post #1531 of 1808 Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoutician84 View Post
Thanks for clarifying about the blacks. I think I will still go with SF for the first go, although it is a toss-up. I've just got a hunch that the mounting will be a bit easier for me with the less stretchy fabric. If I don't succeede, I'll go with the PK next time.
Yup. Go for it! I think that you will be successful either way from a mounting perspective.

Oh, get another person to help you hold it in place if at all possible, or use masking tape to temporarily hold the fabric where you want it before stapling. Both of these methods should make it work the first time with either fabric type. I did large (24" x 48" x 3.5" and 24" x 48" x 5.5") panels in PK by myself without too much trouble. It was harder to man-handle the frame and to keep the fabric from sliding around than anything else (thus the reason for someone to help or using tape). Just take your time and you will do well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1808 Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Anyone know of a good online source to find the JM 1000 Fiberglass that was mentioned in the very first post?

I recently moved overseas and need to find someone that will ship to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #1533 of 1808 Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhard77 View Post
So I finally finished all of my posters and have some pics to share. But first I need to say a huge thank you to Nickbuol again for his help with photoshop and setting up the posters to print. Also Spoonflower was super fast shipping my order. I placed the order on a Friday morning and had them by Monday evening with regular shipping!

My pics turned out pretty terrible and do not speak to the quality of these prints! I only have my iphone to take pics with and the lighting in the home theater washed them out, but they look incredible in person.
are these fabric posters? they look incredible...

I confess to not having read up on this thread in a while...
post #1534 of 1808 Old 08-26-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
are these fabric posters? they look incredible...

I confess to not having read up on this thread in a while...
Yes, printed on fabric. They add to the movie theater feel and are acoustically transparent enough to turn into nice looking acoustical panels.
post #1535 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
6 yards of SF is on order! *waiting game*

7.2 Genelec 8240A, 8040A, 8030A, XTZ 12.16
Onkyo 809, Epson TW9000, 120" TabTension
post #1536 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoutician84 View Post
6 yards of SF is on order! *waiting game*
Awesome. They usually crank these out pretty quickly. Shipping to Norway will be the longest part of waiting. Let us know how long that takes (in addition to my previous requests for photos. )
post #1537 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So what does everyone recommend I use for the insulation? OC 703 or other?
post #1538 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post
OC703 is the "default standard" for this kind of application as it has been trusted for many, many years, however, there are other products that people are having very good success with that can many times be found locally and for less money than the OC703. I went with OC703 just because it was a tried and true solution to my needs. Others have used Roxul Safe n Sound from Lowes, and a few others that escape my mind right now.

You can also order from some sources online. Look at the link below for a short list of some materials. If you base the "model" insulation to be OC703, then look for something with similar numbers, thickness, and rigidity (needs to be stiff). Keep in mind that every room is different and since most people are just adding general absorption, the numbers can be off by a little bit and still yield similar results.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/page--Se...erial--ac.html

Or for a REALLY long list, look at Bob Gold's stuff here:
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
post #1539 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
OC703 is the "default standard" for this kind of application as it has been trusted for many, many years, however, there are other products that people are having very good success with that can many times be found locally and for less money than the OC703. I went with OC703 just because it was a tried and true solution to my needs. Others have used Roxul Safe n Sound from Lowes, and a few others that escape my mind right now.

You can also order from some sources online. Look at the link below for a short list of some materials. If you base the "model" insulation to be OC703, then look for something with similar numbers, thickness, and rigidity (needs to be stiff). Keep in mind that every room is different and since most people are just adding general absorption, the numbers can be off by a little bit and still yield similar results.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/page--Se...erial--ac.html

Or for a REALLY long list, look at Bob Gold's stuff here:
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
What size are people making the panels? I was thinking of 24"x36"x2" but i havent seen the 703 in that size. Seems it is all 24"x48" that I see online. Is it easy enough to cut to a different size?
post #1540 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It cuts very easily using an electric knife, like for cutting turkey. 24" x 36" is pretty ideal for replicating the average movie poster dimensions.
post #1541 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
I used Roxul Rockboard 60 for wall treatments but OC703 is great too. And I used the Roxul Safe & Sound that you can get from Lowes for the ceiling treatments. I wouldn't use the Safe & Sound in wall treatments as they aren't rigid and could sag.

I used a bread knife to cut the insulation and that worked well.

Regarding size, many recommend leaving an inch between the insulation and the wall so you might build the frame 3" deep and put the insulation near the front to leave the 1" near the wall.
ambesolman likes this.
post #1542 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I used Roxul Rockboard 60 for wall treatments but OC703 is great too. And I used the Roxul Safe & Sound that you can get from Lowes for the ceiling treatments. I wouldn't use the Safe & Sound in wall treatments as they aren't rigid and could sag.

I used a bread knife to cut the insulation and that worked well.

Regarding size, many recommend leaving an inch between the insulation and the wall so you might build the frame 3" deep and put the insulation near the front to leave the 1" near the wall.
Spot on. That is why I like the OC703. Roxul Rockboard 60 is good stuff too. You want rigid. The people that used the Safe n Sound I think had to put a gap between their front fabric and the insulation to keep it from "bowing" out from the more saggy material. Others put a few dowels in the front and back of the less-rigid insulation to hold it in place, but in my book, by the time you do all that messing around, you could have just paid a few bucks more and got something rigid and used that wasted space from trying to hold the insulation up as an air gap between the insulation and their wall and boosted the performance of the panel.

Check out the links I posted earlier and find a product that looks like it is what you want and call your local home improvement stores to see what they have or can get.

A crash course on the numbers from those links:
The higher the density, generally the lower it will absorb (thickness also plays into this).

The other numbers with the Hz number above them basically mean (again, not detailed, just crash course) how well that material absorbs that frequency. The closer to 1.0, the closer to "full absorption." I know, some numbers are greater than 1.0... This is a crash course, and basically for what we are doing, wee don't care above 1.0 for general absorbers like the panels here.

The NRC is the Noise Reduction Coefficent. Again, 0 is perfectly reflective, and 1.0 means perfectly absorptive. This is more of an "overall rating" based off of a standardized test. So as you can see, some materials have a higher number on the low end, and are typically more dense and thicker to get to those numbers. Air gaps help as well and theoretically a 2" panel with a 2" air gap approaches (fairly closely) to the same real world absorption as a 4" panel with no air gap. This is great since it helps us to keep costs down of course since the 4" panel costs more than the 2" panel (with its "free" 2" air gap).

At home I have a link to a site with a calculator that you can put in the properties of the acoustical material, add other materials (or air gaps) and it shows you the performance comparison on a graph. I can't remember the name of it, and Google isn't being my friend tonight. I travel home tomorrow and hopefully I will remember to find it. I thought that I used it here in this thread somewhere, but maybe that was on a different site...

Anyway, for more details on the numbers, look here:
http://www.acoustical.com/documentat...stributors-inc
dgage and ambesolman like this.
post #1543 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

EDIT: I found it! Back in post 1332 of this topic... Again, notice the nice low end improvement by just adding, in this case, a 1.5" air gap like I did. The green line would represent my 6 side panels, and the yellow line would represent my since rear panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I wanted to provide a graph showing 2" of OC703 with no air gap, vs 2" of OC703 with a 1.5" air gap, vs 4" of OC703 with no air gap vs 4" of OC703 with a 1.5" air gap and their performance...

Click here for the cool graph and calculator

You can use that page to also edit various parameters as needed as well.

Here is the graph in case that website ever vanishes years from now. As you can see, putting an air gap behind the 2" material REALLY helps to make it perform like the 4" material, but of course air is a lot cheaper than the thicker insulation.

post #1544 of 1808 Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is 2" and 4" OC703 with 0" and 2" air gaps:

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mli...s42=1&d42=50.8

I also just realized that my graph in the post before this, I didn't use the correct air gap thickness for my 4" OC703. I used 28mm instead of 38.1, so I am getting a little bit better low end performance with my 1.5" (38.1mm) air gap than the yellow shows.
post #1545 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered on the evening of Aug. 19 and just my order just shipped today. I may have it by Saturday since I'm just a state away and they are using USPS.

My printings are a little different as they are "art" and not movie posters. Should help with the sound in my living room theater. The first two are 36"x24". The last one is larger at 48"x32".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dgage_Art1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	234129   Click image for larger version

Name:	dgage_Art2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	234137   Click image for larger version

Name:	dgage_Art3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	234145  

Last edited by dgage; 08-28-2014 at 04:49 PM.
post #1546 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Good stuff Dave! It'll be like you're glamping every day

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1547 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Good stuff Dave! It'll be like you're glamping every day
Smart something or other. I'm not much a fan of Warhol but there was a nice piece by Monet I wanted but I couldn't find a high-res enough pict online,,,so apparently we like nature photos. And I'd say we don't do glamping but I've got one of those big canvas tents so it's probably closer to glamping than camping but at least it isn't vamping (camping out of the van).

Now don't you have more MDF dust to inhale?
post #1548 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I ordered on the evening of Aug. 19 and just my order just shipped today. I may have it by Saturday since I'm just a state away and they are using USPS.

My printings are a little different as they are "art" and not movie posters. Should help with the sound in my living room theater. The first two are 36"x24". The last one is larger at 48"x32".
Great image choices. Can't wait to see pictures of them in your room myself.
post #1549 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Smart something or other. I'm not much a fan of Warhol but there was a nice piece by Monet I wanted but I couldn't find a high-res enough pict online,,,so apparently we like nature photos. And I'd say we don't do glamping but I've got one of those big canvas tents so it's probably closer to glamping than camping but at least it isn't vamping (camping out of the van).

Now don't you have more MDF dust to inhale?

Guess you haven't checked my build thread

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1550 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Nicely done, what fabric did you end up going with?
post #1551 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Guess you haven't checked my build thread
What I see are pieces of wood that need to be assembled...and yet you're in here giving me a hard time. But seriously, great job so far, especially with limited tools.
post #1552 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girmic View Post
Nicely done, what fabric did you end up going with?
I went with Silky Faille thanks to you! Thanks again for sending me the fabrics.
post #1553 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Girmic ordered samples of Silky Faille and Performance Knit with many small movie posters on them. After he was done with them and selected Performance Knit, he sent them to me and paid for shipping from Canada. I truly appreciated the opportunity to compare the two fabrics in person and now it is my turn to pass it forward. So the first one to Private Message me will get the two samples shipped via USPS mail (limit of $10 or so just in case someone from Australia wants me to send them for free ). Thanks again Girmic for sending me the samples. I actually meant to forward them sooner but I've been swamped with starting a business.

EDIT - SAMPLE PRINTS CLAIMED.
ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by dgage; 08-29-2014 at 06:31 AM.
post #1554 of 1808 Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I went with Silky Faille thanks to you! Thanks again for sending me the fabrics.
My pleasure, can't wait to hear your impressions with SF, I will likely make more in the future.
post #1555 of 1808 Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

And for those on the fence as to which to use, it just goes to show that even when looking at the same samples, people still don't pick the same material based off of their own opinions. I know that some people wish that there was just 1 fabric to use, but unfortunately (or maybe it IS fortunately) we have 2 and people have to weigh the pros and cons of each to make their choice. People have been successful with both, and again, it just comes down to needs from a breathe-ability, stretchability, color accuracy, and sheen.

Both products will look great. Can't wait to see more pictures. Speaking of which, I have to do some poster image hunting today and some image resizing, tweaking, etc for a couple of people that have been waiting for me to get home from a business trip. I better start working on that today....
post #1556 of 1808 Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Nick, how far out are you currently? I'm about to decide on 8 images I'll need formatted if you don't mind helping out.
post #1557 of 1808 Old 08-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Nick, how far out are you currently? I'm about to decide on 8 images I'll need formatted if you don't mind helping out.
If needed I'll be home tonight and could format them for you if you want
post #1558 of 1808 Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got home from the weekend and I am currently caught up as well.
post #1559 of 1808 Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

What size is best for these? 24"x48" or 36x48?
post #1560 of 1808 Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What size is best for these? 24"x48" or 36x48?
Since the fabric is 54" wide and can be print across multiple yards, I think you'll find your image (resolution) to be the limiting factor.

I have two coming tomorrow that are 36"x24". The last one is larger at 48"x32" and with the 3" black border on all sides, I had to go up to 2 yards but that leaves plenty of room on all sides.
blish2 likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page