DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 950Likes

post #2701 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
Quick question, I hope someone can help.

I'm almost finished building my printed acoustic panels. I held up the printed fabric to the panels, and noticed that you can see the color variations in the OC703 and the wood frame easily through the fabric. The fabric is Silky Faille from Spoonflower.

Basically the fabric is semi-transparent in the white/lighter areas, and I need a way to even out the color behind the fabric. I was thinking of wrapping some white fabric around first, but I haven't seen any posts about doing this, or any posts about this being a problem.

Can someone enlighten me on how to even out the color/texture behind the stretched fabric?

Photos of my almost-complete panels attached.

Thanks!
I've read where you should paint the frame black. I guess it would depend on what your prints are though. Most have a black border around their images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
I've read where you should paint the frame black. I guess it would depend on what your prints are though. Most have a black border around their images.
but what would happen if your pic is light? You would see the black frame even more?
nickbuol likes this.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
post #2703 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
but what would happen if your pic is light? You would see the black frame even more?
I couldn't tell you. I haven't made any yet. I'm just regurgitating what I've previously read. If you have a white border and paint the frame white, I would presume that would be too light and you would also see it. If the material is sheer enough then you're going to see through it regardless of what's under it. You could try to wrap it with another layer of fabric first, but I don't know what affect this would have on the acoustic properties. You could also do what's mentioned in the first post of this thread and try using molding to minimize the contact with the material on the front of the panel.

post #2704 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Ok. ok. ok... Here we go.

Don't paint them black. Not for your situation anyway. I don't think that anyone has done that here. More on this in a second.

If you have a light (or white) image, then paint the frame white. If possible, don't have the OC703 (or whatever material is used) flush right up against the fabric. There will still be a difference between the painted frame and the insulation area, but the color mismatch *should* be less (this was tested by others in this thread a couple of years ago). There is no really good solution for this with light colored images. People have done them in the past and had to deal with a color variation when the frame is. You could try putting on a thin white fabric first, and then your poster image. This might reflect a few sound waves here or there, but the impact for an absorption panel won't be audible to your ears.

As for the frames being black, that is a black border printed on the fabric for 99.99% of all of these panels. The border gets printed, the whole print gets wrapped around your frame, and stapled to the back of the frame.

Another option for that other 0.01% is that some people wrap their image around the insulation, and then just stuff that all inside the frame (painted or stained wood). You get a wooden frame this way, but only a couple people have done this, and you need to plan for it before printing obviously.
post #2705 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
I could also see using spray paint to lightly paint the insulation white, as well as the frame. You could also use some stretchy, light, white fabric from the local fabric store. Pull it tight around the frame so it stretchs (opens pores) and it shouldn't affect the frequency range much though it could reduce the absorption SLIGHTLY of higher frequencies (lower midrange would go right through). Only way to tell a difference is to measure but I wouldn't think it would be much. Everything is a trade-off and in this case the improvement of aesthetics of white over white would be absolutely worth it for me.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2706 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Ok. ok. ok... Here we go.

Don't paint them black. Not for your situation anyway. I don't think that anyone has done that here. More on this in a second.

If you have a light (or white) image, then paint the frame white. If possible, don't have the OC703 (or whatever material is used) flush right up against the fabric. There will still be a difference between the painted frame and the insulation area, but the color mismatch *should* be less (this was tested by others in this thread a couple of years ago). There is no really good solution for this with light colored images. People have done them in the past and had to deal with a color variation when the frame is. You could try putting on a thin white fabric first, and then your poster image. This might reflect a few sound waves here or there, but the impact for an absorption panel won't be audible to your ears.

As for the frames being black, that is a black border printed on the fabric for 99.99% of all of these panels. The border gets printed, the whole print gets wrapped around your frame, and stapled to the back of the frame.

Another option for that other 0.01% is that some people wrap their image around the insulation, and then just stuff that all inside the frame (painted or stained wood). You get a wooden frame this way, but only a couple people have done this, and you need to plan for it before printing obviously.
how did you do with your storms trooper? it s fairly light color.

Pioneer SC-97
post #2707 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I could also see using spray paint to lightly paint the insulation white, as well as the frame. You could also use some stretchy, light, white fabric from the local fabric store. Pull it tight around the frame so it stretchs (opens pores) and it shouldn't affect the frequency range much though it could reduce the absorption SLIGHTLY of higher frequencies (lower midrange would go right through). Only way to tell a difference is to measure but I wouldn't think it would be much. Everything is a trade-off and in this case the improvement of aesthetics of white over white would be absolutely worth it for me.
Yup, pretty much on the mark with the added fabric (we both managed to post that one). Some people have spray painted their rigid insulation and noticed a much more reflective and non-absorbent effect. Now, I don't recall what product they were using, or even know where that is buried in this thread, but it is their. They may have also added a ton of paint for all I know, but you (not you specifically dgage, but the proverbial "you") do run the risk of creating a hard reflective sound barrier on front on your insulation. I know that you (dgage) mentioned a light spraying, but I would be worried that someone out there might get a little gung-ho and put on too much paint.

The fabric is probably the "safest" bet.
post #2708 of 2998 Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
how did you do with your storms trooper? it s fairly light color.
I don't have a storm trooper one. I might have created the artwork or edited an image for someone else, but I don't have any movie themed items in my theater.
post #2709 of 2998 Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Whats another coming that does the fabric printing other than spoon flower. They refunded my order due to copyright issues.
post #2710 of 2998 Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Whats another coming that does the fabric printing other than spoon flower. They refunded my order due to copyright issues.
Other have used:
https://myfabricdesigns.com
post #2711 of 2998 Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Couldn't you build a second frame to attach around the first frame after the print is secured to the first, interior frame? It seems like the rigidity and uniformity of the interior frame with insulation inside of it would be easier to work with than trying to wrap the image print around insulation standing alone. My suggested second frame attached to the outside of the interior frame could be stained, painted black, or painted any other color now that the print is totally inside of it. Maybe that's easier said than done though.
nickbuol likes this.
post #2712 of 2998 Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
My Fabric Designs, as Xylem mentioned above, and another one I saw mentioned earlier was Fabric on Demand. I haven't used either of them, so can't vouch for them though. I'll be looking into this today as well to print mine.

Setup: Epson Home Cinema 5030 UB 3D projector, 150" SilverTicket STR-169150 screen, Xbox One Blu-ray, Denon AVR S510BT 5.2 Channel AV Receiver, Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers, Pioneer SW-8 100 Watt RMS Subwoofer
post #2713 of 2998 Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
Couldn't you build a second frame to attach around the first frame after the print is secured to the first, interior frame? It seems like the rigidity and uniformity of the interior frame with insulation inside of it would be easier to work with than trying to wrap the image print around insulation standing alone. My suggested second frame attached to the outside of the interior frame could be stained, painted black, or painted any other color now that the print is totally inside of it. Maybe that's easier said than done though.
Sure could. That would be the same thing that the 99.99% of people are currently doing, but just tacking on a 2nd frame. I would say that if you were going to paint that outside frame, then it might not be worth the time/cost for most. If you wanted a stained wood look, then it would be a good option. Obviously you would need to spend a little more time doing it like a carpentry project to make the final product look nice, be you could absolutely do that.

I've done a few images (maybe about a year ago) for someone that wanted their movie poster images to look like they were inside a frame, so I just made it so that part of the black border (which could be any color/design anyone wants) was on the front face of their frame. If I remember correctly, the request was for a 1" black border on the front face, plus the border that wrapped around the side and to the back for stapling. Gave the look of a traditional movie poster being inside a traditional poster frame (thicker of course) while not requiring 2 layers of frame material, paint, better woodworking skills, etc.

All sorts of options, which is what makes this whole thing pretty cool. The worst border to do, but looked cool when complete, were a "gallery wrap" where the AVS user wanted the 100% of the image to be just on the face of the frame, but then the border for the sides to be a slightly blurred, mirror image, of the edge of the main image. Sounds straightforward enough, but getting everything just right for the border of the 10 or so images took longer than the enlargements, resizing, and edits to the images themselves. Again, it looked cool when wrapped around the frame, but that project was one of the reasons that I started "charging" for anything beyond enlarging, cropping, and adding of a solid color border. Yup, I used to do anything for free. That one project took several hours each day for a few days to get done right (to my standards as a perfectionist).
post #2714 of 2998 Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
I did something similar but I stacked the frame with the print on top of frame that I painted black. I used cleats on the inside to hold them together plus hold the insulation in. I think the black frame really makes them stand out.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baseframes.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1876249   Click image for larger version

Name:	assembleddetailinside.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1876257   Click image for larger version

Name:	finishedpanel.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1876265  
GatorBlues likes this.
post #2715 of 2998 Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
^^^^^^^
This guy must be new around here. LOL

Just kidding around.

Yup. I do all sorts of image editing, as mentioned even just a few posts before yours, for people on AVS.
Just takes shooting me a PM, then I give you my email address, you send an email with images, sizes (height, width, and depth of your frames, as precisely as possible), plus list any edits that you want.

I take it from there for the image creation piece.
Nick, I'd like to use your services for some images. Can you PM me your email address?
post #2716 of 2998 Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Really excited to have found this thread, having some art on the walls that serves a dual purpose is a great idea!
nickbuol likes this.
post #2717 of 2998 Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Does someone have some Australian Brands, Links, etc.

Can fabric be sourced from Spotlight?

Also whats the a similar product to Owens 703 Semi-rigid board?

Thanks lads!
post #2718 of 2998 Old 01-14-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
Does someone have some Australian Brands, Links, etc.

Can fabric be sourced from Spotlight?

Also whats the a similar product to Owens 703 Semi-rigid board?

Thanks lads!
OC703, Roxul Rockboard 60 and after I don't know. These are the major brands.
hatlesschimp likes this.

Pioneer SC-97
post #2719 of 2998 Old 01-14-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What are people using behind their AT Screens?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
post #2720 of 2998 Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
What are people using behind their AT Screens?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
There are a number of approaches here. I have floor to ceiling corner bass traps, and then the rest of the wall, pretty much floor to ceiling, and in-between the bass traps, I am using denim insulation covered in fabric. It is a bit "puffy" looking, but I basically attached a stud wall of framing on top of the regular wall, filled it with the denim insulation, and covered it with black breathable fabric that I stapled in place. It really helped to deaden the front of the room nicely. It is sort of like making 16 inch wide x 8 feet tall acoustical panels that was against the wall, butted up side by side, using thicker wood, and covered with a couple of overlapping sheets of fabric.

Others use a product called Linacoustic and attach it directly to the wall.

And yet others who are getting really serious will make a baffle wall behind their AT screen that has acoustical treatments inside that wall area and just cutouts for their speakers. This costs the most, takes probably the most time (and planning), and usually is reserved for people that are working with an audio design company.
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #2721 of 2998 Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are a number of approaches here. I have floor to ceiling corner bass traps, and then the rest of the wall, pretty much floor to ceiling, and in-between the bass traps, I am using denim insulation covered in fabric. It is a bit "puffy" looking, but I basically attached a stud wall of framing on top of the regular wall, filled it with the denim insulation, and covered it with black breathable fabric that I stapled in place. It really helped to deaden the front of the room nicely. It is sort of like making 16 inch wide x 8 feet tall acoustical panels that was against the wall, butted up side by side, using thicker wood, and covered with a couple of overlapping sheets of fabric.

Others use a product called Linacoustic and attach it directly to the wall.

And yet others who are getting really serious will make a baffle wall behind their AT screen that has acoustical treatments inside that wall area and just cutouts for their speakers. This costs the most, takes probably the most time (and planning), and usually is reserved for people that are working with an audio design company.
Yeah think this is the same way I will go. Thanks mate!
post #2722 of 2998 Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@nickbuol I start it tomorrow 👍 😀. Thanks

nickbuol likes this.
post #2723 of 2998 Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Argh!!...

I haven't been actively posting in several years, since I built my previous HT. Started getting engaged in reading various threads when I started building my new home, but was spending most of my time in building, not in posting.

I just spent the last two days running through this thread - loved the idea of making my poster art also be my acoustical treatments, and came to the last few pages wherein SpoonFlower started rejecting files due to copyright concerns.

...the wounds in my wrists are healing, but it will take some time.

A few questions for those of you who have been involved for a while:
? Is Spoonflower rejecting Movie Posters, or any type of poster art (i.e. I'm editing images in Photoshop to make minimalistic-type art (single images that are iconic of movies, and are often from posters, but aren't the movie posters themselves. For instance, a monochromatic image of the iconic Ring from LOTR, or of Vader with a saber for SW, etc.), are they still skittish or do they print?

? I saw the cloth that people suggested for use with Spoonflower. What alternatives from other printers are suggested (I know there are a couple different printer options, but do we have any good results from people regarding the different cloths offered by each of these competitors? How good are the prints and how good is their cloth for Acoustical Transparency?)

? Finally, a question directly to Nickboul: Awesome job on offering services to people on the thread - I've read a bunch of your contributions, and wanted to give you mad props for that! I've been using Photoshop since ver 2 almost 20 years ago, and know that the work takes time, diligence and skill (I did it originally as a photo editor when doing wedding photography, then for building images for website design...now I 'play' with Photoshop CC 15 for my photo-art hobby and when I need images for presentations in my job). I was thinking of doing my own edits, but potentially leveraging your ability to enlarge the images once done with your other application. Would it be better for me to edit before you enlarge, or after? My initial thought was "always edit content after enlarging" but then I thought about how big the files may be for emailing back and forth...thoughts?

Anyway, awesome thread and I'm excited to make some decorative wall treatments! Thanks to everyone for their contributions
-handcuff

New build: Cedar Creek Home Theater (working name) Construction Thread
Old Theater from previous home: Starting 'The Underground' Theater - My construction threads - Finishing 'The Underground' Theater

Last edited by handcuff; 01-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #2724 of 2998 Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 242
My fabric from Spoonflower finally arrived today. Not their fault. This is me delaying and putting it off and hesitating. I'm pleased. Thanks to Nick, like with everyone else here it seems.

I have many more images that I want to print, but this will be a good first batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickbuol, siuengr and mtbdudex like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #2725 of 2998 Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcuff View Post
Argh!!...

I haven't been actively posting in several years, since I built my previous HT. Started getting engaged in reading various threads when I started building my new home, but was spending most of my time in building, not in posting.

I just spent the last two days running through this thread - loved the idea of making my poster art also be my acoustical treatments, and came to the last few pages wherein SpoonFlower started rejecting files due to copyright concerns.

...the wounds in my wrists are healing, but it will take some time.

A few questions for those of you who have been involved for a while:
? Is Spoonflower rejecting Movie Posters, or any type of poster art (i.e. I'm editing images in Photoshop to make minimalistic-type art (single images that are iconic of movies, and are often from posters, but aren't the movie posters themselves. For instance, a monochromatic image of the iconic Ring from LOTR, or of Vader with a saber for SW, etc.), are they still skittish or do they print?

? I saw the cloth that people suggested for use with Spoonflower. What alternatives from other printers are suggested (I know there are a couple different printer options, but do we have any good results from people regarding the different cloths offered by each of these competitors? How good are the prints and how good is their cloth for Acoustical Transparency?)

? Finally, a question directly to Nickboul: Awesome job on offering services to people on the thread - I've read a bunch of your contributions, and wanted to give you mad props for that! I've been using Photoshop since ver 2 almost 20 years ago, and know that the work takes time, diligence and skill (I did it originally as a photo editor when doing wedding photography, then for building images for website design...now I 'play' with Photoshop CC 15 for my photo-art hobby and when I need images for presentations in my job). I was thinking of doing my own edits, but potentially leveraging your ability to enlarge the images once done with your other application. Would it be better for me to edit before you enlarge, or after? My initial thought was "always edit content after enlarging" but then I thought about how big the files may be for emailing back and forth...thoughts?

Anyway, awesome thread and I'm excited to make some decorative wall treatments! Thanks to everyone for their contributions
-handcuff
Almost missed this shout out for me to answer. My stinkin' name has the u and o "backwards" from most english words.... Just kidding, I would have read it anyway.

Ever since the "poster ban" at Spoonflower, I've had 2 different requests for image work where they were sort of artistic takes on movie elements, like what you are talking about, where the customers wanted to print as Spoonflower. Both went through just fine. All of the others have resorted to other sites outside of Spoonflower, and have had good success too. I will let them chime in with their own experiences.

As to your question directed at me, I would get them enlarged first and then edit them. You could miss something that is just a couple of pixels and then when it gets enlarged it could really expand into something that you will need to touch up again.

Shoot me a PM (I got on tonight and have 4 new PMs, so maybe you already did), and I will get you my email address. Just shoot me the images and what the final size and dpi that you want. I will get them back to you for you to work them up how you want.
post #2726 of 2998 Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
@nickbuol - let me know your favorite brew or beverage as I'm getting you something nice when I meet you in KC. You're the man!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2727 of 2998 Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Almost missed this shout out for me to answer. My stinkin' name has the u and o "backwards" from most english words.... Just kidding, I would have read it anyway.

Ever since the "poster ban" at Spoonflower, I've had 2 different requests for image work where they were sort of artistic takes on movie elements, like what you are talking about, where the customers wanted to print as Spoonflower. Both went through just fine. All of the others have resorted to other sites outside of Spoonflower, and have had good success too. I will let them chime in with their own experiences.

As to your question directed at me, I would get them enlarged first and then edit them. You could miss something that is just a couple of pixels and then when it gets enlarged it could really expand into something that you will need to touch up again.

Shoot me a PM (I got on tonight and have 4 new PMs, so maybe you already did), and I will get you my email address. Just shoot me the images and what the final size and dpi that you want. I will get them back to you for you to work them up how you want.
Thanks, and sorry for missing the spelling of your name.
I'll send a PM once I get a couple examples of images that show what I'm talking about. Hopefully this weekend, if the wife doesn't give me too many Honey-do's.
-HC
post #2728 of 2998 Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Was searching to buy printed acoustic panels but after seeing this I'm going to try it out myself to, thanks for charing!
post #2729 of 2998 Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently ordered 7 DIY pre-assembled frames from Acoustimac.com (http://www.acoustimac.com/wf-422-diy-wood-frame-48x24x2). Here are my initial thoughts after receiving them:

1. Exterior of frames is 4x2. I would have preferred that be the interior dimensions so I could drop a standard OC703 sheet inside it.

2. Some of the boards appear slightly bowed. This is probably due to the light wood used. I'm hoping the square out once I fill with OC 703 material.

3. Not sure how well a standard size movie poster will look, since the width and height are different proportions.

Will the movie posters look awkward at this size? I'm planning on using 4 for the posters and 3 for one picture.
@nickbuol - would you be able to assist with resizing?

Let me know thanks

Matt

post #2730 of 2998 Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Mrb222
They is unfortunate about the bowing. OC703 is nice and rigid, so it should help to square things up.

As for the images, regular movie posters won't work for that size. There are ways around this and personally I like the look of the 2' x 4' image sizes.
I would need to see what you are looking for, but something without text on it would be best. You can find images without text, or I could remove text for you, they just won't/can't look like traditional posters, but that is OK.
Mrb222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction