90Likes

post #181 of 1750 Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quick consensus please.

Should I cut an angled bevel for the surround speaker cut out?? I'm about ready to cover them.

Thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1750 Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Should I cut an angled bevel for the surround speaker cut out??

I would. It's such a small amount that I don't think it'll affect the properties of the panel, but having the speaker 'recessed' like that may affect the sound quality.
post #183 of 1750 Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

I would. It's such a small amount that I don't think it'll affect the properties of the panel, but having the speaker 'recessed' like that may affect the sound quality.

They are (at most) 8 feet directly parallel to the listeners ears. There are no seats in front nor behind the panels. I have heard no degradation in sound.

Here is a picture showing the seating arrangement...

This picture was taken from where the closest listeners ear would be...

post #184 of 1750 Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
After seeing those pics and only having 1 row, I'd say your fine leaving them alone then.
post #185 of 1750 Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Quick consensus please.

Should I cut an angled bevel for the surround speaker cut out?? I'm about ready to cover them.

Thoughts??

IMO, w/o taking measurements, since the fiberglass is proud to face of speakers I'd error on conservative side and cut 45deg bevels in the fiberglass like you were thinking. The fabric will cover that and it won't hurt, and just ensure less stray reflections.
post #186 of 1750 Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can some recommend a program to use to edit images? I don't have photoshop to try and enlarge the image to fit on a 2'x3' panel. Also any suggestions on dpi to use for this size? I will be making 4 panels that are 2'x3'. Any suggestion on being able to fit these on the least amount of fabric?
post #187 of 1750 Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Can some recommend a program to use to edit images? I don't have photoshop to try and enlarge the image to fit on a 2'x3' panel. Also any suggestions on dpi to use for this size? I will be making 4 panels that are 2'x3'. Any suggestion on being able to fit these on the least amount of fabric?

Picasa, GIMP, or iPhoto may be enough for your needs - free!

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #188 of 1750 Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Liked: 150
What DPI should we shoot for to make a 2' x 3' panel?
post #189 of 1750 Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

What DPI should we shoot for to make a 2' x 3' panel?

Best to ask the person who will be printing it. Typically 300dpi is enough, but it is printer-dependent. The recommended dpi would be the same whether you're printing 1x1 or 10x10.
post #190 of 1750 Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

The recommended dpi would be the same whether you're printing 1x1 or 10x10.

Would it be? A 5x7 picture can look great, but blow it up to life sized and you suddenly see all the now large dots with the now large spaces between the dots. Same reason whya 42inch TV at 720p and at 1080p both look the same from 12 feet away.
post #191 of 1750 Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Would it be? A 5x7 picture can look great, but blow it up to life sized and you suddenly see all the now large dots with the now large spaces between the dots. Same reason whya 42inch TV at 720p and at 1080p both look the same from 12 feet away.

So are you varying the print size, or the viewing distance? If you are seeing large dots after enlargement, you've reduced the dpi.

Ultimately you want DPI to match the printers capability.
post #192 of 1750 Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

So are you varying the print size, or the viewing distance? If you are seeing large dots after enlargement, you've reduced the dpi.

Ultimately you want DPI to match the printers capability.

Hmmm...good point. I was viewing it from the point of the original picture. You start with a picture of X dpi and then enlarge it...which reduces the dpi.
post #193 of 1750 Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 AM

Liked: 11
I have an issue with my posters with the spoon flower fabric and oc703 on the back. I'm seeing tiny holes coming through the fabric causing the prints to have white spots.

My question for the guys wrapping spoon flower fabric is, do u do any treatment to the oc703 like shaving it or do u place another piece of fabric in between the prints and oc703???

What do I do?? Also the prints begin to crease even after I iron flat, you can see the original folding creases??
post #194 of 1750 Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by siordia View Post

I have an issue with my posters with the spoon flower fabric and oc703 on the back. I'm seeing tiny holes coming through the fabric causing the prints to have white spots.

My question for the guys wrapping spoon flower fabric is, do u do any treatment to the oc703 like shaving it or do u place another piece of fabric in between the prints and oc703???

What do I do?? Also the prints begin to crease even after I iron flat, you can see the original folding creases??

When you say "holes" are you talking physical holes in the fabric or white spots bleaching out somehow? I've not seen anything like that with my panels after a year and some change of hanging on the wall, and I did not use batting or anything between the fiberglass and the fabric. Would moths possibly be involved?

If you're having problems with wrinkles after mounting, you can either pull the staples and re-mount, or try picking up a bottle of wrinkle releaser in the laundry section of your grocery store - the stuff works magic and will probably fix your problem assuming it was mounted correctly in the first place.
post #195 of 1750 Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM

It sounds like he sees the white of the oc703 through the holes in the fabric covering it.
post #196 of 1750 Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM

When I rub the panels I can feel the oc703, where it's uneven and pressing against the fabric.

On some those spots where can feel the oc703, it's actually pressing thru and causing a little hole where its white
post #197 of 1750 Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM
tcc

Hi guys, great thread here. I'm glad I found it as I recently contacted a company and they are charging $290/panel that's 27x41x1 *yikes* plus shipping since I'm in Canada.

I just took a look at the Spoonflower website and only saw the Premium Quilting weight fabric fron Kona. Is this the same stuff everyone has used/purchased? Also with the images printed are they clear/sharp/vibrant in color? It's hard to tell from the posted pics from others as either lights are shining on them or it's a dark picture taken.

tia
post #198 of 1750 Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Premium Quilting Weight is what has been used and tested. Acoustically transparent, but dense enough of a weave to hold colors. The art I used in the OP was very "punchy" to begin with, and the resulting panels are also pretty vibrant. If in doubt, print up some small test panels, with adjustments in the saturation.
post #199 of 1750 Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have been coming to this thread for months after initially stumbling upon it. I knew the second I saw those awesome James Bond panels that this was the exactly solution I wanted for my room if I was going to put up panels.

I finally just got my own panels completed and mounted this past week and I couldn't wait to come and make my own contribution after learning so much from everyone else.

This is nice timing for tcc as I'm in Canada as well.

I ordered 4 posters from spoonflower on the Kona fabric. (It looks like they renamed it since this thread was originally started)

I downloaded my posters from movieposterdb.com (About $5 in credits with a pile left over)

I enlarged the posters to 24' x 36" @ 150dpi, the exact external width of my frames.

I added a 4" black border around each image so that I would have enough to wrap around the frame and staple. (Edit: I get a lot of emails about his. I used photoshop and extended the canvas by 4" horizontally and vertically)

I then added them all into one file to upload to spoonflowers site.

4 yrds for somewhere around $70 + $7 shipping all the way to the great white north. (Had them in just over a week right to my mailbox in a tiny little plastic pouch)

For the frames and the insulation I used 2" x1" pine and Roxul Comfort Board IS. I could not for the life of me find OC 703 in my area. The Comfort board is readily available at Home depot for about $50

The frames are 1.5" thick and perfectly match the thickness of the Roxul.

I used a carpenter square, some spring clamps, wood glue and 2" brad nails to make the frames.

Each panel weights about 12lbs, a lot more then I had envisioned. I didn't want to hang it on a single screw in the drywall, and I hate dealing with picture wire (previous bad experiences) and I wanted to have them all hang in a nice even row.

Solution: French Cleats. 3 screws per cleat. I cut the cleats to 20" in length so you can't see them when you look at the panels from the side. They appear to be just floating off the wall.

Bonus: The french cleats give me a 3/4" airspace.

The finished product: (total cost was about $150 CND for 4 panels. And I still have enough roxul to make 2 more.)

Now I just need to get a couch, and I am good to go.

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Feel free to PM if you ever need further details for your own project.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #200 of 1750 Old 09-02-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Looks good - Nice Post!
Thanks for sharing these very useful details

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #201 of 1750 Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
tcc

Ah, nice to see another TDot person smile.gif.

Thanks for the write up and solutions. 20lbs per pic...wow!! Is the pine that heavy? What other kind of material do people use for frames? I was going to go the roxul way but I don't want to deal with fiber glass. So I found a company that sells that Eco insulation for about $90 for 5 pcs at 8x24x48. Will have to do some trimming of course.

Funny thing is that 3 out of your 4 posters is what I'm thinking of making smile.gif. What did you use for a backing?
post #202 of 1750 Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Man this is a great thread! I am loving this idea.
post #203 of 1750 Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hey tcc:

I over exaggerated the weight a bit, I just weighed one and it came to about 12 lbs. Still glad I didn't try to use the little saw tooth picture hangers I was originally going to use.

The pine frames are really light. All the weight comes from the Roxul. The rigid type insulation's are heavier than regular bat insulation as it is more dense.

I friction fit the Roxul in the frame, no glue or anything. After We (wife helped) mounted the posters, we cut up a bed sheet and used that as the backing. ($6 at wal mart, one sheet did all 4 posters)
post #204 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM

I am not planning on using a wooden frame, but instead pulling the fabric snug around the Roxul. Will this pose me a problem?
post #205 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I've not worked with the Roxul material, but if it's rigid enough to hold the fabric and you have some way to mount it securely to the wall, it should work fine. Not having a frame at all is better from an acoustical standpoint.
post #206 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luma View Post

I've not worked with the Roxul material, but if it's rigid enough to hold the fabric and you have some way to mount it securely to the wall, it should work fine. Not having a frame at all is better from an acoustical standpoint.

...because the sound can travel in from the sides as well as the front face.  My only concern would be that if you pull the fabric tight enough so that it doesn't sag, you'll probably end up rounding the nice 45 degree edges on the panels.  I used 3pfc fiber glass instead and I don't think it would work with that, even though it might be close.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #207 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Thanks! I was thinking of using something like this:

hwr_foamkwikLG.jpg

95 cents for a package of 6 from here

http://www.govart.com/hardware_hangers_foam_B.html

Or maybe two of these per picture:

056d6611-3d9c-4834-93af-f3b97ab8ee0e_300.jpg

A pack of 4 for $3.25 from Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202048235/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=picture+hanging&storeId=10051

I will just push the spear the foam against the hanger.

EDIT: I will also use a spray glue to help hold the fabric in place.
post #208 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

It might be pretty hard to do without a frame. The kona fabric will stretch a fair bit and that with stretch and distort the poster image. You might need to wrap the entire panel once with one piece of fabric, then place your poster over that so that the fabric underneath bears all the weight when hanging.

I did see a video using something like those clips in the first picture... they used liquid nails to glue four of them to a wall, one in each corner, then hung an acoustic panel on them, and it worked well.
post #209 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Hhmmm.....sounds like a frame is the best way to go.
post #210 of 1750 Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

If you really want, it would be pretty easy to do a 3 sided frame, with the open side towards your sound stage. Just run a wire or some metal strapping down the open side. ( I thought about it, but got lazy)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page