AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Yep!
Look at you! The padawan is becoming the master! Haha. Seriously, you've come a long way in a short time. Kudos!
ambesolman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1754 Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Look at you! The padawan is becoming the master! Haha. Seriously, you've come a long way in a short time. Kudos!
I feel the same way about so many people in this thread. I seriously thought about unsubscribing since I've shared every ounce of information that I could already, and the requests for Photoshop work has died down. The problem is that I look forward to seeing what people are doing with their panels, so I stick around... Even if you guys don't need me anymore.
post #1743 of 1754 Old 11-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I feel the same way about so many people in this thread. I seriously thought about unsubscribing since I've shared every ounce of information that I could already, and the requests for Photoshop work has died down. The problem is that I look forward to seeing what people are doing with their panels, so I stick around... Even if you guys don't need me anymore.

Nick I'll be hitting you up at some point to help with photo shop.. I'll be starting my build soon and hope to be done by spring.. I have a question about size.. Is there an ideal size? Or just limited to the size of the fabric?
post #1744 of 1754 Old 11-17-2014, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Sounds like your after some work. Can I send you some images if you don't mind.

I'm after some Star Wars posters and some other images as well.

Have to keep you around.

Last edited by blish2; 11-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.
post #1745 of 1754 Old 11-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just a note here about the size. 48x32 is a nice big size, but you also need about 4" of border all around to wrap around the frame and have enough to staple to the back. Each 48x32 image will take 56x40 of fabric. Performance knit is 56" wide (Silky Faille is 54" wide) so you just fit into 56" for the one dimension, but the 40" is 6" too much to fit into 1 single yard. You can get creative and put multiple images together all with the 56" width and then start using more "yards" of material.

For example, 2 images with borders will be 56" x 80". Three will be 56" x 120". Four would be 56" x 160". If you did a group of 4 images stitched together, you could fit it into 5 yards of fabric and only have 20" of wasted material (instead of doing each image on to 2 yards and wasting 30" for each one).

You basically put the images together with a border, then I recommend putting a 1 pixel white "line" in between each one so that you can see where to cut then the fabric comes. Put them all side-by-side, and then rotate the image 90 degrees (so that you have to tilt your head sideways to see the images). This will give you the 56" WIDE and 160" TALL image that Spoonflower needs (Their "width" is actually what we generally use for our "height.")

Hopefully that makes sense.

If not, let me know and I cann help you out. I've done a lot of Photoshop work for people in their thread and don't charge for my services as a way to contribute to the forums.
If I get into a jam I may have to take you up on this offer. I decided I am going to make the frames smaller now after taking some measurements. I am leaning on a 36"x 24" image now. My ceiling is only 6'8" high so having 4 ft of picture going up and down may look a bit funny I think...
post #1746 of 1754 Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

36x24 is a more common size that people use, and the dimensions work well for most poster images.
post #1747 of 1754 Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just ordered my posters...and I'm really excited. I got 5 which will end up being 27x40, and then one big panoramic that will be about 13 feet wide and 26 inches tall.

One of the graphics guys at my office made them for me. The movie posters started out as posters from MoviePosterDB.com (with the exception of Hulk), but we had to do some minimal removing of text, etc...

The total for all 6 posters including rush delivery was $311. Trying to get them up for a party I'm having on 11/26, so I'll get the frames built this weekend and hopefully install them on the frames when they show up Monday!

EDIT: Won't let me upload the files. I'll have to save smaller versions and upload them or something.
post #1748 of 1754 Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Maximum file size in 40MB per file....
post #1749 of 1754 Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Maximum file size in 40MB per file....
Spoonflower let me upload them...it's this site that won't let me upload them.
post #1750 of 1754 Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. I am not at a computer, but there is some sort of limit in size for sure here. I just can't say what it is until I get in front of a computer.
post #1751 of 1754 Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I have a Photoshop request for you Nick. But, first I need to tap yours and others' expertise with a few questions:

I'm a couple weeks (hopefully) away from starting the acoustic panels for my build. Will be doing fabric frames for most walls. On the back wall, we want to have a large acoustic panel with a graphic - borrowing from the concept used in this theater from Houzz:

We've narrowed our images down to two images of beaches in Jamaica at sunset. Here are two pics of my rear wall mocked up with the images:

Option 1:

Option 2:

Question 1:
The two images are available from a stock photo site. The first image is 146.6Mb 25.5"x21.5" (300 dpi). The second image is 28.7Mb and 12.9"x8.6" (300dpi). I believe the Spoonflower size limit is 40Mb so the 146.6Mb image is plenty big.

Should I be concerned about the 28.7Mb image being grainy if I want to enlarge to 54" wide and 57" tall (visible area)?

Question 2:
I'm leaning towards Silky Faille which I know has a 54" printable area. So, I'd probably need to have a 4" of additional material (probably GOM) added to the Silky Faille so I have something to wrap around the 2" deep wood frame.

Any other major issues with printing an image that large or adding fabric as a border?

Question 3:
Another option that I'm considering would extend the image to the door. Something like this:

The fabric from Spoonflower would have to be just shy of 3 yards wide with the same height (57"). Within the 40Mb limit, would that image look really bad if enlarged to those dimensions?

Question 4 (The most important question):
Once I figure all of this out, can you help me create the file for Spoonflower? Please.

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
post #1752 of 1754 Old 11-21-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Answer to question 4 is yes.

Question 1: I would still lean towards the really large file if possible. It will have a lot more data in it that can be compressed down to 40MB vs having Photoshop "make stuff up" to extend the other one. The smaller one still seems like it has some good information based off of the file size and such, but it is rare that we get the option to "shrink" something down.

Question 2: How do you plan to add the GOM (or whatever) to the SF to make it bigger?
post #1753 of 1754 Old 11-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Answer to question 4 is yes.

Question 1: I would still lean towards the really large file if possible. It will have a lot more data in it that can be compressed down to 40MB vs having Photoshop "make stuff up" to extend the other one. The smaller one still seems like it has some good information based off of the file size and such, but it is rare that we get the option to "shrink" something down.

Question 2: How do you plan to add the GOM (or whatever) to the SF to make it bigger?
First, Thanks for helping!!

The larger file has more votes so far, but my wife has veto power and she hasn't made up her mind yet.

My mom is visiting from FL for the next 3 weeks, hoping she can work some sewing machine magic for me. Otherwise, would have to find an upholstery shop. Any red flags with sewing a border on the silky faile?

What is the best way to send you the huge file?

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
post #1754 of 1754 Old 11-22-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Most people don't have files THAT large. Might be worth seeing if photobucket can handle a file that big and then send me a link. Otherwise, I could always set up a limited access FTP account to my web space and have you FTP it to me. Let me know if you find a way to store it elsewhere, otherwise I will do the FTP setup.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page