DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #1171 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 94
For additional info I am going to be doing quite a few of these.
(Just ordered 20 yards of fabric)

15 24x36 posters (2001 space, A new hope (star wars IV) Back to the future, Batman (new one), Battlestar (origional), Blade Runner, ET, Gandalf, The Last Starfighter, Return of the Jedi, Star Trek Motion Picture, Star Trek (New one), a Action Star trek scene, Transformers autobot logo, Tron (origional)

2. 42X24 Maps (World map and Map of Middle Earth)

3 yards with 6 12x12 family pics on each (not sure yet if going to frame these or what yet. Interested to see how they come out. These weren't in the initial plan but when I got all these done I noticed the thing on spoonflower mentioning the discount for 20+ yards.. Not reading the details I went ahead and made these up thinking why not since essentially free. By the time I read that this is only actually an additional 10% Discount and only applies if only using one design I had already gone through personal photos picked some out edited and setup for printing...

So $500 on cloth, Ordered some rockboard 60 for another $250 and then i figure my framing material is going to be around another $250.

Sure hope this is worth it. smile.gif

Really interested to hear if anyone who has used the cheaper pine has had issues with warping after completion.

One thing I did also that I haven't seen anyone else mention is on the 24x36 posters I made up a photoshop template for them to go on that I put dashed markers in the border to mark the inside of the frame to help with positioning it when stapling.
here is a smaller version of the blade runner so you get the idea . Outside border is 3.5" +.75" from edge of 24x36 area so it should line up with the inside edge of the frame. Other marks are the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 Marks

I am hoping this makes aligning and stapling easier.

I also plan on doing as someone else suggested and stapling on the inside of the 1x4 instead of on the backside.

Well I got 2 more weeks before I go home and I can start working on getting my garage setup and buying the lumber and get started on this project...
luisev likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 227
+1 on the poplar....

Pine anything or furring strips are just too hard to get/keep straight and square. Others here have mentioned how they found super straight furring strips that just warped in a matter of days. Same with the pine.
post #1173 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I used hemlock which was cheaper than the select pine. No issues with warping. Frames feel pretty steady.
post #1174 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I have used cheap 75 cent 1x2's on several frames (without insulation) and no warping yet. They are about 6 months old, but I did spend the time to really hand pick good straight boards.

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
post #1175 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 187
rfoles, I mentioned way back that I used the method of stapling to the inside frame. It helps if your print has a distinct border on the edge. I just laid the print upside down and aligned the frame edge to the print edge (not the black border) and blindly wrapped around the frame and stapled. Came out perfect with the fabric I used. If you are using a fabric that tends to make straight lines wonky (not straight) than it might be harder to used the inside staple method as you will have to manipulate the fabric. I didn't catch which fabric you were using.

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
post #1176 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post

I might have failed to word that properly. The shipping ALONE was almost $128. Then add the actual cost of the panels. Add in the current dollar conversion and this is hitting $200 for 6 panels. As stated prior these are made in this country. Hoping to find them at least on this side of the 49th.

Have you tried a local HVAC shop? Paying to have this sort of thing shipped individually is going to be stupid expensive. I can guarantee you somebody in your town or nearby is receiving similar boards by the literal truckload, so call around and see if you can't get the material locally. It wasn't at all hard to source in my area, the first guys I called knew exactly what I was looking for and were able to set me up that same day for prices lower than I could find on the internet and no shipping charges.
post #1177 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I contacted Roxul directly and they got back to me with 3 local places that do carry Rockboard 60. I reached out to them and have only heard back from 1. They said it's something they can order in but don't normally stock it. To order it I'd need to have at least a half-truck load. Yeah no thanks.
post #1178 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post

I contacted Roxul directly and they got back to me with 3 local places that do carry Rockboard 60. I reached out to them and have only heard back from 1. They said it's something they can order in but don't normally stock it. To order it I'd need to have at least a half-truck load. Yeah no thanks.

Unfortunately, that sounds familiar. Coach and I tried to find some local as well...no dice.
post #1179 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Well, there's plenty of very similar alternatives sold under a bunch of different names. Have you talked to local HVAC suppliers as to what they have in stock? You can then pull datasheets on those for details on sound absorption. Sound deadening is a big problem with HVAC so they pay attention to the acoustic properties of these panels.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the specific manufacturer. I called my local shop asking about the Corning panels and they suggested Roxul. If you have an HVAC supplier locally, they might stock something similar. The datasheets are going to be the key to making sure you get something suitable.
post #1180 of 1816 Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I live in Indy, and for what it is worth, 84 Lumber is a local dealer here and possibly nationwide. You may want to try them. They are typically very helpful. They special ordered in a batch for me and let me purchase two pieces.
post #1181 of 1816 Old 04-16-2014, 12:37 AM

Soupy, I am using the silky Faile. I plan on doing the same thing but instead of trying to line up the pattern on the front or look through the fabric my hope is that aligning the dotted line on the inside edge of the frame theoretically should by default leave the image centered in the frame. Since I didn't change the aspect ratio of any of my pictures they aren't all 24x36. Actually only a few of them are. I set the width to 24 and left the length to whatever it came out to in the same aspect ratio. most fall in the range of 32-36 inches. Once I get these made I will post some pics and any lessons learned from this.
Soupy1970 likes this.
post #1182 of 1816 Old 04-18-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 15
I placed an order for one yard of performance knit this morning. The website gave me a dismal 2 weeks of processing time before shipping, what kind of shipping speeds are people typically seeing?

post #1183 of 1816 Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I paid extra for the "guaranteed ship date" that was about 10 days out. The material showed up two days after that.
post #1184 of 1816 Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 482
2-3wks for mine
post #1185 of 1816 Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Liked: 15
yikes I guess they aren't known for their speed but more for their quality eek.gif

post #1186 of 1816 Old 04-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Liked: 49
Mine took 3+ weeks, but worth the wait!
post #1187 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hello all, long stalker of these forums. I am inspired by this topic so much I joined today just to say thanks. I plan to start to build a home in the next month and the theatre room will be about 6meters longs by 5 wide, so I'm looking for a few panels with designs.

I have never use power point before hope its easy.

I am from Australia and found this site www.cmfacoustics.com.au. It says on there site they can print to Acoustic panels but it needs to be absolute minimum of 2000 pixels wide and 300dpi is recommended.

Hope this can be done.

Thanks to various links to different sites.

rfolkes where did you fins the map to middle earth if I may ask, that would look so cool, along with other star wars themes.

Regards and thanks everyone that has posted in this thread.

post #1188 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This thread has inspired me to make some panels for my room. I am thinking 6 movie style posters, I have been gathering images from movieposterDB.com and BlueRay.com. I am unclear on the size I should be aiming for on the raw images. I do have Adobe Photoshop Elements, I tried putting one of the pictures in there but I quickly got lost trying to figure out how to re-size it. Any help there? Is there anyway we could start a repository of images somewhere that are ready to print?
post #1189 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blish2 View Post

Hello all, long stalker of these forums. I am inspired by this topic so much I joined today just to say thanks. I plan to start to build a home in the next month and the theatre room will be about 6meters longs by 5 wide, so I'm looking for a few panels with designs.

I have never use power point before hope its easy.

I am from Australia and found this site www.cmfacoustics.com.au. It says on there site they can print to Acoustic panels but it needs to be absolute minimum of 2000 pixels wide and 300dpi is recommended.

Hope this can be done.

Thanks to various links to different sites.

rfolkes where did you fins the map to middle earth if I may ask, that would look so cool, along with other star wars themes.

Regards and thanks everyone that has posted in this thread.

300dpi is going to make a super clear image that most likely will have details lost when printed on fabric. I am surprised that they are requiring that, but so be it. At 300dpi, a 2000 pixel wide image is only 6.67" wide.

You will want the absolutely largest source images you can get. Some people are having a tough time finding the right sized images for the lower quality 150dpi that Spoonflower wants. The final product should still be OK, but you will, like I said, just make sure that you are using the largest source images as possible.

Oh, and you won't use Power Point to do anything. You will lose quality and have more issues.

I will tell you the same thing that i tell everyone, if you need help resizing or "doctoring" images, let me know. I just did 3 more for people this week, and certainly can work with you on your needs. Plus, I do it for free as a way to contribute to this community. Just let me know what you find and what you want the size to be, how much border, etc and so forth and I can make it happen.
post #1190 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp View Post

This thread has inspired me to make some panels for my room. I am thinking 6 movie style posters, I have been gathering images from movieposterDB.com and BlueRay.com. I am unclear on the size I should be aiming for on the raw images. I do have Adobe Photoshop Elements, I tried putting one of the pictures in there but I quickly got lost trying to figure out how to re-size it. Any help there? Is there anyway we could start a repository of images somewhere that are ready to print?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can resize, edit, add borders, etc in Photoshop for people (for free), just let me know what you need and what your source files are.

As for a repository, there are some variables there that make it tricky. People want different sized images, different amounts of borders, the ability to print one per yard or maximize the number of prints with the least amount of yards used, etc.

Not saying that it is a bad idea, but just saying that it might be a bit tricky.

If you need help, let me know.
Djoel likes this.
post #1191 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can resize, edit, add borders, etc in Photoshop for people (for free), just let me know what you need and what your source files are.

As for a repository, there are some variables there that make it tricky. People want different sized images, different amounts of borders, the ability to print one per yard or maximize the number of prints with the least amount of yards used, etc.

Not saying that it is a bad idea, but just saying that it might be a bit tricky.

If you need help, let me know.

That's awesome that you are willing to spend the time doing this, how do I get the files to you?
post #1192 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

That's awesome that you are willing to spend the time doing this, how do I get the files to you?

Pony express
post #1193 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Normally I would say just shoot me a PM and I will get you my email address (some people have actually attached files inside their PM message to me, but there is a limit to the size of the file).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Pony express

Ha ha! Good one. tongue.gif
post #1194 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post300dpi is going to make a super clear image that most likely will have details lost when printed on fabric. I am surprised that they are requiring that, but so be it. At 300dpi, a 2000 pixel wide image is only 6.67" wide.

You will want the absolutely largest source images you can get. Some people are having a tough time finding the right sized images for the lower quality 150dpi that Spoonflower wants. The final product should still be OK, but you will, like I said, just make sure that you are using the largest source images as possible.

Oh, and you won't use Power Point to do anything. You will lose quality and have more issues.

I will tell you the same thing that i tell everyone, if you need help resizing or "doctoring" images, let me know. I just did 3 more for people this week, and certainly can work with you on your needs. Plus, I do it for free as a way to contribute to this community. Just let me know what you find and what you want the size to be, how much border, etc and so forth and I can make it happen.

Just sent you a PM

post #1195 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 06:06 PM

I got my Middle earth map just off google image search.

Middle Earth Map

A New Hope

Batman

Battlestar

Blade Runner

Back To the Future

ET

Gandalf

Last Star Fighter

Return of the Jedi

Star Trek
Star Trek
Star Trek

Transformers

Tron

World Map

There is all the images as I sent them to the printer.

Did some person ones also

Star Wars set

Hope that helps someone

OH if any of these images aren't working let me know which one so i can fix the right link. I am on a very slow internet connection (think old dial up modem shared with 15 people) so haven't verified all the links work.
nickbuol, XStanleyX and Skorzeney like this.
post #1196 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies guys so fast and thanks for the images that you have shared. How can I tell what "dpi" they are 150 or 300.
smile.gif
post #1197 of 1816 Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 PM

all of mine are 150 dpi with total image at 54" x 36"
post #1198 of 1816 Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blish2 View Post

Thanks for the replies guys so fast and thanks for the images that you have shared. How can I tell what "dpi" they are 150 or 300.
smile.gif

If you have a PC, just right click on the image and then click on Properties.

Then select the Details tab

Scroll down until you see the image size and dpi.
post #1199 of 1816 Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

If you have a PC, just right click on the image and then click on Properties.

Then select the Details tab

Scroll down until you see the image size and dpi.

Hi Nickbuol,

I have a pc and have clicked on the image and it say for example the star wars a new hope. I click on it and view image info and it some to 8meg basically and shows and the dimensions but not the dpi.

Does any one have a Conan image, think I will get quite a few from the movieposter db and blue-ray as suggested in the posts before.

post #1200 of 1816 Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
rfolkes,

Thanks for the pics! The ones on black with the lines around them. Is that a mask and print specs or something? I'd be interested in a template if you have one smile.gif I want a Matrix and Cars poster, and I'm letting the kids each pick one.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page