DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1106Likes

post #3241 of 3241 Old Today, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy85 View Post
I'd been thinking of doing custom prints, but decided to just do black fabric and do prints down the line.

http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-...h/3514023.html

I saw this mentioned in the thread. Is it necessary to have this fancy of fabric? Would be 50% off, but still seems pricey.

There is also this - http://www.joann.com/45in-home-essen.../12697918.html - Which on the pocket book is a better option to me.

Then I'd get the cheapest they got for the backing.

----

I am planning on using standard 15x47 batt insulation and not cutting it. I have a lot of 1x4s I'd to use and they're pretty straight. Any reason I can't use those instead of 2x4? I know there will be less room for stapling, but I think it'd be manageable.

----

Do I need to wear gloves, long sleeves, respiratory, and googles when handling the insulation if I'm not cutting it?
I would not get the speaker cloth. It will be pretty transparent visually and you will probably see the insulation underneath. It also usually attaches with glue, not staples, so if and when you decide to swap out for something better or printed later, it will be a pain to remove.

Can't say anything for sure about the second fabric.

What you can do is just go to the store, find a fabric that you like, and give it the breath test... Can you easily blow through it or breathe through it? If so, but you can't see through it and if the color is what you want, then you have a winner.

Even if you can't blow or breathe through it, most likely it will still work perfectly fine for absorption panels. Heck, a lot of people around here use (or used) a fabric called Silky Faille with great success, but if you had it held up to your nose and mouth, you would not be able to breathe at all. So for absorption panels, don't get too hung up on the fabric breatheability.

As for the insulation, it is always recommended to wear gloves and to protect your lungs with a mask, especially if you have to cut it. That said, I would guess that most people around here don't or didn't when they did their panels. My only experience is with OC703 insulation, and it really isn't itchy like working with regular fluffy insulation, but again, treat your lungs with respect and don't breathe this stuff in while working with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page