DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 485Likes

post #2071 of 2416 Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
Probably a dumb question, but how effective (or more accurately ineffective) would it be to use a print on canvas and mount this on top of an acoustic panel frame (or a frame with 2 inch OC703 inside)?
Can't speak to the effectiveness from an acoustical standpoint, but from an artistic standpoint the artwork on my fabric from Spoonflower looks way better than anything I've ever seen printed on canvas. The finer weave of the fabric makes for a much finer resolution of the image. Canvas has a pretty course weave.

That's my experience, at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2416 Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
The two main fabrics primarily used in this thread are Silky Faile and Performance Knit with the PK being more acoustically transparent. But for treatments over insulation, either would work great. And I went the artistic route instead of a movie poster and I was over the top happy with the print quality and results.
ambesolman likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2073 of 2416 Old 10-07-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Yeah, putting these over acoustical absorption material (in the form of panels) is even the title of the thread.

It works great. Like mentioned already PK is significantly more acoustically transparent, but for absorption panels, PK or SF work great.

Using some actual "canvas print" like you would buy at a store would probably reflect more than you would like, and the panel would have to be pretty thick to do any absorption, and then it is lower frequencies only.

Just get them "reprinted" on Performance Knit or Silky Faille.

Last edited by nickbuol; 10-08-2015 at 10:09 PM.
post #2074 of 2416 Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
Probably a dumb question, but how effective (or more accurately ineffective) would it be to use a print on canvas and mount this on top of an acoustic panel frame (or a frame with 2 inch OC703 inside)?
Canvas is too dense; it doesn't let any sound through. So it wouldn't make a difference if you had acoustic insulation behind it or not.

This is, based on the information I've read on the subject.
post #2075 of 2416 Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ordered 6 prints this morning on Spoonflower and it moved from 'order processing' to 'printing and processing' stage this late evening, hopefully will get it shipped by next week, Special thanks to Nickbuol for helping with the image edits.
post #2076 of 2416 Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

OK everyone. I am taking a good solid week and a half off from working on peoples' poster images. I've been throwing in a lot of "extras" that I said I would only do for paying customers, and it is taking a LOT of time this week. I've got almost 30 hours of time in this week for just 5 people's poster images and not a single one was a paying customer. Part of this is my fault for doing things that I said I wouldn't do, and part of it is that people are asking for more and more complex work (lots of text removals, "gallery" borders (which take a lot of processing time), finding better images, enlarging really low res images and spending a ton of time cleaning them up, adding text using special fonts, making really wide images into tall ones which means shifting a lot around on the poster, people asking for a few posters, and then adding more and more, people asking me to find images for them, so then I work up multiple images to see what they want, so on and so on).

I don't mind doing the quick and dirty resize to the regular 24x36 with a solid color border as those I can bang out (as long as the original image is decent enough, IE: Not these 12KB - 100KB starting images that I got from several people this week) in just a few minutes each using $200 resizing software, and Photoshop CS6 (where you actually had to BUY the software for about $700, not they have some crappy $120/yr program that I am holding off on as long as possible). Photo editing is not my day job, and I do have a family plus many other hobbies that I enjoy. A little extra cash on the side is nice when I spend that much time in one week on images to at least be able to tell my wife, "Honey, I know that I have been in the office in the basement all night, but I made a few bucks so you can buy some shoes - OK, my wife doesn't have a shoe fettish, but you understand where I am coming from.)

Anyway, I am out of town for a chunk of the weekend, and then traveling for work all next week (hitting up CEDIA too), so I would have taken some time away from editing since I don't do it on the road due my traveling laptop is just too slow for it. So I wouldn't have done much anyway, I just need a few of my evenings back so that I can "recharge" a bit. I've got quite a few new movies that are queuing up, plus a horde of new TV shows to check out with my family.

I hope that you all understand, and next time I just need to be more firm and refer people back to my list of what is free and what isn't : CLICK THIS LINK --> DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

Don't get me wrong, it was fun doing some of the images, my time is just too valuable to spend literally 30 hours on top of my 45 hour a week job doing these just because I am a nice guy. I want to help, but I am just getting worn out.

I do have 1 person's images to finish up which I am going to hammer out even though it is already 12:30am just so that I can to go bed tonight knowing that I am done.

Please don't be mad at me for my post. I really do want to continue to help.

Last edited by nickbuol; 10-08-2015 at 10:41 PM.
post #2077 of 2416 Old 10-08-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
OK everyone. I am taking a good solid week and a half off from working on peoples' poster images. I've been throwing in a lot of "extras" that I said I would only do for paying customers, and it is taking a LOT of time this week. I've got almost 30 hours of time in this week for just 5 people's poster images and not a single one was a paying customer. Part of this is my fault for doing things that I said I wouldn't do, and part of it is that people are asking for more and more complex work (lots of text removals, "gallery" borders (which take a lot of processing time), finding better images, enlarging really low res images and spending a ton of time cleaning them up, adding text using special fonts, making really wide images into tall ones which means shifting a lot around on the poster, people asking for a few posters, and then adding more and more, people asking me to find images for them, so then I work up multiple images to see what they want, so on and so on).

I don't mind doing the quick and dirty resize to the regular 24x36 with a solid color border as those I can bang out (as long as the original image is decent enough, IE: Not these 12KB - 100KB starting images that I got from several people this week) in just a few minutes each using $200 resizing software, and Photoshop CS6 (where you actually had to BUY the software for about $700, not they have some crappy $120/yr program that I am holding off on as long as possible). Photo editing is not my day job, and I do have a family plus many other hobbies that I enjoy. A little extra cash on the side is nice when I spend that much time in one week on images to at least be able to tell my wife, "Honey, I know that I have been in the office in the basement all night, but I made a few bucks so you can buy some shoes - OK, my wife doesn't have a shoe fettish, but you understand where I am coming from.)

Anyway, I am out of town for a chunk of the weekend, and then traveling for work all next week (hitting up CEDIA too), so I would have taken some time away from editing since I don't do it on the road due my traveling laptop is just too slow for it. So I wouldn't have done much anyway, I just need a few of my evenings back so that I can "recharge" a bit. I've got quite a few new movies that are queuing up, plus a horde of new TV shows to check out with my family.

I hope that you all understand, and next time I just need to be more firm and refer people back to my list of what is free and what isn't : CLICK THIS LINK --> DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

Don't get me wrong, it was fun doing some of the images, my time is just too valuable to spend literally 30 hours on top of my 45 hour a week job doing these just because I am a nice guy. I want to help, but I am just getting worn out.

I do have 1 person's images to finish up which I am going to hammer out even though it is already 12:30am just so that I can to go bed tonight knowing that I am done.

I'm mad at you...I kinda want to fire you from this thread for being such a pushover. Your services are valuable and you should be compensated as such.

It is human nature for people to keep asking for more and more and if you don't draw the line (and stick to your guns) nothing will ever change.

Recharge, come back and start establishing limits. Once you give someone a quote for their request, make them accountable for any changes the want to make after the fact. Having experienced (and PAID) for your work in the past, I can honestly say that I would have paid double for your services. Plus the insight you bring to this entire process is just as valuable at the Photoshop work you do in and of itself.

Enjoy your vacation.
dgage and ambesolman like this.
post #2078 of 2416 Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I'm mad at you...I kinda want to fire you from this thread for being such a pushover.

Yeah, I suck. LOL

Thanks for the sarcasm and nice words. Makes for a quick chuckle and then a good "warm and fuzzy" feeling for my Friday.
dgage and djhamp like this.
post #2079 of 2416 Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Yeah, I suck. LOL

Thanks for the sarcasm and nice words. Makes for a quick chuckle and then a good "warm and fuzzy" feeling for my Friday.
Nick,

I would charge for your services..you do great work.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #2080 of 2416 Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Nick,

I would charge for your services..you do great work.
I concur!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #2081 of 2416 Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Nick - for the quality of work you are putting out for free, some sort of compensation is in order. I know It would take me a lot longer, cost me more money, and still not get the quality of images you are creating. Enjoy your down time.
djhamp likes this.
post #2082 of 2416 Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Nick, Honestly, my wife and I both felt guilty about how little we paid you for this service. So guilty that you have a standing invitation to any movie night or party we throw and we will always have your beverage of choice on hand...plus now that we will be living less than a few blocks from Mr. @dlbeck I will also volunteer his theater for viewings.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
post #2083 of 2416 Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello,
I have 6 panels I bought from ATSAccoustics.com.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS...nels--100.html

Can I simply cover them with the Spoonflower Performance Knit material, or do I need to remove the material they came with?

Thanks!
Darin
post #2084 of 2416 Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj7675 View Post
Hello,
I have 6 panels I bought from ATSAccoustics.com.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS...nels--100.html

Can I simply cover them with the Spoonflower Performance Knit material, or do I need to remove the material they came with?

Thanks!
Darin
My opinion is you wouldn't be able to tell a difference at all and would need expensive measuring equipment to show a minute difference. The thing I'd be worried with more is the fabric color showing through any white of the poster...unless the fabric is black.
nickbuol likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #2085 of 2416 Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thank you for the info. That should make it easy!
post #2086 of 2416 Old 10-11-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Nick, Honestly, my wife and I both felt guilty about how little we paid you for this service. So guilty that you have a standing invitation to any movie night or party we throw and we will always have your beverage of choice on hand...plus now that we will be living less than a few blocks from Mr. @dlbeck I will also volunteer his theater for viewings.
Hey, I was just in West Des Moines last night, but it was for a Marching Band competition, so you evening was booked. LOL

With my oldest a senior at Drake University, you never know.... I might just take you up on that offer.
post #2087 of 2416 Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
My opinion is you wouldn't be able to tell a difference at all and would need expensive measuring equipment to show a minute difference. The thing I'd be worried with more is the fabric color showing through any white of the poster...unless the fabric is black.

Agreed on all accounts.
post #2088 of 2416 Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
final update....

got my posters hung on the walls. I'm really happy with how they turned out. and my wife/kid love them.
New here. Very nice posters. Love the Lilo and Stitch. I am in the early stages. Because the walls will eventually be a dull darker color, I am going to have to sell my wife on the it with gorgeous posters like these that are acoustically functional.

Another question... Is there an archive or a place to download the images that people have used here?

Gear: Denon AVR-X3200W; Chane A5rx-c Main L/R, Chane A2rx-c center; Elemental Design A5-350 Subwoofer; Panasonic PT-AE8000U; MOnoprice Surrounds; Screen skimmed, waiting to be painted

Last edited by BigRedNole; 10-18-2015 at 09:56 AM.
post #2089 of 2416 Old 10-18-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello Nick , Sent you a PM
post #2090 of 2416 Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarade View Post
Hello Nick , Sent you a PM
I just responded.

Might be a touch busy tonight and definitely tomorrow night as my oldest daughter is home for a couple of days, and my youngest has a band concert at school tomorrow night.
post #2091 of 2416 Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
hey guys - new poster (no pun intended) to this thread. i just moved apartments and finally have a space worth getting set up with some accoustic panels/artwork.

last time i looked at this thread was about 5 years ago or so but didnt pay to go through the process given the theater space i had back then. what is the current DIY 'state-of-the-art' thinking in making these these days in terms of online service/printer to use/fabric to use/etc? i assume we should still be using OC insulation and that folks havent found better absorbing material?

thanks!
rukus
post #2092 of 2416 Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Spoonflower is still the only printer that has been discussed. There may be others out there but Spoonflower is still very good and hasn't given us any reason to look elsewhere.

Fabric choices are primarily Silky-Faile or Performance Knit. PK is a little more acoustically transparent but the primary difference is stretch. If you have text or straight lines on your poster, PK is more stretchable and people sometimes have problems keeping lines/text straight. In that case I'd recommend SF.

People have used various insulation but the primary "stiff" insulation used are either OC703 or Roxulboard 60.
nickbuol, rukus29 and ambesolman like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #2093 of 2416 Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Spoonflower is still the only printer that has been discussed. There may be others out there but Spoonflower is still very good and hasn't given us any reason to look elsewhere.

Fabric choices are primarily Silky-Faile or Performance Knit. PK is a little more acoustically transparent but the primary difference is stretch. If you have text or straight lines on your poster, PK is more stretchable and people sometimes have problems keeping lines/text straight. In that case I'd recommend SF.

People have used various insulation but the primary "stiff" insulation used are either OC703 or Roxulboard 60.
awesome, thank you Dave
post #2094 of 2416 Old 10-20-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

David beat me to it, but yes to everything he mentioned.
rukus29 likes this.
post #2095 of 2416 Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I worked on a few more movie posters this week. Last set of 11 is still out for review with the AVS user, and it got me thinking that maybe people would like to see some sample images of what I've done.

Instead of posting a bunch of images here, I am leaving it up to you to go out and view these yourself.

Whatever you do, don't download them all and think that these are good copies. These are downsized samples just to get a feel for the layout. I have the full resolution images elsewhere.

What you won't see is what I started with, but just the end results. Again, these aren't all of them, but just what I've done in maybe the last 2 months, plus a couple of select others that I liked along the way.

Some of the things that I started with were issues like:
low quality/low resolution images
photos of actual movie posters that had tears, folds, smudges
images that needed text/logos removed
images that needed text/logos added
images that needed general enhancement (color correction, contrast, brightness, etc)
images that were extremely wide/tall and needed to be turned into images that were tall/wide (which means drawing and copying a LOT by hand to get the dimensions right)
images that didn't even exist (a creation or even collage of other images)
images that weren't even images (just told something like, "hey I need a Wolverine poster too" which happened this week, but wasn't the first time)
So on and so forth. Only about 5-10% of these were usable as I received them and could just enlarge, crop, and add a border. That leave a massive majority that needed work.

Again, for your browsing enjoyment... or for those times that you are just bored and looking for something to do. LOL
CLICK HERE ==> http://ht.buol.us/postersamples/
post #2096 of 2416 Old 10-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Nick,

Want me to setup a website where you could post some before/after shots, likely in a smaller size so we there aren't any copyright issues with people grabbing them and using them for who knows what purpose that gets unwanted attention by the movie studios. I have 3 years of hosting that I'm not really using.

David
post #2097 of 2416 Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nick,

Want me to setup a website where you could post some before/after shots, likely in a smaller size so we there aren't any copyright issues with people grabbing them and using them for who knows what purpose that gets unwanted attention by the movie studios. I have 3 years of hosting that I'm not really using.

David
I actually have a web domain and hosting that I pay for, but I just don't have the energy to do it. LOL I think that somewhere else in this thread I posted a before and after picture. Maybe I will just dig up a couple to show a "this is an easy one" and maybe a "this is what could be done" one.
post #2098 of 2416 Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 885
This is such a cool thread, finally getting around to start making some panels. I am going with a final size of 24 x 48 inches to maximize the sheet of OC703 (going with 3" (a 2" sheet and a 1" sheet)).

Putting together some images now as trial run to get ideas flowing. I have the files saved as .png and they are all around 30-50 MB. Most of the posters started as 2000 x 3000, but I am not sure of DPI.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compiliation.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	1024265  
nickbuol and Dave Vaughn like this.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
post #2099 of 2416 Old 11-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I've been reading this forum for months and it has been very helpful in all aspects of building our new media room. I just registered for the forum because my final step is adding custom panels. I was browsing your link of samples and wondering if those images are available in full size, ready to print via Spoonflower. I found some on my own, which I am willing to pay you edit (add border, remove words, etc), but I'm sure I could pick from the ones you have already created since you have already done the work on these. Please let me know. Thanks!
post #2100 of 2416 Old 11-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebumanna View Post
Hi, I've been reading this forum for months and it has been very helpful in all aspects of building our new media room. I just registered for the forum because my final step is adding custom panels. I was browsing your link of samples and wondering if those images are available in full size, ready to print via Spoonflower. I found some on my own, which I am willing to pay you edit (add border, remove words, etc), but I'm sure I could pick from the ones you have already created since you have already done the work on these. Please let me know. Thanks!
My previous post is in response to Nickbuol's post #2095 that contains the link to his sample images. It wouldn't let me keep the original post in my reply because it has a link and because I'm such a newbie (that was my first post), I can't have images or links!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page