DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #271 of 1522 Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GoCaboNow those pics look amazing! I want to do the same.

A question for you, or anyone else here -- what size are you getting the posters printed? Most of my posters are 24 x 36. Looking at the pre-made frames I'm seeing stock, inexpensive, 24x48 or expensive custom 24x36.

But with what is being said about the stretch of the fabric, I'd think I'd want to have a border, right? GoCaboNow, yours have a black "frame" around them, is that just extra fabric printed black? And then do you keep the image 24x36 but print something maybe 36x60 to have excess to fold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1522 Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
My posters were 24x36.

I then extended the canvas in photoshop to something like 28x40 and colored the background layer black. That gave me 2 inches on each side to wrap around the 1.5 "frame with a little bit to spare.
post #273 of 1522 Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM
tcc

Liked: 17
Thinking about using this instead of the fibreglass insulation
http://www.eco-building.ca/pdf/ultratouch.pdf

@muaysteve: did you have to wear gear when using the insulation as to not breath in the fibres or get it all over yourself?

@everyone: did everyone add the shoe moulding as per the original op to the frame to stretch the fabric?
post #274 of 1522 Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Cool thread and read.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #275 of 1522 Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc View Post

Thinking about using this instead of the fibreglass insulation
http://www.eco-building.ca/pdf/ultratouch.pdf

@muaysteve: did you have to wear gear when using the insulation as to not breath in the fibres or get it all over yourself?

@everyone: did everyone add the shoe moulding as per the original op to the frame to stretch the fabric?

I didn't need to wear a mask. I've worked with roxul a couple of times and it is not that dusty. I would only be concerned if you were insulating your basement or working with it over head. Cutting a few sheets of it on a cement floor in my garage was no issue.

I did not use the rails when I made my frames, and my canvases look nice and flush without the frame showing through at all. I also did not glue in my roxul. I just friction fit it, which allowed me to push it forward or back as needed to make sure the canvas looked flush.
post #276 of 1522 Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

The ultra touch stuff looks a little soft. The Roxul and the Fiberglass products that everyone recommends here are very dense and heavy. I assume (not anywhere near an authority) that is because a denser, heavier material will help absorb more sound.
post #277 of 1522 Old 06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have been following this thread for a long time and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge. I noticed somebody pointed out I can get custom size frames made. 24x36 will work fine for most of my stuff, but I actually merged a bedroom with part of my garage so I need to cover the electrical pane. For that I have a 27x40 poster covering it with a matching one on the other wall. I have downloaded a bunch of posters off the movie DB, but what pixel count do I need to not lose image quality?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #278 of 1522 Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

One other thing, I currently have 8 posters in a 12.5x21x9 room. Adding some acoustic control is better than none I guess, but can I have to much?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #279 of 1522 Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

I can't answer the acoustic question, you might want to try the acoustic panel master thread.

Edit: here is the link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/255432/acoustical-treatments-master-thread

Your 27x40 poster is really only a little bit bigger then the 24x36 that most of us have been doing. I would try to get an image that was at least 2000px in the width. The higher the better.
post #280 of 1522 Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

One other thing, I currently have 8 posters in a 12.5x21x9 room. Adding some acoustic control is better than none I guess, but can I have to much?

I am sure that there is a calcuated maximum, but keep in mind that some theaters have the entire walls covered with fabric and different panel types underneath.
post #281 of 1522 Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I can build a computer from scratch not problem. However, I am not the greatest handy man nor do I have the tools for this type of stuff. Would it be possible to buy one of these panels and then take their fabric off and put the spoonflower print over them? Or, even just put the print over their fabric?

http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-321-acoustic-panels/

It's either that or find somebody in San Antonio and hire them. :-)

Lowell

post #282 of 1522 Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

You could definitely put the spoonflour print over the existing panel without much issue I would think.
post #283 of 1522 Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Great thread! The info here helped inspire me to swap out my existing movie posters for these fabric ones.

My main motivation was eliminating all reflective surfaces on the walls and fabric'd the upper walls, soffit bottoms and, of course, these posters. I tried to shoot for poster content that had a minimum of light coloring to disappear during movies and am very happy with how these look and perform. The frames are simple pine 1x2's and ripped the bezels from OSB and then covered with black velvet. Cheap and easy. smile.gif

I was able to go with some of the same posters I had before, and while the fabric posters are not as photo realistic as their paper counterparts, the family likes the different look they give.

The pics are a little washed out

I think this looks great !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #284 of 1522 Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

+1
post #285 of 1522 Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve View Post

+1

Thank you

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #286 of 1522 Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what the single largest image they can print is? When I went to the site and used the upload tool, it looked like it maxed out at 42".

I am wanting to cover a single 24" x 48" x 4" (thick) acoustical panel for the back wall of my theater. We have always nick-named my theater the "Starlight Theatre" and I want to get some star background with a logo on it that reflects that name, but that means about 58" for one direction.

I can manage to do the graphics work just fine to get it clear at whatever size, but if I can't get something that is essentially 35" x 59" then I can't do it. frown.gif
post #287 of 1522 Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM

Liked: 10
Nickbuol, I just got my order and our picture would have been too tall so we just rotated it and printed it sideways. Couldn't you do that and make it as long as you want?
post #288 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbc3 View Post

Nickbuol, I just got my order and our picture would have been too tall so we just rotated it and printed it sideways. Couldn't you do that and make it as long as you want?

I hear what you are saying, however when I go to the upload screen (using a very large image file that I had laying around), it just crops off anything outside of 36 high (not a problem because I would just rotate the image "sideways") but also anything longer than 42".

I need to be able to go 35" x 59" and I am limited to 36" (again not a problem with that one) x 42"

Here is a picture that should come out to 59" on the upload, but it gets cropped at 42"...

How do I get around that cropping off at 42"?
post #289 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 AM

Liked: 147
If you look at your Design Size in the center of the right side of the screen, you will see you have 24" by 38" selected. You have to change the design size via the Bigger button. I would also select Centered, at the top of the right hand side.
post #290 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, let me give more information...

I get the same result when centered or not, and I actually clicked the "smaller" button one time so that you could actually see the resemblance of the image I was testing with. The image is already cropped, so making it bigger just cropped more off.

I don't see the 24" x 38" measurement that you are talking about. I see 52.24" x 38"... wink.gif

I am at work, so I did another quick test, with the image centered and large. Just more cropping. I don't care about the top and bottom getting cropped off due to the limitation of the fabric in that dimension (and since my final image will be smaller than that in that dimension), but I need to be able to get a lot more width than 42"

Here is a fresh image. I used one with a size that didn

Here is what my test image looks like (again, this is NOT what I am going to use, I just want to figure out if this is possibly before building panel frames and this picture was brought up in another thread recently). You can see how the width is cropped significantly. (so is the top/bottom, but I am looking for a "wide" fabric reproduction)

I am so confused on how to get this to work.... eek.gif

EDIT: Here is a quick (yes, I did this in MS Excel) idea of what I am going for. A 2' x 4' x4" acoustical panel with the custom fabric. Effective measurements to account for the visible image (24" x 48") plus the width of the frame (.5" on all sides), plus the depth of the frame (4") plus enough to wrap and staple on the back (2") means a total uploaded and printed on fabric image of 35" x 59"

post #291 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM

I was referring to the picture you had initially posted since it has those sizes listed...I see you have the same problem when the size is larger. Did you try going the entire way through the creation process? It just creates the job but not actually makes you buy it yet, so you can safely do it. I seem to remember I had some funky issues as well with my large picture but it was long ago and I do not remember what it was.
post #292 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

My original picture in post 288 was 57.24" x 36" as noted on the screen image, but no matter. The problem is still the same. I will try going through the whole process (just short of actually ordering it) and see what happens.
post #293 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 AM

OH! I did not notice there was a decimal in there and only saw the 24..heh, sorry for the confusion.
post #294 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Fixed it. Geez, sometimes I feel like a doofus.

I just needed to rotate it again, and then select QTY 2 (instead of QTY1)...

So obvious now. Thanks for the help. Now tonight I get to start on some artwork to use. smile.gif

post #295 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM

AH! I remember now, I did the EXACT same thing! That was my error. You are in good company. smile.gif
post #296 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
...so apparently Spoonflower has no issue with printing obviously copyrighted material?
post #297 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

...so apparently Spoonflower has no issue with printing obviously copyrighted material?

Not sure about their official policy. That would be a good question for someone that had them done. My sample picture above is not what I am printing. I am just creating unique artwork with no copyrighted material.

(just don't spoil it for others though) cool.gif
post #298 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Not sure about their official policy. That would be a good question for someone that had them done. My sample picture above is not what I am printing. I am just creating unique artwork with no copyrighted material.

(just don't spoil it for others though) cool.gif

They state in their terms that you are responsible for making sure you are allowed to use the image you are uploading. But in my personal opinion, the reality is that no one is going to care unless you a doing it with the intent to sell and make a profit. Especially in a medium like this that is well outside anything anyone is selling anywhere else.

With that said, I would say out of this whole process that whoever is running moviepostersdb.com is the most likely to draw fire. They literally resell copy righted images that people upload to them.
megdagooch likes this.
post #299 of 1522 Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The reason I ask is because I'm looking to get movie poster panels done, but it seems no company who does art panels is willing to look the other way. Considering that people sell and profit from movie posters every day, I don't see the problem with printing licensed content for one-time, personal use.
post #300 of 1522 Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just ordered the Color Map on a yard of Kona Cotton. It is running just under $20 for it which seems a little crazy since I am currently planning on a single panel that will run about $40 shipped, but I want to make sure that the colors are complimentary to my room paint/furniture. Maybe I will end up with something printed from them that will cover the other 8 panels in the room (4 on each side wall that are 2'x3' on the face of them). That would run about $90 for all 8 of them shipped. That for custom printed vs. about $45 for the fabric I was looking at via JoAnn Fabrics (after 50% coupon) that is "close enough" isn't too bad.

Unfortunately, it takes about 2 weeks from time of order to get the color map. I guess I should have ordered it a few weeks back.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page