AVS Forum banner
142K views 1K replies 63 participants last post by  Iusteve 
#1 ·
Well I've done it, Ive finally gone insane!!

February 11, 2009 almost a year ago to the date I set out to build a modest version on an extremely modest budget of what I had seen all over AVS and for the next 8 months I converted an already finished space into an open concept theater/bar area. While it was a success, in the back of my mind I was constantly questioning myself on the way I did some things or didnt do others. The whole time thinking to myself what if? I guess you can say I had one of the earliest cases of upgraditis known to man. This brings me to today. On the other side of our basement was an unfinished space, a blank canvas that we intended on converting into a spare bedroom and an office. Well to me it was a no brainer......THIS would be home theater version 2.0!! Well it took a bit of convincing to get my wife on board but in all she is a very easy going person and it wasnt a hard sell. All I had to do was renovate one of our bathrooms first. Well that is now behind me and it is time to move on to Version 2.0.

In this build thread I will detail (as much as I remember to take pics) the new dedicated theater as well as some upgrades I have planned for my bar. I plan to wrap the front in some sort of faux stone and such. The new theater will be dedicated yes but no plans for sound containment or sound isolation are in the blueprints. I had several conversations with some "experts" in that field around here and came to the conclusion that since one of my theater walls was framed and attached to the main beam in the house that isolating sound from traveling up and through that would be quite difficult. In all honesty sound escaping the theater is not a concern of mine and sound entering the theater from outside the room is a non issue as well since we are usually all in there at the same time. I do plan however on doing several things as far as insulation to bring the temperature up in the room. In northern Indiana it gets quite cold over the winter especially in the basement. The other side is very poorly insulated in the walls, carpet/pad directly on the concrete and a drop ceiling with no insulation. That combo makes for a cold experience this time of year.

The Room and Plans

The room is roughly 13' x 24' with a 91" ceiling height. These measurements are pre-framing. I also will have a small storage closet under the stairs in the back of the room. I will be incorporating a Middle Atlantic rack built into the wall in the front right side of the room with access via another closet up there. This is the only place that I can fit this closet and I really wanted to be able to walk in a closet and behind the rack to access connections and such. I will do two rows of seating with a riser in the rear. Speaker setup will be 7.1 or 7.2 as I have yet to decide. The projector will be built into a soffit roughly 15' back from the screen wall and screen size or format is still undecided. I would love to do 2.35:1 if I can make it work with my narrow room. I cant however do AT. My plans are to do a false screen wall on either side to hide my fronts and columns on the sides and rear to conceal my surrounds.

Current Gear

I have all my gear but do plan some upgrades before its all said and done.

Projector: Panasonic pt-ax200u probably upgrading to the Panny pt-ae400u.

Receiver: Denon AVR-988 possibly upgrading to the AVR-4310.

Bluray: Samsung BDP-1500

Directv h23-600

Xbox Slim S

Subwoofer: SVS-PC12NSD

Speakers: C-300 fronts, C-C100 center and C-100 surrounds. I may upgrade my surrounds to possibly the CR-10's or some other bipole/dipole speaker.

Seating: I do have a set of 3 Berklines that are barely broke in but they are dark brown and I think I want black. I may sell these and purchase a set of 5 to make a row of 3 and a row of 2.

Colors and carpeting to be determined at a later date. I also plan to do some sort of wall treatments but that will also be determined down the road.

As for a room layout diagram or sketch up I really have failed in this category as I cant really get the hang of google sketchup. I went ahead and made a not-so-fancy drawing on a piece of paper for my good buddy RTROSE who said that I "had to have a drawing of some sort". Well that is enough babbling from me, I will now open it up for discussion and please feel free to chime in at anytime, it helps keep me on track and motivated.
See you all at the end of this build lets just hope that comes sooner rather than later.

Here is a top notch sketch of the room with what are to believed to be the finished (framed/drywalled) dimensions to help give you all a visual of the space. Sorry its all I've got

See less See more
#2 ·
It is only fitting that I am the first to post on the new thread! So here I is! Bout dang nab time you started a "Proper" build thread. The other thread was looking too much like Hanes!

Regards,

RTROSE

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/20034985

It is only fitting that I am the first to post on the new thread! So here I is! Bout dang nab time you started a "Proper" build thread. The other thread was looking too much like Hanes!

Regards,

RTROSE

Haaa that is probably a fair comparison though mine wasn't littered with all the funny pictures
. Lets not tell him where we are or this one may be covered with them as well

#4 ·

#5 ·
Why can't you do AT - won't leave room for two rows, or brings the rack location too close to the screen... Or ?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian /forum/post/20035921

Oh no he found us..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20035972

Why can't you do AT - won't leave room for two rows, or brings the rack location too close to the screen... Or ?
A few reasons Brad including it would put the screen too close to the closet door and rack as well as it makes two rows a bit tighter than I prefer. I think scope will be good as long as I can squeeze something of decent size in a narrow room?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug /forum/post/20036795

Well, its about time Steve!

Subscribed.

So Steve, just what is your plans for the other side of the basement? Theater 3.0?
That my friend is funny!!! Actually as I sit here now the plans for version 1.0's space is a family room and general hang out room but who knows maybe version 3.0 should be in the plans

#8 ·
New build thread, ya-hoo!

And you even provided a floor plan, so we can start, er, critiquing right from the start. Of course, some pictures of the space would not hurt...

Quick question - you said you already have three Berk's, how wide are then if you line them up side-by-side? With less than 13 feet of width, getting a row of three in there might be tight.

Also, since you mentioned going with black Berk's instead of brown, do you have a color scheme picked out?

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty
New build thread, ya-hoo!

And you even provided a floor plan, so we can start, er, critiquing right from the start. Of course, some pictures of the space would not hurt...

Quick question - you said you already have three Berk's, how wide are then if you line them up side-by-side? With less than 13 feet of width, getting a row of three in there might be tight.

Also, since you mentioned going with black Berk's instead of brown, do you have a color scheme picked out?
Critique away my friend. I will post some pics of the space tomorrow as its past my bedtime. I have a set of 3 berks that is about 100" wide. They are in my theater room (version 1.0) which is the same width as this room and there is plenty of room. The various seats I have been looking at vary from 89"-106" so I should be able to find something that will fit the back of the room. Since there is a little more space where the main entrance is I "should" be ok. I plan on black seating and black wall treatments atleast half way up the wall. The top half color is still to be determined and would love to have any input I could get from you all. I also will be painting the ceiling black and the screen wall will be black fabric of some sort.

#10 ·
Well due to a mental lapse I failed to take any pics of the room either while full of junk (as it was a storage room prior to this)or after I cleaned it out and prior to any construction starting so the first pics I have are starting now. In an attempt to warm this room up substantially I decided to place 1" poly foam board around the perimeter seeing how it adds an extra R-5 of R-value (every little bit helps right?). I attached it to the concrete with PL foam board adhesive. Again I was a little slow at snapping pictures at the beginning so I only have a few but these arent that exciting anyway.

Screen wall

Side wall....the weight bench is there to help keep me in shape during this build.......or just as a tool storage shelf

Another of the rear side wall looking toward rear closet and the very important pile o' lumber

Here is another of the rear wall, pile o' lumber and main entrance. That wall was already framed as it is the stairwell wall.

#11 ·
Looking good. You won't regret doing something towards insulation to help moderate the basement temps. I would also suggest since it is still open to either put more of the "fluffy stuff" around your rim joists areas, or remove what you have and buy a higher "R" value to put in the space. It is surprising how much thermal energy is lost in this area because of the exposure directly to the elements.

Now that you have actual construction photos, including one with a wood pile, Hanes should be pleased, no actually, he should be proud of you.

Regards,

RTROSE

#13 ·
I'm betting on tool storage shelf, seeing as there's no actual weight on the bar. =)

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/20038292

Looking good. You won't regret doing something towards insulation to help moderate the basement temps. I would also suggest since it is still open to either put more of the "fluffy stuff" around your rim joists areas, or remove what you have and buy a higher "R" value to put in the space. It is surprising how much thermal energy is lost in this area because of the exposure directly to the elements.

Now that you have actual construction photos, including one with a wood pile, Hanes should be pleased, no actually, he should be proud of you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Way ahead of you my friend these pics are prior to "any" ceiling insulation issues being addressed. What you see is what the builder place up there and it will all be removed (if it hasnt already
)

I hope that hanes is proud of me. Maybe he is even proud enough to stop bye and wish me much success?!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 /forum/post/20038580

iusteve,

Damn - it really does exist. Can't believe I am a little late to this party. Or; is it that this "new" thread is very late to a party that started a long time ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20039070

I'm betting on tool storage shelf, seeing as there's no actual weight on the bar. =)

Craig lets just say the party is just beginning!

Brad congrats as you were the first to point this out and be absolutely correct!

#16 ·
About time

#17 ·
Steve, I see you are planning a rack in the front right of the screen wall. From your sketch (is that the new version of sketchup???)
it looks like you might have some room in the back right of the room....just wondering if you considered putting the rack in the back, that way the door, rack, lights, etc... wont be in your viewing path of the screen.

If I understand your pics and setup, you could have an entrance to the back of your rack immediately to the right of the entrance to your 2.0 theatre (sort of like a very short hallway before you enter the room...Is there room there?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20038239

Another of the rear side wall looking toward rear closet and the very important pile o' lumber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20039515

I hope that hanes is proud of me. Maybe he is even proud enough to stop bye and wish me much success?!

Any build involving wood piles is, by definition, successful.

Least-wise, that's what I keep telling myself, and so far I believe me.

Way to go, Steve. I just never thought I'd live to see the day you actually began HT 2.0, much less the build thread for it.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug
Steve, I see you are planning a rack in the front right of the screen wall. From your sketch (is that the new version of sketchup???)
it looks like you might have some room in the back right of the room....just wondering if you considered putting the rack in the back, that way the door, rack, lights, etc... wont be in your viewing path of the screen.

If I understand your pics and setup, you could have an entrance to the back of your rack immediately to the right of the entrance to your 2.0 theatre (sort of like a very short hallway before you enter the room...Is there room there?
As far as layout I am very limited. I did originally consider the rack in the back corner (not sure if it was the same corner as your thoughts)but it did not work out. I cant put an access door to the right (which side is right?) as when you enter the theater (facing inward at the door) the stairs are on your left and a wall/doorway to the laundry room is on your right. On the other side of the angled wall when you enter the door is the furnace and water heater and there is zero room there. Up in the front right will be the only option. There will be some sort of column to house a speaker before the rack so it should "help" to block some of the equipment lighting however the only piece that I have that is bright is my receiver and it has dimmable display so I dont forsee a problem......I hope.

And by the way yes that is the latest version of sketchup.......called Sketchup 13 enjoy!

#20 ·
Hanes thanks for the appearance and glad to see you around these parts lately. Dont worry I wont show any progress that will appear any faster than the introduction of build thread 2.0

#21 ·
Hey Steve,

Glad to see you finally start on the new thread. Maybe this will help motivate me to update my thread. Subscribed.

#22 ·
Thanks Scott and glad to see you back around these parts. Don't finish up too fast I don't want to be left in the dust here.

#23 ·
So in the honor of progress I present the exciting world of framing.

First the left side wall and rear closet

Another of the same wall moving toward the front of the room

And the screen wall

And front right screen wall corner and a look at the future media closet area, just as soon as I find a home for ALL that crap

More to come tomorrow.......maybe?!

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/20053577

Excellent progress my friend, well done. Keep up the great work.

Regards,

RTROSE

Smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors! If I try hard enough I may be able to make drywall appear.......

#26 ·
I have a question for anyone that may know. What is the proverbial cut off for a walk path between the edge of your riser and a wall? With my dimensions I may be limited to a max of 24". Is this sufficient?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.