Just Another Guy Just Another Home Theater......Version 2.0 - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Actually you want as much contact with the carpet as possible to disperse the weight of the riser over a larger surface area. If you use those bun feet then all of the weight will be concentrated onto a few very small points. By putting a piece of plywood or OSB all across the bottom of the frame you have effectively dispersed the weight over the entire size of the riser. That means less weight at each contact point with the carpet and thus less of an indent.

I think there is a math problem in there somewhere. I might not be a math wizz but I know that the point you make is correct. Ever walk across a frozen lake and have the ice start cracking? You lay down on the ice to spread the weight so you don't break through. Same principal.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 545
You also might want to fill the riser with sand after lining the bottom with plastic so it doesn't vibrate. I have seen that done on both risers and screen risers. Works well on either.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #873 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^You live! He has already built the "main" riser and think he stuffed it full of fluffy stuff. I think stages benefit more from the sand than do risers, but it is the same principal at work. Zero vibrations is the goal.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #874 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

^^^You live! He has already built the "main" riser and think he stuffed it full of fluffy stuff. I think stages benefit more from the sand than do risers, but it is the same principal at work. Zero vibrations is the goal.

Regards,

RTROSE

Lol still in the hospital but yes living lol

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #875 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Lol still in the hospital but yes living lol

Oh, no! I know you have battled health issues before, so I wish you a speedy recovery and a return to good health!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #876 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I think there is a math problem in there somewhere. I might not be a math wizz but I know that the point you make is correct. Ever walk across a frozen lake and have the ice start cracking? You lay down on the ice to spread the weight so you don't break through. Same principal.

Regards,

RTROSE

Alright RTROSE...because you asked...

Lets say that you have a 6' x 12' riser made out of a 2x10 frame with two layers of 3/4" OSB on top. With three theater chairs the weight of such a riser comes out to be about 800 pounds (before some avid movie viewers take a seat).

Lets say that you use 15 of those bun feet. That is about 53 pounds on each foot. If each foot is 6 inches in diameter then that means you will have about 424 square inches of contact with carpet and about 1.89 pounds per square inch.

Now lets say that you get rid of the bun feet and do a layer of 1/2" OSB along the bottom of the riser. The new riser weight will be about 900 pounds with seats but you will now have a total surface area touching the carpet of 10,368 square inches. That means that you'll have about 0.087 pounds on each square inch of carpet. Quite a significant reduction!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #877 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^See I knew you would come through. Clear as mud my friend, thanks!

Actually I can follow along with that math. It makes perfect sense to me.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #878 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^^See I knew you would come through. Clear as mud my friend, thanks!

Actually I can follow along with that math. It makes perfect sense to me.

Regards,

RTROSE

Excellent RT! Even the "pi r squared" part to find the area of the feet bottoms?

The Austin Home Theater:

post #879 of 1002 Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, no! I know you have battled health issues before, so I wish you a speedy recovery and a return to good health!

Regards,

RTROSE

Yup, 3 ER visits since 2/20 and of those 3 visits was admitted twice, for 5 days the first time and so far 5 days this time around, for a total of 10 days. Sometimes you get the bear, right now the bear is getting me.....

Now back to the regularly scheduled program

My Setup

Quote:

post #880 of 1002 Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Yup, 3 ER visits since 2/20 and of those 3 visits was admitted twice, for 5 days the first time and so far 5 days this time around, for a total of 10 days. Sometimes you get the bear, right now the bear is getting me.....

Now back to the regularly scheduled program

I'm so sorry to hear this and hope that you feel better soon. I've spent my fair share of time in hospitals visiting family and I know that it is not a fun place to be.

At least the food is good though right.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #881 of 1002 Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Alright RTROSE...because you asked...

Lets say that you have a 6' x 12' riser made out of a 2x10 frame with two layers of 3/4" OSB on top. With three theater chairs the weight of such a riser comes out to be about 800 pounds (before some avid movie viewers take a seat).

Lets say that you use 15 of those bun feet. That is about 53 pounds on each foot. If each foot is 6 inches in diameter then that means you will have about 424 square inches of contact with carpet and about 1.89 pounds per square inch.

Now lets say that you get rid of the bun feet and do a layer of 1/2" OSB along the bottom of the riser. The new riser weight will be about 900 pounds with seats but you will now have a total surface area touching the carpet of 10,368 square inches. That means that you'll have about 0.087 pounds on each square inch of carpet. Quite a significant reduction!

WOW
This is the math that I LOVE to see but don't know how to get it.

So let's throw my "actual" numbers into this equation (if you dont mind helping me out). This is a "secondary" riser that will rest atop my main riser. It would be roughly 8' wide x 4' deep. Framed with 2x6's with a 3/4" layer on top and one of the bottom. What are my numbers now teacher?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #882 of 1002 Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

With that size your looking at about 410 pounds after you put the chairs on. If you use 8 bun feet then that's approximately 1.81 pounds per square inch.

With a layer on the bottom the riser is now about 480 pounds. You'll have about 4,608 square inches of contact. So about 0.1042 pounds per square inch.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #883 of 1002 Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

WOW
This is the math that I LOVE to see but don't know how to get it.

So let's throw my "actual" numbers into this equation (if you dont mind helping me out). This is a "secondary" riser that will rest atop my main riser. It would be roughly 8' wide x 4' deep. Framed with 2x6's with a 3/4" layer on top and one of the bottom. What are my numbers now teacher?

He is actually one of those "Punk Students" that all of us "old farts" are yelling at to "get off our lawns".

Just kidding aaustin. I appreciate your smarts and your DIY skills as well. As I said earlier in your thread, you are far ahead of where I was at 18. Keep it up and you will have a very bright future indeed.

Oh, I almost forgot. How do those numbers look to you Steve?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #884 of 1002 Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wait he's only 18? Wowzers! Impressive young grasshoppa!

Thanks for the math. So its everyone in agreement that a flat plywood bottom will be easier on thd carpet underneath and that gives it a better chance at survival? My outside thinking is the feet smash less surface area than an entire sheet of plywood does therefore less damage with them?

post #885 of 1002 Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait he's only 18? Wowzers! Impressive young grasshoppa!

Thanks for the math. So its everyone in agreement that a flat plywood bottom will be easier on thd carpet underneath and that gives it a better chance at survival? My outside thinking is the feet smash less surface area than an entire sheet of plywood does therefore less damage with them?

Thanks! Yup I'm just a youngen'.

The bun feet will make a few very deep marks. Probably so deep that you won't be able to get the carpet to "fluff up" again if you remove the riser. The idea with the plywood is that it will leave one shallower mark that won't damage the carpet. I think that it is your best option.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #886 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

major theater purchase alert!!!!.......................

updates "soon" to follow.

post #887 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If this is a survey or a "guess what I purchased for the theater" type of tease then I'm more than happy to oblige.

#1 - Stripper, er ah I mean "Exercise Pole"
#2 - Theater seating

Either way I'm excited for you. Always fun making theater related purchases.

Don't keep us hanging on too long in anticipation.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #888 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
+1 for the stripper pole - without seats, you can always sit on the floor, whereas without the pole, the strippers will have a tendency to fall over, and on your lap.

On second thought, forget about the pole.
post #889 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You say that..... but I have a feeling our "update" will be in like 3 more months and only after much harrasment from the community at large .

P.S. I am in a smiley face mood today..... must be the meds

My Setup

Quote:

post #890 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

With a layer on the bottom the riser is now about 480 pounds. You'll have about 4,608 square inches of contact. So about 0.1042 pounds per square inch.

I know this was about a week ago, but I just thought it reasonable to add that there are at least 2 factors that this calculation (while completely accurate, to the best of my knowledge) does not consider. First, how much weight does it take to crush the pile? Second, what role does time play in the ability of the carpet to recover from being crushed? These factors will both vary with carpet type (material, pile height, etc.) and the information may be available from the carpet manufacturer.
post #891 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I know this was about a week ago, but I just thought it reasonable to add that there are at least 2 factors that this calculation (while completely accurate, to the best of my knowledge) does not consider. First, how much weight does it take to crush the pile? Second, what role does time play in the ability of the carpet to recover from being crushed? These factors will both vary with carpet type (material, pile height, etc.) and the information may be available from the carpet manufacturer.

Excellent point Fred. Taking the weight calculation to the manufacturer and asking how such a weight would affect the carpet over time is a great idea.

The Austin Home Theater:

post #892 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Oh and did I mention that I have been practicing?????

post #893 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Quote:

Excellent point Fred. Taking the weight calculation to the manufacturer and asking how such a weight would affect the carpet over time is a great idea.

Now you suggest this......

I suppose if I go the route of building the secondary riser that I (personally)wont ever be the one that will A)have to remove it and B)have to look at/replace the carpet underneath.

I think I will use a full plywood bottom to help reduce the pressure/impact on the carpet and hope for the best.

post #894 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now you suggest this......

I suppose if I go the route of building the secondary riser that I (personally)wont ever be the one that will A)have to remove it and B)have to look at/replace the carpet underneath.

I think I will use a full plywood bottom to help reduce the pressure/impact on the carpet and hope for the best.

I think that sounds like a good plan.

Oh and by the way, who snuck a camera into your theater room? Now we all know what you're doing when your taking a break from building.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...P_lm37EdHfp57Q

The Austin Home Theater:

post #895 of 1002 Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ LOL @ that video

Something tells me that creepy fella has some "other" secrets that he enjoys behind closed doors.

Heading to take a shower to wash that filth off of me IMMEDIATELY!!

post #896 of 1002 Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had to share this, pretty sweet!!

Here is a link to the article and while I am not a fan of batman this is pretty neat.

Click Me

post #897 of 1002 Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I am curious if anyone has done this or not but I was contemplating installing some lighting under the lip of my riser in the 2nd row. This lighting would act as a "path light" for the 2nd row guests should they need to get up during a movie. I dont want to wire these lights to a remote control or a switch but was wondering if there was some sort of "motion sensor" I could use and install near the foot area which would be triggered when someone stepped down off the riser to walk out of the room?

Any suggestions?

post #898 of 1002 Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Haven't seen that done, but its an interesting idea, assuming you could figure out where to point the motion sensor, so that it activates when needed, without "false positives", which could get annoying.
post #899 of 1002 Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The motion sensor is the only solution to lighting the path for the rear row. Any other ideas that I may be overlooking?

post #900 of 1002 Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

So I am curious if anyone has done this or not but I was contemplating installing some lighting under the lip of my riser in the 2nd row. This lighting would act as a "path light" for the 2nd row guests should they need to get up during a movie. I dont want to wire these lights to a remote control or a switch but was wondering if there was some sort of "motion sensor" I could use and install near the foot area which would be triggered when someone stepped down off the riser to walk out of the room?

Any suggestions?

Steve, the motion sensor switch that I show below is meant to turn on/off lights when you walk into a room or closet, but it might work for your scenario. You would have to have a 1 gang j-box mounted under the lip of your riser in the vertical portion, at foot level pointing out from the riser, but I don't know if you are able to wire this or if it's too late in your build progress. Just an idea though.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Samsung Bd P1500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P1500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page