DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 560Likes
post #2521 of 2530 Old 09-25-2016, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
K I got my swatches from myfabricdesigns and these guys actually put on a color spectrum on each piece thankfully. Here's what I found:

Breath test (in random order for each category):
High: Performance Knit, Modern Jersey, Polyester Slub Jersey, Polyester Pongee Silk, Polyester Crepe Jersey, Faux Linen Slub Sheer, Flame Retardent Faux Linen Canvas, Silk Crinkle Linen, Silk Crepe de Chine, Organic Cotton Sateen
Medium: Quadri Performance Sport Knit (borderline high), Faux Linen Slub, Faux Linen Canvas, Interlock Blend, Organic Cotton Jacquard (borderline high), Linen Cotton Canvas, Cotton Silk, Cotton Voile, Organic Cotton Interlock Knit, Cotton Poplin (borderline low), Premium Cotton, Basic Combed Cotton, Polyester Velour
Low: Polyester French Terry, Silky Faille, Heavy Cotton Twill

Printing quality (in random order for each category):
High: Modern Jersey, Polyester Pongee Silk, Polyester French Terry, Silky Faille, Cotton Silk, Heavy Cotton Twill, Organic Cotton Interlock Knit, Organic Cotton Sateen, Cotton Poplin, Basic Combed Cotton
Medium: Performance Knit, Interlock Blend, Silk Crinkle Linen (good colours but possibly too see through and with lines visible), Linen Cotton (same as previous, less see through), Silk Crepe De Chine, Cotton Voile, Premium Cotton
Low: Quadri Performance Sport Knit (lines throughout), Polyester Slub Jersey, Polyester Crepe Jersey, Faux Linen Slub Sheer, Faux Linen Slub (bright colors but visible lines bother me, might not for other people), Flame Retardent Faux Linen (by far worst), Faux Linen Canvas (holes make blurry image), Organic Cotton Jacquard

Using this info, I think there are a few top options.
Modern Jersey - Colours are sharp, well defined lines, very little bleeding of colours, not see through at all really. Fabric is very stretchable if that's something you want, which obviously hurts the print quality. Breathability is high and one of the better for good quality print options.
Polyester Pongee Silk - Basically the same description as Modern Jersey while edging it out ever so slightly in light grey colour as well as breathability. Black not as black though and colours not quite as bright. Medium Stretch
Organic Cotton Sateen - Good colours and black level, odd print shape that looks like the fabric moved in printing that is scaring me away from this one.
Basic Combed Cotton - Really good print quality, colours come out great and next to no bleeding in the text and colour wheel with good black levels. No stretchability. Little bit more see through fabric with slight visible lines up close but not at arms length. Slightly worse breathability, but at the higher end of the medium level for it.

Haven't decided which way I want to go yet. Picture shows the 3 main options IMO.

Not entirely scientific test number 2, i played a movie on my phone and covered the speakers and i honestly didn't really notice a difference between most of the fabrics, outside of the least breathable fabric and even that wasn't a huge deal.

In the end I went with Basic Combed Cotton, mostly because the lines come out crisp and has the least amount of bleeding/blur. I also wanted to get a fabric that doesn't stretch because I don't want to distort the image. Who knows if that's the right call but I think it should perform well enough.

***BONUS*** While these fabrics are already pretty cheap, it is worth noting that they are actually having a sale until the end of Sept for 25% off when you use the coupon code HIP so it comes in even cheaper than that if you order soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_115518.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1683801  
nickbuol, rawhit and ambesolman like this.

Last edited by scully19; 09-26-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2530 Old 09-25-2016, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Very helpful writeup! Would be great to see how these turn out.

I might add 3 more posters to my room and my fabric design seems substantially cheaper than fabric on demand so will probably get the prints here based on your feedback.
post #2523 of 2530 Old 09-25-2016, 03:43 PM

I also got cross spetrum labs calibrated umik-1 and in the process of measuring the in room response with and without the posters to see if it shows up on graphs.
post #2524 of 2530 Old 09-25-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully19 View Post
K I got my swatches from myfabricdesigns and these guys actually put on a color spectrum on each piece thankfully. Here's what I found:

Breath test (in random order for each category):
High: Performance Knit, Modern Jersey, Polyester Slub Jersey, Polyester Pongee Silk, Polyester Crepe Jersey, Faux Linen Slub Sheer, Flame Retardent Faux Linen Canvas, Silk Crinkle Linen, Silk Crepe de Chine, Organic Cotton Sateen
Medium: Quadri Performance Sport Knit (borderline high), Faux Linen Slub, Faux Linen Canvas, Interlock Blend, Organic Cotton Jacquard (borderline high), Linen Cotton Canvas, Cotton Silk, Cotton Voile, Organic Cotton Interlock Knit, Cotton Poplin (borderline low), Premium Cotton, Basic Combed Cotton, Polyester Velour
Low: Polyester French Terry, Silky Faille, Heavy Cotton Twill

Printing quality (in random order for each category):
High: Modern Jersey, Polyester Pongee Silk, Polyester French Terry, Silky Faille, Cotton Silk, Heavy Cotton Twill, Organic Cotton Interlock Knit, Organic Cotton Sateen, Cotton Poplin, Basic Combed Cotton
Medium: Performance Knit, Interlock Blend, Silk Crinkle Linen (good colours but possibly too see through and with lines visible), Linen Cotton (same as previous, less see through), Silk Crepe De Chine, Cotton Voile, Premium Cotton
Low: Quadri Performance Sport Knit (lines throughout), Polyester Slub Jersey, Polyester Crepe Jersey, Faux Linen Slub Sheer, Faux Linen Slub (bright colors but visible lines bother me, might not for other people), Flame Retardent Faux Linen (by far worst), Faux Linen Canvas (holes make blurry image), Organic Cotton Jacquard

Using this info, I think there are a few top options.
Modern Jersey - Colours are sharp, well defined lines, very little bleeding of colours, not see through at all really. Fabric is very stretchable if that's something you want, which obviously hurts the print quality. Breathability is high and one of the better for good quality print options.
Polyester Pongee Silk - Basically the same description as Modern Jersey while edging it out ever so slightly in light grey colour as well as breathability. Black not as black though and colours not quite as bright. Medium Stretch
Organic Cotton Sateen - Good colours and black level, odd print shape that looks like the fabric moved in printing that is scaring me away from this one.
Basic Combed Cotton - Really good print quality, colours come out great and next to no bleeding in the text and colour wheel with good black levels. No stretchability. Little bit more see through fabric with slight visible lines up close but not at arms length. Slightly worse breathability, but at the higher end of the medium level for it.

Haven't decided which way I want to go yet. Picture shows the 3 main options IMO.

Not entirely scientific test number 2, i played a move on my phone and covered the speakers and i honestly didn't really notice a difference between most of the fabrics, outside of the least breathable fabric and even that wasn't a huge deal.

In the end I went with Basic Combed Cotton, mostly because the lines come out crisp and has the least amount of bleeding/blur. I also wanted to get a fabric that doesn't stretch because I don't want to distort the image. Who knows if that's the right call but I think it should perform well enough.

***BONUS*** While these fabrics are already pretty cheap, it is worth noting that they are actually having a sale until the end of Sept for 25% off when you use the coupon code HIP so it comes in even cheaper than that if you order soon.
I like the look of the Modern Jersey. Thanks for taking the time to do all of this.
post #2525 of 2530 Unread 09-26-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I like the look of the Modern Jersey. Thanks for taking the time to do all of this.
I'm rethinking my purchase now too to go with modern jersey. I initially thought it might be better to go with a non-stretch material but have been debating that since I purchased it.

EDIT: So I've called now and am changing it to modern jersey. they are checking to make sure they can go through with it, but sounds like they should be able to because they are so early in the process.

Last edited by scully19; 09-26-2016 at 07:19 AM.
post #2526 of 2530 Unread 09-26-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhit View Post
Very helpful writeup! Would be great to see how these turn out.

I might add 3 more posters to my room and my fabric design seems substantially cheaper than fabric on demand so will probably get the prints here based on your feedback.
If you have any questions to help you out with the swatches let me know and I would be happy to help.

I now have to reorder my posters using the new fabric which I plan to do tonight, so hopefully if there is any objection to using the prints I will get them long before the end of September so that everyone waiting will be able to make their orders still using the 25% off code HIP.
rawhit likes this.
post #2527 of 2530 Unread 09-26-2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks. Nothing specific on swatches. Modern Jersey looks likes lot like "spandex knit" I ordered. Would be good to know how your actual printouts look.

By the way I think stretchy material will be fine. Some advantages I found when working with my frames.
  • Stretching only slightly < 5% doesn't seem to affect the image detail and makes it even more breathable.
  • If you are making your own frames, they may not turn out to be perfect rectangles depending on what tools you have. In my case it was easier to handle slight frame size differences with the stretchy spandex knit.
  • I printed my images 1/2" smaller than actual frame.
  • As you mentioned, some care is needed for the text near frame border to align it properly otherwise rest of the image around the center doesn't show any distortions.

Last edited by rawhit; 09-27-2016 at 08:22 AM.
post #2528 of 2530 Unread 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhit View Post
Thanks. Nothing specific on swatches. Modern Jersey looks likes lot like "spandex knit" I ordered. Would be good to know how your actual printouts look.

By the way I think stretchy material will be fine. Some advantages I found when working with my frames.[LIST][*]Stretching only slightly < 5% doesn't seem to affect the image detail and makes it even more breathable.[*]If you are making your own frames, they may not turn out to be perfect rectangles depending on what tools you have. In my case it was easier to handle slight frame size differences with the stretchy spandex knit[*]I printed my images 1/2" smaller than actual frame.[*]As you mentioned, some care is needed for the text near frame border to align it properly otherwise rest of the image around the center doesn't show any distortions.LIST]
Haha ya this is what I was thinking about and partially why I switched from cotton to modern jersey in order to be able to stretch out to exact spots, while also fixing the possible shrinking which would ruin the whole thing regardless.
nickbuol and rawhit like this.
post #2529 of 2530 Unread Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I also ordered 6 posters from myfabricdesigns with the discount so I await their proofs and shipment date. I ordered Modern Jersey.
Thanks, Scully 19
nickbuol likes this.
post #2530 of 2530 Unread Today, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My apologizes for asking, but when ordering from myfabricdesigns, which material was deemed the best for covering speakers or having the best transparent acoustic quality? I was planning on making poster prints to cover in-wall speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction