AVS Forum banner

DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

813K views 5K replies 556 participants last post by  nickbuol 
#1 · (Edited)
My small theater room is currently in the process of being rebuilt. Brick walls, a concrete ceiling, and wood floors translate to a room which rings like a bell. I've finally got some furniture in place and will be adding an area rug, but I also figured it might be useful to add a few acoustic panels to help absorb some of the wall reflections where possible. I looked at the options and found a number of how-to guides for building fabric covered panels, but that seemed a little boring. I then found a few sites that would print up movie poster style panels which seemed perfect. What didn't seem perfect was the $500+ asking price for each panel! I figured there had to be a better way, where "better" == "cheaper".

In short, an acoustic panel consists of a frame supporting the absorbing material wrapped in absorbing or transparent fabric. I'll cover each of these items separately, followed by a build log detailing the construction process.

Absorbing Material

The first order of business is some material to actually absorb the sound. There are plenty of guides for DIY panels around the internet, and the general consensus seems to be that Owens-Corning 703 glass fiber panels work pretty well. Roxul mineral board or mineral wool is another favorite. There are also plenty of lower-priced equivalent materials with similar specs from other companies. You can find this material online or check with a local insulation dealer. These materials are typically used for HVAC insulation, so you might find HVAC suppliers will carry what you're looking for as well. The standard size is 2' x 4'. In my case I had a local dealer which had JM 1000 panels in stock in the size I needed for $8 each out the door. As an aside - when I stopped by the local insulation shop looking for OC703 or equivalent, the guy I was talking to asked if I was making acoustic panels. Apparently I'm not the first person they've talked to about this kind of project! Anyway, don't be afraid to call up your local insulation guys - they do this stuff for a living and can be a great source of friendly experience.

Without going into too much detail, thicker material will absorb better across the spectrum and will also absorb lower. If you check the spec sheet linked above, you'll find the following table which illustrates this pretty clearly:

1 inch will be an absolute minimum and you can go up to 4" with most panels. In my case, the room is small already so hanging 4" panels on the wall is a non-starter. I went with 1½" material just for aesthetic purposes. 2" seems to be a common choice. If you're going with non-OC board for a lower price (and I suggest that you do), you're going to want something that's 3 lbs/cu foot or more.

Frame

The frame material will surround and support the fiber board and provide a rigid surface for stretching the printed fabric. Again, there are plenty of guides for creating a frame online. Otherwise, check local art supply stores for canvas stretcher bars . These are pre-cut materials used by artists for creating strong, square frames to mount ("stretch") canvas for hanging paintings and the like. They are dead simple to work with and can be assembled with few or no tools. The downside is that you don't often have a choice for how deep the frame will be to allow for 2" or greater material. Also, they can be expensive once everything is ordered. If you haven't figured this out by now, I'm cheap, so I made my own. I chose to rip a 2x4" to create 1¼" bars then tacked on ¼" quarter-round shoe molding to create a 1½" deep frame. Total wood cost for the four 1'x3' frames was $15.

Art

Finally, you need the printed poster! For this you are going to need two things: some source artwork, and somebody to print it on fabric. You can find source art all over the internet. If you don't mind spending a couple dollars this can be a good source. Otherwise, google image search can be helpful. You are going to be blowing this up to poster size so you are going to need high-resolution images to start with. Anything under 1000-2000 pixels high is probably not going to look too good. In my case, I selected a series of four posters from the movie Goldfinger, blew them up a bit with third party software , then touched up the final results to smooth out the resulting image (having a professional photographer wife helps with these steps).

Next, you need to get this printed. There are loads of shops that offer digital canvas printing - you don't want this! Canvas prints are great for art reproduction, but are very thick and won't transmit sound to the material inside at all. What you want is printed fabric. Your options may vary depending on where you are, but I found Spoonflower in the US and they are great! They have a variety of fabrics, a super-easy to use website, and can print large-format fabrics for cheap. The site also allows you to share posters you've uploaded. You can find mine here and here . You can order a fabric sample set from them to get an idea of what the options are. The fabric needs to be thin enough to transmit sound while still being thick enough to allow a decent print. You'll want to stay away from stretchable materials as they will be nearly impossible to mount. After reviewing the sample set then ordering a couple printed samples, I've found that the standard "quilting weight" fabric offers the best balance between print density and acoustic transparency. [update: mtbdudex is a stud and tested the Spoonflower "Quilting Weight" fabric for acoustic transparency here . Short version - it works great!] My order for the 4 posters came to $36 shipped and arrived in about 2 weeks with standard shipping.

After additional materials (some adhesives, fasteners, etc), this whole endeavor added up to just under $80 for 4 panels. That's more my price!

Full length view of 4 completed panels

Corner detail

Build Process

First - a disclaimer. This isn't intended to be a "how to", rather it's more of a build log of how I made my first panels. My woodworking skills would charitably be described as "novice". Feel free to adapt and improve upon what you see here, and don't assume that just because I'm doing it one way that you shouldn't do it another.

The first step is to build out the frame. I'll be making the remaining three panels which are 1'x3' each. I'm starting with a few lengths of 2x4 that I bought from HD because they were cheap. I then ripped them down to 1¼" square for the body of the frame. You can likely find pre-cut pieces to fit your project at the local lumber yard, or you might get them to cut the pieces for you.

I then tacked a ¼" shoe molding to the bars to create the stretcher bar. The idea is to create a narrow point of contact around the edge for the fabric so the wood frame underneath doesn't show through as much. For whatever reason this method doesn't appear in any of the DIY panel guides I've read, nor is it used for any of the (mostly overpriced) DIY "kits" for making your own panels. I don't know why this is - in the art world you simply don't stretch a canvas over a frame without doing something similar. Here is an end view of the pieces before cutting, and a shot of the molding being tacked to the frame. I've highlighted the outline in red to give you a better view of the profile. I'm using a brad nailer here, but you can use a regular hammer and nails if you want. Just make sure to use small nails (brads) to keep from splitting the wood.

Once the molding is attached, use a miter saw to cut the pieces to length. You can get a cheap miter box from your local hardware store for $10-$20 if you don't have one. I'd really recommend against just cutting this by hand without either a miter box or chop saw or similar - you're going to want these cuts to be 45° on the nose. Here's a look at the cutting process, along with the finished edge and finally the parts for 3 complete frames (six 3' pieces and six 1' pieces).

Next you need to assemble the frame. Some corner clamps help here, or just use a square edge and some normal clamps. Run some wood glue along the inside mating surfaces in the corner, then tack each corner with nails or counter-sunk screws. Once these are together, sand them down so the outside edges are smooth. If necessary, throw some wood filler in any gaps you might have. It doesn't have to be pretty, just relatively uniform in color without any gaps or uneven edges.

For these next few steps I'm going to be handling the bare fiberglass. This is nasty stuff, something a trip to the urgent care clinic taught me at a very young age. At a bare minimum, wear long sleeves, gloves, eye protection, and a dust mask. You really don't want this crap in your lungs or eyes (trust me on this), and it's irritating on your skin too. Do not screw around here - the gear is cheap.

First you need to cut the panel. Here I've laid my frame on top of the piece of fiberglass and used a marker to mark the edges. You can then use a box cutter or similar to cut through the panel. Once it's cut it should fit relatively snug inside the frame.

Once the panel is fit into the frame you might want to take the additional step of using an adhesive to make sure it stays put. I've run a bead of Liquid Nails along the edge and then smoothed it down with a disposable brush. I'm using the "projects" type as it's easy to work with and happens to match the color fairly well so it won't be visible afterwards.

Finally it's time to get the print stapled to the frame. First, make sure the work is ready to mount by ironing out any wrinkles. If it's dirty for whatever reason, run it through the wash. Remember - this is fabric intended for use with clothing, so ironing and washing is OK! Once the art is ready, center the piece on the frame and tack it in the middle of each edge. You'll be working from the back (still with gloves!), so it might take a couple tries to get it lined up perfectly. Don't be afraid to pull staples and try again if needed.

Now work your way out from the center of each edge. Once you get to the corners, you will need to square off the corners like a bedsheet. I've kept the folds on the top and bottom of the frame as those will likely be less visible than the sides.

Once you've got the entire piece stapled, you are going to want to add some sort of backing material to keep the fiberglass from getting into the air in your room. I simply used an old white bed sheet, you can use whatever you might have lying about the house. The color and condition shouldn't really matter as nobody is going to see it anyway.

After everything is stapled, you'll probably still have a few minor wrinkles. I've found wrinkle releaser from your local grocery will work wonders. Just spray the final panel down with this stuff and the wrinkles will pretty well disappear. Now add a sawtooth picture hanger, hanging wire, cleats, or whatever works best on your wall to get it mounted. I used a sawtooth hanger because I'm mounting to a rough brick wall which prevents me from any chance of actually firmly mounting these panels. You might find using a simple cleat will provide a stable solution to mount to more traditional walls.

Once it's mounted, you are then ready for the final and most important step - taking pictures and posting them here!

See less See more
#379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Morrell  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/360#post_23755377

No offense taken. Yes, I am a part of the Mixmastered Acoustics team, I'm spreading the word to everyone that will listen because I am very proud of our products.

You were acting kind of sneaking talking about "them" before and now it is "our." Just seemed sort of "spam-ish." I know it is tough to get off the ground, but there are forum sections more appropriate than in the middle of a DIY thread to announce your company and state that they have great service, products, etc. That should be left up to the customers to decide and report back on.

Good luck to your business. I look forward to heard actual customer feedback in the future. Maybe someone in this thread will use your frames or something to help get some business flowing. Again, it was just the "fly-by," out of nowhere post that seemed odd.

Then again, maybe I am just cranky after little sleep.

TCC, You will beat me to it for sure. Now that I have my fabric samples, I need to pick the color codes, etc that look best, and finish my art before I can place my order. I am going back out of town for the weekend, so I am probably a week out yet from ordering.

#381 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/360#post_23756372

The only thing that I'm concerned about is the stretchiness of the knit and how it may deform the image when stretched over the frame. It's either that or it's gonna be a pita to prevent that from happening. Any tricks/suggestions?

I mentioned it somewhere before this in my ramblings. What I've heard other people have done when concerned with stretch and deforming of the image, is that they use tape to hold the fabric in place. The tape can be minorly adjusted until perfect, and then stapled so that it is straight from the start.

#384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/360#post_23755419

You were acting kind of sneaking talking about "them" before and now it is "our." Just seemed sort of "spam-ish." I know it is tough to get off the ground, but there are forum sections more appropriate than in the middle of a DIY thread to announce your company and state that they have great service, products, etc. That should be left up to the customers to decide and report back on.

Good luck to your business. I look forward to heard actual customer feedback in the future. Maybe someone in this thread will use your frames or something to help get some business flowing. Again, it was just the "fly-by," out of nowhere post that seemed odd.

Then again, maybe I am just cranky after little sleep.

TCC, You will beat me to it for sure. Now that I have my fabric samples, I need to pick the color codes, etc that look best, and finish my art before I can place my order. I am going back out of town for the weekend, so I am probably a week out yet from ordering.

I looks like all these posts were deleted.

#385 ·
#391 ·
I went with standard shipping and mine showed up within a week all the way to Canada. I think my order was processed and shipped within 48 hours.

Edit:

From my previous posts:

"4 yrds for somewhere around $70 + $7 shipping all the way to the great white north. (Had them in just over a week right to my mailbox in a tiny little plastic pouch)"

#397 ·
Well, Spoonflower did it again... After what I heard was a lot of complaints about dull colors and then the big success of the new Performance Knit product, they have enhanced the printing process of the Kona Cotton.

They are now offering a Kona Cotton Ultra, and will eventually switch all of their products to the new "Ultra" products.

I wonder how it looks in comparison to the original Kona Cotton or the Performance Knit (which was a HUGE improvement over the original Kona Cotton for color).

Since the fabric is the same and the only difference is the printing technique, they aren't offering any samples for free like they did with the Performance Knit.

Here is the email I received today:
Quote:
Introducing Kona® Cotton Ultra

Today we’re thrilled to introduce a family of Spoonflower fabrics using a brand-new technology we’re calling Ultra-Color. Fabrics printed using the Ultra-Color process offer bright, rich color that will knock your socks off!

We’re rolling out the Ultra-Color process with our popular Kona® Cotton, which will now appear in Spoonflower selection menus as Kona® Cotton Ultra. The fabric that you have grown to love is not changing--we’re just supercharging our beloved Kona® with brighter colors and deeper, more satisfying blacks.

The Ultra family is printed using water-based, ecologically safe pigment inks, like our other Spoonflower fabric. And in addition to great color, our Ultra process means you can enjoy prints with improved wash durability.

We recognize that for customers who order fabric from us regularly and have ongoing projects or established products using our fabric, any change to color -- good or bad -- can represent challenges. For the next few months, customers who have ordered Kona® Cotton from us in the past will continue to have access to the old printing process by choosing Retired Kona® Cotton from the fabric selection menu.

All Kona® Cotton orders placed prior to today (3:00 pm EST on Oct. 9, 2013) will be printed using our old process. So, if you have an order in process that has not yet shipped, it will print as expected. Kona® orders placed after noon today (the order confirmation will say Kona® Cotton Ultra) will be printed using the new process.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact the Help Team.

Cheers,

Stephen Fraser

Spoonflower co-founder

I am so close to being ready to order my fabric that I will be going with the Performance Knit, but for good measure, I just ordered a sample of the new Kona Cotton Ultra. I will compare it to the old Kona Cotton and the Performance knit when it comes in. Of course, it will take them 10 days to even ship my sample. I wasn't going to pay $15 shipping for a $5 sample of fabric that I am not even going to use. Sorry.

#399 ·
Their website is showing them both at $18 per yard right now, not sure if it will go up later once they have stopped production on the non-ultra version.

Keep in mind again that the Kona Cotton comes in 42" widths (regardless of "old style" or "ultra") and the Performance Knit comes in 56" widths. For me, I can fit a 2foot x 4foot x 3.5inch panel (with enough fabric to staple to the back) in 1 yard of performance knit with little waste. To do it in the Kona Cotton, while cheaper per yard, would actually cost me more and I would have a lot more waste.

#401 ·
Just FYI that it will probably be 2 to 2.5 weeks before I get the sample with as slow as the $1 shipping is and the fact that it is low priority in their line-up of orders to do.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Performance Knit. It is a great looking product with excellent properties for what we need for our panels. But, it is your call. If you want to wait, then I will do my best to post comparisons and "tests" absolutely as soon as I get the material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.