DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 64 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #1891 of 1902 Old 01-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Can these screws/cleats go in drywall, the studs won't be there at the right spot for sure.
Yes, that's one of the nice things about using them. Those wall dog screws work well and eliminate the need to use drywall anchors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1902 Old 01-15-2015, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Can these screws/cleats go in drywall, the studs won't be there at the right spot for sure.
Yes. It comes with drywall screws and is supposed to hold up to 60 lbs. The finished panels are much less than that.
post #1893 of 1902 Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 983
I can't find a high resolution image of that King Kong three piece set, so I guess I'll go another direction.

These are the three images I'm thinking about doing, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has a cooler idea in this theme. I'm thinking I'd like textless images, so as not to specify a particular movie in a series, but rather a series of movies I enjoyed. I like the idea of shadows or silhouette theme.

I'd like the colors to be of the same general color pallete. Perhaps a filter can be applied to make that happen? And the text removed, or cropped off if possible.
Maybe a shadow, or effect of the LOTR eye added on the LOTR poster to give it a bit more similar color cadence??
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ye&FORM=HDRSC2

Your thoughts @nickbuol ? And would you consider helping me get the images set correctly for panels based on these three images, since I have no photoshop software, nor associated skills.

I might like this batman picture for the left wall in a smaller size
http://www.wallpaperfo.com/Movie/Mov...load_2560x1600

Here are some cool star wars posters - though I doubt you'll find a high res image
http://gadgetsin.com/the-silhouette-...poster-set.htm

Thinking the three graphics on the right wall here:

and the Dark Knight on the left wall, or door?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	three.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	482090   Click image for larger version

Name:	batman%20dark%20movies%20silhouette%201600x1200%20wallpaper_www_wallpaperfo_com_47.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	482114  

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 01-16-2015 at 11:58 AM.
post #1894 of 1902 Old 01-16-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can't find a high resolution image of that King Kong three piece set, so I guess I'll go another direction.

These are the three images I'm thinking about doing, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has a cooler idea in this theme. I'm thinking I'd like textless images, so as not to specify a particular movie in a series, but rather a series of movies I enjoyed. I like the idea of shadows or silhouette theme.

I'd like the colors to be of the same general color pallete. Perhaps a filter can be applied to make that happen? And the text removed, or cropped off if possible.
Maybe a shadow, or effect of the LOTR eye added on the LOTR poster to give it a bit more similar color cadence??
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ye&FORM=HDRSC2

Your thoughts @nickbuol ? And would you consider helping me get the images set correctly for panels based on these three images, since I have no photoshop software, nor associated skills.

I might like this batman picture for the left wall in a smaller size
http://www.wallpaperfo.com/Movie/Mov...load_2560x1600

Here are some cool star wars posters - though I doubt you'll find a high res image
http://gadgetsin.com/the-silhouette-...poster-set.htm

Thinking the three graphics on the right wall here:

and the Dark Knight on the left wall, or door?

What you are asking can all be done. The trick with the first 3 (Star Wars, Indiana, LOTR) is that they use those particular color pallets for a reason. Making SW more orange would take away from the hot sand look. Making Indiana look more muted like the SW sand will take away from the "sunset" look, and so forth. Words in those posters are super easy to remove without having to just crop them out and without just "copy/pasting" something over it. I can make it look like the words were never there.

Adding a Sauron eye is pretty easy though. That Dark Knight image is a nice choice too.

I am checking on the final Star Wars images at the bottom. The nice thing about those is that due to their style as not being a super sharp image and not being more than a few colors, they should actually be able to be expanded a little, however they are so small that they would be small posters at best (about half the size of something else at *maybe* 12" x 18" tops). I would love higher resolution than what was at the site.

I am willing to help, however I am booked up through the long weekend. If you can wait until Tuesday for me to start, shoot me a PM and I will get you my email and we can move from there.
post #1895 of 1902 Old 01-16-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Thank you Nick,

Maybe I need to keep thinking on this a bit longer, as these simple designs rock too!

http://www.dailyinspiration.nl/beaut...ign-by-marcus/

He has an account on Etsy, with a contact button - so I might reach out to him too to see if he'd consider having me pay him to print his image at spoon flower or something.

He has quite a few neat posters images! Jurrasic Park, Kratos, Star Wars, Marvel/DC heroes. Very cool stuff!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Posterinspired?page=2

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #1896 of 1902 Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Thank you Nick,

Maybe I need to keep thinking on this a bit longer, as these simple designs rock too!

http://www.dailyinspiration.nl/beaut...ign-by-marcus/

He has an account on Etsy, with a contact button - so I might reach out to him too to see if he'd consider having me pay him to print his image at spoon flower or something.

He has quite a few neat posters images! Jurrasic Park, Kratos, Star Wars, Marvel/DC heroes. Very cool stuff!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Posterinspired?page=2

These are fantastic designs...all are similar yet unique...nice find.
Archaea likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #1897 of 1902 Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Want to hear something funny? Those batman, hulk, spiderman (and MANY others) are actually just a downloadable font put at some crazy large size, put against a "papyrus" type background, and then the character name at the bottom.

I know because I saw images like that online and this past summer I made t-shirts for my family for one of the days that we went to Universal Studios in Florida. I did all sorts of color effects, etc, and even an overlay for each character like he did with the hulk one with a "clear" Bruce Banner in front of a black Hulk.

Captain America font set is called Super Soldier
There is a set of X-Men ones called X-Fighters
Avengers one called Heroes Assemble
Heroez for more heroes.
Galaxy Far Far Away, Forced Reentry, and StarWars Kit for Star Wars
and so on.

I would be reluctant to have him print them at Spoonflower. You need the exact right size, and a border, and the image rotated, etc. Not that it is complex, but there is a chance for failure and you will have to probably pay for him to do it. You would be better off asking for higher resolution images and if you had to pay for those at least you could do whatever you wanted with them.

Just my thoughts, but the guy has to be willing to help either way.
dgage and Archaea like this.
post #1898 of 1902 Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I posted this in another thread today for my velvet wall coverings and figured I would post it here as well since it is pertinent.

"Oh and going back to the discussion on adding fire retardant to your wall fabrics. I used some today, do not do it after the fabric has been stretched all ready. The fabric stretches further and does not revert back to its original shape after drying. I had to re stretch spots on the panel to get rid of the wrinkles. Definitely apply and let totally dry before attaching to a frame. Some may look at this post and say DUH but the difference was way more than i was thinking haha."
dgage likes this.
post #1899 of 1902 Old 01-23-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone help with Photoshop?

Hi, is anyone available to convert poster files in Photoshop? I would love to construct the DIY acoustic panels for our movie room, but unfortunately I do not have the software. I'd be more than happy to pay you for your time. I am looking for 3 24x36 and 3 27x40 movie posters, most likely on 2.5" profile stretcher bars.

BTW the movie posters are:

24x36 -

Return of Jedi
Godfather
Jaws

27x30

The English Patient
Saving Private Ryan
Top Gun

Thank you!
post #1900 of 1902 Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mku4440 View Post
Hi, is anyone available to convert poster files in Photoshop? I would love to construct the DIY acoustic panels for our movie room, but unfortunately I do not have the software. I'd be more than happy to pay you for your time. I am looking for 3 24x36 and 3 27x40 movie posters, most likely on 2.5" profile stretcher bars.

BTW the movie posters are:

24x36 -

Return of Jedi
Godfather
Jaws

27x30

The English Patient
Saving Private Ryan
Top Gun

Thank you!
I can help ya out. I've done almost 200 different posters now for people here. It is, however, almost 4:00am and I am tired. I should have been in bed hours ago. Send me a PM if you want my assistance and I will get you my email address.
post #1901 of 1902 Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I can help ya out. I've done almost 200 different posters now for people here. It is, however, almost 4:00am and I am tired. I should have been in bed hours ago. Send me a PM if you want my assistance and I will get you my email address.
Are you able to PM me? I do not have enough posts for the forum to allow me to send you one. Thanks for your reply.
post #1902 of 1902 Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there fellow Home Theatre enthusiasts. First time , Long time.

I have been trying to come to grips with the sheer volume of information in this thread over the last few months and to be honest its just to much for my poor brain. <insert head explosion here>

Im absolutely super pumped to be making up some panels for my home theatre. Basically im standing on the shoulders of giants. Didn't have the foggiest idea what i was doing but after reading this thread (sweet merciful lord there is alot to take in) i have decided to have a crack.

My first sample was a fair balls up, might i say myself. But that's half the fun i guess. There is a lot to take into consideration with respect to the DPI and size of the image.

Living in Australia does not help either. Its a 3 week turn around from ordering a piece of fabric to receiving it from the states.

But i would just like to thank the people that wonder this thread and help by answer the questions us mere mortals have. Your wisdom and knowledge is just crazy and reading some of your answers and how your responses are helpful without being disrespectful (not sure if thats the right word) is ace.

Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Duaneo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction