Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1501 of 1522 Old 06-28-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 326
DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I have an insert fireplace, which means a bump out on the outside of my house on one side of the living room. I'm considering putting an 18", maybe even a 24" sub in the wall and building an enclosure within the bump out. I'd then use some Spoonflower printed artwork to hide the beast of a sub. I'm sure it would work...

That's a great idea! You could even take a pic of how it looks now, print that on fabric and it'll still look like a fireplace😎

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

Last edited by ambesolman; 06-28-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: 😏
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1522 Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had an idea to try and create acoustically transparent movie posters. Has anyone done that before?
post #1503 of 1522 Old 07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
I had an idea to try and create acoustically transparent movie posters. Has anyone done that before?
Out of what material? Fabric is working great and that is what this thread is about.
post #1504 of 1522 Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, for those people that are looking for some Photoshop help and are thinking about sending me a PM, if I haven't already talked to you, I am pretty much booked up until the beginning of August. I have a few that I am working on now, plus some that I should be getting later this week, and then it is vacation time for 2 weeks.
post #1505 of 1522 Old 07-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My bad. In re-reading some posts in the thread it sounds like the information that I'm looking for is already here.

Thanks!
post #1506 of 1522 Old 07-15-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I saw your original (unedited) response.

It's all good.

Most of the acoustical tests that were done were with the fabric (many times in a frame) just in front of a speaker with a microphone taking measurements. The end results for acoustical transparency was very good from an absorption panel perspective. For hiding speakers you will want to find the graphs buried back a bit in the thread to see if they will work with your speakers and space. I would think that they would.
ambesolman likes this.
post #1507 of 1522 Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thought I would post in here, as I posted these in my own build thread. Ordered some new posters from spoonflower in the performance knit, just got done redoing one, and it turned out awesome. Spoonflower has come along way since I ordered posters from them about 3 years ago....

ambesolman likes this.
post #1508 of 1522 Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That looks fantastic Robins! Nice work!!

I have mine finally completed and am going to post pics soon!
post #1509 of 1522 Old 07-19-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Great looking poster.
post #1510 of 1522 Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 AM

So I finally finished all of my posters and have some pics to share. But first I need to say a huge thank you to Nickbuol again for his help with photoshop and setting up the posters to print. Also Spoonflower was super fast shipping my order. I placed the order on a Friday morning and had them by Monday evening with regular shipping!

My pics turned out pretty terrible and do not speak to the quality of these prints! I only have my iphone to take pics with and the lighting in the home theater washed them out, but they look incredible in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (1).JPG (154.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (163.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (78.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (78.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (1).JPG (89.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (2).JPG (83.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1 (2).JPG (94.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1 (3).JPG (83.2 KB, 48 views)
post #1511 of 1522 Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Those turned out great. Glad I could help.

How did my editing turn out in the final product? (for those that don't know, I edited out dates from a number of the posters)

I particularly wonder about the Inception one since it took quite a bit of editing....
post #1512 of 1522 Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Those turned out great. Glad I could help.

How did my editing turn out in the final product? (for those that don't know, I edited out dates from a number of the posters)

I particularly wonder about the Inception one since it took quite a bit of editing....
The final product looks flawless. No one would ever no they originally had dates on them. Matter of fact I can't remember where the date was on the inception poster and couldn't find the spot it used to be.
post #1513 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The date was right in the middle of the words at the bottom. Lots of shifting and editing. Glad it looks good.
post #1514 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I just received my order from Spoonflower - things look nice - however, I was looking to get a high resolution (50-70MP) photo - with lots of detail - that I want to split between 3 panels. Problem is that they have a limit on how large an individual .jpg can be - so I have to down res. and the difference is noticeable in the print.
Is there a similar company (not too high priced) that has AT fabric and allows larger files?
The files are over 100MB - so even when split into 3 separate files- they exceed the Spoonflower max. Also - I'd like to increase the dpi and make the files even larger if possible.

Also - I was pretty amazed at how tightly woven the PK fabric is - All I can say is - are you sure it's AT? :-) Compared to the Guildford of Maine and SeymourAV AT screen material - there's a major difference in how tightly the PK is woven - no one would think it's AT, whereas the others mentioned are clearly apparent that they are AT.

Last edited by cgott42; 07-22-2014 at 01:15 PM.
post #1515 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
I just received my order from Spoonflower - things look nice - however, I was looking to get a high resolution (50-70MP) photo - with lots of detail - that I want to split between 3 panels. Problem is that they have a limit on how large an individual .jpg can be - so I have to down res. and the difference is noticeable in the print.
If you are going to split one image into 3 panels, why not split the image into three files? That would allow you to keep the hi resolution you want and not exceed the Spoonflower size limit.
post #1516 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Is there a similar company (not too high priced) that has AT fabric and allows larger files?

Also - I was pretty amazed at how tightly woven the PK fabric is - All I can say is - are you sure it's AT? :-) Compared to the Guildford of Maine and SeymourAV AT screen material - there's a major difference in how tightly the PK is woven - no one would think it's AT, whereas the others mentioned are clearly apparent that they are AT.
Are you planning to put your prints in front of your main or surround speakers? If so, you might need to do some testing to see how frequencies are affected, mainly the top end. However, for acoustic treatments I doubt you'd have sensitive enough equipment to measure a difference between a couple different fabrics when placed over insulation.
post #1517 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post
If you are going to split one image into 3 panels, why not split the image into three files? That would allow you to keep the hi resolution you want and not exceed the Spoonflower size limit.
Oops - I wasn't clear (going to edit my post) - The files are over 100MB - so even when split into 3 separate files- they exceed the Spoonflower max. Also - I'd like to increase the dpi and make the files even larger if possible.
post #1518 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Are you planning to put your prints in front of your main or surround speakers? If so, you might need to do some testing to see how frequencies are affected, mainly the top end. However, for acoustic treatments I doubt you'd have sensitive enough equipment to measure a difference between a couple different fabrics when placed over insulation.
I'm putting them over the surrounds and acoustic panels.
I was also going to put straight black on top of the center -it sounds like I should use GOM for that.
post #1519 of 1522 Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm putting them over the surrounds and acoustic panels.
I was also going to put straight black on top of the center -it sounds like I should use GOM for that.
This is the AV SCIENCE forum so the only surefire way to know is to measure the difference. I'm not sure what measuring equipment you'd have but unless it is very good, I doubt you'd be able to measure a difference at the listening position.

Here's a simple test since it sounds like you have some of the fabric. Close your eyes and do a blind test. Let someone else hold the fabric (with a makeshift frame) in front of the surround. Have them move it in and out and see if you can tell the difference. Since you might hear the frame going in front of the speaker and your brain will try to say there was a change, have them try to trick you by starting to put the frame in front but not really change it. So with them trying to trick you, see if you can really identify when the fabric is in front...I doubt you'll be able to.

If you can tell a difference, then you should be able to measure a difference so then I'd recommend doing that so you can post on the AVS forum. Without the measurements, some people get a little up in arms with saying you can hear a difference.
post #1520 of 1522 Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The PK actually tested better than the other fabrics the Spoonflower offers for AT properties, and those tested out great for panel use like GOM does. While GOM is the defacto standard that people use, it is very "industrial" looking and obviously can't be printed on.

100 MB divided by 3 is 33.3MB and under the 40 MB file limit. You really aren't going to notice higher than 150 dpi since you are printing get on fabric. I mean, you aren't printing on solid, smooth photo paper... ;-)

I used original artwork on 24x48 inch panels (larger than others are doing) and it turned out perfect. I created it at 100% resolution and the art spans across 3 panels. Just saved them as the largest file size closest to the 40MB max and it was really spot on.

That is my experience and I am pretty picky.
post #1521 of 1522 Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
That's a great idea! You could even take a pic of how it looks now, print that on fabric and it'll still look like a fireplace😎

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
Dgage,
Are you removing the insert (firebox) portion? Most are made of sheet metal with multiple layers for heat insulation from the combustible surfaces nearby, it's gonna rattle like a snake. Not to mention the flue pipe. Oops, just did.
Maybe this should have been a PM.....?
Ron

"New Member" since 2007....
post #1522 of 1522 Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
Dgage,
Are you removing the insert (firebox) portion? Most are made of sheet metal with multiple layers for heat insulation from the combustible surfaces nearby, it's gonna rattle like a snake. Not to mention the flue pipe. Oops, just did.
Maybe this should have been a PM.....?
Ron
Good points but I plan on using isolation hangers to hang the sub or otherwise separate it from the structure. So no, I don't plan to remove the firebox insert...but then again, that would then give me a perfect place to put the sub.
ambesolman likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page