DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 501Likes

post #2431 of 2439 Old 08-20-2016, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Well, this is sounding pretty definite that Spoonflower is going to be a problem for any movie posters. A quick Google search yields several other options, but I have no idea how their quality compares, what fabrics they offer, sizes, etc.

Unfortunately, someone who is looking to print images will need to experiment a bit. Maybe find a source and get samples. I may look into some samples (like I was able to get from Spoonflower), just to compare them, but honestly I can't really spend the money on figuring this out for people (way to many bills lately between my daughter's wedding and then a recent massive medical issue for me that the bills are just rolling in for).

I am certainly willing to help out where I can, but just can't afford to pay for samples. Sorry.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2439 Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No way you should be paying anything to test the samples. You've already gone above and beyond in helping forum members in this thread.
My question was more generic as in has anyone tried other sites which do digital printing on fabric. I see 3-4 similar sites and many seem to have similar material to performance knit.

Will report back if I have success with any of them.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #2433 of 2439 Old 08-21-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

For acoustical panels (absorption), really just about any fabric will work. Heck, a lot of the commercial offerings use things borderlining on suede.

As long as the purpose is to absorb sound (which has been like 99.9% of everything in this thread), then that criteria is easy. Just don't use something in front of a speaker without testing, and it should be the most breathable fabric possible (if you don't have a quality mic and testing gear).

The other key criteria is print quality itself. This thread started out with people using a product from Spoonflower called "Kona Cotton." It met the acoustical criteria, and the print quality was good for the time. Then Performance Knit (and shortly there-after, Silky Faille) came out with a new print process and WOW. Black actually looked black, and colors were super vibrant and the image quality was really quite amazing.

Other things to look at are fabric stretch/rigidity, and if needed, color correctness (although this is really more critical for people trying to match particular colors, and no so much for movie posters, so Spoonflower works well for this).

Whenever someone does go out and purchase something, please share the experience of ordering, print quality, etc. Thanks.
post #2434 of 2439 Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Is Spoonflower rejecting any and all 'movie poster' style artwork, or only 'official' poster art?

I have some original poster art that I purchased from the artist on this thread with the intention of having it printed via spoon flower. Curious if there is any place on the order to specify that I have permission from the artist for this specific purpose...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #2435 of 2439 Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 AM

There is no textbox from what I know where you can enter notes. I am guessing if they see Disney, Pixar or Warner Bros text on the poster they may cancel the order.

Seems to be a manual review process that takes a few days so may be try calling them up after you submit the order.

@Nick
Thanks for the tip on fabrics. I emailed and got response from fabricondemand.com that their Spun Polyester Spandex Knit is similar to spoonflower performance knit so I might give them a try.

I have heard good reviews about their print quality (better than spoonflower according to some) but the website is not very user friendly.
nickbuol and thrillcat like this.
post #2436 of 2439 Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you're going for a space theme, I found that NASA has downloads of their 20 x 30 inch Visions of the Future poster series for free. They also indicate they are free for you to print, so I wouldn't think you'd run into copyright issues.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/
nickbuol and dgage like this.
post #2437 of 2439 Old 08-24-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I used a large image of the Milky Way that I got from a NASA site about a year ago. Used it about 2 months ago to cover my fiber option star ceiling. Turned out great. No copyright on space.

Last edited by nickbuol; 08-24-2016 at 09:14 AM.
post #2438 of 2439 Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
If you're going for a space theme, I found that NASA has downloads of their 20 x 30 inch Visions of the Future poster series for free. They also indicate they are free for you to print, so I wouldn't think you'd run into copyright issues.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/
ANY NASA photos and/or videos are public domain, since they're publicly funded.
nickbuol likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #2439 of 2439 Old Today, 06:28 PM

My 1st frame is ready. Drilled a lot of 1" holes into the frame to reduce weight and have some absorption from sides too.

Now waiting for some samples from fabric on demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1626577  

Last edited by rawhit; Today at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction