Just Another Guy Just Another Home Theater......Version 2.0 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1002 Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moving right along. Good luck with the drywall!

Chris

New House, New Wife, Hello Basement!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1002 Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Ya know Steve, there is just a small percentage of us who have 12 footers, most average men have 8 or 10 footers. Welcome to the 12 foot club! ;-)

Why don't you guys just get out your tape measures and be done with it?

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #183 of 1002 Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
That's a bad visual !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #184 of 1002 Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Twelve footers, hmm? Where are you getting your drywall lift from (you are getting one, right)?

Nah who needs one of them?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Wow 12 ' of 5/8" rock!
I hope you are hiring this out? Or at very least; have a chiropractor on retainer...?

Hire it out you say?? That aint a half bad idea

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #185 of 1002 Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Drywall already? Wow dude you are really coming along. Maybe I should start construction on a second theater and it might get finished before my first one. What do you think about that? My drywall guy used as big as sheets as he could in my build to reduce the seems and labor. I had my drywall "placed" and it was interesting to see those guys shoehorn the drywall into the basement. The extra it cost me to have the drywall placed was worth every cent.

Just to prove that Steve is not the only one around here that has 12 footers.

Ya know Steve, there is just a small percentage of us who have 12 footers, most average men have 8 or 10 footers. Welcome to the 12 foot club! ;-)

Regards,

RTROSE

Ahh the "12 foot club".......some can ONLY dream!! RT dont steal my plan of having theater #2 finished before #1. This is and always has been my plan and so far I am on the right track. Lets just hope I dont get ahead of myself and start work on version 3.0 before 2.0 or 1.0 is finished

post #186 of 1002 Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Why don't you guys just get out your tape measures and be done with it?

You say this as if we havent already thought of that??!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

That's a bad visual !!

Hey that hurts

post #187 of 1002 Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #188 of 1002 Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You are making great progress! I can't believe you are already at the drywall stage.

I want in that 12 footer club! In the main part of the basement, I used 12' x 4' - 1/2" drywall. In the theater, I used 12' x 54" - 5/8" My basement ceiling is 9' tall, so the 54" wide stuff required only one seam.

Man, that stuff was heavy, but I used a lift. Now, getting it on the lift was a challenge, but I was able to hang most of it by myself...

Get a lift man!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #189 of 1002 Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

You are making great progress! I can't believe you are already at the drywall stage.

I want in that 12 footer club! In the main part of the basement, I used 12' x 4' - 1/2" drywall. In the theater, I used 12' x 54" - 5/8" My basement ceiling is 9' tall, so the 54" wide stuff required only one seam.

Man, that stuff was heavy, but I used a lift. Now, getting it on the lift was a challenge, but I was able to hang most of it by myself...

Get a lift man!

Thanks for the self esteem boost but I was a bit underway before I started this new build thread so its a bit of smoke and mirrors therefore I will slow down shortly I promise. RT would say you need to provide a picture as proof to be a member of the 12 foot club but 12' x 54" just bumps you to the front. Thats a heavy piece of drywall. I actually am planning to hire it out as drywall is not something I like to do nor do I have the ability to do it well.

post #190 of 1002 Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Caked in drywall dust yet?
post #191 of 1002 Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Caked in drywall dust yet?

Key to that is hiring it out......

I did however receive my samples from fabricmate. I got the pseudo suede (forgot the actual name)in black, the anchorage in black and the GOM 701 in black. I must say now that I have seen the 701 in person I do actually like the look of it. On their site it appeared more "burlap-like" than it actually is. I am concerned of one thing however and that is being able to see through it. Is this a real concern? Do most people use this for their screen walls (possibly with speakers behind it) and side walls (over oc 703)? The pseudo suede is probably a no go as it attracts lint, hair and fuzz like a magnet and the last thing I want to be doing is cleaning the walls ALL the time. The anchorage is "ok" but I prefer the 701.

On semi related progress the wife and I were out last night browsing tvs as we will need one "down the road" to use in the original theater which will be converted to a family room. We went to the usual Best Buy, ABC warehouse (regional I believe), Walmart.....etc. Did a little price comparing and what not. Then after we were done we went to Sams Club as she wanted a membership since we let ours run out a few years back. So we got that taken care of and went on to browsing the "value size" boxes of crackers and 5 gallon jugs of mayo and wandered into the electronic section. There I looked over the selection of flat screens and their prices. I was not all that impressed to say the least so we moved on. We went over a few more aisles and stumbled through the furniture and at the end of that aisle we come upon the store manager, a sales associate and a customer. They are all looking at a tv and discussing prices etc. I decide to eavesdrop because I am nosey like that. Come to find out they have a 46" Phillips LED TV, open box for $500 and there are 2! So like a vulture I circle my prey and I hear the customer say "I will take this one and I will be right back I want to see if my brother wants the other". This is very discouraging since their regular price was $899. So I did the right thing and waited and waited all the while talking to the sales associate seeing if I can just take the second tv and be gone and he doesnt want to do that to the first guy since he was "interested" in it....blah blah blah. After about 10 mins I find the guy myself and ask him if he is taking the 2nd tv......he said no and the rest is history. We now (though not planned to purchase)own a 46" Phillips LED TV......and "stole" it for $500 even!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-46PFL7.../dp/B003DPM566

I will have to play with it a while to see if in fact I like the LED as we have a plasma and I really am pleased with the picture quality if a "good" plasma. Time will tell but for the price I couldnt say no.

post #192 of 1002 Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Steve, I had the same concern about the transparancy of the fabric. However, as long as there is no light behind the covered area, you wont see through it. I would recommend having framing painted black as often seen in other builds (actually not sure how you are utilizing the material so i am going on assumption here)

Think of it this way. Take the grills off of your speakers and hold it up and you can easily see through it but you cant see your speaker woofers or tweeters can you?

BTW, nice score on the tv.
post #193 of 1002 Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Nice score on the TV. I too prefer the "look" of plasma TV's. I am cautious of LED TV's as the only ones I have seen are in the Big Box stores and the colors look cartoonish, overblown and very bright. I would be very curious to see what someone (you) think about them when brought home and tweaked for home use after watching the plasma.

Man, it sounds like I'm raining on your new purchase, quite the opposite. I now know someone who actually has one and can give a unbiased opinion on what they think.

Looking forward to your "review".

Now get to drywalling, or at least hiring it out.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #194 of 1002 Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Steve, I had the same concern about the transparancy of the fabric. However, as long as there is no light behind the covered area, you wont see through it. I would recommend having framing painted black as often seen in other builds (actually not sure how you are utilizing the material so i am going on assumption here)

Think of it this way. Take the grills off of your speakers and hold it up and you can easily see through it but you cant see your speaker woofers or tweeters can you?

BTW, nice score on the tv.

Did you use GOM 701 on your screen wall? Its been so long I cant recall.

post #195 of 1002 Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice score on the TV. I too prefer the "look" of plasma TV's. I am cautious of LED TV's as the only ones I have seen are in the Big Box stores and the colors look cartoonish, overblown and very bright. I would be very curious to see what someone (you) think about them when brought home and tweaked for home use after watching the plasma.

Man, it sounds like I'm raining on your new purchase, quite the opposite. I now know someone who actually has one and can give a unbiased opinion on what they think.

Looking forward to your "review".

Now get to drywalling, or at least hiring it out.

Regards,

RTROSE

I am a plasma super fan to be completely honest so I will say that there isnt much in the LCD/LED category that will compare in this price range to the plasmas. We looked at a million tvs and I will say that the $2k and up units did look a bit better than plasmas though. So far I will say that I "like" this tv......as much as the plasma? Not ready to say that yet. The plasma we have was a "higher" end Samsung and IMHO Samsung TVs are almost impossible to beat when it comes to PQ. So when we set out I was thinking Samsung plasma all the way but being open minded I decided to try out this led/lcd. Right now we are using it as our "main" tv in the living room. The one immediate drawback is the speakers. With the Samsung we rarely had to fire up the surround sound in there as the set speakers are pretty solid. This unit I is the opposite, the sound is somewhat "boxy" but I will either get used to it OR use the surround sound more. As for the PQ, I will say primary colors REALLY pop off the screen and look awesome. The first drawback that I see is the color of people, they appear a bit un-natural but I am sure that I need to adjust something in the color/tint/sharpness category but I am not sure what?! The big drawback with LED and LCDs is their response time as they have trouble refreshing and keeping up with fast movements (ie sports). Well so far I am very pleased in that aspect as this unit is 120hz (I know not 240hz but at least its not 60hz as a lot of them are)and has a refresh rate of 2ms which is VERY good. I was told prior if I were to go led/lcd to get one that had at least a 4-5ms so 2ms is real good. The tv is very thin and VERY light compared to the plasma which really isnt a big deal except for when mounting it. Overall so far I am happy but not blown away. Its a tv and for $500 out the door for a 46" 1080p LED TV how could I of not pulled the trigger?.....right??!!

post #196 of 1002 Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you get a hold of Avia with the color filters? Or does the Blu-Ray of Digitial Essentials come with color filters? Definitely the place to start with the color/hue settings...
post #197 of 1002 Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar View Post

Can you get a hold of Avia with the color filters? Or does the Blu-Ray of Digitial Essentials come with color filters? Definitely the place to start with the color/hue settings...

This comment has lost me completely which is not hard to do. Care to elaborate?

post #198 of 1002 Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

This comment has lost me completely which is not hard to do. Care to elaborate?

Steve,

Excellent explanation of your initial impression of your set. Thanks.

I think he was trying to say if the skin tones and colors are off you could use a calibration disc with the color filters to get the colors and skin tones more life like.

On many of the THX certified discs there is a THX Optimizer as well to use.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #199 of 1002 Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Did you use GOM 701 on your screen wall? Its been so long I cant recall.

Yes it is
post #200 of 1002 Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think he was trying to say if the skin tones and colors are off you could use a calibration disc with the color filters to get the colors and skin tones more life like.

On many of the THX certified discs there is a THX Optimizer as well to use.

Yup, that's what I was referring to. On many of the THX discs (I just used Up! a few weeks back, so I know that has it too) there is an "optimizer" which will help you set sharpness, brightness, and contrast/picture. Definitely something worth doing.

To set Color and Tint properly though, you need to view the screen through a blue filter. It's just a clear blue strip of plastic, which allows you to see red and green without blue mixed in. Essentially, color and tint settings adjust the balance of Red and Green against the constant blue output, so without a good test pattern and a blue filter, it's very difficult to adjust them properly. At any rate, I just checked their website and it looks like "Digital Video Essentials HD-Basics Blu-Ray" comes with a filter too, so either Avia or it should work. I haven't used DVE HD so I can't comment on the product as a whole. It should fix your color issues though.

The full title of disc I've always used and loved is called "Avia: A Guide to Home Theatre", which has pretty good in-depth explanations about each of the main picture settings, what they do, and how to set them. Unfortunately it's getting old in the tooth as it was made when CRT's were still the norm, so some of the explanations don't apply any more to digital TV's. However, there are numerous sound tests as well that are extremely usefull, as well as some other screen patterns that detect overscan, etc; so the disc isn't only good for the main picture settings. Oh, Avia also has a pattern for green push and if you're finding the skin tones still off, that may be an issue as well.
post #201 of 1002 Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy Crap...I leave for a few months and all THIS happens...they shoulda never let you outta yer straight jacket....but since i suppose you are this far along already, you might was well keep going. I just thumbed threw the first few pages, i'm looking forward to see what all you've really done!

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #202 of 1002 Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh that stack of drywall literally makes me sick to my stomach. I've re-habed half a dozen houses...and i still hate drywall...always have, always will.

Sent you a PM, when you have time to check it.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #203 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Holy Crap...I leave for a few months and all THIS happens...they shoulda never let you outta yer straight jacket....but since i suppose you are this far along already, you might was well keep going. I just thumbed threw the first few pages, i'm looking forward to see what all you've really done!

They should have warned you NOT to leave me unattended as its extremely unsafe. Wait until i start on version 3.0.........

post #204 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw my live gamer tag is dp CarnagE qb , im not on much these days, but i do play halo...I know you are more of a CoD guy right?

If you like RPGs, check out the new LoTR game coming, "War in the North" it promises to be pretty epic....

When i get a PJ setup you can bet you'll see me online a lot more.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #205 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Btw my live gamer tag is dp CarnagE qb , im not on much these days, but i do play halo...I know you are more of a CoD guy right?

If you like RPGs, check out the new LoTR game coming, "War in the North" it promises to be pretty epic....

When i get a PJ setup you can bet you'll see me online a lot more.

I play only call of duty modern warfare 2 and some sports games. I am not a fan (at all) of Halo as my son has it. Unfortunately I play online WAY too much hence the reason I am getting nothing done downstairs I will send you a friend request when I get on here in a bit.

post #206 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I play only call of duty modern warfare 2 and some sports games. I am not a fan (at all) of Halo as my son has it. Unfortunately I play online WAY too much hence the reason I am getting nothing done downstairs I will send you a friend request when I get on here in a bit.

Awesome. I should really pick up CoD. I have an old college friend that plays that as well. Right now im pinching every penny ;-)

Shades of Grey Theater

post #207 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome. I should really pick up CoD. I have an old college friend that plays that as well. Right now im pinching every penny ;-)

Gamestop $20 or so or check ebay or wait to get a pj...

post #208 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gamestop $20 or so or check ebay or wait to get a pj...

hmmm i may have a gamestop giftcard laying around somewhere...

What CoD are they on now? Arent there like 5,387 of them? Or was it 4...i cant remember....

I'm a first person shooter from WAY back...I used to play Quake 2 online, and then the Mod Action Quake, when that came out...and then of course, Half life and the Mod Counter Strike...which eventually became its own stand alone game...blah blah...i never really got into counsel gaming until halo came out, and i bought myself an xbox as a graduation present.....since then my PC gaming has been limited to RPGs.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #209 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmmm i may have a gamestop giftcard laying around somewhere...

What CoD are they on now? Arent there like 5,387 of them? Or was it 4...i cant remember....

I'm a first person shooter from WAY back...I used to play Quake 2 online, and then the Mod Action Quake, when that came out...and then of course, Half life and the Mod Counter Strike...which eventually became its own stand alone game...blah blah...i never really got into counsel gaming until halo came out, and i bought myself an xbox as a graduation present.....since then my PC gaming has been limited to RPGs.

They are on black ops which I believe is #7 but mw2 (if black ops is 7 its #6) is a far superior game. I just recently started playing this type of game so I'm terrible but do enjoy it

post #210 of 1002 Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Quote:

They are on black ops which I believe is #7 but mw2 (if black ops is 7 its #6) is a far superior game. I just recently started playing this type of game so I'm terrible but do enjoy it

I still like both - initially when Black Ops came out, I didn't like it as much, but now prefer it slightly - mainly because every game isn't filled with noob tubes and full auto shotguns that kill in one shot even if you miss by 6 feet.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Denon Avr 988 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Samsung Bd P1500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P1500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page