Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #1441 of 1809 Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I have been having good luck with Google searching too for people. As jamesjlang mentions, just set it to look for higher resolution images to save time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1809 Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

Girmic, do you have any pics of how you attached the quarter round?

haven't built my frames yet, prints from spoonflower just arrived today but still working away at bass traps, when I do make them I will likely do as jamesj said
post #1443 of 1809 Old 06-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:

So what's the verdict on the best sources for poster images? I made a huge list of possible movies I want posters of. I plan on looking for quality images of each then narrowing down based on which movie I liked best and which has the coolest poster. I have place asterisks by ones I know I will use. I plan on doing 8 posters currently. Before you ask a couple of these are for the wife and kids.

Heres one that i ordered for star wars last minute, was already high megapixel in google images so turned out really sharp printed, I think I may have actually shrunk it in photoshop lol
nickbuol, ambesolman and Boomassiv like this.
post #1444 of 1809 Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #1445 of 1809 Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Nick, what minimum res should I be searching for?
post #1446 of 1809 Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Nick, what minimum res should I be searching for?

For a standard 24"x36" movie poster the ideal resolution would be 3600x5400 (works out to 150ppi which is spoonflowers max capability/recommended). The original doesn't need to be that big, photoshop or other programs can be used to increase the size and will "interpolate" the missing pixels, its not perfect but it does the job. one of mine the biggest original I could find was 1024x768 and I blew it up to 24x36 inch. Its a bit fuzzy so I would strive to find better but I plan on putting it up and since its mostly black and white it looks fine from a distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post

What size are you going to have printed? Are you planning on the typical 24 in. x 36 in. poster. If so then find the poster you like and post the link here before you buy it. The smallest I went with and it turned out fine was 1996 x 2771. I can not tell the difference between the smallest and the largest which was 3661 x 5000.

When you find a poster you like also look next to the resolution for a number in a grey to see if there is more of the same posters. There might be a higher resolution hidden in that link. That is if you are using Movieposterdb.com for your poster.

I think earlier in the thread Nick mentioned a minimum size he recommended but can't remember exactly what he said.

As funny as it sounds I used photoshop's ruler to zoom out so 1" on screen equaled 1" on a measuring tape and stood at the viewing distance to see, worked out well enough even though the printed image won't be quite as clear.
post #1447 of 1809 Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Everyone, I am ready to take a stab at doing these. But, I am having a hard time using GIMP. I have never used software quite like this before. Couple of stupid questions...

1. How do I change the image size once I have openend it in GIMP?
2. Lets say I figure that out.. How do I add the 4" border?

Sorry for the ridiculous questions...
post #1448 of 1809 Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhard77 View Post

Hey Everyone, I am ready to take a stab at doing these. But, I am having a hard time using GIMP. I have never used software quite like this before. Couple of stupid questions...

I ended up using Photoshop instead, not sure how to use gimp
post #1449 of 1809 Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhard77 View Post

I can resize them to whatever you need and add a border of whatever color you want (I use Photoshop too)... I've done it for several others here. In some cases, I've even edited out words, expanded (added) additional height or width when cropping would take away from the effect of the picture, etc...

Best of all, I don't charge anything.

I would need you to send me a PM if you want me to do it, and I will send you my email address to send your files to. I have time Thursday night, Friday afternoon/night, and part of Saturday before I head out of town for a week.

No need to struggle with something that you are only going to do a couple of times.
post #1450 of 1809 Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Nick, what res should I target for images?
post #1451 of 1809 Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nick, what res should I target for images?

The biggest you can get. LOL

OK, ideal for a 24" x 36" image would be 3600 x 5400 at 150 dpi, but good luck finding one that large natively. I've done a number of them with great end results when the SMALLEST dimension being around 1200 at 150 dpi which is about the equivalent to 1875 at 96dpi or 2500 at 72dpi for along the 24" (or whatever the shortest dimension is). These come out pretty much perfect, but are still hard to find.

I've seen good end results with dimensions about 1/2 of those sizes. Since most stuff on the internet is at 72dpi for screen viewing, that means at least 1250 for the shortest dimension.

Below that and you are rolling the dice, although I did do some work for someone who is really pushing that level due to REALLY wanting to zoom in on some images. I don't think that he has gotten his test images back yet.
post #1452 of 1809 Old 06-05-2014, 11:57 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I can resize them to whatever you need and add a border of whatever color you want (I use Photoshop too)... I've done it for several others here. In some cases, I've even edited out words, expanded (added) additional height or width when cropping would take away from the effect of the picture, etc...

Best of all, I don't charge anything.

I would need you to send me a PM if you want me to do it, and I will send you my email address to send your files to. I have time Thursday night, Friday afternoon/night, and part of Saturday before I head out of town for a week.

No need to struggle with something that you are only going to do a couple of times.

Thanks for the offer!! PM sent..
post #1453 of 1809 Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1454 of 1809 Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Liked: 11
Using Roxul Safe N Sound what is the general threshold dimension to use add a support along the middle. I have 2 30x37 frames cut with the roxul glued in...I am leaning toward putting a middle support along that but just wondering what other people have noticed. Thanks!
post #1455 of 1809 Old 06-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
Using Roxul Safe N Sound what is the general threshold dimension to use add a support along the middle. I have 2 30x37 frames cut with the roxul glued in...I am leaning toward putting a middle support along that but just wondering what other people have noticed. Thanks!
I bought some small dia. dowels to wedge horizonily inside the frame, just put two spaced evenly. I did one of 7 but stopped and didnt use them on the rest - the batts were stiff enough I didnt think it was neccassary, they are not sagging into the fabric and look fine without them.
post #1456 of 1809 Old 06-14-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post
Girmic, do you have any pics of how you attached the quarter round?
So for now I have opted to not use quarter round, we shall see if this holds for the rest (have mostly dark posters) here's 3/11 done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140614_233605.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	118273  
luisev likes this.

Last edited by Girmic; 06-14-2014 at 11:58 PM. Reason: adding pics since you can't from mobile
post #1457 of 1809 Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good Girmic.
post #1458 of 1809 Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Looks good Girmic.
thanks nick, update one more left to go, I had 2 left which I kept for last since they were essentially bordered in white. They were clearly going to show through so I went and got some quarter round, as others have said it works quite well, I'll finish the last one tomorrow and then its just placement. One thing to note for those thinking of doing these posters just know that if you have white and black bordered frames using quarter round on some and not on others will obviously make them different thicknesses, for me I'm lucky because the 2 with 1/4 round will end up going above my diy bass traps (didn't even think about it until I put them up there to keep them out of the way and then really liked it haha) and not show the extra thickness. Pics of final project once its all placed.
post #1459 of 1809 Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've been a long time lurker on this particular thread. I wanted to share my final projects that are now on the walls. Now I am anxiously awaiting my theater seats which I hopefully will have in the next 4 weeks. Thanks to Nick in particular for his help in getting the prints ready for me.

I built the 24x36 inch frames using 1 x 3 poplar. I used a Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig to make the frames and absolutely loved it. Worked very well and quick - was $40 from Lowes and can use it for other projects in the future.

I bought the Roxul Rockboard online, using an electric knife to cut out the pieces. Thankfully I had an air compressor and a stapler/nailer to use for the staples. There is a bit of a learning curve with attaching the prints to the frames. Once you get it figured out, you can crank through them. I would recommend trying to use posters that are primarily black, as it is much easier to line up. I, like a few others on here, noticed the frame behind prints where the print has a white background. It isn't horrible and am not inclined to go back and fix it since you really have to look for it.

I purhchased the prints with the Silky Faile and was very impressed with the color and clarity of the prints. Even greatly surpassed my wife's expectations.

Do not order expedited shipping from Spoonflower unless you are really in a crunch. I had regular shipping on mine - had it on my doorstep in less than one week.

Thanks again to Nick and for those of you who have contributed your experiences in building the posters!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5786.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	122890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5788.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	122898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5790.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	122906  
ellisr63 and luisev like this.
post #1460 of 1809 Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTX View Post
I've been a long time lurker on this particular thread. I wanted to share my final projects that are now on the walls. Now I am anxiously awaiting my theater seats which I hopefully will have in the next 4 weeks. Thanks to Nick in particular for his help in getting the prints ready for me.

I built the 24x36 inch frames using 1 x 3 poplar. I used a Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig to make the frames and absolutely loved it. Worked very well and quick - was $40 from Lowes and can use it for other projects in the future.

I bought the Roxul Rockboard online, using an electric knife to cut out the pieces. Thankfully I had an air compressor and a stapler/nailer to use for the staples. There is a bit of a learning curve with attaching the prints to the frames. Once you get it figured out, you can crank through them. I would recommend trying to use posters that are primarily black, as it is much easier to line up. I, like a few others on here, noticed the frame behind prints where the print has a white background. It isn't horrible and am not inclined to go back and fix it since you really have to look for it.

I purhchased the prints with the Silky Faile and was very impressed with the color and clarity of the prints. Even greatly surpassed my wife's expectations.

Do not order expedited shipping from Spoonflower unless you are really in a crunch. I had regular shipping on mine - had it on my doorstep in less than one week.

Thanks again to Nick and for those of you who have contributed your experiences in building the posters!
Those turned out really nice. Great room too👍
post #1461 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 05:36 AM

Liked: 22
So I sent out two test images for my project. These two images were the ones that were stretched the most out of all the images. I figured if these look fine the rest shouldn't be an issue. Let me know what you guys think. BIG thanks goes out to nickbuol for helping me with the up scaling.

The picture of Venom was stretched 6x its original if any one is wondering.

Sorry about the picture quality my room is not super bright and I am using my iphone for pics

I only had time to stretch one last night but will do the Cpt America one soon and post a pic of it. I save this one because of the White around Cpt Americas head, I may half to alter my frame a bit so you don't see it behind the white.

Again please chime in and let me know if these images pass in your opinion.
thanks
post #1462 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTX View Post

Glad that they worked out for you. They look really nice in the room.
post #1463 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayliketheDIRT View Post
So I sent out two test images for my project. These two images were the ones that were stretched the most out of all the images. I figured if these look fine the rest shouldn't be an issue. Let me know what you guys think. BIG thanks goes out to nickbuol for helping me with the up scaling.

Sorry about the picture quality my room is not super bright and I am using my iphone for pics

I only had time to stretch one last night but will do the Cpt America one soon and post a pic of it. I save this one because of the White around Cpt Americas head, I may half to alter my frame a bit so you don't see it behind the white.

thanks
I responded to your emails, but for everyone else here, these images were REALLY upscaled. By doing to, Photoshop has to "guess" and "make up" bits and pixels to fill in the missing data between the smaller original images and the larger ones. This creates blur and makes images a little dull.

I think that on the wall, the Venom looks just fine though.
post #1464 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pardon me if this has already been brought up, but aren't many of you hanging these way too high to be useful? In many of the photos they are far above tweeter height, and in many cases, it seems that there has been no attention paid to figuring out where the first reflection points are.

Sure, you'll get some benefit from them simply being in the room, but it seems like a waste of effort if you aren't maximizing the effectiveness by placing them in the right spot, no?
jkasanic likes this.
post #1465 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Pardon me if this has already been brought up, but aren't many of you hanging these way too high to be useful? In many of the photos they are far above tweeter height, and in many cases, it seems that there has been no attention paid to figuring out where the first reflection points are.

Sure, you'll get some benefit from them simply being in the room, but it seems like a waste of effort if you aren't maximizing the effectiveness by placing them in the right spot, no?
I assume that you are most recently referring to RJTX's pictures? I would agree that they are too high to maximize their effectiveness in the room, and I am not sure if first reflection point measurements were done either.

In general, I do agree completely with this that if you are going to go through the effort and cost that you should be trying to place them in locations that will yield the best bang for your buck.

I have brought that up in the past here, and since this isn't the more hard-core acoustical treatments thread, I haven't pushed it much.

A lot of people are going to looks and still reducing flutter echo and such in their room, even with "poor placement." For them, the looks are more important.

I spent a lot of time working out first reflection points (marked them off for all 3 of my front main speakers and for all 8 seats) and it was basically close enough to a solid line along each wall. Everything is a compromise until the point in which you treat, for example, the entire wall slightly above tweeter/ear height (which should be close to the same) down to the floor. So while I have my front most panels set up for the closest speaker to that wall and my personal favorite seat to sit in, I am not being as effective for most of the other seats. It is still a major improvement in the room, but even with those areas accounted for, it is still not completely ideal for maximizing acoustical performance for all seats and with all of the main speakers.

So thank you for bring this point up again. It is important to do, but not everyone here is worried about it. They are OK with "good" improvement. With a little planning and placement tweaks, they could get "better" improvement, with "best" being a LOT more treatments and probably the scrapping of the poster panels altogether.
jkasanic likes this.

Last edited by nickbuol; 06-18-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #1466 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Just a note on 1st reflection points (or ipsilateral rf's). Most people treat these points as they're the most common for high gain early reflections. There are a couple school's of thought regarding these reflections (on whether they muddy the sound or actually improve it) but of even more concern for some might be contralateral reflections (i.e. those reflections from opposite walls like left speaker off right wall and vice versa). I suggest anyone investing the time and effort into making treatments to spend a $100 and get a USB mic and REW. There's no better way to objectively confirm your treatments are actually improving the sound in your room. Just my $.02...
nickbuol likes this.
post #1467 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Just a note on 1st reflection points (or ipsilateral rf's). Most people treat these points as they're the most common for high gain early reflections. There are a couple school's of thought regarding these reflections (on whether they muddy the sound or actually improve it) but of even more concern for some might be contralateral reflections (i.e. those reflections from opposite walls like left speaker off right wall and vice versa). I suggest anyone investing the time and effort into making treatments to spend a $100 and get a USB mic and REW. There's no better way to objectively confirm your treatments are actually improving the sound in your room. Just my $.02...
In placement for first reflections etc I might end up losing the WAF battle and have to place them higher on the wall. Mine is not a dedicated HT and furniture somewhat randomly placed on the sides and the wife doesn't want the bottoms to be below or too close to the top of the chairs etc. My basement is unfinished though so at least this initial investment can be used more effectively down there.. Hopefully in the end it does make the room sound better as a whole anyway
nickbuol likes this.
post #1468 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayliketheDIRT View Post

thanks
I used pretty much the same capt America one from what I can tell, the upper background is more of a grey mix than pure white so I never noticed the frame behind, only 2 of mine I noticed the frame backing and used 1/4 round. Could be the iPhone pic but it does look pretty white to the upper left

Another edit haha I see the way your doing your frames so not the same issue I had, doesn't seem like you'll see the white behind but can't quite tell

Last edited by Girmic; 06-18-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #1469 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Just a note on 1st reflection points ... I suggest anyone investing the time and effort into making treatments to spend a $100 and get a USB mic and REW. There's no better way to objectively confirm your treatments are actually improving the sound in your room. Just my $.02...
What is "REW" (link?)
thx
post #1470 of 1809 Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
What is "REW" (link?)
thx
http://www.roomeqwizard.com/