DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 66 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 227Likes
post #1951 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This is a great thread, thanks to everyone that has contributed! Are these images be too dark to turn out nicely? What is the consensus for which fabric to use if not worried about acoustics?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTankster View Post
This is a great thread, thanks to everyone that has contributed! Are these images be too dark to turn out nicely? What is the consensus for which fabric to use if not worried about acoustics?
I had a dark starry night "art" piece printed on silky faille and it came out nicely with good detail so I wouldn't say those are two dark. And since you have text on those, silky faille is still acoustically transparent but doesn't stretch as much...will be easier to ensure text stays inline.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1953 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
For very dark and not worried about AT properties at all id go with silky faille. I used pk for mine and the extra stretch was nice and forgiving though and black's are pretty nice too
post #1954 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431006352.743483.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	704338

Silky faille

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1955 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Attachment 704338

Silky faille
Wow! Nice! But shouldn't you be studying or something?

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1956 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM

does Spoonflower round up to the next yard or do they charge based on actual size?
post #1957 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Wow! Nice! But shouldn't you be studying or something?

PM'd

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1958 of 1975 Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
does Spoonflower round up to the next yard or do they charge based on actual size?
You order the fabric by the yard, so yup, it is rounded up.

Others chimed in already, and without going through all of the pros and cons of the fabric types:

Both will yield great black levels, and since you aren't worried about acoustical properties, and some posters have a lot of words, go Silky Faille.

PK is almost acoustically transparent, but for panels that isn't as big of a deal anyway.

(See, sometimes I *DO* recommend Silky Faille to people.)
RTankster likes this.
post #1959 of 1975 Old 05-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well I finally got around to placing my order with spoonflower and received my pictures. I only 2 of the 6 picture I'm planning on doing just as a test. I think they look great.

You have to forgive the picture, it was taken with my cell phone and I had to turn the lights down and the flash makes the walls look funky.

A big thanks to Nick for all his help getting me these pictures.
nickbuol, dgage, luisev and 3 others like this.
post #1960 of 1975 Old 05-12-2015, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post
Well I finally got around to placing my order with spoonflower and received my pictures. I only 2 of the 6 picture I'm planning on doing just as a test. I think they look great.

You have to forgive the picture, it was taken with my cell phone and I had to turn the lights down and the flash makes the walls look funky.

I have not thought to use that picture. I like the way it turned out.
post #1961 of 1975 Old 05-12-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad that things are working out. Thanks for posting a picture too.
post #1962 of 1975 Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

That looks Awesome... Love that picture
post #1963 of 1975 Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus.Young View Post
That looks awesome... If I might ask where did you find that in High Res?
post #1964 of 1975 Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Very nice Job
post #1965 of 1975 Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am planning to make several panels using OC703, and I would like to use some photos that I have taken. Their native resolution is 4368x2912 RAW from a Canon 5D, and I was hoping to do either 2x4 or more ideally a 2x6 for one panel. I've read through the thread and googled around, but am still not clear about the practical limitation of enlargement processes and have no personal experience enlarging photos. With the 150dpi print requirement and my photo resolution, what is the limit of the panel size?

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k + MiniDSP 2x4
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
post #1966 of 1975 Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
I am planning to make several panels using OC703, and I would like to use some photos that I have taken. Their native resolution is 4368x2912 RAW from a Canon 5D, and I was hoping to do either 2x4 or more ideally a 2x6 for one panel. I've read through the thread and googled around, but am still not clear about the practical limitation of enlargement processes and have no personal experience enlarging photos. With the 150dpi print requirement and my photo resolution, what is the limit of the panel size?
Resolution won't be an issue with a 5D and print size you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #1967 of 1975 Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Resolution won't be an issue with a 5D and print size you want.
Yeah I did one with a Stargate image, was 1024x768 and I made it 3' x 18" and from sitting in the room I can't tell and bad quality by looking at it (now if I put it by one of my others and went a ft from it then I can tell)
post #1968 of 1975 Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I put my first Fabric Poster on a frame last night... I must say, it was a bit more challenging to get things lined up than I thought, any advice would be appreciated. I am using the Performance Knit material.

Thanks to Nick, who did all the photoshop work for me on the eight posters that I'll have in my room. His efforts were well worth the cost in order to get the posters how I wanted them. I think the poster colors & quality look really nice, I am definitely pleased with the process.

Here is a photo of the first 'completed' frame:

I am doing all of the walls in my theater room as Fabric Panels... I built all the frames the same, for the posters as well as the rest of them. I cut 3/4" plywood down into about 2" wide strips, use a Kreg Jig Pocket Hole set to join them together, and then used 3/4" x 3/4" Quarter Round to add the the edges of the frames. This is similar to the very first poster in this thread.

Here is a different angle.

I am a bit scattered with different things I am doing in my room, so, not sure when I'll do more of these. I'll post pictures of all the Pictures eventually, but will likely be awhile until they are done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaws.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	726778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Close Up.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	726786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Frame.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	726794  
post #1969 of 1975 Old 05-20-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
I agree with others that you can certainly make that work and with good results. Just keep in mind that you aren't printing on paper, but on fabric, so it is inherently lower possible resolution, but also forgiving in that the fabric hides a good amount of any artifacts from image enlargement.
post #1970 of 1975 Old 05-20-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I put my first Fabric Poster on a frame last night... I must say, it was a bit more challenging to get things lined up than I thought, any advice would be appreciated. I am using the Performance Knit material.

Thanks to Nick, who did all the photoshop work for me on the eight posters that I'll have in my room. His efforts were well worth the cost in order to get the posters how I wanted them. I think the poster colors & quality look really nice, I am definitely pleased with the process.
PK fabric really does well if you have a 2nd set of hands, don't stretch it much, and take your time.

Actually, taking your time with the Silky Faille fabric is a must as well, but for different reasons.

The Jaws one turned out great.

Can't wait to see the Star Wars and Indiana Jones ones.
post #1971 of 1975 Old 05-20-2015, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k + MiniDSP 2x4
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
post #1972 of 1975 Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

The Jaws one turned out great.

Can't wait to see the Star Wars and Indiana Jones ones.
Jaws does look great! That was one that I was considering too.
post #1973 of 1975 Old Today, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 63
what if you extend the image a bit and put small markers around the edge that would guide in keeping it straight? you would never see the markers because they would be on the sides?
post #1974 of 1975 Unread Today, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
what if you extend the image a bit and put small markers around the edge that would guide in keeping it straight? you would never see the markers because they would be on the sides?
I've discussed this somewhere else buried in this thread...

I actually did that for a couple of people in the past with mixed results.

I would create a 1 pixel white border in the middle of the (usually black) border around the frame. It was so that they could line up the mini white border with the back edge (where you wrap it around the back). The problem was that sometimes (ok, both times) the person that asked for that to be added wasn't as exact with their woodworking as I was able to be in Photoshop, and they never got it quite right. Not saying that it didn't help, but it wasn't as precise and hoped.

I have also made borders to be the exact thickness of the frame for people that SWEAR that they 'are going to go with a 2" frame' or whatever thickness, just to discover that they couldn't do 2" and needed it to be 2.5" but already had things printed, so they now have an issue of a 1/2" white border after the 2" black border to fix.

I've also had one person ask for a 1 pixel gray border right around the image so that things line up in the front of the frame and not the back. It looked OK, but I was told that since you are working with the back to staple things down, that you can't really see the front edge anyway and that is where the indicator is.

One thing that I did when I did mine was that I used some reasonably sticky painters tape, and I taped things into place, that way I could go back and adjust things as need be before stapling. In the end it was something that I really didn't need to do because I wasn't using movie poster images, but I wanted things to line up in a particular way from one poster to the next to the next. Plus this meant that I could tackle the project single handedly and this was for 24" x 48" x 3.5" thick frames, which are a good amount larger than the standard 24" x 36" movie poster frames. It worked really well.

I am always open to trying new ways to line things up using Photoshop for whatever trick may work, but what seems like it would make logical sense doesn't always work in practicality.

Oh, and you will actually see the sides more than you think. That is why the one person wanted gray. It wasn't going to stand out like white, but was still something. Others have asked just for corner indicators that they could use a black sharpie marker to cover the guides up with, but I never heard back about the success of that. Seems like it would have still been about the same as trying to use a full image outline (like my "in gray" example above) where you can't see it from the back of the frame when stapling.

Temporarily taping things into place seems like the best method. Low-tech, but allows for flexibility and adjustment before stapling. Plus you can always staple over the tape to secure things before removing the tape if need be.

Last edited by nickbuol; Today at 06:24 AM.
post #1975 of 1975 Unread Today, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
This is what I did with images without a clear edge, 1 pixel white border that I lined up on the corner of the frames. Worked very well. I waited to build my frames though to measure exactly what spoonflower sent me after printing and then made my frames. I found PK very forgiving in this regard where if you needed a slight bit of extra stretch it would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page