DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 842Likes

post #2791 of 2813 Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward216 View Post
Sorry, I'm late to the party.
1) Is it still possible to have poster art printed?
2) Would someone send me art that's already optimized? I've seen plenty of great examples on here I'd like to own. No need to pick artwork that's new.
Thanks.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
I think several will be happy to help, but some clarity may get people inspired to help:
  • Do you have a 'theme' you'd prefer? (Science Fiction, Iconic films, etc) or possibly a color theme (dark posters vs. light/colorful posters) or maybe old-time (think black-and-white movie ads)?
  • What size do you want your posters? The most common around here is 24" (wide) by 36" (tall) - which ends up being a bit larger of a print (accounting for the wooden border and the wrap-around needs), but there are MANY who have posters of different sizes. Orientation (landscape vs. portrait) is important also. I have 6 different sized posters myself, and have need for portrait and landscape images.
  • Are there specific movies or art you like? For instance, Star Wars is a common theme in the thread...they may not have the exact image you thought of for star wars, but they may have *something* from star wars that they'd be willing to share.
Good luck!
nickbuol likes this.

New build: Cedar Creek Home Theater (working name) Construction Thread
Old Theater from previous home: Starting 'The Underground' Theater - My construction threads - Finishing 'The Underground' Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2813 Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by handcuff View Post
I think several will be happy to help, but some clarity may get people inspired to help:
  • Do you have a 'theme' you'd prefer? (Science Fiction, Iconic films, etc) or possibly a color theme (dark posters vs. light/colorful posters) or maybe old-time (think black-and-white movie ads)?
  • What size do you want your posters? The most common around here is 24" (wide) by 36" (tall) - which ends up being a bit larger of a print (accounting for the wooden border and the wrap-around needs), but there are MANY who have posters of different sizes. Orientation (landscape vs. portrait) is important also. I have 6 different sized posters myself, and have need for portrait and landscape images.
  • Are there specific movies or art you like? For instance, Star Wars is a common theme in the thread...they may not have the exact image you thought of for star wars, but they may have *something* from star wars that they'd be willing to share.
Good luck!
Hi, I don't have a size preference. I'll take what's available. My room is 22dx25wx8h with a 120" screen. I do really like the blurred storm trooper and the 3 piece xwing fighter.
Where can I get printing done? Thanks.

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
post #2793 of 2813 Old 02-13-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Hi, I don't have a size preference. I'll take what's available. My room is 22dx25wx8h with a 120" screen. I do really like the blurred storm trooper and the 3 piece xwing fighter.
Where can I get printing done? Thanks.

Printing can be done a few different places, depending on what you are printing. Spoonflower was the recommended place for printing, and probably remains the printer of choice for many (assuming you are printing your own art). A good alternative is MyFabricDesigns.com for a wider range of art. There are multiple fabrics that are 'good' for each site, depending on what your specific needs are - there seems to be a few different criteria that are weighted differently: Acoustical Transparency, quality of print (color, vibrancy, detail), stretchability (some want it to stretch, some don't), and cost. from what I've seen, it looks like the 'average' is aprox $25/linear yard (typical print width is ~48-58 inches for a roll, and they can run as many yards off the roll as you want), but the prices and print widths differ based on the fabric you select and the printer you chose.

If you are interested in looking at some customized images (less of a copyright concern), you may look at http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220892

Good luck!
-Scott
nickbuol and smoovranger like this.

Old Theater from previous home: Starting 'The Underground' Theater - My construction threads - Finishing 'The Underground' Theater

post #2794 of 2813 Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Image Work Update!

Just a quick note that I've been tasked with a very large project that is going to consume a LOT of my time to complete for someone here at AVS. It is a pretty exciting take on the whole acoustical panel idea. ... If I have the images from someone, and they don't need anything re-worked, it takes about 30 minutes to go through about 4 images assuming everything is perfect. That almost never happens, and I end up touching a few things up, fixing colors/contrast/etc, and minor touch-ups
@Nick B uol -
Heya, hopefully the large project is going well and that it's keeping you engaged! I'm excited to see what you are working on (when you are ready to share).
I sent you a PM regarding getting some shots expanded. I think many of them are images you've already done, and I can do the color/tweaking edits to the rest (Photoshop's tool for expanding art is sub-par though, so I need help in that arena). I've downloaded the highest resolution image for each of these that I can find and should be able to do the edits myself after they are at 'printable' sizes, so I am hoping this will be as little of an impact as possible (then again, I understand that your time is valuable, and if you don't have time right now, let me know).

Anyway, let me know what's best for you. I appreciate it!
-Scott

post #2795 of 2813 Old 02-13-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Hey, sorry. I haven't been on the forums since last Thursday night (today being Monday early evening) due to traveling out of town to Memphis for the weekend. I was in New York and Little Rock Monday - Thursday of last week as well. All project/image work came to a quick "pause."

I have some things to work on tonight for work, but will see if I can take a look at the backlogged requests for image work. Hopefully I can get through the next phase of the large project that I am working as well... Stripping key image elements out from their current backgrounds so that I can reuse them. I'm about 2/3 of the way through that, and then I can finally tonal match things and start the massive copy/paste process.

I will try to work in the smaller projects as time permits. Things are just super busy. Tomorrow being Valentine's Day, I will be taking care of my wife for the evening, and we have people in town from overseas for work, so we have a team dinner/get-together on Wednesday, so a few more delays out there potentially.

I am working hard to get to everyone's requests, but sometimes life gets super hectic. Please be patient with me.
handcuff and DougUSMC like this.
post #2796 of 2813 Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
...If you are interested in looking at some customized images (less of a copyright concern), you may look at http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220892
Thanks, just what i was looking for. Any chance of using post #1 to collate this info up front?

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
post #2797 of 2813 Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got around to completing my panels this past weekend. First, I want to thank everyone that has posted great tips and tricks for this awesome DIY project. Most importantly I want to thank Nick @nickbuol ) for dedicating his personal time to provide assistance with image setup. That was by far the most daunting aspect of getting this done.

Like many, I struggled with my "theme" and spent many hours downloading hires images from many of the recommended bluray forums. I must have saved 100 different posters before settling on 6. Basically, I went with my classic favorites and kept the colors as consistent as possible.

I started by mocking up the images in SnagIt program to help visualize the final product:

I sent my hi res pics to @nickbuol for cleanup and resizing. Amazingly he turned everything around in a few days while he was traveling for work.

Fabric Order:
I placed my fabric order on Spoonflower and made sure to use generic names for all my file.s I'm not sure if this helped prevent my order from being canceled. I thought if they saw BackToFuture.jpg it may raise suspicion. Who knows, but I there was no delay.

Tools:
I really didn't want to hand staple the fabric, so this was a PERFECT excuse to buy an air compressor (this is why my wife hates when I have projects). I picked up the Porter Cable that came w/ Stapler, Finisher, and Brad guns. This was by FAR the best purchase I ever made. I was nailing things all over the house afterwards.

Frames:
I read on earlier posts that some people purchased DIY 24x48x2 frames online from acoustimac.com. I decided for 15.00 each it was a perfect way to limit the amount of work (WRONG).. I ordered frames with no backing because I read here that having an air gap is preferred. The problem is the frames are cut from 1/2" plywood and assembled, so thee was significant bowing. If I chose them with a backing it probably would have squared them up.

There were a few that were worse than this one:

To square the frames up and provide a small air gap, I bought some 2"x24" pine strips and some 3/4x3 wood for top and bottom:

Cut some 23" scrap to help square the frames in advance:

Assembled the frames with my handy new nail gun:

I also, purchased 1/4 inch round molding to help fabric roll over the sides:

Insulation:
I had enough sheets of 2" OC703 to stuff the frames with.

Pre-Wrap fabric:
I decided to pre wrap the frames with 10 yards of Joanna Fabric Jet Set material to contain insulation and also prevent wood from showing through. It too a couple attempts to get the process right.

Final Wrap:
We have a ping pong table that we place on our pool table, which worked as the perfect base to work on. I found a system for wrapping the worked well for me. The material was forgiving and I was able to make mild adjustments after the fabric was on.

I had to run back to hardware store after running out of staples. Make sure you get ALOT.

I'm am very happy with my final product.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Tools:
nickbuol, Randybw1, dgage and 4 others like this.
post #2798 of 2813 Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb222 View Post
I got around to completing my panels this past weekend. First, I want to thank everyone that has posted great tips and tricks for this awesome DIY project. Most importantly I want to thank Nick @nickbuol ) for dedicating his personal time to provide assistance with image setup. That was by far the most daunting aspect of getting this done.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Tools:
Great Job! looks amazing!

What size staples did you use? I couldn't find smaller than 1/2 for my gun.

Good job on the pre-wrapping with the white fabric. FYI, I found the fabric cheaper at w@lm@rt.

Which Fabric did you use from Spoonflower?

Last one, what method did you use to attach the panel to the wall?

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
Custom Acoustic Panels
post #2799 of 2813 Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
Great Job! looks amazing!

What size staples did you use? I couldn't find smaller than 1/2 for my gun.

Good job on the pre-wrapping with the white fabric. FYI, I found the fabric cheaper at w@lm@rt.

Which Fabric did you use from Spoonflower?

Last one, what method did you use to attach the panel to the wall?

I think ended up paying around $3 per yard on sale at Joann's. It was definitely a good move which I'm glad I saw a few others like yourself do.

I was able to get 5/16" staples from Home Depot:

For the fabric I used Performance Knit. I really liked the quality and the ability to mildly adjust the fabric if needed after it was fitted.

For hanging, I received Z clips with the frames from Acoustimac.com. Although they are only temporarily hanging now with a Sheetrock screw, I'll be permanently hanging them this week with the clips:

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Randybw1, xylem and Sundodger like this.
post #2800 of 2813 Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm am very happy with my final product.

Everything looks great now that you have them assembled (those pre-made frames were a bit wonky, but you handled the bracing nicely.

Did the Falcon image print out that dark? Seems like it lost some detail in the ship, or is that just the picture that was posted?

I know that the original image was dark for the top/back of the Falcon due to the bright/blown out star/sun in the upper left corner, but you should still be able to see some detail. If not, it might be worth contacting Spoonflower for a reprint.

Here is the sample size (click the attached file) that I sent you of the full size image so that people can see what I am talking about... I just want everyone to be happy, even if I have no control over the printing process itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAMPLE-Falcon1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	1968705  
post #2801 of 2813 Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Did the Falcon image print out that dark? Seems like it lost some detail in the ship, or is that just the picture that was posted?

I know that the original image was dark for the top/back of the Falcon due to the bright/blown out star/sun in the upper left corner, but you should still be able to see some detail. If not, it might be worth contacting Spoonflower for a reprint.

Here is the sample size (click the attached file) that I sent you of the full size image so that people can see what I am talking about... I just want everyone to be happy, even if I have no control over the printing process itself.
I didn't realize how much detail was lost until I looked at your orig image. Personally, I think I like the 'darker' image, as it seems less focused on the ship and more focused on where it's going, but that's a total personal preference.

post #2802 of 2813 Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks, just what i was looking for. Any chance of using post #1 to collate this info up front?
I don't think Luma has been active for about 3 1/2 months, so probably not.
The only reason I responded is I went through the thread a few times to get the same information I posted. I didn't have all the details in front of me (which fabrics from Spoonflower vs. which fabrics from MyFabricDesigns.com vs. other fabric printers). A few pages back, a few people went through the different fabrics and gave some detailed feedback regarding what they had suggestions towards - this was on MyFabricDesign, Spoonflower has a two fabrics that are considered the 'go-to' choices for ordering from them.

post #2803 of 2813 Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely correct!! It's not the picture, it is darker. I didn't even notice it, but glad you pointed it out. Beyond the details of the falcon, I am noticing the missing blue colors from the sunset.

I'm going to email Spoonflower now to see what response I get back. Has anyone been successful getting reprints? I would need to reprint all three if they get lightened up.

post #2804 of 2813 Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct!! It's not the picture, it is darker. I didn't even notice it, but glad you pointed it out. Beyond the details of the falcon, I am noticing the missing blue colors from the sunset.

I'm going to email Spoonflower now to see what response I get back. Has anyone been successful getting reprints? I would need to reprint all three if they get lightened up.

Curious to see what they say. Keep us posted!

Pioneer SC-97
Custom Acoustic Panels
post #2805 of 2813 Old 02-17-2017, 09:40 PM

Well, I finished more of my frames last night (I now have a total of 19 - there are a few different shapes for different needs in the video room) - 5 of the ones completed so far will just be covered with black and be on the front wall, behind the TV and speakers. Eventually, there will be a total of 12 up there, but I'm not building the rest for a week or so.

Most importantly, I ordered my prints today for my main panels, my smaller panels (they will go directly above the 'mains') and my 'odds' - those that will be embedded into the sliding doors, and are of different sizes. Here's my 'order' file - let's see how well they turn out.
On a side note, if you are ordering from MyFabricDesigns.com in the month of Feb, you can use "red25" as a coupon code to get 25% off your order. =)

The walls in the theater will have two panels - a larger one 24wx36t on 'bottom' and a smaller one 24wx12t a few inches above that.
Here's a general layout of the walls/stage/etc.:
nickbuol, Randybw1, dgage and 1 others like this.

post #2806 of 2813 Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've seen others do the "small/large" images stacked before (like your Cars/Deadpool, Gump/LOTR, etc) but not for different movies like that. It will be a cool twist to get even more variety into the room. Final pictures are a must, of course.
post #2807 of 2813 Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I finished more of my frames last night (I now have a total of 19 - there are a few different shapes for different needs in the video room) - 5 of the ones completed so far will just be covered with black and be on the front wall, behind the TV and speakers. Eventually, there will be a total of 12 up there, but I'm not building the rest for a week or so.

Most importantly, I ordered my prints today for my main panels, my smaller panels (they will go directly above the 'mains') and my 'odds' - those that will be embedded into the sliding doors, and are of different sizes. Here's my 'order' file - let's see how well they turn out.
On a side note, if you are ordering from MyFabricDesigns.com in the month of Feb, you can use "red25" as a coupon code to get 25% off your order. =)

The walls in the theater will have two panels - a larger one 24wx36t on 'bottom' and a smaller one 24wx12t a few inches above that.
Here's a general layout of the walls/stage/etc.:
Which material did you pick from my fabric design?

Pioneer SC-97
Custom Acoustic Panels
post #2808 of 2813 Old 02-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Well, I finished more of my frames last night (I now have a total of 19 - there are a few different shapes for different needs in the video room) - 5 of the ones completed so far will just be covered with black and be on the front wall, behind the TV and speakers. Eventually, there will be a total of 12 up there, but I'm not building the rest for a week or
I hate to say but I can't put a name on the "robot head" poster, where is it from?

[EDIT] Nevermind, Halo!! Master Chief !!

Pioneer SC-97
Custom Acoustic Panels
post #2809 of 2813 Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
I hate to say but I can't put a name on the "robot head" poster, where is it from?

[EDIT] Nevermind, Halo!! Master Chief !!
Yep. Halo. Both a movie and an awesome video game. It's one of the few games I play regularly, and have played for the last 13 years.

post #2810 of 2813 Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yep. Halo. Both a movie and an awesome video game. It's one of the few games I play regularly, and have played for the last 13 years.
so which Fabric did you chose from Myfabricdesign?

Pioneer SC-97
Custom Acoustic Panels
post #2811 of 2813 Old 02-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Modern Jersey or some such...it's stretchy but good print quality and I can work with stretchy. =)
post #2812 of 2813 Old 02-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I've seen others do the "small/large" images stacked before (like your Cars/Deadpool, Gump/LOTR, etc) but not for different movies like that. It will be a cool twist to get even more variety into the room. Final pictures are a must, of course.
I almost did that...poster on bottom and a scene on top, but we have six in our family and it was difficult limiting the movies we are showcasing. This let us expand it to almost double, and we still dropped a few we really wanted.

It was actually another post on here that got me thinking about it as a way to not waste fabric or OC703
nickbuol likes this.
post #2813 of 2813 Old Today, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great thread here guys, thanks to everyone for all the information. I ordered 6 prints of NASA/satellite images from spoonflower yesterday. I accidentally picked basic repeat instead of center, but I think it'll be okay since the preview looks pretty much identical. If the images turn out well I'll be happy to share them (some needed significant work to make them fit the 48x24 space).

Also, I ordered a swatch pack from a Toronto company called Art of Where (they ship to the USA too). I'll post again when it comes in with my impressions and compare it to the performance knit from Spoonflower. I'll try to get some movie/sports posters printed and see if they are picky about copyright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page