DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 34 - AVS Forum
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 01:42 PM 03-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

For those who've gotten the fabric samples, is the silky faille similar in the thickness and texture of the pk?

They are both what I would call a "fine thread knit" meaning that from just a short distance away, the weave just disappears (which is good). This finer weave also allows for a crisper image. Keep in mind that this is still "printing" on fabric, and not a smooth piece of glossy photo paper, but it looks really good.

They are also both pretty thin in feel, which means less bulk to have to deal with vs. other products. You won't be able to see through them once placed against solid color objects like your frame/acoustic insulation even though they are thin.

The PK stretches more than the SF.

The SF takes a little more "pull" to get wrinkles to go flat, which actually can distort the image sharply where you pull it, but the solution is easy... Just don't pull it THAT hard, and use a wrinkle release spray (per Soupy. I haven't tried that myself). The PK can distort more easily, but it takes less effort to get rid of wrinkles (again, not really an issue with wrinkle release spray).

ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 02:24 PM 03-17-2014
Thanks nick!
Dodobirdy's Avatar Dodobirdy 06:32 PM 03-17-2014

Gravity isn't complete, i have more stretching/stapling to do tomorrow, but here it is. I still want to do a pixar theme but cant find high res images that stand out. These 2 were fun, but aren't my favorites pictures.

To reiterate, i spent more time messing with warped wood than anything else - Don't use furring strips.

PK works great, easy to stretch to get it where you want.
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 09:29 PM 03-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Gravity isn't complete, i have more stretching/stapling to do tomorrow, but here it is. I still want to do a pixar theme but cant find high res images that stand out. These 2 were fun, but aren't my favorites pictures.

To reiterate, i spent more time messing with warped wood than anything else - Don't use furring strips.

Looks good. Glad that the images worked out for you as did the PK.
purbeast's Avatar purbeast 12:13 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:

Looking good.

Just FYI, I still have the hi-res Finding Nemo picture I used for mine if you are interested in that for a Pixar theme one. It's my favorite out of the 6 I made.
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 01:26 PM 03-18-2014
Ordered my Roxul 60 from ATS acoustics and my poster fabric from Spoonflower last night. I picked up 2" insulation and I would like to do 3" panels. What are you guys using for frames? I was thinking of 1x poplar. I don't really feel like ripping all the boards down to 3" so I'll either go with 1x4 and leave it or go with 1x3.
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 02:28 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

Ordered my Roxul 60 from ATS acoustics and my poster fabric from Spoonflower last night. I picked up 2" insulation and I would like to do 3" panels. What are you guys using for frames? I was thinking of 1x poplar. I don't really feel like ripping all the boards down to 3" so I'll either go with 1x4 and leave it or go with 1x3.

I went with 1x4 so that I have 2" of insulation and a 1.5" air gap. The air gap really helps with the acoustical performance of the panel, so it was a win-win... Better performance AND didn't have to rip boards.

Poplar is nice since is starts and stays pretty straight.
Waterbird's Avatar Waterbird 04:33 PM 03-18-2014
I went with poplar also, but 1x3. I hand picked each stick to make sure they were the straightest of the lot. Rethinking I maybe should have done 1x4, but frames are made now. If I really want 1/2" more air gap I'll hang the frames further from the wall. My Roxul arrived today and I continue to wait on Spoonflower. Finally got a solicited message from them that my order has been printed and will ship soon. I think it will be here Thursday.
Dodobirdy's Avatar Dodobirdy 06:35 PM 03-18-2014
Goodluck Waterbird, post pics. Did poplar work well?
Waterbird's Avatar Waterbird 07:38 PM 03-18-2014
Will do. Size and squareness came our very nicely with poplar. Just looking at the pine in the store made me cringe. Some of the poplar was bowed as well. I highly recommend hand picking the straightest ones you can.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 09:22 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbird View Post

Will do. Size and squareness came our very nicely with poplar. Just looking at the pine in the store made me cringe. Some of the poplar was bowed as well. I highly recommend hand picking the straightest ones you can.

Mind posting some pics of your frame?
dgage's Avatar dgage 09:30 PM 03-18-2014
By the way, I think the big box stores have nice cut lumber of different species in different lengths. It would cost more but I might recommend you look in that section and see if they have oak. It is stronger than poplar and more likely to stay as a straight frame. I have this bad thought of you guys using the 1x3 poplar lumber, which has a quite high moisture content and could twist and wrap once it dries out in your house, even on the wall. You really want some kiln dried wood as it will be less likely to move, or more accurately, it will already have done most of it's moving before you pick it out.
outlanderbz's Avatar outlanderbz 10:10 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:

Thank you - its 24" x 36"s

W - 3375 pixels
H - 5000 pixels
DPI - 150

Do you add in a black or colored edge to the original image? If yes, would the size you mention include that edge? I am confused on how you get the images to fit the frame and if making multiple, to make sure they are all the same size. Perhaps I need to read this thread more?

So say I want to make 4 of these and have them be 24" wide. The height can be whatever a standard movie poster would make it, I am not worried about that and obviously can't have the image distort. How do I go about making a movie poster picture include the black edge to frame it out and wrap the wood?

From reading this thread it sounds like most people use 1x3 poplar to create the frame, paint the frame front black and then fill it with Roxul Rockboard 60 24x48 panels cut to fit.
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 10:24 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlanderbz View Post

Do you add in a black or colored edge to the original image? If yes, would the size you mention include that edge? I am confused on how you get the images to fit the frame and if making multiple, to make sure they are all the same size. Perhaps I need to read this thread more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I used Gimp to resize my pictures. I got the images from google and they were around 1900pix x 2900pix. Gimp has a resize feature that lets you independently set DPI and size. I set the DPI to 150, then set the size to 26.875" x 40.875". I did this for the two posters I wanted and saved them independently as .xcf files (each poster was around 250 MB.) I then imported both images onto one canvas. Once I had them aligned with 8" between them, I created a solid black second layer that was 4" larger on each side. From there I exported the image to a jpg and uploaded to Spoonflower. I think my final .jpg for two posters was 31 MB.

It figured this out by trial and error and it sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Took me about an hour to do it all.
outlanderbz's Avatar outlanderbz 10:32 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

I can't speak for anyone else, but I used Gimp to resize my pictures. I got the images from google and they were around 1900pix x 2900pix. Gimp has a resize feature that lets you independently set DPI and size. I set the DPI to 150, then set the size to 26.875" x 40.875". I did this for the two posters I wanted and saved them independently as .xcf files (each poster was around 250 MB.) I then imported both images onto one canvas. Once I had them aligned with 8" between them, I created a solid black second layer that was 4" larger on each side. From there I exported the image to a jpg and uploaded to Spoonflower. I think my final .jpg for two posters was 31 MB.

It figured this out by trial and error and it sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Took me about an hour to do it all.

So you left 4" of black to wrap them around a 1x3 frame? You were able to fit 2 on one print from spoonflower? In the end this gave you an image to wrap on a frame that was made of 1x3 and about 23" by 37"? sorry for all the questions, I am very interested in doing this and am not worried about making the frames but the image part I am having a tough time wrapping my head around. thanks for your time!
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 11:02 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:

So you left 4" of black to wrap them around a 1x3 frame? You were able to fit 2 on one print from spoonflower? In the end this gave you an image to wrap on a frame that was made of 1x3 and about 23" by 37"? sorry for all the questions, I am very interested in doing this and am not worried about making the frames but the image part I am having a tough time wrapping my head around. thanks for your time!

No not 23x37. The finished product will be 27x41 or standard movie poster size. The images were resized to that size (-1/8" for fabric stretch), THEN the 4" of black was added to wrap around the 3" frame. So the whole image with two posters and 4" around each ended up being 49" x 70". The performance knit fabric has a printable width of 56" so my image fit sideways on two yards of fabric.

Most of the people here that are doing them are making them 24x36 so you can squeeze two side by side on the fabric, but that's a pretty tight fit and you can only have a 2" thick panel.

I'll add a pic when I get home tonight.
Waterbird's Avatar Waterbird 05:26 PM 03-19-2014
Here are a few pics of my frames. I used 1x3 kiln dried poplar. Made a nice little jig to screw them together to get them square. Spoonflower delivery tomorrow!

ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 07:07 PM 03-19-2014
Those look good, thanks! Can't believe I didn't even think about sanding a little😒

Thinking I'm going to need a support brace in the middle of mine since it'll be 8'. Should be shipped in the next 6 days.
Dodobirdy's Avatar Dodobirdy 07:08 PM 03-19-2014
Quote:

So say I want to make 4 of these and have them be 24" wide. The height can be whatever a standard movie poster would make it, I am not worried about that and obviously can't have the image distort. How do I go about making a movie poster picture include the black edge to frame it out and wrap the wood?

From reading this thread it sounds like most people use 1x3 poplar to create the frame, paint the frame front black and then fill it with Roxul Rockboard 60 24x48 panels cut to fit.

I get my movie posters from http://www.movieposterdb.com/. And send the images to a member of this forum who adds a few inches of black to each pic (or whatever color necessary).
I used 1x3" furring strips, they sucked. Poplar is better but may warp over time. On a brighter note, Waterbirds frames are much nicer/straighter than mine.

For all black panels; yes, i would recommend painting the wood depending on where you got the acoustic material from.
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 07:54 PM 03-19-2014
Quote:

...send the images to a member of this forum who adds a few inches of black to each pic (or whatever color necessary).

wink.gifwink.gif (wink wink) biggrin.gif
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 10:55 PM 03-19-2014
Here is what I just sent to spoonflower. They guarantee delivery on 3/25.

Waterbird's Avatar Waterbird 10:49 AM 03-20-2014
One thing I did with my prints was to put a single 1-pixel wide line between the two prints to aid when I cut them into individual pieces. We'll see how well it works/looks with my order. Great trick I read about earlier in this thread.

Bacon13 - I will be very interested to see if you get your order by 3/25. I was told 13 days and today is day 20 - supposed to be at the house when I get home today. Maybe these guys just got some huge temporary spike in demand.
Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 11:04 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:

One thing I did with my prints was to put a single 1-pixel wide line between the two prints to aid when I cut them into individual pieces. We'll see how well it works/looks with my order. Great trick I read about earlier in this thread.

Bacon13 - I will be very interested to see if you get your order by 3/25. I was told 13 days and today is day 20 - supposed to be at the house when I get home today. Maybe these guys just got some huge temporary spike in demand.

It better be here on the 25th. I paid extra for the guaranteed delivery date.

I thought about the 1pix line between the prints, but after an hour of getting everything lined up, I was done and didn't want to try to figure that out for the next hour. haha. Also, I'd be curious to see if a 1pix line is visible at 150 dpi between two black bars.
outlanderbz's Avatar outlanderbz 11:18 AM 03-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

wink.gifwink.gif (wink wink) biggrin.gif

if I decide to do this, I take it you're the guy that I need to bribe with something... hah
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 01:48 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

if I decide to do this, I take it you're the guy that I need to bribe with something... hah

No bribe needed...
Waterbird's Avatar Waterbird 04:19 PM 03-20-2014
Finally.... more to follow.... they look fantastic. You can see 1 pixel to cut by.

Bacon13's Avatar Bacon13 04:32 PM 03-20-2014
They look good. What size are those?
Soupy1970's Avatar Soupy1970 05:08 PM 03-20-2014
Quote:

Finally.... more to follow.... they look fantastic. You can see 1 pixel to cut by.

Those are huge. I'm really surprised the print turn out so great with such large prints. They look Awesome!
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 05:36 PM 03-20-2014
Those look great. That gives me hope mine will be as nice.
Waterbird's Avatar Waterbird 05:59 PM 03-20-2014
Thanks for the comments everyone, so far I'm pleased. Frames I made are 27" x 40.5", so I made the graphic 1/8" smaller and added black out to the width of the material... I can't find my exact calculations now, but I added enough black so I could staple on the inside of the frame on the back, so the staples wouldn'y scratch the walls. With the added border from Spoonflower I will probably have more than I need. Flash on the camera washed the blacks out a little. Can't wait to get them framed up!
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop