DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1170Likes

post #3301 of 3330 Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballuberfan View Post
I can believe it! I found the ONLY local fabric printer in the Gulf Coast region, and they live 10 minutes from me!

Can polyester be used as the material to cover absorption panels? Does polyester absorb or reflect sound? This printer only prints on polyester, because they mainly print on T-Shirts but can print items/photos as large as 2'X4', but only on polyester.
It doesn't really mean anything "polyester", they have 100s ways to put the fabric together (Performance knit is polyester, so is Satin, Performance Piqué, Chiffon, Fleece...) It can be thick, thin, breathable or no...

Also, you need to know what type of print method they use... Direct Printing, transfer, dying method, ... it's very important, you cannot use a basic transfer, or "sticker" printing method... you need some type of dying process, where the color, molecule will bound with the fiber...
Usually transfer to tshirt method doesn't work for Acoustic fabric, because they cover the fabric with the design, they add a layer.

You need to make sure the color, sharpness or other are "good".

Best advise would be to get some samples.

What is the name of the company you found?
graighargraves likes this.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3330 Old 10-13-2017, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
It doesn't really mean anything "polyester", they have 100s ways to put the fabric together (Performance knit is polyester, so is Satin, Performance Piqué, Chiffon, Fleece...) It can be thick, thin, breathable or no...

Also, you need to know what type of print method they use... Direct Printing, transfer, dying method, ... it's very important, you cannot use a basic transfer, or "sticker" printing method... you need some type of dying process, where the color, molecule will bound with the fiber...
Usually transfer to tshirt method doesn't work for Acoustic fabric, because they cover the fabric with the design, they add a layer.

You need to make sure the color, sharpness or other are "good".

Best advise would be to get some samples.

What is the name of the company you found?
Here is the link to their website;

The printing process is, "fully, dye sublimated, direct to garment". I would supply the material so I can pick what ever polyester I want to use, but the only requirement is it has to be 100% polyester in order for the due to work properly is what I was told.

http://eye-dye.com/onlinestore/

Check out the photos of their work on 100% polyester T-Shirts. NOTE: You might find it interesting that they added the "Vogl black autograph" 6 months after the shirt was printed. The material seems to be very breathable to me, which is why I put the shirts up to the window, so you could see the breathability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_163849.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	719.2 KB
ID:	2297736   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_163900.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	602.4 KB
ID:	2297738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_163905.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2297740   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_163916.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2297742  

Last edited by pinballuberfan; 10-13-2017 at 02:43 PM.
post #3303 of 3330 Old 10-13-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:

The printing process is, "fully, dye sublimated, direct to garment". I would supply the material so I can pick what ever polyester I want to use, but the only requirement is it has to be 100% polyester in order for the due to work properly is what I was told.

Check out the photos of their work on 100% polyester T-Shirts. NOTE: You might find it interesting that they added the "Vogl black autograph" 6 months after the shirt was printed. The material seems to be very breathable to me, which is why I put the shirts up to the window, so you could see the breathability.
Looking at those images I would say that their capability is pretty inferior to Spoonflower or MyFabricDesign. The clarity, color quality, and fabric quality seems a lot better from one of the tried and true places. Sorry.

post #3304 of 3330 Old 10-14-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:

At first glance, it seems " < ok >".
Since you can bring your own fabric, if you can find some good white fabric, breathable, give it a try and let us know the result.

Pioneer SC-97
post #3305 of 3330 Old 10-14-2017, 04:12 PM

After hanging a mostly cotton/little polyester blend tapestry, and then adding 2' OC-703 (wrapped in cotton or polyester) glued to wall behind the tapestry, or will a 1" air gap behind the OC-703 help absorb more sound? I will not be able to do 2" air gap.
post #3306 of 3330 Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sorry if this has been asked a million times... there are a lot of pages in this thread.
Is anyone sharing their movie poster image files? I've been working on a few, but I see several very similar images that are already done by some of you... I know spoonflower allows sharing the designs, but I don't know how to find any of the designs you guys have made.
Looking for:
Frozen
Wall-E
Incredibles
Pulp Fiction
Matrix
Star Wars IV

Thanks, and sorry again if this has been asked already.
post #3307 of 3330 Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osanya View Post
Sorry if this has been asked a million times... there are a lot of pages in this thread.
Is anyone sharing their movie poster image files? I've been working on a few, but I see several very similar images that are already done by some of you... I know spoonflower allows sharing the designs, but I don't know how to find any of the designs you guys have made.
Looking for:
Frozen
Wall-E
Incredibles
Pulp Fiction
Matrix
Star Wars IV

Thanks, and sorry again if this has been asked already.
Short answer is Yes!

I just looked at my movie poster images folder that I've worked up for people here at AVS (I've done images that aren't movie posters, and those are separate, but just movie posters in finished, ready to go format) and I have over 2,100 unique images. Granted that these images are in slightly different per each request, but I am sure that I could dig up some images that you are looking for and share them out somewhere for you. I know that I have posters for Frozen, Wall-E, the Matrix, and Star Wars. I thought that I had a Pulp Fiction one as I remember being asked to do one a few years ago, but I think that the source image quality available (at least at the time) was pretty bad.

I KNOW that I did up the Incredibles at one point, but I can't locate it. Should be easy enough to re-do since more animated movie images enlarge nicely.

Shoot me a PM and we can go from there.
post #3308 of 3330 Old 10-15-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had Nick work his magic on some scans of a few insert posters, then had MFD print them up. Went with the cotton instead of the PK and glad I did. The small amount of stretch in the cotton was a real PITA and made lining up the borders really tough. If you can't tell I did the Blade Runner one first! I still need to fix that bottom part but I may just leave it as is as I'm the only one who's likely to notice it.

Still working on my theater and have yet to fill them with insulation, but I threw them up on the wall to see how they looked. Plus I needed a few punches of color in the room.

Anyway, they turned out pretty decent and for my needs they were perfect. Thanks again Nick!!

“This is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.” — Walter Sobchak
post #3309 of 3330 Old 10-15-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for sharing. For those wondering, toothboy's images were 14" x 36" So just a bit over half of the width of a traditional movie poster.
post #3310 of 3330 Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Short answer is Yes!

I just looked at my movie poster images folder that I've worked up for people here at AVS (I've done images that aren't movie posters, and those are separate, but just movie posters in finished, ready to go format) and I have over 2,100 unique images. Granted that these images are in slightly different per each request, but I am sure that I could dig up some images that you are looking for and share them out somewhere for you. I know that I have posters for Frozen, Wall-E, the Matrix, and Star Wars. I thought that I had a Pulp Fiction one as I remember being asked to do one a few years ago, but I think that the source image quality available (at least at the time) was pretty bad.

I KNOW that I did up the Incredibles at one point, but I can't locate it. Should be easy enough to re-do since more animated movie images enlarge nicely.

Shoot me a PM and we can go from there.
Thanks, Nick. I'll send a PM now.
nickbuol likes this.
post #3311 of 3330 Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOiler1993 View Post
They fit tight around the hilts and seem to hold well - it takes a bit of force to remove them.

Does it take THE force to remove them?

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
post #3312 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
After hanging a mostly cotton/little polyester blend tapestry, and then adding 2' OC-703 (wrapped in cotton or polyester) glued to wall behind the tapestry, or will a 1" air gap behind the OC-703 help absorb more sound? I will not be able to do 2" air gap.
Hey guys the Acoustics Panels are arriving today and the tapestry has already shipped, so does anyone want to give their opinion?
post #3313 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hey guys the Acoustics Panels are arriving today and the tapestry has already shipped, so does anyone want to give their opinion?

No expert but from what I have been reading adding an airspace of any size is better than no airspace...

Anyone have a source other than the blu-ray forum for movie posters WITH text?...I have gone through all 111 pages here...the 618 page textless thread over there and the 10 page text thread that they have...I have about 6 that I am considering but think I would like them to look like movie posters instead of artwork...

Is anyone getting their files kicked back from Spoonflower for movie posters? Does artwork make it though easier? I might could be talked into trailer posters if they go through easier as there are a ton of those...its the actual movie posters with text that are hard to find (which seems backwards to me)
post #3314 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Any air gap is better than none, it s not "mandatory" but it s an easy way to improve the result.
I have a small room, and I have about 1inch airgap with 2.5inch panels.
nickbuol likes this.

Pioneer SC-97
post #3315 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggere View Post
No expert but from what I have been reading adding an airspace of any size is better than no airspace...

Anyone have a source other than the blu-ray forum for movie posters WITH text?...I have gone through all 111 pages here...the 618 page textless thread over there and the 10 page text thread that they have...I have about 6 that I am considering but think I would like them to look like movie posters instead of artwork...

Is anyone getting their files kicked back from Spoonflower for movie posters? Does artwork make it though easier? I might could be talked into trailer posters if they go through easier as there are a ton of those...its the actual movie posters with text that are hard to find (which seems backwards to me)
For source image, Google image is your best friends, if you search in this thread, we explained some tips and tricks for the search.
Spoonflower is more difficult on image. Myfabricsdesign is a good alternative for online printing.
nickbuol likes this.

Pioneer SC-97
post #3316 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Xylem...what image size width x height should I be looking for?...I saw the post about using the tools function and over 12mp...but is there a size that helps as well?
post #3317 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Xylem...what image size width x height should I be looking for?...I saw the post about using the tools function and over 12mp...but is there a size that helps as well?
Film posters sold in retailing are in poster size, which is 24 x 36 inches.
Digital picture will vary based on what it is intended to.

When you google search try to set the size > 4mp, but at the end the higher the better.
We use some software enhancement that allow us to increase the quality. From a few MB to 20MB or 50MB per image.

With gimp or Photoshop, I will change the actual image size. So If I find a picture that is 2MB with an actual size of 5inch x 10inch, I will change it to 30MB and 24x36inch with Photoshop for example.
The resolution, the PPI (pixels per inch) or DPI (dots per inch), you want as high as you can, around 150 to 300 is good for the ppi.

You want the image resolution as high as possible. The google size under the picture is sometime misleading, because the final quality is not always great, so you need to look for a high numbers ( > a few thousands if you don't edit the image), then confirm the actual quality, PPI,...

Nick might be able to help you. I will be out for a few weeks for business.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	2299646  

Pioneer SC-97
post #3318 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Got it.

Here is actual usable wall space...this does not show actual room wall (excludes doors)...more to see what the panels would look like and approximate spacing...

the one with 4 posters is the long side wall (black-out curtains directly across on other long wall)...the Jungle Book is on the back wall...red thing is surround speakers...can the Jungle Book panel be that large or does it need to be split into thirds...I kinda like the words being on there so would like it one panel...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Walls.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2299662  
post #3319 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it.

Here is actual usable wall space...this does not show actual room wall (excludes doors)...more to see what the panels would look like and approximate spacing...

the one with 4 posters is the long side wall (black-out curtains directly across on other long wall)...the Jungle Book is on the back wall...red thing is surround speakers...can the Jungle Book panel be that large or does it need to be split into thirds...I kinda like the words being on there so would like it one panel...
Your only limit is the fabric. Your most narrow dimension (in your case the height) needs to be the same size or smaller than the width of the fabric that you plan on using as you can always add more yards of fabric for the longer dimension. Don't forget to factor in your border.

So lets say that the Jungle Book image is 36" tall by 72" wide plus a 4" border all around. That gives you a 44" x 80" print. So your fabric must be at least 44" and it will, unfortunately, take just over 2 yards of fabric to get you to 80".
post #3320 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought that I commented on that in our PMs and such, but in case I didn't, yes panels behind the tapestry would be much better at absorbing mid-frequency sound than just the higher frequency absorption from just the tapestry. The mid-frequency range is key because that is where more dialog happens and having something better at absorbing that range will really help to clear up dialog for you.
post #3321 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
For source image, Google image is your best friends, if you search in this thread, we explained some tips and tricks for the search.
Spoonflower is more difficult on image. Myfabricsdesign is a good alternative for online printing.
Yup.
Post #2000 is where I show how to use Google Images to search for images...

How to use Google Image Search to find larger images

Hopefully that helps people.
post #3322 of 3330 Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I am using a 1.5" air gap with 2" of OC703 insulation for my side walls, and a 1.5" air gap with 4" of OC703 for my rear wall panel. I initially tested my room with the insulation literally just stuck on the walls. I did some measurements, and then I put them in the frames with the air gap, and measured again and the graphs were noticeably better. I used 1x4 and 1x6 lumber for my frames, but even if I had used 1x3 lumber for my side panels to get a 0.5" air gap seems like a "free upgrade" even if it isn't as measurable.

Spoonflower seems to be kicking back anything that looks movie related, but the more abstract the better your chances of getting something through.
post #3323 of 3330 Old 10-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I am using a 1.5" air gap with 2" of OC703 insulation for my side walls, and a 1.5" air gap with 4" of OC703 for my rear wall panel. I initially tested my room with the insulation literally just stuck on the walls. I did some measurements, and then I put them in the frames with the air gap, and measured again and the graphs were noticeably better. I used 1x4 and 1x6 lumber for my frames, but even if I had used 1x3 lumber for my side panels to get a 0.5" air gap seems like a "free upgrade" even if it isn't as measurable.

Spoonflower seems to be kicking back anything that looks movie related, but the more abstract the better your chances of getting something through.
What did you put on your front wall?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Formerly known as GatorBlues. The Spinal Tap Theater build:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #3324 of 3330 Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
What did you put on your front wall?
Basically I put what comes out to be about the equivalent of an additional wall right on the face of my physical wall. In between the studs, I put UltraTouch Denim Insulation (which has been tested to have pretty good absorption properties). This stuff is easy to work with, and not so hazardous. I then covered that with cheap thin black fabric. Since this is not rigid insulation like used in acoustical panels, it is a bit "puffy" looking, but again, I didn't care as everything was going to be behind my false screen wall and unseen anyway.

For the corner bass traps, I just went floor to ceiling with triangular shaped insulation to fill the corners.

Here are the acoustical stats on the insulation for the wall:

Here is an early construction photo of the front wall. I guess looking back, it isn't 100% covered. I made it easy on myself for connecting electrical by keeping the main part above the outlets. You can see the studs in the middle part through the black fabric, but nothing shines back through the screen when the projector is going.

With the false wall and screen up, you don't see any of that anyway. This is a picture from a couple of years ago, but if gives you the idea.

Blue and dgage like this.
post #3325 of 3330 Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Basically I put what comes out to be about the equivalent of an additional wall right on the face of my physical wall. In between the studs, I put UltraTouch Denim Insulation (which has been tested to have pretty good absorption properties). This stuff is easy to work with, and not so hazardous. I then covered that with cheap thin black fabric. Since this is not rigid insulation like used in acoustical panels, it is a bit "puffy" looking, but again, I didn't care as everything was going to be behind my false screen wall and unseen anyway.

For the corner bass traps, I just went floor to ceiling with triangular shaped insulation to fill the corners.

Here are the acoustical stats on the insulation for the wall:

Here is an early construction photo of the front wall. I guess looking back, it isn't 100% covered. I made it easy on myself for connecting electrical by keeping the main part above the outlets. You can see the studs in the middle part through the black fabric, but nothing shines back through the screen when the projector is going.

With the false wall and screen up, you don't see any of that anyway. This is a picture from a couple of years ago, but if gives you the idea.

Did you use the 3.5" or 5.5"?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Formerly known as GatorBlues. The Spinal Tap Theater build:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #3326 of 3330 Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh boy. I don't remember exactly, but I *think* that it was just the 3.5" R13 type. The acoustical properties between the R13 and R19 is actually pretty similar for the NRC rating which is good for acoustical treatments in a room, the STC rating is more for soundproofing, and that is where the R19 does noticeably better. Since my room already had other soundproofing technologies incorporated during the build process, I only cared about the NRC rating.
post #3327 of 3330 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Nick,
Thanks for the reply, and the panels are here. With the tapestry holder I will be able to add 1" and maybe more of an air pocket behind the panels. I will be wrapping the panels in cloth to ensure the material doesn't flake off over time.
nickbuol likes this.
post #3328 of 3330 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Not trying to pollute since I already posted these in my build thread, but figured I'd add to the thread. Mine are all 35" x 45" using 3.5" thick Roxul Safe n Sound and space themed. Resin bonded non woven polyester covering both sides of the Roxul before putting on the My Fabric Designs combed cotton. The ones on the right side are covering windows. These were not fun to make at all lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5493.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2301936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5494.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2301938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5557 - Copy.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	2301944  

Last edited by SteveCallas; Yesterday at 06:26 PM.
post #3329 of 3330 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Not trying to pollute since I already posted these in my build thread, but figured I'd add to the thread. Mine are all 35" x 45" using 3.5" thick Roxul Safe n Sound and space themed. Resin bonded non woven polyester covering both sides of the Roxul before putting on the My Fabric Designs combed cotton. The ones on the right side are covering windows. These were not fun to make at all lol.
Cool theme.

Never heard of people using the resin bonded non-woven polyester before. How are its acoustical properties? What made you select that over just some thin fabric?

Maybe it will be a nice alternative for some people depending on the benefits of it.
post #3330 of 3330 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I used to be in the filtration business and i had some big rolls of it laying around - it is commonly used for air filtration as a depth media as opposed to the pleated cellulose. Air flow characteristics are very good, so i have no doubts sound will pass through it. It probably does a little bit of high frequency absorption all by itself.

No real reason to use it vs cheap fabric to contain the insulation other than i had it. It would be considerably more expensive than cotton fabric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page