DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1045Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3091 of 3118 Old 08-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Thanks guys, I'm still looking around and if I find anything I will let you know. I have a giant Superman Returns poster, its about 48 x 60... wonder if I can get a friend with a great camera to get a good picture of it. Hmmm... well more thinking to do on this. Thanks for the ideas!
This one is pretty large to start with:

http://allswalls.com/logo-superman.h...allpaper-1.jpg
dgedynne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3092 of 3118 Old 08-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Juiced46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Here are the pictures that were not working early. Hopefully you guys can see this. For some reason my URL from Google Photos will not work so I just attached them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170805_163324 (Medium).jpg (110.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20170805_163521 (Medium).jpg (114.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20170805_163431 (Medium).jpg (106.0 KB, 64 views)
nickbuol and J Macker like this.
Juiced46 is offline  
post #3093 of 3118 Old 08-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hooper, Utah
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
You could always see if one of these images would be comparable to what you are looking for and use one of them as a starting point.

Google Search Results
Thanks Nick, I did find one I liked but I want the blue background changed to a royal blue or black. I had found that one before but it was much smaller at the time even though I specified the size in the search, but oh well. Any great suggestions for a program to change the background color? I'm not an artistic person but I'd love to get this done and finally finish those doors.
Aerumas is offline  
 
post #3094 of 3118 Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
djarchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Thanks Nick, I did find one I liked but I want the blue background changed to a royal blue or black. I had found that one before but it was much smaller at the time even though I specified the size in the search, but oh well. Any great suggestions for a program to change the background color? I'm not an artistic person but I'd love to get this done and finally finish those doors.
If you like the poster you have, either find a place with a large format scanner to scan the whole thing, or if you just want the logo, find someone with a smaller flatbed scanner and just scan the logo.
djarchow is offline  
post #3095 of 3118 Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Thanks Nick, I did find one I liked but I want the blue background changed to a royal blue or black. I had found that one before but it was much smaller at the time even though I specified the size in the search, but oh well. Any great suggestions for a program to change the background color? I'm not an artistic person but I'd love to get this done and finally finish those doors.
I could change that for you probably pretty quickly.

I sent you a PM with my email and other details.
nickbuol is offline  
post #3096 of 3118 Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Here are the pictures that were not working early. Hopefully you guys can see this. For some reason my URL from Google Photos will not work so I just attached them.
What is on the other side wall?
nickbuol is offline  
post #3097 of 3118 Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Juiced46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
What is on the other side wall?
This is the other sidewall. This picture is older before my bass traps were installed and the sub is now moved also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1502291653000.jpeg (100.3 KB, 59 views)
nickbuol and xylem like this.
Juiced46 is offline  
post #3098 of 3118 Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Houston
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
This is the other sidewall. This picture is older before my bass traps were installed and the sub is now moved also.
Thanks for sharing, really like your room, great size and layout, Good Job!

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
xylem is offline  
post #3099 of 3118 Old 08-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Houston
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quick tips, as I see Juiced46 picture with (Medium) at the end of the pictures' name.

Microsoft has a really cool, and easy to use tool to "shrink" picture to allow you to share them easily on the web, email or other.
It's part of the "Microsoft PowerToys" and this specific one is call "Image Resizer".

It allows you to reduce the size of a picture easily and very quickly.
Example below:

I want to share my "Skull" picture, I just want to show the design, but 9MB is a little bit big to share by email.



I have Image Resizer and do the below:
Right click on the picture and the Image Resizer is embedded in your Windows command.
=> Resize pictures



A small pop up window opens and allow me to chose a pre-defined resolution or specific one.



I click "Resize" and boom!, I have a copy of my original image in the same location but XX time smaller, and easier to share on the web.



I attached the install file for the software. I zipped it.
If you prefer to find it directly on the web, just google, PowerToy Image Resizer or (http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/)

I hope this help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skull FullS.JPG (16.0 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg resize 1.JPG (16.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg resize 2.JPG (44.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg resize 3.JPG (17.6 KB, 279 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ImageResizerSetup.zip (713.2 KB, 2 views)
nickbuol likes this.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
xylem is offline  
post #3100 of 3118 Old 08-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Juiced46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
Thanks for sharing, really like your room, great size and layout, Good Job!
Thanks! It has been about a 3 year project that I am constantly changing/upgrading. If I could do it all over again I would do alot of things differently but I am still very happy with the turnout. The last 2 frames I made and installing the bass traps also have completely transformed the way my room sounds. It is starting to finally sound the way I want, it has been a 3 year battle.

About Image Resizer, its a great little feature I have been using for years with Windows. I can resize 100 pictures all at once if I want, simple and quick. All I need to figure out now is why I cannot IMG link my pictures directly from my Google Photos links. Some forums it works on for me and some it doesnt.
Juiced46 is offline  
post #3101 of 3118 Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Member
 
rflores2323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question.. Do the picture that have alot of color in the poster make it distracting when watching a movie? I was thinking of going with some bright looking posters but they wifey said that the room is going to be black so we should get some posters that are darker in color to blend in when watching movies. my posters are going to be quite large so just wondering what others opinions are.
rflores2323 is offline  
post #3102 of 3118 Old 08-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Houston
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
Question.. Do the picture that have alot of color in the poster make it distracting when watching a movie? I was thinking of going with some bright looking posters but they wifey said that the room is going to be black so we should get some posters that are darker in color to blend in when watching movies. my posters are going to be quite large so just wondering what others opinions are.
I would say it's based on the person.

I personally prefer to keep what is next or close to my screen fairly uniform, as I want to keep the focus on the movie screen. At least this is what I prefer after testing different option. But I know some other people who are not so much affected by it.

Panels behind the couch or further away from the screen can be "brighter", "busier".
rflores2323 likes this.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
xylem is offline  
post #3103 of 3118 Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Once again xylem and I are on the same page. You don't need to have solid color up near the screen, but I agree that something with darker colors would be best.
rflores2323 likes this.
nickbuol is offline  
post #3104 of 3118 Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Azle,TX
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have one poster done, But thought I would share what my end results hopefully will look like. room is pretty much to scale +/- 1in. Last time I set up a room, I started with speakers and equipment, then projector and screen. This time starting with wall treatments, then wiring and projector & screen , then speakers and equipment.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg room.jpg (139.6 KB, 243 views)
nickbuol, popalock and xylem like this.

All gone for now---->The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---6 DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--2 Pico Wreckers (tapped horns)---AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP & Nu3000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is offline  
post #3105 of 3118 Old 08-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Member
 
J Macker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I'm the man!
yeah you are!

Props to Nick! I can't thank you enough!

My prints arrived yesterday, mostly all in good shape. There was a printing flaw on one. I emailed myfabricdesigns about it and attached a picture to inquire if they'd be willing to reprint it. They responded within 12 hours and agreed to reprint it. Awesome company! I'd recommend them.

Here's some pics taken with my S7 phone:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back to the Future flawed.jpg (1.16 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Batman.jpg (1.33 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Jurassic World.jpg (1.43 MB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg XMen.jpg (1.67 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Ralph.jpg (1.53 MB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Despic Me.jpg (1.44 MB, 37 views)
nickbuol, rflores2323 and BCRSS like this.
J Macker is offline  
post #3106 of 3118 Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Witchboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I really need to get on this. As soon as I'm done with this project I think I'll start working on it. It will be winter and can't be doing much paint and stuff anyway.
Witchboard is offline  
post #3107 of 3118 Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Macker View Post
yeah you are!

Props to Nick! I can't thank you enough!

My prints arrived yesterday, mostly all in good shape. There was a printing flaw on one. I emailed myfabricdesigns about it and attached a picture to inquire if they'd be willing to reprint it. They responded within 12 hours and agreed to reprint it. Awesome company! I'd recommend them.

Here's some pics taken with my S7 phone:
You'd never guess that the Wreck-It Ralph one is 100% custom. I mean they all were modified from a 2:3 ratio to a 2:4 ratio and all had to have elements moved and shifted around, but Wreck-It Ralph was built from the ground up. The background started as just 1 small (red toned) Ralph head, and I built up from there. Heck the Ralph head background has over 10 "layers" to it alone. Turned out nice in print form. Jurassic World also turned out nice in printed form. I was actually more worried about the amount of hand editing that was done to that one to make everything fit into the taller/skinnier format, but the print looks good.

For those that are doing images like this themselves, look at the Wreck-It Ralph one. Notice in the "corners" of the front facing image that there are small little corner marks that you can see. If you add a black border to an image that has black on the edges, do yourself a favor and add some little lighter colored marks for the corners and middle of the sides. Then, when you wrap the images around your frame, you have at least some sense of where the front image ends and the side borders begin. Use a black Sharpie marker to lightly cover them when done. I recommend putting those marks so that they are technically on the border and not a part of the front facing image. That way any color difference between the printed black and the black Sharpie are even less noticeable.

As for the Back to the Future one. That looks almost like a water spot. I don't know if anyone has ever tested fabric from myfabricdesigns for color-fastness. If they are replacing that one, would you mind putting a small water drop on that print somewhere else and see if it does the same thing? If so, then maybe we need to find another step in the process for using their fabric. Something like a warm iron or even a medium head toss in the dryer to try to "set" the print. Not that any of our printed panels *should* get wet, but you never know.

Last tip for people. When printing your images, make sure to set them as "centered" on the fabric, not "tiled/repeat," and definitely not "stretch." Stretch will of course distort the image, and tiled/repeat may yield uneven fabric amounts to wrap around the back. Usually not a problem because you can't see it, but you might as well get as much of a centered fabric print with as much extra for the back as possible just in case something odd comes up. I know of one AVS user a couple of years ago that used the extra fabric to almost completely wrap around the back of his panel to keep the small fiberglass dust and bits locked inside the panel with zero change of getting disturbed and end up in someone's lungs. His panels were smaller than most people, but again, you never know when you might say "I wish that this side had a little more extra fabric to work with." Probably never, but why not just click the "centered" box. If nothing else, just to make sure that it isn't set on "stretch" which would be catastrophic.

Can't wait to see these once they are on the walls. I think that 24" x 48" images are really impressive looking over the standard poster prints of 24" x 36". Of course, they are a lot more work too.
nickbuol is offline  
post #3108 of 3118 Old 08-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Houston
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I just tried Organic Cotton Sateen from myfabricdesigns, the sample from the swatch looked promising (sharp and bright), but the end result is just muehh... combed cotton is better, and Performance knit from spoonflower is still the best if you dont mind the stretch.

I had some print issue with myfabricdesigns, the corners are curved. I was still managed to make it into the frame but not as easy.



Also, this time I beveled all the frame, so the wood would not show through the fabric. I took me a little bit more time, but if you have to work with bright and/or "white" fabric, it's the best.



Since I had some left over mineral wool from my previous panels, I did 4 little 10x20 panels, 2 for me and 2 for my friends with the Eleanor theme (personal collage). All from 1 yard of fabric.





Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4016 (Small).JPG (66.0 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4011 (Small).JPG (73.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4032 (Small).JPG (86.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4039 (Small).JPG (72.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4041 (Small).JPG (73.1 KB, 211 views)
dgage, rflores2323, BCRSS and 1 others like this.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
xylem is offline  
post #3109 of 3118 Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
djarchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
I just tried Organic Cotton Sateen from myfabricdesigns, the sample from the swatch looked promising (sharp and bright), but the end result is just muehh... combed cotton is better, and Performance knit from spoonflower is still the best if you dont mind the stretch.

I had some print issue with myfabricdesigns, the corners are curved. I was still managed to make it into the frame but not as easy.



Also, this time I beveled all the frame, so the wood would not show through the fabric. I took me a little bit more time, but if you have to work with bright and/or "white" fabric, it's the best.



Since I had some left over mineral wool from my previous panels, I did 4 little 10x20 panels, 2 for me and 2 for my friends with the Eleanor theme (personal collage). All from 1 yard of fabric.





I am going to be ordering my fabric soon. I saw this asked a few pages back but don't think ever I saw an answer. Has anyone tried the performance knit from MyFabricDesigns?

Thanks!
djarchow is offline  
post #3110 of 3118 Old 08-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Houston
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
I am going to be ordering my fabric soon. I saw this asked a few pages back but don't think ever I saw an answer. Has anyone tried the performance knit from MyFabricDesigns?

Thanks!
I personally didn't try it.
From the sample Book i received it seems to be VERY stretchy, like 100% on each side.
xylem is offline  
post #3111 of 3118 Old 08-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
djarchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
I personally didn't try it.
From the sample Book i received it seems to be VERY stretchy, like 100% on each side.
Thanks for the feedback since that sounds a lot stretchier than they claim it is. They list it as one way stretch with 25% stretch in the 'crosswise grain' though it isn't clear if that would be from top to bottom on our finished panels since they print landscape.
djarchow is offline  
post #3112 of 3118 Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Personally, if people don't have words or obvious super straight lines/grids in their images, stretch isn't a bad thing for getting night tight images with no wrinkles. I love the quality of Performance Knit from Spoonflower, and any time something isn't lined up quite right, you just stretch it a little more one way or another and add a staple. It also has a super smooth look to it. It doesn't have "100% stretch," but maybe the one from MyFabricDesigns does. That would be a crazy amount of stretch, literally doubling in size, and I could see how that could be problematic.

Many of the more rigid materials can mean removing a staple or two if you need to readjust, but they are easier to get words and other lines/grids super straight. Many of the rigid ones also show more fabric texture up close, but not really a huge deal from a couple of fee away and I doubt that anyone would really even notice.

Pros and cons each way, but I just don't want people to be scared off from something with some stretch.

If I was doing it all over again, and did movie images with no text, I would go Performance Knit if at all possible. It also is the best hands down from an acoustically transparent perspective too, so it lets the insulation do its job better. Again, as stated about a dozen times by me, not a huge deal with absorption panels, and probably nothing that the human ear could detect a difference in, but somewhere in my anal retentive mind, I know that it performs the best. LOL


Side note. I was just talking to someone lasts night about how Gone in 60 Seconds is one of my "guilty pleasure" movies. Large images from the movie in a themed room would be cool.
nickbuol is offline  
post #3113 of 3118 Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Houston
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Personally, if people don't have words or obvious super straight lines/grids in their images, stretch isn't a bad thing for getting night tight images with no wrinkles. I love the quality of Performance Knit from Spoonflower, and any time something isn't lined up quite right, you just stretch it a little more one way or another and add a staple. It also has a super smooth look to it. It doesn't have "100% stretch," but maybe the one from MyFabricDesigns does. That would be a crazy amount of stretch, literally doubling in size, and I could see how that could be problematic.

Many of the more rigid materials can mean removing a staple or two if you need to readjust, but they are easier to get words and other lines/grids super straight. Many of the rigid ones also show more fabric texture up close, but not really a huge deal from a couple of fee away and I doubt that anyone would really even notice.

Pros and cons each way, but I just don't want people to be scared off from something with some stretch.

If I was doing it all over again, and did movie images with no text, I would go Performance Knit if at all possible. It also is the best hands down from an acoustically transparent perspective too, so it lets the insulation do its job better. Again, as stated about a dozen times by me, not a huge deal with absorption panels, and probably nothing that the human ear could detect a difference in, but somewhere in my anal retentive mind, I know that it performs the best. LOL


Side note. I was just talking to someone lasts night about how Gone in 60 Seconds is one of my "guilty pleasure" movies. Large images from the movie in a themed room would be cool.
I just came back from my friend's house, the one with Gone in 60sec room.
Next time I go I will take a few detail picture to show. I just have one for now.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3987 (Small).JPG (58.9 KB, 191 views)
nickbuol, Modicen and Ladeback like this.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
xylem is offline  
post #3114 of 3118 Old 08-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Member
 
J Macker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Can't wait to see these once they are on the walls. I think that 24" x 48" images are really impressive looking over the standard poster prints of 24" x 36". Of course, they are a lot more work too.

I have been making progress; I just wanted to have substantial progress before I shared pics.

Our basement on 7/19/17:
Shelves & books above red desk are my wife's. The shelving above the computers on the right are mine.



First, we had to get rid of some stuff! That's the challenge. So, I had to persuade my wife to get rid of some stuff. We're still working on that. But, it's relocated for now. We moved the shelves to the kids' bedrooms. I got rid of a bunch of the stuff that was on my shelves.

Then, I made some window inserts while she was trying to get rid of stuff. These are 2x4 boards with roll-fiberglass insulation inside. I used 3M spray adhesive on the paper sides to make it stick to the old blue sheet. Then I covered the fronts with black speaker fabric. (see last pic)


Then, we chose paints and painted about 2 weeks ago.


Then, I made frames for the acoustic panels this last weekend. I cheaped out and used some old OSB subfloor that was 3/4" thick. Mainly because I just couldn't stomach paying $12 per 8ft length of Poplar. I used the router on the inside edges and used a reciprotating saw to cut the insulation ends to the shorter 46.5" length.





I added another layer of very thin white fabric from wal-mart to the Despicable Me panel because the yellow insulation gave a slight yellow tint through the printed fabric.


Here's all the panels lined up sans panel 6, with printing defect):
Bigger picture is in the attachments.


Last night, I mounted some of the panels using z-brackets on top of a primed & painted piece of 2.5" wide MDF.
The full-size pic is in the attachments.


I really want to make another panel to fit below the window to the left of the Batman panel. Since the windows have inserts with regular roll insulation, and the panels are now hung, the room already has MUCH less echo.

Many thanks to all the advice in this thread and esp. to Nick.
I'm going to do some crown molding and led rope lighting, but I may just make a build thread and show how the room looked 9 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutter.jpg (427.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg painting.jpg (341.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Frames1.jpg (150.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg frames2.jpg (137.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg frames3.jpg (178.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg window-insert.jpg (188.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg gettingcloser-small.jpg (474.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg gettingcloser-fullsize.jpg (3.43 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Despicme-white.jpg (99.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg linedup.jpg (3.32 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg linedup-small.jpg (400.5 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by J Macker; 08-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
J Macker is offline  
post #3115 of 3118 Old 08-17-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 676
nickbuol is offline  
post #3116 of 3118 Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM
Member
 
Bluematches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vosges (France). Close to the beast...
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I tried to go to myfabricdesigns.com and I read that before uploading my file:
"Upload Design File
We respect the rights of copyright owners and we ask that you do the same. Please do not upload a design unless you are the creator of the design or you have the permission of the copyright owner(s). Using protected works is a violation of Federal law and our Company policy. By uploading your design you agree to adhere to our Terms of Service."

Is there now the same problem than with SpoonFlower? Most of my files are pictures drawn but related to a movie, but some of them are pictures taken from a movie.
Bluematches is online now  
post #3117 of 3118 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Azle,TX
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluematches View Post
Hello,

I tried to go to myfabricdesigns.com and I read that before uploading my file:
"Upload Design File
We respect the rights of copyright owners and we ask that you do the same. Please do not upload a design unless you are the creator of the design or you have the permission of the copyright owner(s). Using protected works is a violation of Federal law and our Company policy. By uploading your design you agree to adhere to our Terms of Service."

Is there now the same problem than with SpoonFlower? Most of my files are pictures drawn but related to a movie, but some of them are pictures taken from a movie.
I have 8 poster done with myfabricdesigns.com, all of the posters were of images from movies. No problems with them. I do not have any text on any of the posters if that makes a difference, I don't know.

All gone for now---->The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---6 DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--2 Pico Wreckers (tapped horns)---AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP & Nu3000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is offline  
post #3118 of 3118 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Bluematches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vosges (France). Close to the beast...
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok Thanks :-)
Bluematches is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off