DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 281Likes
post #2011 of 2028 Unread 06-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Sorry for just not getting back to my "how to" like posts. The next steps would probably take about 10 minutes to type out, but I just am feeling unmotivated right now. The nice weather lately has had me outside getting to all of the yard work things that I neglected when it was cold and rainy all spring...
You should not be apologizing at all given how much of yourself you have put into this thread and helping so many people. Enjoy the weather while its good my friend, you've more than earned it.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2028 Unread 07-01-2015, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Here is the final product, I appreciate the work Nick did to help make my theater the way I wanted it.

nickbuol, dgage, luisev and 2 others like this.
post #2013 of 2028 Unread 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 655
DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

Really like the way those are flushed in with the rest of the wall. They really tie the room together

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #2014 of 2028 Unread 07-12-2015, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I finished up my panels today. I've attached a picture of all three, as well as a close up of the small text on the big one. It came out well.

I've noticed a difference already. Even with noisy stuff going in our kitchen, I could still understand what the older kids were saying to me without getting them to repeat themselves. I'm sure it'll help our 2 and 1-year-olds with the cochlear implants too.

The big one is 32"x46", and the small ones are 21" square.

I was thinking of putting a black frame around them, but I didn't end up doing it. I may still, one day.

Eventually we'll get rid of that terrible wallpaper and paint the wall orange. We picked the designs with that in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150712_220049.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	827210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150712_161401.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	827218  
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by cybersaga; 07-15-2015 at 01:05 PM.
post #2015 of 2028 Unread 07-12-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Looks good. I like that you can still read the small text. Thanks for sharing!
post #2016 of 2028 Unread 07-13-2015, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaga View Post
I finished up my panels today. I've attached a picture of all three, as well as a close up of the small text on the big one. It came out well.

I've noticed a difference already. Even with noisy stuff going in our kitchen, I could still understand what the older kids were saying to me without getting them to repeat themselves. I'm sure it'll help our 2 and 1-year-olds with the cochlear implants too.

The big one is 32"x46", and the small ones are 21" square.

I was thinking of putting a black frame around them, but I didn't end up going it. I may still, one day.

Eventually we'll get rid of that terrible wallpaper and paint the wall orange. We picked the designs with that in mind.
Is this a product of Nick's work? If so, WOW... Is that the performance knit?
post #2017 of 2028 Unread 07-13-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Is this a product of Nick's work? If so, WOW... Is that the performance knit?
It's all silky faille.

Nothing was up-scaled for these. The brown coffee cup one was a free vector graphic I found online. For the other two, I actually paid the owners of the designs for a high-resolution copy. They were helpful in giving me the exact size I wanted so I could print it the size I wanted. I paid $18 for a digital copy of the big one, at the exact size I asked for. For the green one, I found the owner of the design on Etsy. She didn't feel comfortable giving me a digital copy, but she put the order into Spoonflower for me and I sent her $35 (the Spoonflower order was $24.60).

If she had given me a digital copy, I could have put both of the small designs on one yard. So I paid extra there too. But it's something that's going to be staring me in the face for a long time, so I wanted to be happy with the designs.

Last edited by cybersaga; 07-15-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #2018 of 2028 Unread 07-13-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, not my doing on these.

For those wondering, I would bet $10 that the blacks in real life look darker than in the zoomed in photo with the tape measure next to it. All of these products have some level of reflectivity. Ok, that is a bit strong, but when you take pictures of them, the blacks always seem to show up as a little "less than black" or with some light spots, but in real life using just your eyes, they are really deep black for both Silky Faille and Performance Knit. In photos, either the camera tries to do some correction due to the amount of black, or the camera flash is on, or something, so don't be scared if you see a little bit of "lighter" black in close up photos.
post #2019 of 2028 Unread 07-16-2015, 05:25 PM

For anyone else it might help, I though I'd share a small modification I made today.

My panels were mounted just with some wire on the back of the panel and a hook in the wall. This makes it hang with more space at the top and no space at the bottom.

To even out the spacing in behind, I put in screws in all four corners (and halfway up the height for the large one) and capped them. The caps I found are actually meant for ClosetMaid shelving system, to cap the cut ends of the wire shelving. But they fit #6 screws perfectly. I only needed 14, but a bag of 96 is only a few dollars.

Make sure to drill pilot holes.

This only keeps a half inch gap behind the panels, but it'll do and keeps things neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_195413.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	833306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_195441.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	833314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_202006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	833322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_202059.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	833330  
nickbuol, rgswff3 and dgage like this.
post #2020 of 2028 Unread 07-17-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool idea. Now you can also say that you have an air gap too. LOL (Too small to make much difference acoustically, but just "for fun.")

Thanks for sharing.
post #2021 of 2028 Unread 07-17-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Too small to make much difference acoustically
Curious: how much of a gap do you need to make a difference? An inch?

I don't think it'll make much of a difference in my scenario, since it's only useful for low frequencies right?
post #2022 of 2028 Unread 07-17-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaga View Post
Curious: how much of a gap do you need to make a difference? An inch?

I don't think it'll make much of a difference in my scenario, since it's only useful for low frequencies right?
Every bit helps, but the big thing is that the bigger the gap (or the thicker the acoustical material behind the fabric), the lower the frequencies that it will absorb. Sort of like how a 1" panel only will help with higher frequencies, but an 8" beast will get down pretty deep too. The "sweet spot" (in my opinion) is around 4" total. That can be 4" of acoustical insulation, or 2" and an air gap (close to the performance of 4" of insulation, but at lower cost). Those are great general absorption panels. Ideally we all would have our rooms measured and put in specific treatments for our specific needs, but as a general guideline for wall panels, that is a good one. Of course, you have to convince the "approval manager" (wife in my case) of that thick of a panel.

I compromised and went with a 3.5" thick panel because I could easily get 1x4 lumber (.75" x 3.5") as I don't trust my woof ripping skills to get a perfect 4" piece of wood.
post #2023 of 2028 Unread 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Makes sense. Mine are only 2" total (1.5" insulation, 0.5" gap). But I don't think there is much low-frequency stuff to cut out anyway. I'm aiming for frequencies in the normal voice range, children screaming (ugh!), and the buzz of kitchen appliances (fan in the range hood, coffee grinder, etc.).
post #2024 of 2028 Unread 08-03-2015, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great work at the outcome is awesome..
post #2025 of 2028 Unread 08-19-2015, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey, guys. I've been subscribed to this thread for years now and finally have the opportunity to put this ball in motion. I've tried to read most of this thread but at 68 pages... it's a lot to consume with the little one yelling "let's play" every few minutes.

I'm about 90% done with my little HT (picture below) and I have 6 poster ideas I'd like to incorporate in the front portion of the room to finish it off. Three posters per side, at 24x36" to match a couple rare posters I already bought.

One of which is this file for the Up movie poster I want to use. Link here:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/f3910b137399482

I loaded it up to spoonflower and even though the image resolution is 2838 × 3786, it still needs to be enlarged if I want to hit the target 24x36". I am using my iMac for this (my little netbook PC would choke all over itself). Does anyone have a suggestion on Apple based photo editing software, preferably free, that I can use to enlarge images and add simple borders around them? If not, I'll have to fire up my speaker testing PC which stays in the garage... but it's really hot out there. lol.
Secondly, it seems 150dpi is indeed the norm, right? Just want to make sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #2026 of 2028 Unread 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct 150dpi is what they can print, so that is the target.

24x36 at 150dpi is 3600 x 5400, plus the border to wrap around the sides of whatever frame.

I have no (current) experience with any Mac software ever since about 1996 when every major graphics program was available for the PC as well, sorry. Even if I did, most free software won't do what you want it to. Every free resizing tool that I've seen (all PC based) actually reduced the quality of the image while making it larger. That is why I don't use free resizing software and Photoshop for editing. Everything stays super high quality from start to finish.

If you have pristine images like that one from UP, I could resize them and add borders for you. Images that need touchups or repairs I generally don't offer my services for free, but you never know.

Shoot me a PM if you want me to work on the files and I will give you instructions on how to get the files to me, confirm the end results (image size, border size and color, etc)...
post #2027 of 2028 Unread 08-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
. . .Does anyone have a suggestion on Apple based photo editing software, preferably free, that I can use to enlarge images and add simple borders around them? . . .
I used Perfect Resize. Did a fantastic job. They have a free trial period that would give you plenty of time to do what you needed to do. That's what I did, but then ended up buying the software anyway because I liked it. Of course, Photoshop will do the job, too, but a little more skill is required.

Good luck.
post #2028 of 2028 Unread 08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Six 24" x 36" with 3" black border images processed for bikinpunk and prepped for Spoonflower. They are uploading now... Email sent with details, instructions, and sample images.
dgage and cybersaga like this.

Last edited by nickbuol; 08-20-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction