Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #811 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Staple remover available at most stores that carry office supplies.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Bostitch-Professional-Magnetic-40000M-BLK/dp/B0006HVU4M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390925349&sr=8-2&keywords=staple+remover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Get the staples out? With PK, you just stretch where needed and staple over top of the other ones (ok, not directly overtop). The PK shouldn't bunch up much if at all on the back, still allowing for it to lay flush against the wall. Other fabric won't allow for this without removing the staples, but you should be good with the PK.

I did this with the Cotton Sateen one I did. I wasn't happy with the tightness of the finish product, so I just pulled tighter and stapled over the old staples. I think you may not realize almost all these fabrics can be stretched to manipulate like you are explaining.

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
3D powered by AMD home built computer
True Depth 3D glasses (pair)
SainSonic 3D glasses (pair)
post #813 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Yeah but it's already so tight that I can't just stretch it without getting the staples up and pulling from under. It's already extremely tight.

Not sure if this will work for you, but I used a SMALL flat head screw driver to pop the staples up then grabbed them with needle nose pliers.
Djoel likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
post #814 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post

I did this with the Cotton Sateen one I did. I wasn't happy with the tightness of the finish product, so I just pulled tighter and stapled over the old staples. I think you may not realize almost all these fabrics can be stretched to manipulate like you are explaining.

I've tried this with a number of fabrics for things outside of the purposes of this thread, and pretty much everything that was more rigid that I've done over the years ended up "working" but didn't have a smooth side to the frame. It is similar to using a complete opposite super thin/stretchy fabric and not using enough staples. You can get waves/bunching on the sides of the frames and a good amount right where it goes around the back.

Sort of like what is happening here:

The PK seems to be stretchy, but thick enough not to have that problem, or at least it is fixable. Good to hear that Cotton Sateen has the right properties to resist that as well. Thanks for sharing that.
post #815 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yeah to be fair, those little ripples you see on the side of mine, when I staple the back fabric to them I'm going to fix all of those. I have a couple spots on some of them that have those, and those are a piece of cake to fix.
post #816 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM

Little snags like this is why I say one fabric over the other might make a difference when making several of these. Just about any fabric will work, but someone making 10 at one time, might care a little more about which one is easiest to use. I wish I had the answer but I don't. Situations like this is why I made the quest to find the best fabric, but it has proven to be a long and daunting task.

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
post #817 of 1501 Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed Soupy.

Unrelated to the ongoing quest for the easiest to use fabric for different needs, when making your frames, another nice touch to dress up the frames is to get a router out and put a 1/2" 45* bevel on it. Might be harder with some posters with frames as you don't have a 90* corner/edge to use, but it does add an easy extra dimension if you have access to a router.
post #818 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View PostUnrelated to the ongoing quest for the easiest to use fabric for different needs, when making your frames, another nice touch to dress up the frames is to get a router out and put a 1/2" 45* bevel on it. Might be harder with some posters with frames as you don't have a 90* corner/edge to use, but it does add an easy extra dimension if you have access to a router.

a Router you mean this?

Linksys-Wireless-G-Router.jpg

or probably this

Wood Router 1
post #819 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

While the WRT54G router is/was SUPER popular, it doesn't quite have the RPMs needed for working with wood.

Oh, and I was wrong when I said "bevel" as I guess the the proper term is "chamfer" on the edge.

Sort of like these thin panels, but it really looks sharp on the thicker ones.

post #820 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah routers are awesome. I used my buddies to make the edges rounded on my speaker stands. It made me want to buy one, but I just don't know how often I'd use one.
post #821 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought a really night fixed/plunge combo years ago. Probably used it for a total of 7 projects in about 10 years, but every time I use it I tell myself, "I am SO glad that I bought this."

Of note, 4 of those 7 projects have been in the last 2.5 years, and 3 of those 4 are related to my current home theater. (Subwoofer build where I used the router for ALL sorts of things like cutting clean holes in braces, cutting holes for the tube port and driver, rounding a few edges, cutting groves over the joints so that I could fill them and not have seams showing, etc), another was my panels as mentioned above, another was for my riser, doing a roundover on the overhang for the carpet.

Before that I used it on 2 MAME arcade cabinets that I built to cut slots for T-molding, plus flush cutting the laminate for the covering on my latest, and the plunge router to cut out joystick holes and such. Plus a couple of other odd projects. Great tool, but yes, they can cost a chunk if you don't use them more than once.
post #822 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Some great info here, every day I learn something new on the best way to do my project when the time comes.

Thank you guys

Djoel
post #823 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
I haven't read all the pages in the thread, but the last few pages indicate that Performance Knit is the best choice (I have not letters on my pictures), however, I was wondering if there has been any testing of the material when it comes to acoustical transparency. (other then the "is it easy to blow through"-test)
post #824 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I've had the router attachment for my Dremel for several years...but haven't used it😕
post #825 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post

I haven't read all the pages in the thread, but the last few pages indicate that Performance Knit is the best choice (I have not letters on my pictures), however, I was wondering if there has been any testing of the material when it comes to acoustical transparency. (other then the "is it easy to blow through"-test)

In this thread there is testing of some of the fabrics by, I think, mtbdude.
post #826 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post

Actually, I've been following this thread from the beginning and actually several think the Silky Faile is better but really it is just a matter of what fits your needs best. Performance Knit is easy to stretch and Silky Faile is not easy to stretch. Those with letters seem to like Silky Faile as it doesn't distort text as readily but either would work but you might have to take more time with the stretchier fabric. Regarding acoustic transparency, I think there were some smoke tests done many pages back and the Performance Knit was great. Based on what I read, the feeling is that Silky Faile is very close to the Performance Knit so either should work great for our audio needs.
post #827 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

dgage is right on the money. Either of those two will yield great results for acoustical properties as well as color and usefulness.
post #828 of 1501 Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Actually, I've been following this thread from the beginning and actually several think the Silky Faile is better but really it is just a matter of what fits your needs best. Performance Knit is easy to stretch and Silky Faile is not easy to stretch. Those with letters seem to like Silky Faile as it doesn't distort text as readily but either would work but you might have to take more time with the stretchier fabric. Regarding acoustic transparency, I think there were some smoke tests done many pages back and the Performance Knit was great. Based on what I read, the feeling is that Silky Faile is very close to the Performance Knit so either should work great for our audio needs.

Pretty much nailed it. I think there is enough info, and opinions in this thread for people to make a decision on one or the other. I would like to clarify on one thing though. The Silky Faille isn't hard to stretch, it's just that it's not overly stretchy by nature. People just need to decide which properties they think is best for their needs, or flip a coin. Can't go wrong either way. Personally if there is no rush I would wait a week or so to see the comparison in color that a couple of us have coming. Minds and opinions (mine included) may change after the side by side comparison, soon to come.
Djoel likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
post #829 of 1501 Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post

Pretty much nailed it. I think there is enough info, and opinions in this thread for people to make a decision on one or the other. I would like to clarify on one thing though. The Silky Faille isn't hard to stretch, it's just that it's not overly stretchy by nature. People just need to decide which properties they think is best for their needs, or flip a coin. Can't go wrong either way. Personally if there is no rush I would wait a week or so to see the comparison in color that a couple of us have coming. Minds and opinions (mine included) may change after the side by side comparison, soon to come.

Ah, I think that I will be the one whose opinion will change. smile.gif

Just think, we will get through all of this, and BAM, Spoonflower will come out with something else, or discontinue both of these, or change their print process, etc...

At least we've prevented people from buying Kona Cotton for a couple of months. biggrin.gif
Soupy1970 likes this.
post #830 of 1501 Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

So tonight I finally got around to hanging up the panels, after some patience and careful measuring, and man oh man, am I so super happy with how everything turned out. My wife loves them too and she had a say in how they went on the walls too. I even had her yell into the bare wall then yell into a panel to see exactly what they do and she is like "OOOOOHHHHHH I can tell!" lol.

The only thing that didn't quite work out how I wanted was that my horizontal panels weren't quite large enough to cover the window well complete, so you can see like 1" below it that is still showing (below the Redskins one). It is as low as it can go because that french cleat is basically at the very edge above the window well. But oh well, it still looks awesome!

Anyways, thanks a ton to all of the advice/help in this thread, I definitely never would have done this project without the help in here. And of course, I snapped a bunch of pics. I still think the Nemo one is my favorite.

Soupy1970 likes this.
post #831 of 1501 Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Looks awesome! Nemo does look great, but I also like the Saving Private Ryan one a lot. Avatar looks like it has the deepest blacks. Great Job!

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
post #832 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I gotta say the entire project looks fantastic, well done.

Djoel
post #833 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, I like them all!
post #834 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks!

And I gotta say, all of the blacks look incredible. If the Capitals one looks not as "black" as the others, it is because in the background the words "WASHINGTON CAPITALS" are actually going horizontally across the entire thing. My camera didn't pick it up. Same with the Redskins one - there is stuff going on in the background.

Here's the actual Capitals picture I used so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/191/2/f/washington_capitals_ice_by_bbboz-d3lo5tj.jpg

And here's the Redskins one too so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.lewallpaper.com/newresolution/1366x768-p-redskins-wallpaper.jpg

In the Avatar one too, up around the heads there are some patches of really dark blue that is behind their heads as their heads curve. Again, it's very hard to make out in the picture and probably can't at all.

The blacks on the PK material are VERY good though in general.
post #835 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Liked: 15
I like how you have the darkest ones closest to the screen. Doubt you'll ever get distracted by them when the lights are down and the movie's playing.

post #836 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
purbeast,

Your panels turned out great, AND; that is a very sharp theater space you have there !!
I have to ask; what brand / model are those speakers - they look very serious (JTRs, Seatons, or....??)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #837 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks.

You are correct with the JTR brand.

The mains are Triple 12's, the surrounds are Triple 8's, and the subs are the Captivator 2400's. Total overkill for the space I have, but it sounds amazing!
post #838 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe that there really is an "overkill" for a space. The bigger the speakers and the more power you can supply them, just means that you have the head room to really fill a space with good sound. Some people under-size their speakers or underpower them and then have to turn them up louder that they should be, and get bad frequency response and are at the limits of power to where it starts distorting. eek.gif

So I think that while they are pretty boxy (my speakers aren't sexy either) you have the ability to play back frequencies that others can't, and that is not overkill to me. You also have the ability to work with larger spaces down the road if need be. biggrin.gif
post #839 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
That room looks great. I love checking back in on this thread.
post #840 of 1501 Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Thanks.

You are correct with the JTR brand.

The mains are Triple 12's, the surrounds are Triple 8's, and the subs are the Captivator 2400's. Total overkill for the space I have, but it sounds amazing!

I was going to say you're rockin' the Triple 8's for surround. Outstanding job! Looks great.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page