DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 935Likes

Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
I ended up finding the lighter weight ProRox SL930 (formerly called RHT40) from InsulationSaver. They can ship to a warehouse up here. It was $52 for a bag of 7 boards, but more importantly, the acoustical characteristics a pretty close to OC703 and equivalents. At 3.5pcf it is much closer in density.

PRODUCT THICKNESSDENSITY 125HZ 250HZ 500HZ 1000HZ 2000HZ 4000HZ NRC
703, plain 2" (51mm) 3.0 pcf (48 kg/m3) 0.17 0.86 1.14 1.07 1.02 0.98 1
RHT 40 2" (51mm) 3.5 pcf (56 kg/m3) 0.26 0.68 1.14 1.13 1.06 1.07 1

Nickbuol, I appreciate your input and totally agree with you. I'm trying to stay on budget and get most of the way there, but don't want to through even a small amount of money at something that won't be good enough.

Next steps is to order up some prints - Nickbuol, here is where I really need could us a little digital help or advice from you. You probably already have the digital files already built out for most of my images hopefully. Could I PM you to describe what I'm hoping to do?
Shoot me a PM. I am a bit busy right now (slowly working through requests still though). My youngest is graduating from high school in just under 2 weeks and I am not only in charge of the large landscaping projects that I've been working on for over 6 weeks, but also have my hand deep into everything related to photos and videos (including a slideshow that I just started tonight - for my oldest who got married last year, I spent about 30 hours getting everything "just right" so that won't happen this time). Throw in 4 hours Tuesday and Thursday for the orchestra and band concerts that she is in (they are longer due to senior recognition) and a "grad roast" for 3 hours on Wednesday, and it is getting deep into crunch time. LOL

But seriously. Shoot me a PM and I will at least get you into the mix of stuff. With any luck I may have some images already started or even done. Do NOT take my comments about about the craziness as being unwilling to help. Quite the opposite, I like working on the images for people here on my laptop while my desktop is doing some video rendering of stuff, so I can multi-task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After reading through most of this thread I've come to this conclusion....image size and quality is everything when it comes to these panels. The problem I'm seeing is that all of the images I am searching for are nowhere near the size they need to be. For instance,this one I am interested in having on three different panels but,the only image size I can find is 811x456.

I also like @xylem 's three panel Falcon but, I'm at a loss on where to find these images that are large enough to look decent on that size panel. When I use the design tool on myfabricdesigns I get a preview with 10 pics of the same image across the yard of fabric.

Can anyone suggest where to get these images?
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase25 View Post
After reading through most of this thread I've come to this conclusion....image size and quality is everything when it comes to these panels. The problem I'm seeing is that all of the images I am searching for are nowhere near the size they need to be. For instance,this one I am interested in having on three different panels but,the only image size I can find is 811x456

I also like @xylem 's three panel Falcon but, I'm at a loss on where to find these images that are large enough to look decent on that size panel. When I use the design tool on myfabricdesigns I get a preview with 10 pics of the same image across the yard of fabric.

Can anyone suggest where to get these images?
In the design tool for the fabric, you need to select "center" on the design layout. it will center your design on the page. Also, your design needs to be oriented as "landscape".

To find the design, you can use the advance G00gle tool, where you can select pic size, beware it doesn't always work...

Also, your keywords for the search are very important, the order of the word as well. Use "high resolution", "Wallpaper"...

Some software like Photoshop, Photozoom or other can also help with picture enhancement to a certain degree

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2152562  

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
In the design tool for the fabric, you need to select "center" on the design layout. it will center your design on the page. Also, your design needs to be oriented as "landscape".

To find the design, you can use the advance G00gle tool, where you can select pic size, beware it doesn't always work...

Also, your keywords for the search are very important, the order of the word as well. Use "high resolution", "Wallpaper"...

Some software like Photoshop, Photozoom or other can also help with picture enhancement to a certain degree

Thank you, that helped some. It's going to take some digging to find what I want I guess. I don't see a "center" button for the design layout on myfabricdesigns. I can only select bigger or smaller. What size are you using to do the 3 panel sets? I have two walls I'd like to do these on. Yours look great!

Last edited by Jase25; Yesterday at 07:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase25 View Post
Thank you, that helped some. It's going to take some digging to find what I want I guess. What size are you using to do the 3 panel sets? I have two walls I'd like to do these on. Yours look great!
for example, details for the Red Falcon:
Starting image: 2.3MB at 4509x2396
Enhance pic: 90MB at 20325x10800
Resized at: 11250x7200 for 150 ppi
At the end, each panel is: 11MB 8250x4650 (24x48 panel).

it's not necessary to go through all these steps, it s just me :-)

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
for example, details for the Red Falcon:
Starting image: 2.3MB at 4509x2396
Enhance pic: 90MB at 20325x10800
Resized at: 11250x7200 for 150 ppi
At the end, each panel is: 11MB 8250x4650 (24x48 panel).

it's not necessary to go through all these steps, it s just me :-)
Ah, I see...you are using software to modify the image to match what you are looking for. Unfortunately, I don't have the software to use. I'll have to play around with the stock images to find something that works. You're using "basic combed cotton" for your fabric, correct?
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you really want the 3 panel Falcon, I have it all enlarged and such.

In fact, you would be the 2nd person this week to mention wanting it.

xylem's tips are spot on too. Somewhere deep in this discussion I did a big post about using Google's image search tool, but there are so many images that, unfortunately, just aren't high enough starting quality and don't have other versions out there.

My 2nd daughter graduates from high school this weekend, we have a graduation party at our house on Saturday, and over 20 people (besides us) staying at our house Friday - Monday, so I am in full on party prep mode. I can dig up the images and even help with resizing and such (I've helped several hundred people here at AVS with this exact thing), but I would just ask that you "hit me up" next week. I have all of the tools and know-how to make things work in all sorts of different ways. I've just been quiet in here for the last 6-8 weeks because I am busy with graphics work, and all of the spring projects around the house leading up to this coming weekend, but I am still here and still willing to help people out.
Modicen likes this.
Old Today, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

xylem's tips are spot on too. Somewhere deep in this discussion I did a big post about using Google's image search tool, but there are so many images that, unfortunately, just aren't high enough starting quality and don't have other versions out there.
When looking for my images, I used google image search, and under tools instead of just selecting large, I would choose Larger Than... and start around 12mp and then see if I could find an image I liked. If not then I would reduce the larger than setting until I found what I wanted. That gave me some pretty high resolution photos.
Like this: Star Wars pics greater than 10 megapixels
nickbuol likes this.
Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good point on the "larger than" option.

Here is a link to my original post from almost 2 years ago (wow. Didn't realize that it was that long ago.) on the step by step process for doing the search (minus the "larger than" options just to keep things simple)...

How to use Google Image Search to find larger images

Good luck, and if people have questions about finding images, resizing, or touchup work, just let me know.
Old Today, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Good point on the "larger than" option.

Here is a link to my original post from almost 2 years ago (wow. Didn't realize that it was that long ago.) on the step by step process for doing the search (minus the "larger than" options just to keep things simple)...

How to use Google Image Search to find larger images

Good luck, and if people have questions about finding images, resizing, or touchup work, just let me know.
You haven't by any chance written that "how to set up the image" guide have you? You mentioned at the bottom of that post you were going to write one up but it seems someone literally rained on your parade. I flipped like five pages forward and didn't see it but hoping I just missed it.

PS: Is there a way we can send you a beer or like $5 through paypal or something as a "you spend more time on this thread just posting info than you probably should so thank you"?

Edit: guyd vs guide

Edit2: It looks like some of that info on how to choose target size was above the post you linked. Find it here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement