Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride
I just wanted to contribute my results and pass along many thanks to all the people who have contributed information in this threat over the years! I sourced all my images from google images by specifying images "larger then X MP" where I had X set as high as possible while still finding images I liked. I ended up going with movie posters from A New Hope, Back to the Future, Superman, Indiana Jones, Toy Story, and The Matrix. I made the movie posters exactly 24"x36" to match the frames I made, and then added a 3" border to each side. For the borders, I made them a mirror image, so when I wrapped the fabric it looked like the image continued around the side, I think that worked out really well. Once I had all 6 images, I combined them into 2 separate images of 3 posters each so I could group them onto a piece of fabric. I first tried one massive image, but even though it was under the file size limit, apparently the resolution was too high and the system reported it. Each of my two submitted images were 6300x13500 at 150dpi. I first tried printing through Spoonflower, but that order got canceled. So I then ordered through MyFabricDesigns.com and use Combed Cotton. It took about 2 weeks for me from ordering to receiving it in the mail. I was extremely pleased with the print quality.
Mounting the fabric went pretty well. I ended up mounting them with duct tape first so I could tweak the positioning before stapling them into place. I definitely recommend this approach. I am also glad I didn't go with a stretchy material. It was hard enough to get the words and lines straight, and I think that would have been a nightmare with a stretchy material. In hindsight I would have made my images 0.5" smaller than the frame size, so that I could stretch it more when wrapping it. Other than that, I'm thrilled with the result. Visually they are awesome (Especially the toy story poster, that one just pops!), and they made a large difference on the acoustics in my room. My wife even noticed the improvement so that says something!
Looks really good. You are the 2nd person (that I remember) that went with the "gallery wrap" style borders. I did them for someone here a few years ago as well.
I think that they can look really nice, but can get a bit "funky" when working with mirrored lettering. For the ones I had done, there was no text on the images. An option for others if they go that route would be to just have the text removed from the border area only. Gives people a lot of options.
Poster with text/solid color border
Poster with text/gallery wrapped border (with mirrored text)
Poster with text/gallery wrapped border (with text removed from border area)
Poster without text/solid color border
Poster without text/gallery wrapped border (no text obviously)
Thanks for posting about your experience.
I've gone back and forth with people about final front-face image (the "poster" or whatever you want to see, not the border) size over the years. Some want it spot on to their dimensions, others want it a hair smaller so that they can stretch the fabric a bit to make sure that it doesn't sag, and to help remove some wrinkles. 0.5" is quite a bit though. I would suggest people that want a slightly smaller front-face image to allow for some stretching, to reduce by about 1/8" to 1/4" max. Some fabrics have almost zero stretch at all, and it will be tough to get even 1/4" of stretch. Plus, the more that you stretch it, the more that it will be prone to distortion.
I also like your tape first, staple later approach. That is something that I've recommended several times over the years, but I am not sure that many people actually do it. They get so excited to staple up their fabric, and they rush it. You offered up a good reminder to people to just take your time and that it will turn out very nice.
Your room looks great by the way.