DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 371Likes

post #2191 of 2196 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Right I didn't explain myself clear. I'm taking images that are already resized to 24x36 and adding a black border in Photoshop. I was planning on 2 inch thickness. Just wanted to make sure I format the photo right for the website. It also looks like I will need to rotate the photo horizontal. Is there a post with good info on exactly how to order on the site in order to insure a perfect it? I'm sure there is, but it's probably buried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2196 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Gotcha.

So yes, the image needs to be rotated. Be aware that depending on image quality both Windows and Mac default image programs will reduce image quality doing this, so use something that at least doesn't drop quality (Photoshop, GIMP, etc)

Make sure that your images are 150dpi for those 24" x 36" images.

Add a border that is at least 1/2" more than the thickness of the frames (2" frame means 2.5" border, 1.5" frame means 2" border).

Spoonflower will send things to you in full yard increments (36" x ## " where ## is the width of the fabric, again 56" for Performance Knit and 54" for Silky Faille) so you will have more fabric to wrap around the frame. Making the border color half an inch more means that when it wraps around the back you don't see any white/unprinted fabric.

So now you have your image with a border, at the right size and dpi. You the upload it to Spoonflower....
After that, you just need to check a couple of things. First off, make sure that it is set to be Centered at the top right.
Then select your fabric choice (PK or SF)
Then select that you want 1 yard of it.
And bam, put it in your cart for ordering.
Dave Vaughn and rick98761 like this.
post #2193 of 2196 Old Today, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Performance Knit and Silky Faille are the fabric names from Spoonflower.com, where people have been getting their images printed. They both cost the same, Performance Knit is a little bit wider at 56" vs. 54" for Silky Faille. As mentioned above, the Performance Knit is the most acoustically transparent, but for acoustical panels they both work well. Image quality is great with either one.

The biggest difference is the Silky Faille is more rigid of fabric, and Performance Knit is really stretchy. That means that Silky Faille is generally easier to get words or lines straight, but if something needs adjustment while stapling it, you will most like have to remove a lot of staples and start again. Also, wrinkles are significantly more difficult to remove from Silky Faille and it is recommended to use a "wrinkle release" spray to help.

Performance knit gets rid of wrinkles very easily with just a touch of stretching, but stretch too much and things can get "wavy" looking. If you need to fix some wavy parts, or make adjustments, you can just stretch it a bit more one way or another and just add more staples and most of the time don't have to remove previous staples.

BOTH of them look best when you take your time and can get someone to help you to at least get the staples started. I also tell people to use some masking tape to temporarily hold the fabric in place while you line things up initially. I found it helpful to use a little tape since I was working on larger 24" x 48" panels and didn't have any helpers.
Thanks for your detailed explanation.
post #2194 of 2196 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkal View Post
Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Oh, I left out a lot of details, but wanted to give what should be enough to help people make a decision.
onkal likes this.
post #2195 of 2196 Old Today, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone done this for a 2 channel room? I would like to do some panels with musical instruments/artists on them or maybe even album covers blown up to 24x24. I'm not sure where I'd get the images or how to get them to the correct size.
post #2196 of 2196 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure. Acoustically a 2 channel listening room has different acoustical treatment needs than a home theater. In a 2 channel room, if you just do absorption, it will "tighten" things up, but also make the room sound small. This is where diffusion panels (QRD panels actually are what you want) come into play. I am sure that you could put fabric over them, but 2 channel rooms are a completely different beast.

Check out some videos by Acoustic Fields:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AcousticFields

Looks for videos on diffusion. He has at least one out there that talks about configurations for 2 channel listening vs. home theater.

Not saying that you can't go with absorption (and theoretically you should have some), but like how most home theater people have absorption and forget about diffusion because absorption is a higher priority, most 2 channel people have diffusion and forget to add the absorption for the same reason. Diffusion is probably more critical in 2 channel listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page