DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 721Likes

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Well, this is sounding pretty definite that Spoonflower is going to be a problem for any movie posters. A quick Google search yields several other options, but I have no idea how their quality compares, what fabrics they offer, sizes, etc.

Unfortunately, someone who is looking to print images will need to experiment a bit. Maybe find a source and get samples. I may look into some samples (like I was able to get from Spoonflower), just to compare them, but honestly I can't really spend the money on figuring this out for people (way to many bills lately between my daughter's wedding and then a recent massive medical issue for me that the bills are just rolling in for).

I am certainly willing to help out where I can, but just can't afford to pay for samples. Sorry.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
No way you should be paying anything to test the samples. You've already gone above and beyond in helping forum members in this thread.
My question was more generic as in has anyone tried other sites which do digital printing on fabric. I see 3-4 similar sites and many seem to have similar material to performance knit.

Will report back if I have success with any of them.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

For acoustical panels (absorption), really just about any fabric will work. Heck, a lot of the commercial offerings use things borderlining on suede.

As long as the purpose is to absorb sound (which has been like 99.9% of everything in this thread), then that criteria is easy. Just don't use something in front of a speaker without testing, and it should be the most breathable fabric possible (if you don't have a quality mic and testing gear).

The other key criteria is print quality itself. This thread started out with people using a product from Spoonflower called "Kona Cotton." It met the acoustical criteria, and the print quality was good for the time. Then Performance Knit (and shortly there-after, Silky Faille) came out with a new print process and WOW. Black actually looked black, and colors were super vibrant and the image quality was really quite amazing.

Other things to look at are fabric stretch/rigidity, and if needed, color correctness (although this is really more critical for people trying to match particular colors, and no so much for movie posters, so Spoonflower works well for this).

Whenever someone does go out and purchase something, please share the experience of ordering, print quality, etc. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Is Spoonflower rejecting any and all 'movie poster' style artwork, or only 'official' poster art?

I have some original poster art that I purchased from the artist on this thread with the intention of having it printed via spoon flower. Curious if there is any place on the order to specify that I have permission from the artist for this specific purpose...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 AM

There is no textbox from what I know where you can enter notes. I am guessing if they see Disney, Pixar or Warner Bros text on the poster they may cancel the order.

Seems to be a manual review process that takes a few days so may be try calling them up after you submit the order.

@Nick
Thanks for the tip on fabrics. I emailed and got response from fabricondemand.com that their Spun Polyester Spandex Knit is similar to spoonflower performance knit so I might give them a try.

I have heard good reviews about their print quality (better than spoonflower according to some) but the website is not very user friendly.
nickbuol and thrillcat like this.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If you're going for a space theme, I found that NASA has downloads of their 20 x 30 inch Visions of the Future poster series for free. They also indicate they are free for you to print, so I wouldn't think you'd run into copyright issues.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/
nickbuol and dgage like this.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I used a large image of the Milky Way that I got from a NASA site about a year ago. Used it about 2 months ago to cover my fiber option star ceiling. Turned out great. No copyright on space.

Last edited by nickbuol; 08-24-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
If you're going for a space theme, I found that NASA has downloads of their 20 x 30 inch Visions of the Future poster series for free. They also indicate they are free for you to print, so I wouldn't think you'd run into copyright issues.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/
ANY NASA photos and/or videos are public domain, since they're publicly funded.
nickbuol likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 08-27-2016, 07:28 PM

My 1st frame is ready. Drilled a lot of 1" holes into the frame to reduce weight and have some absorption from sides too.

Now waiting for some samples from fabric on demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1626577  
nickbuol and Djoel like this.

Last edited by rawhit; 08-27-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Count me in as one looking for a new substitute. I've tried contacting Warner Brothers to see if they would allow using the pictures for personal use, but I'm pretty sure how this will come back.

I'm willing to be ordering swatches or something if we can from other sites, although I only have the availability to do breath test, no mic or anything for much better testing.

Has anyone tried AliExpress? They have movie poster printed on silk (apparently) for around 10 bucks a piece. It brings the issue of not being extended at all to wrap around the back so that would have to come from the poster itself. Has 24x36 size. Anyone know the acoustic transparancy of silk?

Last edited by scully19; 08-30-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The issue with most silks is that any amount of "stretching" attempted with them tends to badly deform the image. I am sure that the material would be fine for broadband absorption as only a small upper frequency range would be reflected by the fabric itself.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhit View Post
My 1st frame is ready. Drilled a lot of 1" holes into the frame to reduce weight and have some absorption from sides too.

Now waiting for some samples from fabric on demand.
Did you end up ordering a group of samples? Which ones did you get? Did you get test prints on it too?

I was looking to get a few samples myself but want to see what you've done first. Has anyone tried ordering movie prints from them before, so we know if they can or not?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:53 AM

I ordered the "pre-printed swatch kit" that they sell for $25 and has a sample of every fabric they sell, Still waiting for delivery
They are not very clear about what pattern is printed on each swatch. Will call their customer service today to confirm.
There are some other similar sites that I haven't looked at

https://myfabricdesigns.com/
http://www.dpi-sf.com/
https://designyourfabric.com/
Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Just checked with fabricondemand customer service. The pre-printed swatch kit has color wheel printed on it which is good as that is what I was hoping for (easier to compare color quality and blacks).

Also asked them about their most acoustically transparent material. Their recommendation was to go with "Polyester Jersey Knit" which is a light weight non stretch material.
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by rawhit; 09-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:10 PM

That myfabricdesign site looks very good, seems way more user friendly than fabricondemand. I've contacted them to get them recommendation on fabric to print on and might get a swatch ordered from them depending on their answer.

Designyourfabric looks nice too, and is based out of Mississauga, Ontario Canada, which works great for me living nearby. Emailed them as well.
nickbuol likes this.

Last edited by scully19; 09-02-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 892
myfabricdesign has this on the first page of the Upload section. Might be in the same boat as spoonflower

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Old 09-03-2016, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Spoonflower had the same disclaimer on their website for years, but it wasn't until about a month ago that they started checking out what people were submitting...

With that said, I would wager with 99% confidence that it was someone who stumbled on to this exact topic here at AVS that contacted Spoonflower to "report the copyright violation." There are a lot of people that are so "legalistic" that they spoil it for others. Now, if someone here was printing fabric images for profit, even I would jump against that. I guess we've lived in the gray area for so long on this that someone who is black/white about it was bound to report it.
Dave Vaughn and luisev like this.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Spoonflower had the same disclaimer on their website for years, but it wasn't until about a month ago that they started checking out what people were submitting...

With that said, I would wager with 99% confidence that it was someone who stumbled on to this exact topic here at AVS that contacted Spoonflower to "report the copyright violation." There are a lot of people that are so "legalistic" that they spoil it for others. Now, if someone here was printing fabric images for profit, even I would jump against that. I guess we've lived in the gray area for so long on this that someone who is black/white about it was bound to report it.
Couldn't agree more Nick. Frankly, these images should be under "Fair Use" standards as long as someone isn't making $$ off of them (although I guess technically speaking, Spoonflower is.)
nickbuol likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 PM

It's a shame that it seems we are trying to be blocked from something that doesn't exist in the market. I would understand people not wanting to print these fabrics if there is a licensed seller that already makes this stuff. I would happily buy it from someone if it exists, but it doesn't.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:26 PM

I would agree that if someone was profiting out of it or this was competing with an official product, it would have been a different story.

On a happier note, the samples are in! I will put them through thoroughly scientific breath test
and report back.
Pics below
Left to right and top to bottom
  1. 4 Oz Cotton
  2. 6Oz Cotton
  3. 7Oz cotton
  4. 10Oz Cotton
  5. Cotton Twill
  6. Linen Cotton?
  7. Microsuede
  8. Poly Duck
  9. Viole
  10. Fleece
  11. Cotton Sateen
  12. Satin
  13. Polyester Poplin
  14. Poly Diamond Knit
  15. Yoga Jersey Knit
  16. Spandex Knit
  17. Poly Jersey Knit
  18. Lycra
  19. Cotton Lycra
  20. Crepe de Chine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1644993  

Last edited by rawhit; 09-05-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added fabric names
Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice work so far.

Key things that people always look for when I have helped them in the past and all of the fabric testing I did...

1) Black level... Something with really dark blacks.
2) Vibrant colors... People seem to like an image that "pops" more so than even color accuracy.
3) Detail level... Can you see fine details. In some of the samples, it seems like there might be some details in the black circle that stand out more on some than others.
4) A fine weave... Thin threads for a most "smooth" and "poster like" image than thicker textured fabric.
5) Stretch capacity... How much does the fabric stretch, does it distort when stretched, etc.

Of course, they should pass a breath test in my book, but again, they are not a solid surface, and as long as people are doing absorption with their panels, they should ALL work fine. The breath test is more for theoretical acoustical transparency. It is very subjective. That said, with Spoonflower's fabric, Performance Knit was extremely easy to breathe through, the original Kona Cotton used years ago when this thread started was considerably more difficult, and Silky Faille would suffocate you if you were forced to attempt to breathe through it. They ALL worked for absorption panels. The more air that goes through, the theoretical better performance because it allows the insulation to do the absorption vs. potentially reflecting some tiny frequency range due to the lack of transparency, but again, there are more factors in your room drastically creating significant acoustical issues that this really isn't important. Heck, some commercial panels are made with a super thick faux suede material, and they are rated well.

Now if you want to put speaker behind your panels, and you don't have a way to test with a microphone, then yes, you want whatever lets the most air flow through it. Only a few people have done that here, so it is definitely a minimal need, but good to know information.
rawhit likes this.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've also had two orders cancelled by Spoonflower because of copyright reasons (SW posters). Looking for a good alternative. Let me know if I can help in any way.

SB
Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 AM

@Nick
Thanks for the pointers on fabric testing

One thing that I found was that a slightly better version of breathe through test is to just try to talk while the fabric is very close to mouth and either listen for yourself or have someone stand in front and listen for changes in voice quality. This gives a good indication of sound transparency atleast in the vocal zone.

Quick impressions on samples below for sound transparency (unscientific) Rating the sound transparency as high, medium, low.
  • Low - 10Oz Cotton, Cotton Twill, Linen Cotton, Microsuede, Poly Duck, Fleece, Cotton Sateen, Satin
  • Medium - 4Oz Cotton, 6Oz Cotton, 7Oz Cotton, 10Oz Cotton, Yoga Jersey Knit, Lycra
  • High - Polyester Poplin, Poly Diamond Knit, Poly Jersey Knit, Spandex Knit, Cotton Lycra, Viole, Crepe de Chine

Out of the high sound transparency fabrics: Viole, Cotton Lycra, Crepe de Chine are very thin or have poor print quality so I would exclude those.

That leaves Polyester Poplin, Poly Diamond Knit, Poly Jersey Knit, Spandex Knit.
Polyester Poplin - seem to be quite good if you want a non stretch material
Poly Jersey Knit - slight stretch but the colors don't pop.
Spandex Knit -the most sound transparent of all, slight stretch, some black crush. I am leaning towards this.

Summary
  • Best non stretch material - Polyester Poplin
  • Best material with some stretch - Diamond Knit and Spandex Knit. Diamond Knit probably has slight edge in print quality and spandex knit edge in breathability.

I am leaning towards spandex knit. I called the customer service about the slight lack of detail and they mentioned that it might be a specific sample issue. According to them the print quality for that material should be as good as other fabrics.

Will probably order some posters in spandex knit.

Last edited by rawhit; 09-07-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:27 AM

By the way, fabric on demand is substantially more expensive than spoonflower (roughly $35 per yard vs $23 per yard)

Steven, few posts up I have posted some other sites if you want to give them a try.

For fabric on demand, I will order some actual posters and see how they come out.

Last edited by rawhit; 09-07-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:58 PM

I just ordered the standard sample booklet from designyourfabric.com for us Canadian folk. They have a premium sample book as well, but that is basically all silks so I didn't bother. I'll update when they come in.
D.R.Archer and rawhit like this.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I received an email from the company that I would buy the movie poster files ( popular site that I got from this thread), something about the company splitting up or similar. This happened some time ago, I found not find the email, anyone knows the new name of the company or what is the ideal thing to do. I might have had some credit, or might have lost it? Just curious as to where to go for files these days.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
I received an email from the company that I would buy the movie poster files ( popular site that I got from this thread), something about the company splitting up or similar. This happened some time ago, I found not find the email, anyone knows the new name of the company or what is the ideal thing to do. I might have had some credit, or might have lost it? Just curious as to where to go for files these days.

That was MoviePosterDB transitioning to CineMaterial.

you are receiving this email because you were an active user on MoviePosterDB.

You may have noticed some stuff going on with that website. Jonas, the domain name holder, and I decided to split and both have our own movie poster website. He will continue with MoviePosterDB.com, while I've started CineMaterial.com.

Please know that all images, user accounts and credit balances are imported to CineMaterial. This means that you can simply use your existing credentials in order to login and upload to or download from our collection of 750,000+ images.

If you wish to check out CineMaterial, please browse to www.cinematerial.com.
Djoel likes this.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Thanks Grendelrt, that's the email I recall, I've might of deleted it.

Cheers

Dan

Old 09-11-2016, 06:42 AM

I ordered swatches from myfabricdesign.com as well, and I just got an email that this month they give free shipping on custom orders. Might not work for me in Canada but anyone within the states can save a bit of money using them in September.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I have an image size 3840x2400 jpg 474kb size. How big can i go before quality takes a hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement