DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 277Likes

post #1801 of 2023 Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Maybe try rotating 90 degrees before uploading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Correct. Regular horizontal posters should be uploaded so that they are horizontal (sideways in this case)...

Will give it a try...seems logical and kind of like a "duh" moment for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2023 Old 12-19-2014, 05:32 PM

yes that's better for the layout, but it seems the images that I have are not good enough for the size it seems. I can get close at a 30"x48", but my frame 2'x4' so I need extra. Sorry I am a noob when it comes to images...but is there something I can do with these current images?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-19-2014 5-30-31 PM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	431673  
post #1803 of 2023 Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Finished my second one tonight, this is the last printed one I am making right now. Next ones will be solid colors. Thanks again to Nick for formatting the pictures for me =)

nickbuol, dgage and Archaea like this.

Last edited by grendelrt; 12-19-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #1804 of 2023 Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrog View Post
yes that's better for the layout, but it seems the images that I have are not good enough for the size it seems. I can get close at a 30"x48", but my frame 2'x4' so I need extra. Sorry I am a noob when it comes to images...but is there something I can do with these current images?
You need the images resized, and cropped for your desired size, plus you should add a border to wrap around whatever frame unless you want to use the "unprinted" white.

Most posters, ok pretty much ALL posters, are closer to 3' x 2' for their dimensions. Taking a regular poster type image and making it fit into a 4' height while keeping the 2' width would mean cropping a lot of the sides off. That can be pretty cool for things like your poster with the Joker in the middle, but words at the bottom might get cropped out too.

Editing the photo to match your size needs, adding a border, etc are all things that I can do. I just received 3 requests today for a total of 24 posters to work on, but if you only have a couple that you need, I could add them to the mix. That will probably be all that I can do until several days after Christmas. Just too much going on, and since I don't charge anything to do it, I feel that is reasonable. Shoot me a PM if you want me to work them up for you.
post #1805 of 2023 Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Can these my images be resized? Any help is much appreciated
post #1806 of 2023 Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Edit: Disregard my previous post as I misinterpreted the problem you are having.

It sounds like you need to do some photo-editing of the picture to get it to the right dimensions first, as Nick suggested - and Nick is the man for that!
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by Firepr00f; 12-20-2014 at 09:24 AM.
post #1807 of 2023 Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can these my images be resized? Any help is much appreciated
Your PM has been responded to...
post #1808 of 2023 Old 12-20-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

10 posters (some pretty large) are done for chadwick537. Had to do some "adding" of imagery and tweaking to get things to be a little more cohesive, but they should be pretty awesome. I love doing posters and images that are all "themed" together. Should make for a killer room.
post #1809 of 2023 Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Finished the big one that is in the middle back of the room. Dont mind the mess, room is still in constant flux hehe.

Looks small in this picture ha
post #1810 of 2023 Old 12-23-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Finished the big one that is in the middle back of the room. Dont mind the mess, room is still in constant flux hehe.

Looks small in this picture ha

YES!!!!!!!! Another person using their back wall, and applying treatments! Good job!
post #1811 of 2023 Old 12-23-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What are you guys using the hang the larger sized frames? I will be using a 4" thick frame.
post #1812 of 2023 Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
What are you guys using the hang the larger sized frames? I will be using a 4" thick frame.

Mine is perched on a couple of nails.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419382933.138517.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	438058

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1813 of 2023 Old 12-24-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have mine perched on 2 hooks with drywall anchors (those plastic ones that you screw into the wall and then any screw can go into it... Not the cheap ones). Why hooks? Because then if a panel isn't 100% level, I can just turn one of the hooks how ever much is needed to level it out. The hook itself just acts the same as the head of a nail, and the frame rests on it. It doesn't actually "hook" on to anything.
post #1814 of 2023 Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well done!!!! they look great!
post #1815 of 2023 Old 12-27-2014, 09:51 AM

2 Questions.

Is the Silky Faille material from Spoonflower OK to Iron? Or what other alternatives do I have to get rid of the wrinkles?

I will be making 4" thick frames. What would be the recommended type of wood to use for this? I was thinking some finished plywood and routing an edge or using 1/4 round on the the face of it? I will be using 2" thick OC703 insulation.
post #1816 of 2023 Old 12-27-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You can try to iron it. I would be cautious with the temp setting. Get the wrinkles damp first of course. It should be sturdy enough to handle a little bit of iron.

Others have tried wrinkle release spray with good success. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE WASH! You run the risk of shrinkage and possibly dulling the colors.

If you can rip the plywood mice and straight, that would be a good options. Doing a round-over isn't required, but can look nice. I would put the round-over on the inside to hide where the frame ends so that you don't get a sharp edge 1/2-3/4 inch in from the edge. Then you would have a nice crisp edge on the outside. I didn't do this, but I wasn't doing movie posters, so I put a bevel on the outside and lightly hand sanded the inside to just take the edge off of it.

I also often recommend getting 1x4 poplar or other straight wood. That yield a .75" x 3.5" frame, but is super easy for people that can't do a rip of wood. If you have the tools and ability to rip, then you will get a nice 4" thick frame.
post #1817 of 2023 Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
You can try to iron it. I would be cautious with the temp setting. Get the wrinkles damp first of course. It should be sturdy enough to handle a little bit of iron.

Others have tried wrinkle release spray with good success. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE WASH! You run the risk of shrinkage and possibly dulling the colors.

If you can rip the plywood mice and straight, that would be a good options. Doing a round-over isn't required, but can look nice. I would put the round-over on the inside to hide where the frame ends so that you don't get a sharp edge 1/2-3/4 inch in from the edge. Then you would have a nice crisp edge on the outside. I didn't do this, but I wasn't doing movie posters, so I put a bevel on the outside and lightly hand sanded the inside to just take the edge off of it.

I also often recommend getting 1x4 poplar or other straight wood. That yield a .75" x 3.5" frame, but is super easy for people that can't do a rip of wood. If you have the tools and ability to rip, then you will get a nice 4" thick frame.
Thanks for the info. I ended up getting some 1x4 Pine boards and they worked out great. My girlfriend surprised me with 4 36x24 prints as Christmas gifts. I am still waiting for the Dark Knight picture you did for me to arrive from spoonflower for the rear of the room. I had some time today so I got some frames made. I am still waiting for my OC703 to show up. I had my girlfriend iron them for me and they all came out great.

Boomassiv likes this.
post #1818 of 2023 Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Those look great Juiced!

Mine aren't quite finished yet - but I did get all the cloth stapled. Whew. I love the way they turned out and the family loves them too!! Can't wait to get the room finished! I'm so close!

nickbuol and Juiced46 like this.
post #1819 of 2023 Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just discovered this great thread as I'm nearing the acoustic treatment for my room. My ceilings will be black and walls will be Dark Gray/Slate.

Thinking of getting Black & White acoustical panels of skylines of different cities. See attachment. Will buy them from sites such as shutterstock etc. I have only gone through a few pages till now but the info is amazing. Nick seems to be the bigmouthinDC of Acoustical treatments

Has any forum member done B&W skyline posters for there theater?

I'm going to have the frames made by a contractor who will come to do some closet shelves. The piece I need help with is photoshop/printing/fabric selection etc. Is "silky faille" the only fabric option or can we print in GOM (Guillford of Maine) fabric also? How much would one 2X4 poster cost to print at spoonflower?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NYC.png
Views:	74
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	449034  
post #1820 of 2023 Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Been following this thread for a while and finally jumped in to start my project. My home theater is in my finished basement. Not configured ideally since it's not a dedicated room, so I'm doing my best to tame the sound.

I'm making 9 panels. Three with 1x6's and 4" of insulation for behind my listening position, and six with 1x4's and 2" of insulation. Each will be 28"x42" - kind of a strange size but I wanted to make them as large as practical without them looking too big for the walls.

I made the frames a few days ago. I'm no carpenter by a long shot, but they came out OK (photo attached). And the fabric from Spoonflower arrived today.

I had the posters printed on Performance Knit and am very happy with the black level, color saturation and resolution (photos attached). Because I had to take the photos at an angle with a flash, the bottom of the photos make the colors (especially the blacks) appear washed out, but that's just an artifact of the way I had to take the photos. When they are finished I will be able to get better photos.

The one thing that I'm a bit disappointed with is the stretchy nature of the fabric. I know that people in this thread have talked about the fact that this fabric stretched the most, but I didn't expect it to be this stretchy. I'm a bit concerned that when I go to attach these to the frames that I'm not going to be able to avoid distorting the posters due to stretching too much. I guess I'll see soon enough. I'm still waiting for the insulation to arrive.

The photos might look a bit strange because I added seven inches on each side for a gallery wrap on the frames. I used Perfect Resize 9 to resize the posters for printing and there is an option to create a gallery wrap that stretches the edge of the image. I think it's going to look good. You can actually see the lines in the Rio poster, and the top of Captain America's head looks strange. But all of the strange things on the edges will be on the sides and back of the frames.

Can't wait to get these finished!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	449130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 9.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	449138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 8.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	449146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	449154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 6.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	449162  

Name:	Movie 5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	449170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	449178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	449186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	449194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	449202  

post #1821 of 2023 Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Just discovered this great thread as I'm nearing the acoustic treatment for my room. My ceilings will be black and walls will be Dark Gray/Slate.

Thinking of getting Black & White acoustical panels of skylines of different cities. See attachment. Will buy them from sites such as shutterstock etc. I have only gone through a few pages till now but the info is amazing. Nick seems to be the bigmouthinDC of Acoustical treatments

Has any forum member done B&W skyline posters for there theater?

I'm going to have the frames made by a contractor who will come to do some closet shelves. The piece I need help with is photoshop/printing/fabric selection etc. Is "silky faille" the only fabric option or can we print in GOM (Guillford of Maine) fabric also? How much would one 2X4 poster cost to print at spoonflower?
Just a couple of quick responses... First, thank you for the comparison to bigmouth. That is QUITE the compliment. I am blushing...

I have not seen black and white skyline images, but I think that would look pretty great in a theater with the dark gray/slate walls. Monochromatic themes can look really sharp and crisp (in a good way).

You can't print on GOM fabric. Even if it was possible, the end result would be terrible due to how "textured" that fabric is.

The best 2 options are Performance Knit and Silky Faille. I have done numerous comparisons of the two and voiced my results as unbiasedly as possible. Both will yield excellent results, and without rehashing everything:
PK has the most accurate color reproduction.
PK has arguably slightly darker blacks.
PK is WAY more acoustically transparent.
PK can stretch a lot (can be good or bad).
PK wrinkles come out easily (due to being able to be stretched).

SF is more rigid of a material (doesn't stretch as much)
SF to some actually fails the "blow" test for acoustical transparency.
SF takes more work, or ironing, or spraying with wrinkle release spray to remove the creases from shipping.

With all of that said, they still both work well. I wanted the most accurate colors since I was color matching other things in my room with my custom artwork for the posters, so I needed accuracy there. I also wanted the best acoustical performance, but mic tests still show that SF works well for this, just not as well as PK. This is probably not even noticeable without some way to A/B test and use a microphone. The wrinkles from shipping still can be removed with a little bit of time and patience. So why do some people pick what would seem to be the poorer fabric (Silky Faille) over Performance Knit? The stretch scares people. It IS easier to line up text with SF to make it straight the first time. However, if it is crooked, you will most likely have to remove a good number of staples and start over. With PK, you have to take extra time with the stapling, but if something is a little off, give it a "tiny" extra pull where you need it, and add another staple. Bam, done...

Either way, an extra set of hands comes in handy with either of these, and people have GREAT success with both, and that is what is important.
post #1822 of 2023 Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
Been following this thread for a while and finally jumped in to start my project. My home theater is in my finished basement. Not configured ideally since it's not a dedicated room, so I'm doing my best to tame the sound.

I'm making 9 panels. Three with 1x6's and 4" of insulation for behind my listening position, and six with 1x4's and 2" of insulation. Each will be 28"x42" - kind of a strange size but I wanted to make them as large as practical without them looking too big for the walls.

I made the frames a few days ago. I'm no carpenter by a long shot, but they came out OK (photo attached). And the fabric from Spoonflower arrived today.

I had the posters printed on Performance Knit and am very happy with the black level, color saturation and resolution (photos attached). Because I had to take the photos at an angle with a flash, the bottom of the photos make the colors (especially the blacks) appear washed out, but that's just an artifact of the way I had to take the photos. When they are finished I will be able to get better photos.

The one thing that I'm a bit disappointed with is the stretchy nature of the fabric. I know that people in this thread have talked about the fact that this fabric stretched the most, but I didn't expect it to be this stretchy. I'm a bit concerned that when I go to attach these to the frames that I'm not going to be able to avoid distorting the posters due to stretching too much. I guess I'll see soon enough. I'm still waiting for the insulation to arrive.

The photos might look a bit strange because I added seven inches on each side for a gallery wrap on the frames. I used Perfect Resize 9 to resize the posters for printing and there is an option to create a gallery wrap that stretches the edge of the image. I think it's going to look good. You can actually see the lines in the Rio poster, and the top of Captain America's head looks strange. But all of the strange things on the edges will be on the sides and back of the frames.

Can't wait to get these finished!
That gallery wrap option around the sides of the frame is an interesting option. Can't wait to see it when it is done. Too bad about the lines on Rio, but maybe they will just look like the poster edge, and it will give you a guide for where to line up the image for the front of the frame.
post #1823 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That gallery wrap option around the sides of the frame is an interesting option. Can't wait to see it when it is done. Too bad about the lines on Rio, but maybe they will just look like the poster edge, and it will give you a guide for where to line up the image for the front of the frame.
Yup, I'm hoping the lines on Rio line up with the edges of the frame. But if not, it will probably still be OK. I'll just make sure to hang that one in a low traffic area where the sides of the frame won't be seen too often.

Last edited by pmd918; 12-30-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #1824 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Is there a summary post in this thread of what to order, what resolution is appropriate etc? Perhaps a link to some images that are already compiled that people might like to use for their own posters?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #1825 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Though my only panel was done with SF, I attempted to use a large 1" diameter dowel to evenly stretch the material when stapling. Since the SF doesn't really stretch, it wasn't any help because I had to grunt and pull to get it lined up right. A slightly smaller frame would've made it easier.
But since the PK stretches so much, the extra material rolled onto a dowel/rod/pipe should help provide a more even stretch over a large area. That's my theory anyway, ymmv. If anyone uses this method, please let us know if it works or not

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1826 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is there a summary post in this thread of what to order, what resolution is appropriate etc? Perhaps a link to some images that are already compiled that people might like to use for their own posters?
I did my images at 150 dpi and they came out great. So for the typical 24"x36" size that people make, you need an image at 3600x5400.

In my case, most of my original images were downloaded at ~3350x5000 so very little scaling was required. My lowest resolution image was my Rio 2 poster which was 2000x 3000 and it scaled well. Letters were not quite as crisp, but still acceptable. But keep in mind that my posters were larger than typical at 28"x42", so I had to scale to 4200x6300.

So short story is 150 dpi, and I wouldn't recommend scaling more than 2x. You could probably get away with scaling more, but I'm picky about image quality.
Archaea likes this.
post #1827 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Just a couple of quick responses... First, thank you for the comparison to bigmouth. That is QUITE the compliment. I am blushing...

I have not seen black and white skyline images, but I think that would look pretty great in a theater with the dark gray/slate walls. Monochromatic themes can look really sharp and crisp (in a good way).

You can't print on GOM fabric. Even if it was possible, the end result would be terrible due to how "textured" that fabric is.

The best 2 options are Performance Knit and Silky Faille. I have done numerous comparisons of the two and voiced my results as unbiasedly as possible. Both will yield excellent results, and without rehashing everything:
PK has the most accurate color reproduction.
PK has arguably slightly darker blacks.
PK is WAY more acoustically transparent.
PK can stretch a lot (can be good or bad).
PK wrinkles come out easily (due to being able to be stretched).

SF is more rigid of a material (doesn't stretch as much)
SF to some actually fails the "blow" test for acoustical transparency.
SF takes more work, or ironing, or spraying with wrinkle release spray to remove the creases from shipping.

With all of that said, they still both work well. I wanted the most accurate colors since I was color matching other things in my room with my custom artwork for the posters, so I needed accuracy there. I also wanted the best acoustical performance, but mic tests still show that SF works well for this, just not as well as PK. This is probably not even noticeable without some way to A/B test and use a microphone. The wrinkles from shipping still can be removed with a little bit of time and patience. So why do some people pick what would seem to be the poorer fabric (Silky Faille) over Performance Knit? The stretch scares people. It IS easier to line up text with SF to make it straight the first time. However, if it is crooked, you will most likely have to remove a good number of staples and start over. With PK, you have to take extra time with the stapling, but if something is a little off, give it a "tiny" extra pull where you need it, and add another staple. Bam, done...

Either way, an extra set of hands comes in handy with either of these, and people have GREAT success with both, and that is what is important.
I'll go with PK, might need your help to make sure the pictures that I select have the same tone/color etc.

Do you recommend the Corning 703 insulation or the Knauf?

Thx a lot!!
post #1828 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
+1. This!!
post #1829 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I'll go with PK, might need your help to make sure the pictures that I select have the same tone/color etc.

Do you recommend the Corning 703 insulation or the Knauf?

Thx a lot!!
I used OC703, but just because it was "tried and true." There are other great choices like the Knauf ECOSE, Roxul Rockboard 60, even Roxul Safe N Sound works well and may be found locally in some areas at places like Lowes.
post #1830 of 2023 Old 12-30-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've put so much information into this thread, and have rehashed summaries several times, but even I never kept track of which posts they were.

Others have just recently posted information about resolutions to target, and I just recently posted the pros/cons of Performance Knit vs. Silky Faille. One thing that I didn't mention is that PK is 56" wide and SF is 54" wide.

Maybe someday I will get around to a list of the key posts as they currently exist with all of the tests and data, but that will be quite the undertaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction