedicated theater...whereas yours is...so I might not be making any sense here.
post #68 of 1002 Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well guys ( Doug and RT) I appreciate the insight on painted vs stained trim work but it still left me with a head full of indecisions....lol. I guess it will come down to personal preference obviously but I just dont know which I prefer. My concern on stained is the stain color next to black carpet and black fabric wall treatments?! And my concern for painted is well really the same......lol

post #69 of 1002 Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A bit more progress to report. I have all the framing complete and ready to finish up the electrical and other in wall wiring prior to drywall.

Here is a shot right inside the front closet that will be home to a built in dvd storage shelf.

Screen wall looking back

Screen wall looking back into the closet

Looking out the entrance. You notice the cold air return (new to the build) which is attached to the furnace (also new to the build) which replaced the original 25 year old model and I must say....HUGE improvement.

Another random of the screen wall

post #70 of 1002 Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well as progress (aka Accounts Payable Dept)goes in the HT the same can be said regarding "everything" else right now. I think its Murphy's Law, whatever could go wrong has gone wrong. It all started this past Saturday as my wife put together a great night out with a group of friends for my birthday. After dinner we all headed out to a local establishment for an evening never to be remembered......as "she" pulled into the parking lot she noticed the only parking spaces left were out in the back of the lot. Did I mention it had rained like the dickens all Friday and Saturday turning to snow by mid afternoon AND the bar rests on a lake. As she turned around in "said" back of the parking lot so that she didnt have to back out when it was time to leave she started to sink into the "swamp" which in turn caused her to panic which caused a chain reaction of over-acceleration and you can guess we sunk like the Titanic!! So at this point we are several inches deep in mud, myself and a few buddies attempt to rock her out of this situation but more "over-acceleration" caused her to sink all the way to the damn bumper!! So we decided this was about the end of what we could do that night, we would just leave it and get it in the morning when we could see. Well as we started toward the door a gentlemen pulls up with a truck and mentions the words "tow strap" to us. Good idea????......NOPE!!!!!!!!! My buddy got down close to the ground (not on it since again it was mud and everyone was dressed up for a night out) and attached said "tow strap" to what he "thought" was the correct location. Well guess what happened next.............yep ripped a pipe right out from underneath the truck and antifreeze poured out like an upside down geyser!! That was the end of moving the truck on our own! Sunday came we had it towed out ($85) and repaired on Monday (luckily $85)and we are up and running. Luckily we didnt do any major damage to anything under there.

So we move to last night (remember Murphys Law?) We get home, pull in the garage and proceed into the house hitting the garage door button as we close the door behind us. The sound we heard next will forever be imprinted in our minds. Quickly rushing back out hitting the lights we see the garage door is SEVERELY ****-eyed!! WTF????????? I have never had any garage door damage, failure,malfunction or repair experience in my life but this was a mess. The door was on the ground on one side but 3 feet up on the other??? One steel cable snapped the other as tight as a banjo string.....! So we struggled to lift, push and pull the door to get it sort of closed so that noone could get in overnight since this is where ALL my tools are. So as I write this I am sitting here waiting for the repair guys to get here to attempt to repair the latest obstacle in my life. It is truly ALWAYS something..............

post #71 of 1002 Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, crap! Sounds as though the RTROSE/Murphy's bug has bit you hard. I am convinced that sometimes if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck at all. Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Luckily the auto repairs were relatively cheap, but from the sounds of it you won't get off that cheap for the garage door. Sounds as though you had a pulley or a spring go bad to cause you that type of problem. The neighbors across from us had a spring let go and punched a soft ball sized hole in the ceiling of the garage into their attic. They said it sounded like a small explosion when it let go. Chin up my friend and keep motoring forward.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #72 of 1002 Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn Steve. That is some story!

But i do have to say I really like the progress thus far.

BTW Happy Birthday!
post #73 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Damn Steve. That is some story!

But i do have to say I really like the progress thus far.

BTW Happy Birthday!

Guess I could have wished you this as well, as it seems your birthday night out was an eventful evening.

Regards,

RTROSE

Happy belated B-day!

post #74 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys it has been an insane/expensive week and honestly I can not wait until next week. Proud to say the truck is fixed and so is the garage door. Turns out all that happened was the one cable snapped and caused things to go haywire. Replaced both cables and were back up and running. Also have some progress in the theater as well as insulation is a flyin' in these parts. Also all electrical is ran as well as in wall speaker, hdmi, subwoofer etc is installed. Pics to follow but not on a Friday night as everyone knows that noone is around these parts on Fridays!

post #75 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well at least I was close to getting the garage door problem correct. Glad to hear that all is back to pretty much normal and progress is being made in the theater.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #76 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Pics to follow but not on a Friday night as everyone knows that noone is around these parts on Fridays!

Uhmmm, looks like me and RT are around these parts on Friday Nights...along with you! (I am here as I am troubleshooting that new(used) receiver I got)...nothing like jumping on AVS to find a fix!
post #77 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Glad the chaos got sorted out and didn't set you back as much as it felt initially. And belated happy birthday!
post #78 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys and it looks like an abnormal friday night here at avs with quite a few if us around here.

Doug,

troubleshooting already?

Brad,

The fabric is looking awesome by the way

post #79 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

post #80 of 1002 Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys and it looks like an abnormal friday night here at avs with quite a few if us around here.

Doug,

troubleshooting already?

Brad,

The fabric is looking awesome by the way

Yeah. My receiver is shutting down anytime it tries to produce extremely loud/low frequency sound. I have a post out in the Pioneer 1019 thread. Other than that i really like what i got.
post #81 of 1002 Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27

But hope you understand if I don't stand too close to you for a while, just in case your luck is contagious.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #82 of 1002 Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No worries hanes, in fact I wish I could stand a little further away from myself lately.

post #83 of 1002 Old 03-12-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As promised (and since its Saturday now) some progress

Here is a shot of inside my rack enclosure area of the electrical. I have a dedicated 20 amp for the rack components and another line for a switched outlet that I will hook up some sort of fan/rack cooling system from

Other side of the rack wall with other speaker line ins and cat 5 ins as well

With all the respect given around AVS to the infamous "woodpile" photo I think the "insulation pile" photo deserves the same amount of respect so here goes....LIVE ON INSULATION, LIVE ON

We will be off and running real soon now as insulation will be finished up before the next person posts an "inuslation pile" pic

post #84 of 1002 Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh man, that insulation pile makes me itch just looking at it.

With your luck you better go full hazmat gear before tackling those babies.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #85 of 1002 Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

We will be off and running real soon now...

Excellent progress, glad to see that your recent run of bad luck hasn't damped you work ethic. Looking forward to completed insulation pics.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #86 of 1002 Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Steve,

Looking Good - keep those photos coming !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #87 of 1002 Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Man your work area is way too neat, mine is a total mess - sawdust, drywall dust and chunks, bits of insulation, bits of fabric, bits of heat shrink tubing, boxes everywhere, tools strewn about - maybe that means I should do some cleanup soon.
post #88 of 1002 Old 03-13-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Man your work area is way too neat, mine is a total mess - sawdust, drywall dust and chunks, bits of insulation, bits of fabric, bits of heat shrink tubing, boxes everywhere, tools strewn about - maybe that means I should do some cleanup soon.

+1

My area on rare occasions looks like Steve's most of the time it resembles a war zone with all of the stuff strewn about everywhere.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #89 of 1002 Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Oh man, that insulation pile makes me itch just looking at it.

With your luck you better go full hazmat gear before tackling those babies.

Regards,

RTROSE

Insulation is the best part of the job.......right?? Oh man thats what the guy on HGTV said

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Excellent progress, glad to see that your recent run of bad luck hasn't damped you work ethic. Looking forward to completed insulation pics.

Thanks but nothing will dampen my work ethic except lack of money, lack of approval from the mrs, lack of interest, lack of ambition, lack of time.....did I miss any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Steve,

Looking Good - keep those photos coming !!

I dont know about good but I may or may not be able to squeak out another photo or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Brad this is what I call an optical illusion as the recent pictures are after I cleaned up. The room was a disaster after framing and prior to insulation so I decided to clean things up so I could move around to install the insulation. Normally its a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

+1

My area on rare occasions looks like Steve's most of the time it resembles a war zone with all of the stuff strewn about everywhere.

Regards,

RTROSE

I promise you all this is not the norm. I will make a point to post some pictures of it in a disasterous state so you will all believe me.

post #90 of 1002 Old 03-14-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well,

In truth the itching is for me power of suggestion. I had been putting in insulation all day without nary an itch. Mrs. RTROSE gets home from work and "inspects" my progress and mentions something about why I did not have long sleeves on, gloves, etc. etc. Well she turns around to go back upstairs and just about 10 seconds later I start itching like crazy, and for the next couple of days while I put insulation in I itched like crazy too. Hmmmmm...........The power of suggestion.

If I clean up my work area too much I can't find my tools, and all of my other stuff I need to work. If I don't clean it is much easier to find my stuff, even though Mrs. RTROSE doesn't understand this construction "philosophy".

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Samsung Bd P1500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page