DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 65 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #1921 of 1950 Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Smile awesome

resources in this thread..
djhamp likes this.

Insert pithy comment here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1950 Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I know that people like pictures. Here is someone's room construction in progress that has a few panels that I helped with the graphics of, and they had printed at Spoonflower. The missing one in the back is where one of the fabric panels from Spoonflower needed to be reprinted due to an error at Spoonflower. Sounds like they are fixing it for free.

Those look amazing Nick!! The help you provide to everyone is unreal and so appreciated. I still love the posters in my theater room. I am still looking for a design to do on my back wall that I will need your help with..
post #1923 of 1950 Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry if this has been posted before but I haven't had a chance to go through this whole thread.

There is a TON of Hi Res "Textless" movie posters and photographs on these two sites. I suggest starting on the last post for both of these because they are long and old threads and some of the pictures are no longer liked from the earlier posts.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....s+movie+poster

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198179

At first I thought I would prefer the movie poster with the text, but after looking at a few of these I think making a panel out of them would make it look more like a picture and less of a poster.
post #1924 of 1950 Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post
Sorry if this has been posted before but I haven't had a chance to go through this whole thread.

There is a TON of Hi Res "Textless" movie posters and photographs on these two sites. I suggest starting on the last post for both of these because they are long and old threads and some of the pictures are no longer liked from the earlier posts.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....s+movie+poster

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198179

At first I thought I would prefer the movie poster with the text, but after looking at a few of these I think making a panel out of them would make it look more like a picture and less of a poster.
Yes, those have been posted before, but this thread has gotten so long that most people don't/can't read it all, so bringing up those links from time to time is very helpful.

Also, I got your PM. I will do some looking tonight.
post #1925 of 1950 Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the links. Found a bunch of the textless posters I've been looking for. Can anyone point me to an easy way to resize them and add multiple ones to a single file to make it easier to print them out at spoonflower? So far I can't seem to figure out a way to get them to print out at 24x36 with a 5 inch border without having to use 2 yards per print. I think if I get multiple images into a single file, then I won't have to use 2 yards for every single one, right? I don't have photoshop.

Last edited by rgswff3; 03-04-2015 at 06:43 PM.
post #1926 of 1950 Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anybody come across some good James Bond images?
I would like to do 5-6 full height Bond's in shooting or gun pose
Similar to this but not a caricature
What sort of resolution would be needed to pull full height (~6ft) off

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #1927 of 1950 Old 03-18-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
What sort of resolution would be needed to pull full height (~6ft) off
Spoonflower recommends 150dpi.

6' = 72 inches x 150 dpi = 10,800 pixels on the long edge.

So I suspect you'll need to upscale the highest resolution file you can find.
nickbuol likes this.
post #1928 of 1950 Old 04-08-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have been trying to find a Hi-Resolution photo of this image (or one very similar,i.e., with Star Wars printed on it, etc. would be fine)., something that could be used to make a roughly 29" High x 42" wide fabric poster. I have seen it referred to as a Star Wars Saga poster.

Anyone know where I can find a high enough resolution photo for that?

THanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a StarWarsCollageSmall.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	654665  
post #1929 of 1950 Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I have been trying to find a Hi-Resolution photo of this image (or one very similar,i.e., with Star Wars printed on it, etc. would be fine)., something that could be used to make a roughly 29" High x 42" wide fabric poster. I have seen it referred to as a Star Wars Saga poster.
<snip>
THanks!
http://simonz.co.hu/poster/ep123456/...ed-credits.jpg

Found via tineye.com
kmhvball likes this.
post #1930 of 1950 Old 04-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingm8 View Post
Thanks a lot! I had seen the simonz.co.hu website, but hadn't been able to find the right resolution.

Tineye.com looks pretty slick.. I tested a few others out, and works pretty easily.
post #1931 of 1950 Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgswff3 View Post
Thanks for the links. Found a bunch of the textless posters I've been looking for. Can anyone point me to an easy way to resize them and add multiple ones to a single file to make it easier to print them out at spoonflower? So far I can't seem to figure out a way to get them to print out at 24x36 with a 5 inch border without having to use 2 yards per print. I think if I get multiple images into a single file, then I won't have to use 2 yards for every single one, right? I don't have photoshop.
You can try Perfect Resize 9. There is a free 30-day trial last time I checked. If you like it, buy it. If not, 30 days ought to be plenty of time to do what you need to. I used it for my posters and the results were great.
post #1932 of 1950 Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

THanks!
I have a version at 5500x3750, but it has the text on it. If you want it, send me a PM and I can email it to you.
post #1933 of 1950 Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
fun idea!
post #1934 of 1950 Old 04-16-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been in New York and Dallas (where I currently am) this week for work. Hoping to get through some of the requests this weekend for the Photoshop work. Probably won't happen when I get home tomorrow (Friday) as I don't think that the family would be too happy about that right when I got home, but hopefully Saturday and Sunday I can get the 4 requests and 17 posters done that came in as requests this week.

Sometimes I wish that I had a more powerful travel laptop, instead of a small one (light and a handy size)... Then I could work on these from the hotels.
post #1935 of 1950 Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quick question for those in the "know."

The performance knit has a bit of stretch to it. I plan on doing the gallery wrap on my prints, but I was wondering if I should print about a 1/4" smaller than the frame I am wrapping.

This, in theory, would allow me to pull the fabric a bit more taught. Should I even bother with slighly undersizing it to allow for the stretch, or just size it correctly?
post #1936 of 1950 Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question for those in the "know."

The performance knit has a bit of stretch to it. I plan on doing the gallery wrap on my prints, but I was wondering if I should print about a 1/4" smaller than the frame I am wrapping.

This, in theory, would allow me to pull the fabric a bit more taught. Should I even bother with slighly undersizing it to allow for the stretch, or just size it correctly?
post #1937 of 1950 Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Most people just print them at the exact dimensions as it doesn't take much stretch at all to remove wrinkles in the PK fabric.

Sure, you could go a little smaller if you wanted to, but 1/4" is actually a lot. You will find that the images may warp just to get them to stretch enough, meaning more staples and more time to get things lined up.

I would say that if you wanted to try it, go 1/8" maximum to the height and width.
post #1938 of 1950 Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Most people just print them at the exact dimensions as it doesn't take much stretch at all to remove wrinkles in the PK fabric.

Sure, you could go a little smaller if you wanted to, but 1/4" is actually a lot. You will find that the images may warp just to get them to stretch enough, meaning more staples and more time to get things lined up.

I would say that if you wanted to try it, go 1/8" maximum to the height and width.
Outstanding. Thanks for the feedback Nick. This thread wouldn't be the same without you.

Very much appreciated.
dgage likes this.
post #1939 of 1950 Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words.

I still get a lot of Photoshop requests, but not a lot of conversation comes up in this thread, and I rarely get to see the end products.

I just finished up several hours worth of work above and beyond what I normally do for a guy. He has some good poster choices. Claims that he is going to pay me for the efforts, but we'll see. LOL I've had a number of people ask for a lot of editing in the past, or some crazy number of posters, and they don't realize how much time it can take to get things to look nice... I don't mind doing the free stuff, but my wife keeps questioning if I should be doing it for free because I spend several hours a night over several nights a week working on these, but I try to give back to the community... Some people just want stuff for free I guess. They figure that their time is worth more than mine I think.

We'll see how much longer I do this work. It is enjoyable for those that really appreciate it, but ends up being the people that want to go beyond the free services that are the least appreciative as a whole. Greedy buggers. LOL
Dave Vaughn, dgage, luisev and 2 others like this.
post #1940 of 1950 Old 04-25-2015, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Although I haven't actually selected an image nor have you worked on one for me, I totally appreciate the work that you have poured into this thread and the few posted end results were very nice indeed. Not sure if you recall, but I was looking to make a panel with artwork instead of a movie poster. My wife is still undecided on an image, so my bad for not following up with you... fingers crossed that you're still eager to help as I would surely post the end result so all could see.
nickbuol likes this.
post #1941 of 1950 Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have been in New York and Dallas (where I currently am) this week for work. Hoping to get through some of the requests this weekend for the Photoshop work. Probably won't happen when I get home tomorrow (Friday) as I don't think that the family would be too happy about that right when I got home, but hopefully Saturday and Sunday I can get the 4 requests and 17 posters done that came in as requests this week.

Sometimes I wish that I had a more powerful travel laptop, instead of a small one (light and a handy size)... Then I could work on these from the hotels.

Nick,
I don't have 15 posts so I cant send you a pm, can you send me an email address via pm?
thank you
post #1942 of 1950 Old 04-25-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

No worries louisev, and gjviii I just sent you a PM.
luisev likes this.
post #1943 of 1950 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just something that I wanted to share...

Even if you come to me for "free" services and you feel like you've annoyed me with all of the many (sometimes many, many, many) requests for tweaks and adjustments, searching for images, changing of sizes, etc... Even if it seems like you don't know exactly what you want before asking for several hours worth of work. Even it you have gone past the amount of time and effort that it takes to do posters that people actually pay me for....

If you don't have the tools or know how to use them, don't try to do this yourself. Just ask. If you catch me in a reasonable mood (which I am in most of the time), I may just help you out again... for free.

Here is a screenshot with an image that is blown up fairly large. These two examples started out as the same file. The one on the left was resized and worked on by someone who wasn't sure if he did a good enough job for Spoonflower and he asked me to work on this image (not sure how many times I've worked this image with different sizes, background colors, background textures (after having to remove the original background)) yet again.

I give him an absolute A for effort. Coming from not having the experience, tools, or practice, he did quite well. On the right is what it looks like when using some better tools and with a little more experience. Again, these image samples are zoomed in greater than the resizing, so printed the one on the right will look great. It is literally zoomed in to about 400% if not more of what Spoonflower uses, and crudely with just Windows Photo Viewer to show that nothing funny was going on.

What you don't see is that the background is more crisp in addition to the higher resolution words (Elvish LOTR text), and better color of the words vs. the desaturated background.

The point of this is not to make fun of someone or to try to say that I have some amazing skill. There are people WAY more talented at this than me, just that I have a good set of tools and have used them for many years, and I would much rather have someone ask me to make this better than to have them deal with a mediocre print later because they felt that they overstepped their asking limits.

So please, ask for help. That is why I offer it. Yes, my wife thinks that I need to start limiting what I do for free as I do spend a lot of time on the free posters each week, but just ask. If I am busy, I will let you know, but I don't mind doing this for people.

The Free stuff that I do:
1) Resize image to actual dimensions and dpi for Spoonflower
2) Add border of any color for wrapping around a frame
3) Rotating of image while working in Photoshop so that you don't have to and so that your PC or Mac doesn't do it and auto-save at a reduced quality. This is required for most images for Spoonflower.
4) Some light searching of images for people. Many times I do this if a starting image isn't that good, and it makes it easier to work from a higher resolution image.
5) Minor image scratch/tear repair, mainly around edges.
6) Try to limit these to 6 or fewer posters total (because I've had some people ask for 4 here, 5 there, 3 there, and so on, and have ended up with over 20 posters for some people which is a lot of time).

Total time has been averaging about 2 hours for each request for free services.

Some things that I do for people that pay:
1) Text/logo removal.
2) Image border replacement (such as taking old 80's style posters with white borders and making them something else, this is different than #2 above).
3) More heavy image searching.
4) Combining of elements from multiple movie posters.
5) Will do a lot more than 6 basic posters, of course price helps influence this.
6) Color/image correction including removal of scratches, tears, fold marks from entire image, spot repair, color enhancement for printing, etc.
7) Textured borders, instead of just solid color like those in #2 under the free services.
8) More enhanced image manipulation. Things like taking a single image and turning it into 2 (or more) posters that are either a continuous image across multiple panels or look like they were made to be separate.
9) Other fun, crazy, interesting ideas that you come up with.

Total time for the paying people has been averaging around 6 hours, but this has ranged from one person wanting 2 really bad images "restored" which took about 3 hours, but they paid $20, up to one person who wanted 18 poster images (not sure where all 18 would go), fully customized with some minor restoration and a lot of the pay only options, which took about 12 hours but he paid $100. I've seen everything in between.

Again, I am not in this to make money, but I really do find that I am spending on average 2 hours a day lately (7 days a week) on mostly free work, and I need to start drawing the line. I don't feel that it is fair to draw a line without at least telling people where those lines are.

And for the record. some people have gotten a few of the "pay only" options in with their "free" request over time, and I will still do some of that just for the heck of it, but when things get busy I won't be able to. I typically do this and tell the requester later. It is fun giving people a happy surprise.

Anyway, enough of all of that. I have done so many requests lately, but nobody seems to come back and post their finished panels...
dgage and ambesolman like this.
post #1944 of 1950 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Even if you come to me for "free" services and you feel like you've annoyed me with all of the many (sometimes many, many, many) requests for tweaks and adjustments, searching for images, changing of sizes, etc... Even if it seems like you don't know exactly what you want before asking for several hours worth of work. Even it you have gone past the amount of time and effort that it takes to do posters that people actually pay me for....

If you don't have the tools or know how to use them, don't try to do this yourself. Just ask. If you catch me in a reasonable mood (which I am in most of the time), I may just help you out again... for free.

Here is a screenshot with an image that is blown up fairly large. These two examples started out as the same file. The one on the left was resized and worked on by someone who wasn't sure if he did a good enough job for Spoonflower and he asked me to work on this image (not sure how many times I've worked this image with different sizes, background colors, background textures (after having to remove the original background)) yet again.

I give him an absolute A for effort. Coming from not having the experience, tools, or practice, he did quite well. On the right is what it looks like when using some better tools and with a little more experience. Again, these image samples are zoomed in greater than the resizing, so printed the one on the right will look great. It is literally zoomed in to about 400% if not more of what Spoonflower uses, and crudely with just Windows Photo Viewer to show that nothing funny was going on.

What you don't see is that the background is more crisp in addition to the higher resolution words (Elvish LOTR text), and better color of the words vs. the desaturated background.

The point of this is not to make fun of someone or to try to say that I have some amazing skill. There are people WAY more talented at this than me, just that I have a good set of tools and have used them for many years, and I would much rather have someone ask me to make this better than to have them deal with a mediocre print later because they felt that they overstepped their asking limits.

So please, ask for help. That is why I offer it. Yes, my wife thinks that I need to start limiting what I do for free as I do spend a lot of time on the free posters each week, but just ask. If I am busy, I will let you know, but I don't mind doing this for people.

The Free stuff that I do:
1) Resize image to actual dimensions and dpi for Spoonflower
2) Add border of any color for wrapping around a frame
3) Rotating of image while working in Photoshop so that you don't have to and so that your PC or Mac doesn't do it and auto-save at a reduced quality. This is required for most images for Spoonflower.
4) Some light searching of images for people. Many times I do this if a starting image isn't that good, and it makes it easier to work from a higher resolution image.
5) Minor image scratch/tear repair, mainly around edges.
6) Try to limit these to 6 or fewer posters total (because I've had some people ask for 4 here, 5 there, 3 there, and so on, and have ended up with over 20 posters for some people which is a lot of time).

Total time has been averaging about 2 hours for each request for free services.

Some things that I do for people that pay:
1) Text/logo removal.
2) Image border replacement (such as taking old 80's style posters with white borders and making them something else, this is different than #2 above).
3) More heavy image searching.
4) Combining of elements from multiple movie posters.
5) Will do a lot more than 6 basic posters, of course price helps influence this.
6) Color/image correction including removal of scratches, tears, fold marks from entire image, spot repair, color enhancement for printing, etc.
7) Textured borders, instead of just solid color like those in #2 under the free services.
8) More enhanced image manipulation. Things like taking a single image and turning it into 2 (or more) posters that are either a continuous image across multiple panels or look like they were made to be separate.
9) Other fun, crazy, interesting ideas that you come up with.

Total time for the paying people has been averaging around 6 hours, but this has ranged from one person wanting 2 really bad images "restored" which took about 3 hours, but they paid $20, up to one person who wanted 18 poster images (not sure where all 18 would go), fully customized with some minor restoration and a lot of the pay only options, which took about 12 hours but he paid $100. I've seen everything in between.

Again, I am not in this to make money, but I really do find that I am spending on average 2 hours a day lately (7 days a week) on mostly free work, and I need to start drawing the line. I don't feel that it is fair to draw a line without at least telling people where those lines are.

And for the record. some people have gotten a few of the "pay only" options in with their "free" request over time, and I will still do some of that just for the heck of it, but when things get busy I won't be able to. I typically do this and tell the requester later. It is fun giving people a happy surprise.

Anyway, enough of all of that. I have done so many requests lately, but nobody seems to come back and post their finished panels...
post #1945 of 1950 Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 564
What a guy! Free/cheap image manipulation for those of us with no knowledge or skills. Who could ask for more? Thanks again nick!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1946 of 1950 Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Nickbuol - I have Photoshop and know how to use it reasonably well so don't need your assistance. But your input into this thread and obvious over the top help is so greatly appreciated. Thank you! I concur with Popalock that you are the cornerstone of this thread, which I recommend often.

EDIT - As a matter of fact, I'm starting a subwoofer company and going to use Spoonflower to print out some marketing materials for The Show Newport. Because of your efforts, you are saving me quite a bit of money getting my materials printed through Spoonflower as opposed to the traditional printing route. So thank you for saving me lots of money too!
nickbuol and popalock like this.
post #1947 of 1950 Old Today, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Again, these image samples are zoomed in greater than the resizing, so printed the one on the right will look great. It is literally zoomed in to about 400% if not more of what Spoonflower uses, and crudely with just Windows Photo Viewer to show that nothing funny was going on.

Whoa.... I might have to just give you my money because the image on the right looks incredible.

I recently downloaded the Perfect Photo Suite 9.5 Premium software, primarily for the Perfect Photo Resize ability. It resizes the photos well, but I have NO idea how to get the image to pop like you have in the pic above. Does the Perfect Photo Suite software even have the capability to accomplish what you have done in the above pic?
post #1948 of 1950 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, again my main reason for posting is that I just don't want anyone to deal with crappy images because they were afraid to ask for help.

I have no insight to Perfect Photo Suite, so I am not sure how well it works.

Also, the image that I used in my sample wasn't touched up or redrawn (I've done that before too), it was simply just resized using some decent tools and settings vs. someone trying to just resize with software that doesn't really do much to help maintain image quality, thus the pixelated image on the left. Most free software does what you get on the left.

From there is just came down to how the other person chose to turn a red background to black, and thus the faded, desaturated looking "yellow" Elvish text, vs. masking the letters so that they aren't changed in color or intensity while removing the color from the background to effectively turn it from red to black. Then adding a little bit of contrast adjustment so that it pops a little more, and some minor coloration/brightness tweaks.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, whether you are just getting started, or if I've already spent hours doing work for you and you've added "just a couple more" a few times already.
post #1949 of 1950 Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Wow. That's incredible you give up so much of your time. Be careful, you might have to hire staff. What starts off as a hobby, can easily turn into a business. These type of business are the most successful, because it's the love for what you do, that drives it. Keep on keeping on. My hats off to you. If the world had more folks like you, we would live in a better world.
post #1950 of 1950 Old Today, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
although i am tempted by this one as well...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction