19Likes

post #31 of 1520 Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Gold star!!!

This is just what I need for my upcoming (someday?) multi-purpose room. Its primarily a playroom, so if I can add some kid friendly artwork that doubles as a panel I would be in great shape.

Hot damn! Now I regret giving away my rigid fiberglass that was cluttering up the garage. Oh well. I liked parking in the garage for the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1520 Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks Luma for the original idea and thanks mtbdudex for the testing! I will implement this in my new theater for sure!

Any more thoughts on image sources? I may even throw in a couple of video games (Gears of War comes to mind).
post #33 of 1520 Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

luma;
I just called Spoonflower and working with Steve B will get a "swatch sampler collection" of 8" x 8"'s with my artwork printed on them.
From discussion with him using Photoshop CS5 and saving in RGB space they should be able to match my colors (I have calibrated monitor).
I'll also take freq tests also.
This way before I commit $$'s for the big panels I can tryout their color matching ability and know their frequency pass thru ability also.

Did you do the testing yet?
post #34 of 1520 Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Did you do the testing yet?

Samples just came Monday afternoon......

I did the subjective testing and posted those, the objective with mic/REW will be this weekend - I need to make a test fixture.
I'm getting new 1st row seats today (was supposed to be yesterday) and want to re-calibrate the HT with those, so doing double duty.
post #35 of 1520 Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This all sounds like a fantastic idea! I'm not too sure how the scale of the images works though...lets say I wanted to use this poster...http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/3b296a44 which is 2484 x 3510 pixels does that mean I divide that by 150dpi to get the printed width and length? In this case 16.56" x23.4"? How do you go about scaling that up a bit to perhaps get a print that is 24x36"????

Home reno pics and Craftsman inspired home theater

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ome%20Theater/
post #36 of 1520 Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
From what I've learned about enlarging images for prints is that there are certain methods that are better than others. I bought an add in program for Photoshop called Genuine Fractals that was recommended by a Fine Art photographer in a class I took. That program converts a bit mapped image to vector graphics, then does the enlargement in the vector mode and then converts the enlargement to a bit mapped image in the resolution of your choice for printing. I've dabbled in Digital Printmaking and my original images are saved as vector graphics. When I want to print something I tell it how large, what resolution and I'm usually pretty happy with the results.

Often your printer (vendor) can manage this process for you and may have the necessary software so you need to ask.
post #37 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Made a pulp fiction poster print, will let you know how it turns out.
Oregon Chris likes this.
post #38 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Mike,

Did you happen to brooch the topic of proof of copyright with the folks at spoonflower?

I assume that most people would be looking to illegally use movie ads for this type of thing, most print houses I've worked with have something to say about orders submitted that are highly likely to be breaking copyright law.

-Suntan
post #39 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tsk, tsk Suntan. Speak no evil
post #40 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Mike,

Did you happen to brooch the topic of proof of copyright with the folks at spoonflower?

I assume that most people would be looking to illegally use movie ads for this type of thing, most print houses I've worked with have something to say about orders submitted that are highly likely to be breaking copyright law.

-Suntan
I believe that falls under the "Don't ask don't tell" policy.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #41 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshorejl View Post

Why did you pick 1' X 3'? Were there limitations or personal preference. It seems to me movie posters in general are 27 X 41 and that is closer to the standard 2' X 4' acoustic panel everyone here builds. Great info on this thread. I plan to give it a try.

Thanks,
Jim

1x3 was chosen simply because the posters I selected for the first run happened to be in 1:3 aspect. As you've noticed, 2:3 is the standard ratio. The only concern is getting it to fit in the printable area of the fabric you choose with enough room left over to wrap around the sides and staple onto the back.
post #42 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

From what I've learned about enlarging images for prints is that there are certain methods that are better than others. I bought an add in program for Photoshop called Genuine Fractals that was recommended by a Fine Art photographer in a class I took. That program converts a bit mapped image to vector graphics, then does the enlargement in the vector mode and then converts the enlargement to a bit mapped image in the resolution of your choice for printing. I've dabbled in Digital Printmaking and my original images are saved as vector graphics. When I want to print something I tell it how large, what resolution and I'm usually pretty happy with the results.

Often your printer (vendor) can manage this process for you and may have the necessary software so you need to ask.

For anybody looking for it, "Genuine Fractals" has been renamed to "Perfect Resize" and is the software I have been using and linked to in the OP. It works pretty well, but don't expect miracles. The best solution is to use the highest quality source you can get, then try to shoehorn it into the size, DPI, and filesize restrictions set by the digital fabric printer you select.
post #43 of 1520 Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Cant wait to see some of the posters.
post #44 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike,

Did you happen to brooch the topic of “proof of copyright” with the folks at spoonflower?

I assume that most people would be looking to illegally use movie ads for this type of thing, most print houses I’ve worked with have something to say about orders submitted that are highly likely to be breaking copyright law.

-Suntan

Actually I did discuss “proof of copyright”, but NOT from using others copyrighted artwork, that is simply wrong both ethically and legally w/o permission.
Others, watch this video:

I was asking because my own original pictures were being hosted on their site, and I was concerned about others using my artwork w/o my permission/etc.
For now, my pictures are private and nobody sees them.
If I choose to participate in the Spoonflower set-up where other Spoonflower customers use my images, I will be compensated.

Each person has to shut their eyes and go to sleep at night, reflecting on their actions of the day.
If they knowingly use others artwork w/o permission....that is a deliberate, conscious choice they make as adults and have to live with the consequences...simply stealing is stealing...but lets not debate that in this thread.
(I've declined to do some freelance photography work due to dis-agreement about control of the images, its all about IP (Intellectual Property) and who controls that controls the flow of $$ these days)
post #45 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Let's not derail the thread. I think these arguments are documented elsewhere on the internet.

Luma - how much space did you allocate to your borders to let you fold down? Just the width of your wood or a little more?
post #46 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Let's not derail the thread. I think these arguments are documented elsewhere on the internet.

Dave - I agree not to derail this thread, that's not my style, I was answering a direct Q to me in the thread.

I will be ordering 2 covers from Spoonflower this weekend and will document my method for the digital part of that using Photoshop CS5 for others to follow. These will be full wrapped and used as my rear wall treatments for center channel reflections.
post #47 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry people don't like to be reminded about their breaking of the law, but I was just asking because others may be unhappy when their orders get cancelled.

I've heard it happen with other online print shops where a person submitted an order and then the shop cancelled the order once they ran it and decided it was highly likely that the customer did not have a license for the picture they were trying to print.

In any case, maybe spoonflower doesn't worry about the ramifications of it. But just wanted to bring up the topic so people were aware it may happen as they are waiting in vane for their fabric print of Rocky raising his hands while standing over Apollo

-Suntan
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #48 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
FWIW, I believe this would fall under the doctorine of Fair Use as long as you owned the original.

It gets nastier though because older posters were copyrighted by the defunct NSS and have a notice that it is illegal to posess them at all. That is untrue, as the NSS itself put them on the market in large bulk sales in the 90s when they got out of the business.

Convincing the printer is another matter.
post #49 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 560
As a photographer as well as a HT enthusiast, I'd like to thank the OP for starting this thread .. I would have never known such a service was available .. just adds to the reason I love AVS ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #50 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Gold star!!!
Hot damn! Now I regret giving away my rigid fiberglass that was cluttering up the garage. Oh well. I liked parking in the garage for the snow.
If it makes you feel better, locked up in my car with all of it lead to days and days of itching. You probably thought I was crazy loading it up the way I did lol.
post #51 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
As a photographer as well as a HT enthusiast, I'd like to thank the OP for starting this thread ..
Yeah, but honestly, I looked through my stuff the other night and really there isn't anything that I want up on my panels.

Even though we have a lot of pictures up on the walls throughout the house, I can't say as I want pictures on the panels. I could see it if the room was a dedicated music listening room, but for the theater I prefer it all black and not distracting.

-Suntan
post #52 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

I just ordered 7 "posters"...
Used the links above to get the art work and then used the software that came with our Canon camera to increase the size to a 24x36" size. Even at 150dpi the resolution is still good. looking forward to seeing how they turn out! I know the licensing issue is a tricky point but my view is that I purchased the artwork and I'm only using the printed output for my own use. If I was selling it or redistributing it then that would be wrong. When I get my shipment I will be deleting the images on the Spoonflower site and as of now they are marked private so no one else should have access to them....
I'll post a pic when I get one or two of them framed up....

Home reno pics and Craftsman inspired home theater

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ome%20Theater/
post #53 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Yeah, but honestly, I looked through my stuff the other night and really there isn’t anything that I want up on my panels.

Even though we have a lot of pictures up on the walls throughout the house, I can’t say as I want pictures on the panels. I could see it if the room was a dedicated music listening room, but for the theater I prefer it all black and not distracting.

-Suntan
I'm not a photographer at all, so I have no pictures to put up. (If a picture doesn't come out the way I like, I just delete and do it again.) But I'm thinking of making panels using abstract art
or at least some kind of pattern. This allows us to stray away form the typical solid color.

I'm still playing around with designs and configurations to see if it'd work and not feel like a museum.
post #54 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Yeah, but honestly, I looked through my stuff the other night and really there isn't anything that I want up on my panels.

Even though we have a lot of pictures up on the walls throughout the house, I can't say as I want pictures on the panels. I could see it if the room was a dedicated music listening room, but for the theater I prefer it all black and not distracting.

-Suntan
I have no idea whether I'll actually order anything to turn into a panel for my HT .. I prefer the simple, clean look as well .. but I might have some fabric printed for a custom quilt for some of my grand kids ..

However, whatever I decide to do, it's nice to know there is a place that can get it done with good quality and an inexpensive price ..

I find threads like these to be great just for the information value ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #55 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Dave - I agree not to derail this thread, that's not my style, I was answering a direct Q to me in the thread.

Fair enough, I must have missed the question. Although I'd like to use some disney stuff (its primarily the kids room for now), I am more likely to pull some royalty free images that are kids decor appropriate.

In the next house I'll go back to the dedicated HT and do full walls.
post #56 of 1520 Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Liked: 10
If I scale my image to 24 x 36 do I then need to add a colored border around the image? I don't want the wrapped fabric to be white on the sides of the panel.

Jim
post #57 of 1520 Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I was planning on dying the white cloth around the edges with some black rit dye.
post #58 of 1520 Old 03-12-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

But I'm thinking of making panels using abstract art or at least some kind of pattern.

This is what I was thinking as well. Predominantly black with dark gray contours or something.

-Suntan
post #59 of 1520 Old 03-12-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

but I might have some fabric printed for a custom quilt for some of my grand kids ..

Yeah, I was trying to think of other uses for this as well.

-Suntan
post #60 of 1520 Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:

Mike,

-Suntan

I spoke to other companies who do this sort of thing, and they said they assume the customer has already obtained permission when the source image is sent to them. They have no way of knowing if permission has been granted, so that is the best they can do. It protects them.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page