DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #1591 of 1612 Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just got ours in yesterday. Excuse the washed out iPhone photos, the blacks are great, really really black. A few of the pics show that. We decided to go with a minimalistic, portrait theme. We also went half/half with kids movies, since in reality, that's what we watch the most of in the theater. It's life with small children. Also threw in one for the girls.

Got most of these either from movieposterdb.com or the blu ray forums. I was surprised at the relative lack of star wars portrait type posters to choose from. I really wanted a darth vader portrait, but couldn't find a high res one.

It'll be a bit before I get frames built for these, but to say I'm very pleased with these would be an understatement. They look amazing.

EDIT: Trying to attach photos but it's not letting me....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	262194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4642.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	262202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4639.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	262210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4641.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	262218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	262226  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1612 Old 09-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Okay, so only 5 at a time works. Here's the other 5.

36x24" with a 3" border that will wrap around the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	262234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4643.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	262242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4647.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	262250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4646.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	262258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4644.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	262266  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1593 of 1612 Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Those are awesome! Haven't seen most of them.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1594 of 1612 Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
The only deals that I've ever seen or been emailed about from Spoonflower is just on 8" x 8" samples of new materials. That is how I got my sample fabrics to compare in the past. Doesn't help much for someone looking to order their panel fabric though.
wraunch likes this.

- Nick Buol

post #1595 of 1612 Old 09-15-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Hey Guys, I'm trying to download a few poster files on SpoonFlower site, what setting are you guys using.

For instance

1)Design Size? Smaller, Bigger, (not too sure what's up with this section?)

2)Choose size and amount? I'm thinking 54" for Silky Faille?

And finally does the Thumbnail has any affect on the end product? Also any other thing I should know before I toss down the credit card.

Thanks

Djoel

post #1596 of 1612 Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah and one other thing, how about the repeat, I think Center sounds like the way to go, but I that's just a guess.

Djoel

post #1597 of 1612 Old 09-16-2014, 01:42 AM

I used photoshop to put a black frame around each poster, then resized to the exact size I wanted. Then uploaded and printed them centered on a yard of the performance knit. That way the posters were the precise size I wanted, using smaller/bigger on the spoon flower site. Was not exact.

The preview is exactly what you get. The thumbnails all seemed to be the lower left corner only.
nickbuol likes this.

post #1598 of 1612 Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
I used photoshop to put a black frame around each poster, then resized to the exact size I wanted. Then uploaded and printed them centered on a yard of the performance knit. That way the posters were the precise size I wanted, using smaller/bigger on the spoon flower site. Was not exact.

The preview is exactly what you get. The thumbnails all seemed to be the lower left corner only.

Thanks, they're already resize with a 3 in boarder...Cool I guess I'm good to go.

Djoel
nickbuol likes this.

post #1599 of 1612 Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you to Nick it's been a slow process but without his help I would not been at this point!

Will post pics of the printed posters once they're in my hands.

Dan
nickbuol likes this.

post #1600 of 1612 Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You are most welcome.

I can't wait to see them.
Djoel likes this.

- Nick Buol

post #1601 of 1612 Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nick, I'm trying to find it but this thread has become huge, can you tell me again what most are making the frames out of? 1x4" ripped down to 3"? Also if I build them with pocket screws I can get by with square cutting them vs mitreing right?

Come see my Livin' the Dream build!

post #1602 of 1612 Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post
Nick, I'm trying to find it but this thread has become huge, can you tell me again what most are making the frames out of? 1x4" ripped down to 3"? Also if I build them with pocket screws I can get by with square cutting them vs mitreing right?
What I plan on doing is ripping plywood into 3" strips. Routing a round over on the front inside, and softening the outside edges with a sander. Since you won't see the joints I'm going to butt join with brads and screws. No point in messing with miters. Countersink everything and you shouldn't be able to tell what joint you used.
post #1603 of 1612 Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

rprice is right on the mark with not mitre cutting them. You won't see the corner anyway.

I actually did the opposite with the "round over" and sanding. I lightly sanded the inside edge, and then did an outside 45* bevel cut. Looks pretty sharp, but you could also just lightly sand the inside and outside, or actually any visible edges too. It will still look nice.

I used 1x4 material for my side panels. I was going to rip them down, but then opted to just leave them as is and since it is actually .75" x 3.5", it is pretty light, still rigid, and gives me a natural 1.5" air gap behind my 2" acoustical insulation to boost performance.

Assembly can be screws if you want, but you will get better results with good ol' wood glue and brad nails from a small nail gun if possible. The glue will be stronger than anything, and gluing and brad nailing will go a lot faster than drilling pilot holes to prevent wood splitting, adding counter sinks (for those not using pocket screws), and then putting in the screws.

I was going to go with plywood too until I realized that it was going to be a lot of work to rip nice and clean strips and have to man-handle the sheet (even if you cut the sheet down). Not many people are doing plywood, but it should be able to be done successfully, just was more work than I wanted to do, and I get the benefit of the built in air-gap using the 1x4s.

- Nick Buol

Last edited by nickbuol; 09-18-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #1604 of 1612 Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post
I bought the 1X4 poplar from Menards - about $8.00 for 8'. Nice straight sanded wood, didn't do any prep - used them as is. Also used Nick's idea of little metal "L" brackets in each corner, that held them without clamping. Air-nailed with glue - they went togethor quick and easy.
nickbuol and dgage like this.
post #1605 of 1612 Old 09-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just jumping back into this fray as my buddies home theater is finaly off the ground and moving quickly ahead. Looking to see if anyone in Canada has come across the Rockboard 60 or he like or what other solutions you've come up with. Getting ready to order the fabric and want the frames ready to go when it arrives.
post #1606 of 1612 Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post
Just jumping back into this fray as my buddies home theater is finaly off the ground and moving quickly ahead. Looking to see if anyone in Canada has come across the Rockboard 60 or he like or what other solutions you've come up with. Getting ready to order the fabric and want the frames ready to go when it arrives.
I used safe and sound from Rona, like most will say I would only use it for single panels, if I was making posters to be so big that I needed multiples, I would use comfort board (not to be confused with comfortbatt which is much softer)
post #1607 of 1612 Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My SF prints came last week. I ordered 26. Aug and they arrived 16. Sept in Norway. The printing was done within the first 4 days, I belive. I had to pay toll and tax, so that added about 50% to the cost. :s

They look great, but I haven't had time to mount them yet. After being in shipping for so long, the creases are not coming out by just stretching, so I think I will steam or gently iron them a bit before mounting.

A little tip: the Spoonflower upload page did not support my 7 yard long 150dpi image file, so I had to separate the order in two.

7.2 Genelec 8240A, 8040A, 8030A, XTZ 12.16
Onkyo 809, Epson TW9000, 120" TabTension
post #1608 of 1612 Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoutician84 View Post
My SF prints came last week. I ordered 26. Aug and they arrived 16. Sept in Norway. The printing was done within the first 4 days, I belive. I had to pay toll and tax, so that added about 50% to the cost. :s

They look great, but I haven't had time to mount them yet. After being in shipping for so long, the creases are not coming out by just stretching, so I think I will steam or gently iron them a bit before mounting.

A little tip: the Spoonflower upload page did not support my 7 yard long 150dpi image file, so I had to separate the order in two.
Glad that they made it. Yeah, that was Soupy that always said that you could just "stretch them out." Another comment that he made to try to encourage more people to use SF. That is why I mentioned the steaming, or fabric releaser spray (he later mentioned the spray as well, to be fair).

Can't wait to see pictures.

- Nick Buol

post #1609 of 1612 Old Today, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone used one of the spoonflower materials for speaker grills? Curious because I need to make some speaker grills to cover some "hidden" speakers but in a specific color. Wondering which are acoustically transparent and give the best color match to the submitted file/image.
post #1610 of 1612 Old Today, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post
Has anyone used one of the spoonflower materials for speaker grills? Curious because I need to make some speaker grills to cover some "hidden" speakers but in a specific color. Wondering which are acoustically transparent and give the best color match to the submitted file/image.
The material has already been acoustically tested with favorable results. I see absoutley problem with using it as speaker grill cloth... Maybe a slight attenuation at the upper end of the FR, but nothing that I'd consider a deal breaker.

I was planning using a subtle print for a subwoofer grill cloth myself. I say do it!

post #1611 of 1612 Old Today, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoutician84 View Post

Glad they made it to you in relatively short time, I have a friend in Spain who I just recommended SF for her photo work, and designing projects.

Also I would not put a direct iron on the fabric, either iron it on the reverse side or put a paper towel to avoid any mishaps.

So I guess SF does not put their fabric on a roll? That would prevent the creasing and fold mark issues. Something that didn't really surface for me from reading about the crease situations, well I'll be reporting on their condition pretty soon as the tracking information says delivered.

Djoel

post #1612 of 1612 Old Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

OK just arrived to work and the first thing I notice was a bag in my desk...The guys in the mailroom are up and running, so I open the package, and the colors are vibrant and sharp on the silky faille, which really isn't silk as far as I can tell, or faille which I work with in my every day job. Who cares, it looks awesome.

The first poster Vertigo looks amazing ready to be framed,"Orange and blacks are popping! the next Finding Nemo, WAIT! Where's the black boarder????? Lolita, the same Inception the same, Reservoir Dogs the same, The Nightmare Before Xmas the same

One came out with the black boarders, why the rest just have side boarders??? I made sure I delete the original files to prevent any mishaps.
So now I'm thinking can I work with these, without the top black boarders! Or redo these, with will double up cost.

Damn, damn..

Djoel

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page