Just Another Guy Just Another Home Theater......Version 2.0 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1002 Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post
And front right screen wall corner and a look at the future media closet area, just as soon as I find a home for ALL that crap

More to come tomorrow.......maybe?!
I had a major glitch in my matrix - I have that exact same computer cabinet and it is in the exact same spot in my basement, which also is framed out (although my electrical rough in is finished).

Nice work so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1002 Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley8808 View Post

I had a major glitch in my matrix - I have that exact same computer cabinet and it is in the exact same spot in my basement, which also is framed out (although my electrical rough in is finished).

Nice work so far!

Funny you mention that cabinet as I am done framing including a closet thats framed out in front of that cabinet. The problem is/was I planned to relocate that cabinet prior to framing however I got rollin along and forgot and guess what? Yep the cabinet was stuck over there So I did what any man would do that was sick of the cabinet that couldnt be moved.........I destroyed it via hammer! Needless to say that picture of the cabinet is all I have left to remember it by

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #93 of 1002 Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
LOL nice, maybe you'll find a use in the build for some of the wood scraps. Many of my first batch of fabric panels were fashioned out of THT scraps.
post #94 of 1002 Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

If I clean up my work area too much I can't find my tools, and all of my other stuff I need to work.

Haha, same here - every once in a while, I pick up all the tools I don't need right away, and put them away in the tool storage in the garage next door. Inevitably, I have dragged 90% of them back into the HT by the next day of work - except of course, I discover the need one by one, so walk back and forth over and over again. I guess I should just throw them all in a box or portable tool box, and leave it in the HT.
post #95 of 1002 Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post
LOL nice, maybe you'll find a use in the build for some of the wood scraps. Many of my first batch of fabric panels were fashioned out of THT scraps.
My friend its far too late for all that. I have however reused all the wood from my original riser in theater 1.0 and implemented it in theater 2.0 Yep I am "green" like that

Quote:
Haha, same here - every once in a while, I pick up all the tools I don't need right away, and put them away in the tool storage in the garage next door. Inevitably, I have dragged 90% of them back into the HT by the next day of work - except of course, I discover the need one by one, so walk back and forth over and over again. I guess I should just throw them all in a box or portable tool box, and leave it in the HT.
Believe me once again. My work space is NOT this clean!! I only cleaned it to take pictures and install insulation, kind of like when you clean the house before having company over. You are all my company so I cleaned up before I let you in. I have the same problems with my tools the only problem is the garage is upstairs from the theater which really makes it a huge PITA to go back and forth that is why my bar is covered with tools, cables, supplies and everything else known to man. Maybe I will share a picture of that for you all so you can see that I am normal

post #96 of 1002 Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't think there is any picture available that would prove to any of us that you are in fact "normal", but hey that is OK. Many of us here aren't normal and you have to be some what abnormal to be here anyway, right?

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #97 of 1002 Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Steve,

I was just reviewing your other thread and was wondering where you got that vanity and sink for your bathroom? That looks nice and about the size I am looking for.
post #98 of 1002 Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think there is any picture available that would prove to any of us that you are in fact "normal", but hey that is OK. Many of us here aren't normal and you have to be some what abnormal to be here anyway, right?

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks for pointing that out as I am anything but normal Thats what makes AVS such a special place.

post #99 of 1002 Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Steve,

I was just reviewing your other thread and was wondering where you got that vanity and sink for your bathroom? That looks nice and about the size I am looking for.

Lets first not overlook the first part of your comment......You were reviewing my original thread........ I didnt think anyone visited those parts anymore?! You should of made a post to boost it to the front page again for kicks.

The vanity was purchased at Lowes. Here is the link http://www.lowes.com/pd_122187-444-V...ate%26page%3D8

It obviously comes in many sizes. I am really happy with it as it was a bit higher than most I looked at and being 6'2" I wanted something tall. The top is a cultured marble one piece top that I got on clearance from Menards. Since their website completely SUCKS I can not post you a link. Though it was clearance they have added a different manufacturer that makes the same thing so they still stock them.

post #100 of 1002 Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lets first not overlook the first part of your comment......You were reviewing my original thread........ I didnt think anyone visited those parts anymore?! You should of made a post to boost it to the front page again for kicks........snip

You forget that there are some around here that are gluttons for punishment!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #101 of 1002 Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lets first not overlook the first part of your comment......You were reviewing my original thread........ I didnt think anyone visited those parts anymore?! You should of made a post to boost it to the front page again for kicks.

Now that you've mentioned it!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Steve!
post #102 of 1002 Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Iusteve,

I like the projector shelf, I was thinking of that before I ended up going with the bookcase. Have you decided on the CR-10's yet, I am really enjoying them in my setup.
post #103 of 1002 Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Iusteve,

I like the projector shelf, I was thinking of that before I ended up going with the bookcase. Have you decided on the CR-10's yet, I am really enjoying them in my setup.

Funny you should mention it I ordered a pair of These and they will be here Monday. I got a suggestion about them from someone here on the forum so I am going to give them a run and see what they are like. They have a 30 day no questions asked return policy so its a win win. If they are just "ok" I will use them in another room on a smaller setup.

As for the projector shelf I am happy with the decision to go that route but I have to admit I stole it from a few people on this forum including Doug's

post #104 of 1002 Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have their in walls in my living room and bedroom 5.1 setups, and have been happy with them. Will be interested to hear how their products work out for you in a dedicated room.
post #105 of 1002 Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Looks cool Steve! cant wait to hear how you like them.

Initially I was bummed I missed all of the deals on the RC-r's, but then I realized that most the surrounds of that style were to wide for my columns, the CR-10's have about 1/2" on either side of my trim insets so it worked perfect for me. Are you still planning on hiding them inside the columns?
post #106 of 1002 Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Looks cool Steve! cant wait to hear how you like them.

Initially I was bummed I missed all of the deals on the RC-r's, but then I realized that most the surrounds of that style were to wide for my columns, the CR-10's have about 1/2" on either side of my trim insets so it worked perfect for me. Are you still planning on hiding them inside the columns?

At this point I plan on mounting them on my columns but that is still up in the air and I will know more when I get them and take a look at them. I havent even started my columns so I can build them accordingly

post #107 of 1002 Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have their in walls in my living room and bedroom 5.1 setups, and have been happy with them. Will be interested to hear how their products work out for you in a dedicated room.

Brad great to know. How did you find them? What is your impression of their build quality and their sound quality? Do you think they will be ok for a dedicated room? The reviews I have read have ALL been good but to hear from an actual owner of their products is priceless

post #108 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well as I said insulation would be up faster than you can start to itch......so I was a little off on timing.

Front left corner of screen wall (still not 100% here)

Front right corner of screen wall, closet entrance and rack location (also still not 100% finished here). Also notice that fancy Middle Atlantic rack that is FOR SALE......Spread the word........PLEASE??

Left side wall looking toward the rear closet

Rear of the room

Front "media" closet

Rear closet entrance

Front right

I also spray foamed "most" of the gaps in the room but only took this picture for obvious reasons. Here is a little tip for you first timers. Only spray the area HALF full!!! I knew this prior to this happening as I worked for a company that supplied this stuff but I was just not paying attention.

Time to trim.....

post #109 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #110 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brad great to know. How did you find them? What is your impression of their build quality and their sound quality? Do you think they will be ok for a dedicated room? The reviews I have read have ALL been good but to hear from an actual owner of their products is priceless

Well, hard to say, as the rooms that I have them in aren't really set up with a lot of attention to audio (open concept living room connected to kitchen, dining room; hardwood floors; no acoustic treatments; no sub atm ), as its a casual living room space mostly just used for watching TV, or for a movie "until the real theater is done". So it would be pretty hard to judge how they'd hold up in a dedicated room.

Plus although they are the same manufacturer, they aren't the same model. These are the models I used in both living room and master bedroom (except in ceilings for surrounds in the living room):

http://www.htd.com/Products/high-def...-wall-speakers

No backer boxes, I just stuffed them in the walls. With all those caveats though, I'm still happy with them. When I had the sub connected before (I may move it back now that I have the THT LP built), it made for a pretty believable HT experience, even if it isn't at all "dedicated".

Quote:

Also notice that fancy Middle Atlantic rack that is FOR SALE......Spread the word........PLEASE??

What are you using instead?

Nice insulation - trippy how dead the room is with all the insulation in isn't it?
post #111 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well as progress (aka Accounts Payable Dept)goes in the HT the same can be said regarding "everything" else right now. I think its Murphy's Law, whatever could go wrong has gone wrong. It all started this past Saturday as my wife put together a great night out with a group of friends for my birthday. After dinner we all headed out to a local establishment for an evening never to be remembered......as "she" pulled into the parking lot she noticed the only parking spaces left were out in the back of the lot. Did I mention it had rained like the dickens all Friday and Saturday turning to snow by mid afternoon AND the bar rests on a lake. As she turned around in "said" back of the parking lot so that she didnt have to back out when it was time to leave she started to sink into the "swamp" which in turn caused her to panic which caused a chain reaction of over-acceleration and you can guess we sunk like the Titanic!! So at this point we are several inches deep in mud, myself and a few buddies attempt to rock her out of this situation but more "over-acceleration" caused her to sink all the way to the damn bumper!! So we decided this was about the end of what we could do that night, we would just leave it and get it in the morning when we could see. Well as we started toward the door a gentlemen pulls up with a truck and mentions the words "tow strap" to us. Good idea????......NOPE!!!!!!!!! My buddy got down close to the ground (not on it since again it was mud and everyone was dressed up for a night out) and attached said "tow strap" to what he "thought" was the correct location. Well guess what happened next.............yep ripped a pipe right out from underneath the truck and antifreeze poured out like an upside down geyser!! That was the end of moving the truck on our own! Sunday came we had it towed out ($85) and repaired on Monday (luckily $85)and we are up and running. Luckily we didnt do any major damage to anything under there.

So we move to last night (remember Murphys Law?) We get home, pull in the garage and proceed into the house hitting the garage door button as we close the door behind us. The sound we heard next will forever be imprinted in our minds. Quickly rushing back out hitting the lights we see the garage door is SEVERELY ****-eyed!! WTF????????? I have never had any garage door damage, failure,malfunction or repair experience in my life but this was a mess. The door was on the ground on one side but 3 feet up on the other??? One steel cable snapped the other as tight as a banjo string.....! So we struggled to lift, push and pull the door to get it sort of closed so that noone could get in overnight since this is where ALL my tools are. So as I write this I am sitting here waiting for the repair guys to get here to attempt to repair the latest obstacle in my life. It is truly ALWAYS something..............

I'm really not one to "one up" anyone... but my luck has been much worse....

I've been ready to sell my Harley for some time.... been waiting till spring when the dealership has its spring consignment saie. Our friends decide they are coming out to visit this past weekend... the weekend I was due to take the bike to the dealership to get an idea of what they could sell it for... Friday afternoon I have off... going to take the bike to the dealership... I decide it would be a GREAT idea to roll the bike into the driveway so I could sweep out the garage while also using the nail set to punch down the nails in the trim around the windows.... I guess that was just one too many things on my mind... while setting the nails I hear "C...R...U...N...C..H".... Look over and find the bike on its side... /sigh..... take the bike to the dealership.... the sales manager tells me "I can't sell it like that...".... GREAT!... The service manager tells me its probably $600-$1000 in damage.... I've had the thing for 4 years and never once droped it... the day I take it to sell it... it falls over on its own.
post #112 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamK View Post

I've been ready to sell my Harley for some time.... been waiting till spring when the dealership has its spring consignment saie. Our friends decide they are coming out to visit this past weekend... the weekend I was due to take the bike to the dealership to get an idea of what they could sell it for... Friday afternoon I have off... going to take the bike to the dealership... I decide it would be a GREAT idea to roll the bike into the driveway so I could sweep out the garage while also using the nail set to punch down the nails in the trim around the windows.... I guess that was just one too many things on my mind... while setting the nails I hear "C...R...U...N...C..H".... Look over and find the bike on its side... /sigh..... take the bike to the dealership.... the sales manager tells me "I can't sell it like that...".... GREAT!... The service manager tells me its probably $600-$1000 in damage.... I've had the thing for 4 years and never once droped it... the day I take it to sell it... it falls over on its own.

Wow I guess the bike did not want to leave you!

This is the word of O'Shea.....Thanks be to Beer.

CLICK HERE FOR BAR BUILD AND OTHER ASSORTED SHENANIGANS
post #113 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Wow it looks like you are making quick progress - You started your thread less than a month ago.
post #114 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Great progress. The one thing about insulation is that it does go relativity quickly. Keep up the excellent work. Nice to see your space is still clean!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #115 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wondered when it would be that I would read about the first multiplex HT theater build.. not many of us have the luxury of retiring to a HT after a hard day building an HT

You are seriously nuts

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #116 of 1002 Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, looking good buddy, looking good.

What are your plans for supplying the cables to the projector? Unless I missed it, but I didnt see any piping in that soffit.

Also, will you have access to that soffit from behind? Or atleast have a vent planned for additional air flow?

...And I even see that you started on drywall too in one of those pics...keep up the good work...baseball season is just around the corner!
post #117 of 1002 Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, hard to say, as the rooms that I have them in aren't really set up with a lot of attention to audio (open concept living room connected to kitchen, dining room; hardwood floors; no acoustic treatments; no sub atm ), as its a casual living room space mostly just used for watching TV, or for a movie "until the real theater is done". So it would be pretty hard to judge how they'd hold up in a dedicated room.

Plus although they are the same manufacturer, they aren't the same model. These are the models I used in both living room and master bedroom (except in ceilings for surrounds in the living room):

http://www.htd.com/Products/high-def...-wall-speakers

No backer boxes, I just stuffed them in the walls. With all those caveats though, I'm still happy with them. When I had the sub connected before (I may move it back now that I have the THT LP built), it made for a pretty believable HT experience, even if it isn't at all "dedicated".

What are you using instead?

Nice insulation - trippy how dead the room is with all the insulation in isn't it?

Well I received the htd surrounds on Monday and until I get a chance to really listen to them I will say two things. 1) these things were triple boxed AND had a heavy cloth bag over each one. And 2) they are very well made. Both solid and heavy.

As for the rack I am selling this one (IF ANYONE WANTS IT, ITS CHEAP)as its a bit too large for my needs so I plan to get a smaller one.

post #118 of 1002 Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamK View Post

Oh wow that really sucks!!

post #119 of 1002 Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Wow it looks like you are making quick progress - You started your thread less than a month ago.

Thanks, I actually started construction a month or 3 before that. Its an illusion

Quote:

Great progress. The one thing about insulation is that it does go relativity quickly. Keep up the excellent work. Nice to see your space is still clean!

Regards,

RTROSE

Yea the insulation is the fastest, easiest part of the build. Any yes still clean, one of these days I will dig up a picture of it in a disasterous state so you will believe me

post #120 of 1002 Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

I wondered when it would be that I would read about the first multiplex HT theater build.. not many of us have the luxury of retiring to a HT after a hard day building an HT

You are seriously nuts

Lmao that is the best. I can confirm that I am indeed nuts (and my wife will support it as well) but its fun..........isnt it?.........well it was
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Steve, looking good buddy, looking good.

What are your plans for supplying the cables to the projector? Unless I missed it, but I didnt see any piping in that soffit.

Also, will you have access to that soffit from behind? Or atleast have a vent planned for additional air flow?

...And I even see that you started on drywall too in one of those pics...keep up the good work...baseball season is just around the corner!

Actually I didnt document it much but looking back in some pictures its there but I did run a 2" conduit to the pj. It actually is a straight run to the side wall and into the laundry room so it should be a non concern. I really need to learn to take more pics

No airflow vent in the rear at this time however the way I built it adding one shouldnt be a problem. My pj is vented in the front so heat shouldnt be an issue.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Samsung Bd P1500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P1500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page