DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 366Likes

post #1981 of 2184 Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I completed the remainder of my Fabric Posters...

Here is an Indiana Jones one. The original image 'border' of the high quality photo I found was all white. I had another lower quality photo with the Brown border. Nick worked his magic and used the high quality image and converted the border to look how I wanted it.

\

Here is an E.T. photo. This one originally had a '20th Anniversary' type image below the ET wording, and the ET wording was smaller. Nick removed the 20th Anniversary data for me, and gave me two versions... one which was the original ET wording size, which left a lot of black space at the bottom, then this version - where he enlarged that wording to fill the space a bit more. I hadn't even thought of that as an option, but was pleased with his suggestion - I guess, as much as he has worked on these, he has developed a knack for this!

Similar story on this one, high quality image which had no words on it at all, and Nick added the Titanic wording (provided two options).

When I have these all hung, I'll take post pictures of these in the context of the overall room design.
nickbuol and Dave Vaughn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2184 Old 06-01-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 362
They turned out nice. Can't wait to see them hung on the walls.
post #1983 of 2184 Old 06-03-2015, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
They turned out nice. Can't wait to see them hung on the walls.
I am looking to create a wall multi panel display.
But they mostly turn out like doo doo, maybe i just have to go smaller or fine a much better resolution ?
Anyways it looks like your a person to talk to for help ?
post #1984 of 2184 Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlongkpr View Post
I am looking to create a wall multi panel display.
But they mostly turn out like doo doo, maybe i just have to go smaller or fine a much better resolution ?
Anyways it looks like your a person to talk to for help ?

Depends what you are looking to do. Post the details of your idea like sizes, and the types of images you are looking for and we can chat about it here. Might be a good excersize for people to see what information is helpful and see a full start to finish process.
post #1985 of 2184 Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Still not complete with my room, but have the top 2/3rds+ of my Fabric Panels mounted. I am waiting to do the bottom row until carpet is in. In my application of these Fabric Movie Posters, I made them the same 'depth' as the rest of my fabric panels - so, the Movie Poster surface is flush with the rest of the fabric frames.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side Panels-Movie Posters.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	757321  
nickbuol, Amagiri, luisev and 2 others like this.
post #1986 of 2184 Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Still not complete with my room, but have the top 2/3rds+ of my Fabric Panels mounted. I am waiting to do the bottom row until carpet is in. In my application of these Fabric Movie Posters, I made them the same 'depth' as the rest of my fabric panels - so, the Movie Poster surface is flush with the rest of the fabric frames.

That looks awesome.
Boomassiv likes this.
post #1987 of 2184 Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

I love that! looks better than poster versions imo.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #1988 of 2184 Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. Those look great!!! I have always been a fan of reducing the amount of text on a poster. I think that the image and title combo that we did turned out nice.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #1989 of 2184 Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM

The Darth, and the Star Destroyer are a few of my favorite pictures i have came across.
I have looked far and wide for Hi-Res images..just not easy.. or im looking in the wrong place.

As for size.. Like BIG...lol I was thinking 4 "C" size pages mounted on Foam Core, but the resolution is just pix-elated badly. I printed it out w/block print on 25 letter size pages it was horrid...
As for Darth it is a decent pic ? and already something like 40x20 so 3x its size. or is that just not possible and keep any quality of the picture ?
Thank you kindle for the advise
Ky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Darth Image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	762961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Star destoyer mod.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	762969  
dgage and PGTweed like this.
post #1990 of 2184 Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlongkpr View Post
The Darth, and the Star Destroyer are a few of my favorite pictures i have came across.
I have looked far and wide for Hi-Res images..just not easy.. or im looking in the wrong place.

As for size.. Like BIG...lol I was thinking 4 "C" size pages mounted on Foam Core, but the resolution is just pix-elated badly. I printed it out w/block print on 25 letter size pages it was horrid...
As for Darth it is a decent pic ? and already something like 40x20 so 3x its size. or is that just not possible and keep any quality of the picture ?
Thank you kindle for the advise
Ky
holy crap - those look like originals? I've never seen that before - Darth looks like it could be from TFU2 but I've definitely never seen that Star Destroyer shot before.
post #1991 of 2184 Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Holly cow!
Those Star Wars photos are something else! In a good way.
Can you please share them in full file form?
Ron

"New Member" since 2007....
post #1992 of 2184 Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
Holly cow!
Those Star Wars photos are something else! In a good way.
Can you please share them in full file form?
Ron
They are just jpg's i stole off of the Internet myself.. the Darth is a newer 4k pic.. the star destoyer is older but i think it was made or created like that..
Shoot me a Email at my profile Nick At GM@il.. I will gladly share them... I have a few other large prints that are cool also..
post #1993 of 2184 Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just getting back home from a work trip and some vacation time. Need to get through the lovely things like laundry, mowing the grass, going to the grocery store, etc, but I will at least send a PM to arlongkpr to get the originals as he has them and go from there...
post #1994 of 2184 Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Just getting back home from a work trip and some vacation time. Need to get through the lovely things like laundry, mowing the grass, going to the grocery store, etc, but I will at least send a PM to arlongkpr to get the originals as he has them and go from there...
Does anyone have a left over fabric/sample from spoonflower? I'd like to see if we can get some measurements done on it. Thx.
post #1995 of 2184 Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Does anyone have a left over fabric/sample from spoonflower? I'd like to see if we can get some measurements done on it. Thx.
What kinds of measurements? A number of audio measurements have been done and are (unfortunately buried) in this thread.

I can certainly summarize depending on what info you want.
post #1996 of 2184 Old 06-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is amazing! Thanks for sharing!
post #1997 of 2184 Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Some of the tests I did a while back with PK and SF

DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!
post #1998 of 2184 Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. Step 1 in the photo process. THE SOURCE IMAGES:

Here is what I was sent:

These aren't too shabby at all from the outset, but I can already see problems. Despite the reasonable horizontal and vertical resolution, look at the file sizes of the Star Wars in S.F. and R2D2 ones. Those look like they were smaller images that were enlarged, and using most generic enlargement processes, the file size doesn't grow much, and the images are a bit blurry. That is because the very original source wasn't very big, was expanded using mediocre enlargement, and then recompressed at a lower quality to keep the file size down. Bummer. Not that those can't potentially be salvaged, but they are of a concern.

Guideline... Regardless of the horizontal and vertical resolution, if there isn't much data there (small file size) then there is an indicator of poor enlargement, or excessive compression.

The "Effective" H and V (horizontal and vertical) are the sizes, in inches, at the current DPI that you can print to. Don't get too excited, the DPI for all of these is a lot less than even Spoonflower can accept, and that is about half of what a really nice print (on paper) would be. I mean, 11 Dots Per Inch for the Star Destroyer one is about the resolution of a really old dot matrix printer way back when... Then if you take the horizontal and vertical numbers, and divide by the 150DPI that Spoonflower likes, you get a more usable number. That is the final print size of the image without any additional enlargement.

Our target is a 3600 x 5400 x 150DPI image for a perfect 24" wide by 36" tall movie poster since that size works really well with most poster images.

These images look like they were made for viewing on a computer, thus they are more wide than tall, but you get the idea. Take the target width in inches, multiply by 150 (for the DPI) and do the same with the height, and you will get the ideal image size for what you are wanting to do.

We will talk about adding borders later. For now, here are the original images as they were sent to me. Tomorrow, I will make another post about the next step: IMAGE SEARCHING (trying to find even better quality images, and a quick way to do it).

Here are the files available for download since AVS compresses the linked images: http://ht.buol.us/posters/arlongkpr/orig/SW-Images.zip

STAR WARS IN S.F.

R2D2

STAR DESTROYER

FALCON

DARTH VADER
dgage, luisev, ambesolman and 1 others like this.

Last edited by nickbuol; 06-14-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Fixed link to Zip file of images.
post #1999 of 2184 Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
STAR WARS IN S.F.
that gave me chills
PGTweed likes this.
post #2000 of 2184 Old 06-10-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight's lesson: ONE WAY TO FIND THE LARGEST STARTING IMAGE

This relies on Google's Image Search option to find the same or similar images.

I was going to use the images above, but couldn't find anything that was any better than what we already had, so I picked a popular movie, found the smalled version of the poster, and used that as the starting point.

We are starting with an Avengers poster that is only 184 x 276 pixels. TINY!

Open up Google and click on the Images link in the upper right:

Next, grab and drag & drop the image from wherever you have it stored and put it on to the search bar... See the following 2 images.

It will come up with some result information.

Click on the Large link as indicated above and you will get the results below.

Do as it says, and pick one of the (much) higher resolution images and you should get something like this:

Select View Image and then right click and save the image that comes up. I hit the + sign that comes up when I moused over the image to show how much larger the image was, but you don't need to do that in order to save it.

Now we have a starting image that is 476 TIMES more image data information and more than 118 TIMES the size.

This makes any additional enlarging a lot easier and with less artifacts or need to blur the image using lower quality free software. NOTE: I have some pretty good enlarging software, but even it can't enlarge the tiny image that we started with.

Hopefully this helps for today's lesson.

Tomorrow I will talk about enlarging the image, doing any cropping, and adding a border. I won't go exactly step by step, but will give some ideas on the process more than anything. Can't give away ALL of the trade secrets. I won't be going over how to touch-up the images, remove words, etc as those steps vary from one image to the next, and again, if I give it all away, then I won't get any more requests for some of my advanced services.
Tedd, dgage, Amagiri and 7 others like this.
post #2001 of 2184 Old 06-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Awesome trick for finding the same/similar image. Thanks Nick. Outstanding post as usual.
ambesolman likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2002 of 2184 Old 06-12-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, life and work took over yesterday and I didn't have time to create my post.

The work one was fun. I work in IT and our client has a computer room that is in the lower level (basement) of one of their buildings. About 10 feet away is a loading dock that is also underground and has a long and wide sloping driveway down to it (semi trucks fit down there)... Last night we got dumped on with "Texas level" rain for a couple of hours something like 4 inches in an hour... Ok, not quite the 6 inches an hour that they got in Texas for a lot longer timeframe, but a LOT of rain...

You see where this is going. At the bottom of the sloping driveway for the loading dock is a long, 20 foot wide water drain. The problem is that our client's maintenance department didn't clean out some debris that had gotten in there this spring, and it wasn't able to handle the large quantity of water that made its way down there. So then it flooded into the building, across the hall, and into the computer room.

The good thing, for me, is that I have techs that are on call, so they went in and started tromping through the water to recover equipment while they waited for the facilities people to show up to get the water out. My guys got OT for it at least where I just got to sit on what they call a SWAT call with other managers that is always so fun and exciting. At 2AM things were cleaned up enough to call it a night. I gave my techs got some time off in addition to their OT so that they could sleep in a little bit, but I had to be back in at 7am this morning for a face to face meeting with some people here from overseas.

The room has some waterlogged carpet where 6 techs sit that I got some fans set up for (not sure why facilities didn't do that last night), and the techs that are in are going through new monitors, computers, and printers that were in boxes and stacked on the floor to make sure that they are OK. So much wet cardboard to dispose of as we send and receive computer hardware from this room as well (it is a very large space that I could probably fit my, 2100sqft on the main floor, house in to and water got to the back reaches of the room).

Anyway, it might be tonight, it might be over the weekend before I get to the next post. Time to go back downstairs and see how things are coming along.
dgage likes this.
post #2003 of 2184 Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Liked: 7
Sounds like fun! I'm in IT too, but I don't manage the servers. I'm a web developer so I just put stuff on them. We had some water in my basement a couple week ago though. If we weren't home at the time, my own computers would have been wrecked.

I'm going to be making a few acoustic panels for my kitchen. The youngest two of our four kids are deaf and now have cochlear implants. It's a fantastic technology: our 2 1/2 year-old son can hear a whisper from across the room. But it's still much harder for them to block out background noise and echo than it is for anyone with natural hearing. We never thought about the acoustics in our house until a couple weeks ago when we went to a workshop about acoustics for kids with hearing loss. We already put a rug in our living room, and that's made a huge difference. I can hardly hear the ceiling fan running anymore. But a rug is clearly a bad idea for the kitchen.

We are very much coffee lovers, so I'm going to get a few coffee-themed pictures. The folks at follygraph.com let me buy a digital copy of their '38 Ways to Make a Perfect Coffee' poster at a discount, and gave me a large enough size to print it as big as I want (4 feet high, or 7200 pixels). Though I think I'll have to make it only 45" tall so the width fits inside one yard with enough room to wrap around a frame.

I'm working on a couple others too that I'll probably make smaller. I might make my own design for one of them.

I'm looking forward to it. It's a neat project, and I'm kind of the opposite of the kids in that I'm a bit sensitive to sound. So I'll welcome some more silence in the kitchen.
nickbuol and dgage like this.
post #2004 of 2184 Old 06-12-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Like this image? It is available readily at 150dpi already (nice) and at about 17" x 24" in size before even scaling it up, much better than what most people start with. It would be pretty each to turn into a poster, although keeping in mind that it would be printed on fabric, you will lose some text detail for the small lettering if you wanted to use it as an actual readable image. Not saying that it wouldn't work at all. In fact, it might be perfectly fine.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #2005 of 2184 Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 PM

That's the one. I did find that size online. I know I could have snagged it an did my best to upscale it. But for $18.85 they sent me a tif that is twice that size (5101x7500). The quality is perfect, so I bet their original is vector based.
post #2006 of 2184 Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Eek, I totally didn't think about readability. Measuring the smallest letters, they would come out to about 3/32" or 2.4mm high. Not impossibly readable I don't think. But we'll see.

I think I'm going to go with the silky faille.
post #2007 of 2184 Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and give us a lesson too. I've already learned a lot from your first lesson.
I hate wet socks, dry yours out, get some sleep, the class will we here waiting patiently for your return.
Ron

"New Member" since 2007....
post #2008 of 2184 Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nick,
I've been thru the whole thread and I've searched and searched and I've got 4 posters in mind. I've got images and frame sizes figured out, i think. What i don't have is 15 posts.... so, if you can PM me with an email address and if you've got the time, i'd like to go over a few things.
Thanks in advance
Jeff
post #2009 of 2184 Old 06-18-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1028 View Post
Nick,
I've been thru the whole thread and I've searched and searched and I've got 4 posters in mind. I've got images and frame sizes figured out, i think. What i don't have is 15 posts.... so, if you can PM me with an email address and if you've got the time, i'd like to go over a few things.
Thanks in advance
Jeff
PM Sent
post #2010 of 2184 Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for just not getting back to my "how to" like posts. The next steps would probably take about 10 minutes to type out, but I just am feeling unmotivated right now. The nice weather lately has had me outside getting to all of the yard work things that I neglected when it was cold and rainy all spring...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page