DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 485Likes

post #2161 of 2416 Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtH View Post
Just wondering if anyone from Canada has ordered from Spoonflower lately? Just wondering what people were getting charged for shipping/duties?
I'm in Canada. I ordered from Spoonflower back in June. I was charged US$6 shipping. I bought two designs, 1 yard each, and a fabric sample pack.

There are no duties on anything made in the US. (reference)

If you make a huge order you might get charged tax, which would just be HST. I've only ever gotten charged tax on something coming through the mail once.
banzaiibc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2416 Old 01-08-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for the info cybersaga. I'm just getting to the point of ordering the final details for the theater. Good to know that they don't charge too much for shipping, seeing how our dollar is so weak now.
post #2163 of 2416 Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Love this thread - one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

In my case - I wasn't looking for acoustic treatments - just a couple of posters to decorate my small Bonus Room theater. So my variations were as follows:
  • I used standard stretcher bars for my frame from an online art supply house
  • I used a heavier material from Spoonflower because I wasn't concerned about acoustic transparency
  • I didn't use any kind of insulation on the back

For my images, I used Photoshop Elements to add the border, adjust the image size, etc. I was concerned about getting the longer of the two posters (North by Northwest, 24 x 60) lined up exactly right, since there was a lot of text right near the border. I wasn't as concerned about the other one - since by its design it was more forgiving. So I had the more forgiving one printed first - got a feel for the degree of stretch - and then printed the longer one. I also added a center lines outside of the viewable area for all 4 sides - so I could very carefully/easily line it up while I was stretching it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Poster Wall.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1174418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Wall.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1174426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Poster Zoom.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1174434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster Zoom.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1174442  
nickbuol likes this.

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
post #2164 of 2416 Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Nice. What fabric did you use?
post #2165 of 2416 Old 01-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Nice. What fabric did you use?
Linen-Cotton Canvas Ultra

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
post #2166 of 2416 Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw this thread quite a while back and am excited to be thinking about which posters I finally want to do now! Nick I will be contacting you shortly. Great stuff in here everyone!
nickbuol likes this.
post #2167 of 2416 Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Prange View Post
I saw this thread quite a while back and am excited to be thinking about which posters I finally want to do now! Nick I will be contacting you shortly. Great stuff in here everyone!
I look forward to it.
post #2168 of 2416 Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I like the mix of horizontal and vertical images...

I did some images for a user here a while back that were all Lord of the Rings themed. All images were 24 x 48. The tall ones were main characters from the films, and the 2 wide ones were a map of the entire LOTR world and the other was one of my favorite images, a dramatic image of "the ring" with subtle but impactful background imagery. The mix of the tall and wide images looked really nice.
Nick,

Do you have any images of the Lord of the Rings work that you mentioned? I might be interested in them.

Dave
post #2169 of 2416 Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfergy View Post
Nick,

Do you have any images of the Lord of the Rings work that you mentioned? I might be interested in them.

Dave
FYI: I can't send private messages until I reach 15 posts.
post #2170 of 2416 Old 01-14-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2171 of 2416 Old 01-14-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Nick...thanks again for all your help with my panels (see previous posts for pictures). Did you receive the PayPal payment for your help?

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #2172 of 2416 Old 01-15-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Nick...thanks again for all your help with my panels (see previous posts for pictures). Did you receive the PayPal payment for your help?
Yes I did. I show a "thank you" email that I sent you in my send items after receiving the money, but maybe it didn't make it in to your inbox...

Glad it all worked out for you and hopefully to your satisfaction.
cuzed2 likes this.
post #2173 of 2416 Old 01-15-2016, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn

Yes I did. I show a "thank you" email that I sent you in my send items after receiving the money, but maybe it didn't make it in to your inbox...
Glad it all worked out for you and hopefully to your satisfaction
@nickbuol ,
So you are now working with a famous client - excellent
nickbuol likes this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #2174 of 2416 Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:

Glad it all worked out for you and hopefully to your satisfaction.
Nick, for some reason I didn't get it, but no big deal. I chalked it up to the holidays. I just wanted to make sure it arrived and to encourage others here to pay you something for your time if you assist them. Thanks again for all your help.
nickbuol likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #2175 of 2416 Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone tried applying the printed fabric over a budget panel? Would two layers of fabric kill the performance. Just asking as I'll probably never get around to building frames etc...

Thanks
post #2176 of 2416 Old 01-16-2016, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely you will be just fine. There are some really thick and dense fabrics/materials put over a lot of commercial grade acoustical absorption panels. I can't imagine Silky Faille being a problems, and it is nowhere near as acoustically transparent as Performance Knit. I mean, I would never put Silky Faille covering a speaker, but if it is still good, then the better (acoustically) Performance Knit would be too.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #2177 of 2416 Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 View Post
Has anyone tried applying the printed fabric over a budget panel? Would two layers of fabric kill the performance. Just asking as I'll probably never get around to building frames etc...

Thanks
I used the Performance Knit over existing GIK panels with no loss in absorption or diffusion. That said, if you are not looking for much sound treatment and more for the effect I think you could get away with 2 layers. Given the material costs and time you have several choices for budget panels. More information in my signature.

Also, if you have the opportunity to work with NickB. I would highly recommend it. He really is a master when it comes to creating these functional movie posters
nickbuol likes this.

----
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."

Dedicated Dolby ATMOS Theater Build
post #2178 of 2416 Old 01-29-2016, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 108
First off, BIG THANKS TO NICK!!!!! You sir, are the man!!!!

Also, thanks to dgage for letting me bounce some questions off of him and everyone who has contributed to this thread. I really appreciate all the information in this thread, it was an awesome resource.

I took advantage of being snowed in this weekend to finally assemble my acoustic panels with the help of my lovely wife. I went with the performance knit, which is almost like an under armour texture for those of you who aren't sure what to expect. I ordered my frames pre-built (24x36x3 inches) from framedestination.com and ordered a 6-pack of 24x48x2 OC703, which was enough for my 8 24x36 panels.

As far as placement, the ones towards the front are covering reflections, the rest are a compromise with the misses who wanted it to look decent and not just be functional placement.

I can tell you, my room sounds different from my MLP, it's a little startling going from a room with bare walls to minimal treatments, but it has shown me just how much of what I was hearing was reflected sound, interesting stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panels.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1219018   Click image for larger version

Name:	panels 2 of 2.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1219026   Click image for larger version

Name:	panels 1 of 2.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1219034  
post #2179 of 2416 Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2180 of 2416 Old 01-30-2016, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Most likely you will be just fine. There are some really thick and dense fabrics/materials put over a lot of commercial grade acoustical absorption panels. I can't imagine Silky Faille being a problems, and it is nowhere near as acoustically transparent as Performance Knit. I mean, I would never put Silky Faille covering a speaker, but if it is still good, then the better (acoustically) Performance Knit would be too.

Hi Nick,

What is the Performance Knit? Do you give any link about it?
I live in Turkey, I try to find it in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2181 of 2416 Old 01-30-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0dVA View Post
First off, BIG THANKS TO NICK!!!!! You sir, are the man!!!!

Also, thanks to dgage for letting me bounce some questions off of him and everyone who has contributed to this thread. I really appreciate all the information in this thread, it was an awesome resource.

I took advantage of being snowed in this weekend to finally assemble my acoustic panels with the help of my lovely wife. I went with the performance knit, which is almost like an under armour texture for those of you who aren't sure what to expect. I ordered my frames pre-built (24x36x3 inches) from framedestination.com and ordered a 6-pack of 24x48x2 OC703, which was enough for my 8 24x36 panels.

As far as placement, the ones towards the front are covering reflections, the rest are a compromise with the misses who wanted it to look decent and not just be functional placement.

I can tell you, my room sounds different from my MLP, it's a little startling going from a room with bare walls to minimal treatments, but it has shown me just how much of what I was hearing was reflected sound, interesting stuff...
Looks really good, great to read you found an audible difference.

I have received multiple panels, now just need to get busy building frames. Bought a new miter saw to assist with all the cuts. Should start building frames next month.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
post #2182 of 2416 Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkal View Post
Hi Nick,

What is the Performance Knit? Do you give any link about it?
I live in Turkey, I try to find it in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Performance Knit and Silky Faille are the fabric names from Spoonflower.com, where people have been getting their images printed. They both cost the same, Performance Knit is a little bit wider at 56" vs. 54" for Silky Faille. As mentioned above, the Performance Knit is the most acoustically transparent, but for acoustical panels they both work well. Image quality is great with either one.

The biggest difference is the Silky Faille is more rigid of fabric, and Performance Knit is really stretchy. That means that Silky Faille is generally easier to get words or lines straight, but if something needs adjustment while stapling it, you will most like have to remove a lot of staples and start again. Also, wrinkles are significantly more difficult to remove from Silky Faille and it is recommended to use a "wrinkle release" spray to help.

Performance knit gets rid of wrinkles very easily with just a touch of stretching, but stretch too much and things can get "wavy" looking. If you need to fix some wavy parts, or make adjustments, you can just stretch it a bit more one way or another and just add more staples and most of the time don't have to remove previous staples.

BOTH of them look best when you take your time and can get someone to help you to at least get the staples started. I also tell people to use some masking tape to temporarily hold the fabric in place while you line things up initially. I found it helpful to use a little tape since I was working on larger 24" x 48" panels and didn't have any helpers.
Dave Vaughn and onkal like this.
post #2183 of 2416 Old 02-05-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an update for anyone that is going to be looking for some movie poster/image work. I am doing some deconstruction/reconstruction in my home theater the rest of today and for a good amount of tomorrow (Saturday). I am also traveling out of state for work early Monday morning and won't be back until late Friday the 12th.

I just wanted to let people know that I am going to be fairly unavailable for the next week.
post #2184 of 2416 Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Enjoy your Photoshopping hiatus!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
luisev likes this.
post #2185 of 2416 Old 02-07-2016, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Is there any location that people are hosting these files? I'm just starting to gather mine, but it would be great to have a library of ready to go images to pick from.
post #2186 of 2416 Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Audiophile in Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello! I just found this thread and love what I have seen. My question is, it looks like for the non-stretch quilt grade cotton, it is only 42 inches wide. I was on the Spoonflower site, and I cannot figure out how to make a 24 X 42 inch print. Also, every file I upload, when I do the preview, it all of a sudden puts "copyright" all over the images. How are you folks doing this? Sorry for the dumb questions....

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
post #2187 of 2416 Old 02-08-2016, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDaddy View Post
Hello! I just found this thread and love what I have seen. My question is, it looks like for the non-stretch quilt grade cotton, it is only 42 inches wide. I was on the Spoonflower site, and I cannot figure out how to make a 24 X 42 inch print. Also, every file I upload, when I do the preview, it all of a sudden puts "copyright" all over the images. How are you folks doing this? Sorry for the dumb questions....
ONLY select Performance Knit (stretchy, but has many positives) or Silky Faille (non-stretchy) fabric from Spoonflower.

These are the only 2 that have been confirmed as good. I've done testing with the original and updated (and now gone) Kona Cotton, Performance Pique, and a few others, but PK and SF both are tried and true. SF is 54" wide and PK is 56" wide.
post #2188 of 2416 Old 02-08-2016, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
Is there any location that people are hosting these files? I'm just starting to gather mine, but it would be great to have a library of ready to go images to pick from.

If you mean images that are "finished" with upscaling, cropping, edits, and borders then not really. Nothing has been made "publically" available as far as I know. Everyone that asks for my help wants things just slightly different in one way or another, so pretty much every image ends up getting customized, even if just a bit.
post #2189 of 2416 Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have most of my images selected. I just want to make sure I order right. What size border do I want to put around the poster to fill out the product perfectly on a 24x36 poster? I've seen both 5 and 3 inches in this post. Just don't want to make a stupid mistake.
post #2190 of 2416 Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
I have most of my images selected. I just want to make sure I order right. What size border do I want to put around the poster to fill out the product perfectly on a 24x36 poster? I've seen both 5 and 3 inches in this post. Just don't want to make a stupid mistake.
You don't want to put a border around the image to make it 24" x 36". You want to resize it to something that will yield an image that is larger than 24" x 36" and then crop it to that size. THEN add a border at least 1/2" larger than the thickness of your panel (if your panel is 3" thick, make the border 3.5").

That is the basic idea of what you want to do if you decide to do it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page