DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 861Likes
post #2821 of 2832 Unread 02-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
I would be interested in your review of the material from Art of Where, So please share. I am in Toronto (although I see this company is in Quebec), so at least I will be paying Canadian Dollars.
Myself as well. I'm just getting started with my research on this, what a great thread. The panels you've made look fantastic and a big thank you to you all for the great information, now to digest it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2832 Unread 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I would be interested in your review of the material from Art of Where, So please share. I am in Toronto (although I see this company is in Quebec), so at least I will be paying Canadian Dollars.
Lucky you guys, the samples from https://artofwhere.com/ were in my mailbox today and yeah they are in Quebec, I must have confused them with another place I was looking at.

There are 9 fabrics in the sample pack, here they are ranked by how hard it was to breathe through them, 0 being nothing in front and 10 being my hand blocking my mouth:

Breathability

1 Poly Chiffon - almost like nothing at all
2 Spun Poly - quite easy

3 Silky Knit - This next group of 4 fabrics were still quite good. I also held them up in front of the tweeter on my speakers and played some music, sounded fine.
3 Performance Spandex
4 Poly Canvas
4 Swimsuit Knit

7 Poly Twill - These 3 fabrics were thick enough I'm not going to bother doing any other ranks for them, though I will say the heavy satin looks the best of all the fabrics (it's glossy though).
7 Velveteen - Absorbs the most light
9 Heavy Satin

Colour

1 Performance Spandex - brightest by far, and all around good colour

2 Swimsuit Knit - This group's white is a touch dimmer than the spandex's
2 Poly Canvas

4 Silky Knit - Whites and Blacks both a little greyer than the above ones
4 Spun Poly

6 Poly Chiffon - This one suffers from being nearly transparent. You can make the black better by putting something black behind it I guess.

Detail

At arm's length they all looked decent. The top 4 for sure I think would be totally fine detail wise.

1 Performance Spandex - the weave does give the appearance of lines when up close.
2 Swimsuit Knit
3 Spun Poly
4 Silky Knit - the weave does give the appearance of lines when up close.
6 Poly Canvas - this one lacked detail because of the canvas weave. But that weave gives it a cool effect that might work really well for some images (or lower rez stuff).
7 Poly Chiffon

Stretchiness

Not stretchy - Poly Canvas, Poly Chiffon
A Bit - Spun Poly, swimsuit knit
Strechy - Spandex, Silky Knit

So there it is. If there's anything else you'd like me to check, let me know. I think the performance spandex is my top choice for this company, unless you want the canvas effect or don't want stretch.

Last edited by Alex5678; 02-24-2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #2823 of 2832 Unread 02-23-2017, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed review. I appreciate it. I was looking at their site and fabric materials, when you say Spandex, is it same as Performance Knit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex5678 View Post
Lucky you guys, the samples were in my mailbox today and yeah they are in Quebec, I must have confused them with another place I was looking at.

There are 9 fabrics in the sample pack, here they are ranked by how hard it was to breathe through them, 0 being nothing in front and 10 being my hand blocking my mouth:

Breathability

1 Poly Chiffon - almost like nothing at all
2 Spun Poly - quite easy

3 Silky Knit - This next group of 4 fabrics were still quite good. I also held them up in front of the tweeter on my speakers and played some music, sounded fine.
3 Performance Spandex
4 Poly Canvas
4 Swimsuit Knit

7 Poly Twill - These 3 fabrics were thick enough I'm not going to bother doing any other ranks for them, though I will say the heavy satin looks the best of all the fabrics (it's glossy though).
7 Velveteen - Absorbs the most light
9 Heavy Satin

Colour

1 Performance Spandex - brightest by far, and all around good colour

2 Swimsuit Knit - This group's white is a touch dimmer than the spandex's
2 Poly Canvas

4 Silky Knit - Whites and Blacks both a little greyer than the above ones
4 Spun Poly

6 Poly Chiffon - This one suffers from being nearly transparent. You can make the black better by putting something black behind it I guess.

Detail

At arm's length they all looked decent. The top 4 for sure I think would be totally fine detail wise.

1 Performance Spandex - the weave does give the appearance of lines when up close.
2 Swimsuit Knit
3 Spun Poly
4 Silky Knit - the weave does give the appearance of lines when up close.
6 Poly Canvas - this one lacked detail because of the canvas weave. But that weave gives it a cool effect that might work really well for some images (or lower rez stuff).
7 Poly Chiffon

Stretchiness

Not stretchy - Poly Canvas, Poly Chiffon
A Bit - Spun Poly, swimsuit knit
Strechy - Spandex, Silky Knit

So there it is. If there's anything else you'd like me to check, let me know. I think the performance spandex is my top choice for this company, unless you want the canvas effect or don't want stretch.

post #2824 of 2832 Unread 02-24-2017, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
Hello, I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all the help. I've just completed building three 24x36 poster panels (Jaws, Terminator, Star Wars) and one 48x62 panel (Dark Knight, to blackout/cover a window). The build process is very fresh in my mind since I did it so recently, so if anyone has any questions please let me know.

Pics attached..
Would just like to say I absolutely adore your batman print on your wall! It looks EXACTLY like what I want in my room to get rid of reflection on one of my sidewalls;
Considering this, are the clouds not to bright?
Wonder where you ordered such a big size (60") and what source image you used?
Thanks in advance
post #2825 of 2832 Unread 02-24-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed review. I appreciate it. I was looking at their site and fabric materials, when you say Spandex, is it same as Performance Knit?
I believe so. It was listed on the site as performance knit but the samples were printed with performance spandex as the name.
busybe likes this.
post #2826 of 2832 Unread 02-24-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
I believe so. It was listed on the site as performance knit but the samples were printed with performance spandex as the name.
Thanks foe the review of the material swatches
Do you have a link to the web site?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2827 of 2832 Unread 02-24-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer86 View Post
Would just like to say I absolutely adore your batman print on your wall! It looks EXACTLY like what I want in my room to get rid of reflection on one of my sidewalls;
Considering this, are the clouds not to bright?
Wonder where you ordered such a big size (60") and what source image you used?
Thanks in advance
Ordered on fabric, image elements like that can be adjusted if need be, however the clouds are exactly as the source image is.

If interested, I have some high quality versions of that file that I've worked up for people in the past. I can scale it to just about anything needed. The Dark Knight was a popular theme for a while. I do a lot of image work for people here, so I have a pretty large collection of poster images. I have just under 100GB of files that I have worked up for people here at AVS.

Since you are new around here, there are a lot of things that I do for free for teh community. A simple resize, crop, adding of a border, etc are all free. It is when an image needs touchup work or a brand new image or collage, etc needs created that it gets really time consuming and thus I've asked for some sort of donation from people for my time.

Just let me know.
post #2828 of 2832 Unread 02-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Thanks foe the review of the material swatches
Do you have a link to the web site?
https://artofwhere.com/
post #2829 of 2832 Unread 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Thanks Alex5678
Do you think you will order from them?
I'm always looking for a Canadian dealer.... hope they are good

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2830 of 2832 Unread 02-25-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Thanks Alex5678
Do you think you will order from them?
I'm always looking for a Canadian dealer.... hope they are good
I'm going to try and get two to four panels from them. They are for my gym and will be sport related so we'll see how picky they are about copyright. Haven't decided on designs yet so it might be a week or so before I order though.
post #2831 of 2832 Unread Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Finally got my first set of panels finished up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickbuol, xylem and DougUSMC like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #2832 of 2832 Unread Today, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Ordered on fabric, image elements like that can be adjusted if need be, however the clouds are exactly as the source image is.

If interested, I have some high quality versions of that file that I've worked up for people in the past. I can scale it to just about anything needed. The Dark Knight was a popular theme for a while. I do a lot of image work for people here, so I have a pretty large collection of poster images. I have just under 100GB of files that I have worked up for people here at AVS.

Since you are new around here, there are a lot of things that I do for free for teh community. A simple resize, crop, adding of a border, etc are all free. It is when an image needs touchup work or a brand new image or collage, etc needs created that it gets really time consuming and thus I've asked for some sort of donation from people for my time.

Just let me know.
Thanks for your assistance! If you could send me the batman in that size in the picture, would be very nice; This one I also like, but its very small apparantly;
However, maybe you only do one resize per person (can imagine you're a busy man) Than I might still look out for a more recent poster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction