Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 232 Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That black looks great!

Keep up the good work, exciting times are ahead!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 232 Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 13
Yea that black looks great, you can start to visualize how it's going to look now. Is that a basement vent on the right soffit? You should paint that black too. If it's metal, it takes a few coats and rough it up a bit with some sandpaper first.
post #183 of 232 Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks! I am definitely getting more excited every step of the way. Not sure if they are doing the second coat on the black today or starting on the walls. There is also another 700+ sq feet being worked on on the other side of the door to the left.

Yeah, that is going to be the HVAC supply to the room. The return is a dead vent behind and to the left of the camera. I have not painted the registers yet. Right now all you are seeing is the cutout and perhaps the cardboard covering the hole. I don't have the light trims yet either. I need to get those on order. I think I'd rather buy the black ones than paint white ones.
post #184 of 232 Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

We had a busy and productive weekend. Saturday the painter was there all day. He never went in the theater, but he finished all the rest of the basement. A bit of touch up and a few second coats to do and he'll be in the theater. He is working late today to get it done because the carpet goes in tomorrow. Meanwhile Saturday my dad and I got all the doors downstairs (had to take a jamb off the double doors) and got them all installed. Stupid me forgot to get pictures before I took the double doors down for the carpet guys yesterday. So now the pictures will have to wait until I have someone to help me carry them up and down the stairs again to cut them down. We already had to trim them a bit for the concrete. So now I'll have to take off whatever the thickness of the carpet and pad is. They cut pretty well though, so that was good. We got the reveals perfect and they looked really good. The rest of the weekend I put in all the outlets where the painter was done. I powered up the 2 circuits for the equipment room. I built a couple temporary shelves for the equipment room. I drilled holes in the theater walls to pull my 5 channels through. One of the fronts I had to drill 2 holes because the first was too low and I couldn't get the wires fished through. I made sure to drill them both inside the window of what my in-wall speakers will eventually cover. Then the latter part of yesterday was carrying scraps of drywall out of the basement, organizing the storage area a bit and getting as much stuff in there as I could for the carpet guys. About the only thing they will have to move around now is the Berkline chair boxes. And right now they are all sitting in the area that will be laminate hardwood, so they should be able to leave them there while they install the carpet. Tuesday night I can put all the chairs in the theater and get the boxes out of the basement. Wednesday the wood is getting delivered and then installed on Thursday or Friday.

And on top of all the basement activity, they are also carpeting my upstairs living room, so I need to get all my equipment out of my 800 lb (no idea if that's true, wild sarcastic guess) entertainment center so they can move it! So tonight will be VERY busy as I need to do that as well as I'd like to get the rest of the outlets done so I don't have to do it on fresh carpet. Might be a late night, though I don't have THAT many outlets left to do.
post #185 of 232 Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Getting close! I didn't finish the outlets before carpet, but I got about half of them last night. My neck started bothering me so I moved on to something else. Here it is all painted up and ready for carpet.

i-C8TgqNp-L.jpg

i-cwJ6MZ6-L.jpg

Tonight I will be putting my Berkline's in their new home! And I can stop moving them around!
post #186 of 232 Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Very nice! What a difference a little paint makes. Good luck in your push to the finish. smile.gif
post #187 of 232 Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

The paint really does make a huge difference. I'm struggling to imagine what it is going to look like with carpet. They should be arriving there right about now. This is going to be a long work day!
post #188 of 232 Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I know what I'll be doing when I get to the carpet step... carpet angels in the middle of the floor! tongue.gif
post #189 of 232 Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Not quite finished last night. We had our living room done as well and they wanted to finish that so we could get our house back together. They did get the carpet into the theater and rough cut, so it gives some idea what it is going to look like...

i-LHvr7nG-L.jpg

i-h6zRnnN-L.jpg

A close up of the carpet.

i-7ccRDJZ-L.jpg

It sure sucks up the light now!
post #190 of 232 Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if you have posted already but can you give some details on the carpet (brand, style, color, where you got it, etc.)? I like the subtle pattern. I am on the lookout for carpet now and checking into everything. Going to look really nice in there.
post #191 of 232 Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I was a little nervous about the all black, which is why I ended up painting the walls tan to break it up. I'm very happy with my choice now.

It is from Shaw, Mirabeaux II in Black Knight color. The adjacent living room is the same line but he Mill Pond color (sage green.) We got it from a small local guy who only does work in Michigan and Florida.

http://shawfloors.com/carpetDetails/Searchdb/Mirabeaux_II_52M22-Black_Knight
post #192 of 232 Old 11-01-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Time to break out the big camera. The blackness and the iPhone 5 don't play nice...

i-j3vNnKk-L.jpg

i-g5nLT4C-L.jpg

And the adjacent space.

i-dkR28tw-L.jpg
post #193 of 232 Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like Sandy has the spendex for my screen. I ordered it Saturday night and the FedEx tracking has never showed anything outside of NY for it.

I had a question on the Berkline chairs. Are they meant to attach to each other? Mine do not have the required hardware to attach and looks like they just sit side by side. Am I missing something?
post #194 of 232 Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Spandex is due in today. I won't be working on the screen for a while though. I'm getting burned out and need a break after this weekend. The floor is getting wrapped up today. The couch is getting delivered. I got the chairs in the theater and finished all my outlets. I have 3 switches left to install and I need to terminate all my electrical in the panel. Once I've done that, I'll be hooking up all my equipment and setting up my Harmony remotes and watching some movies in the living room and listening to some music in the theater. Still need to do all the trim and door casings. Need to install the door knob on the theater door and mount the bolt for the second door. But between work and the basement I'm just fried and will likely take some time off after I get the equipment all up and running. Not too much time as I'd really love to see the trim done and get my screen up. Hopefully by Christmas, but I'm no longer sure about Thanksgiving. That weekend might be when I'll be knocking some of this stuff out. I will also get a week off when the baby is born in the next 4 or 5 weeks, so that will help in my progress. Phase 1 completion is in sight!!!

After I get the equipment up and running I'll take my DSLR down and try to get some decent shots of the current state. I'm very happy with how it is looking. And I definitely can tell a difference with the sound proofing. Even with a hole for a door knob and a 2" gap on the side of the door jamb. I need to seal that up somehow. But when I go in the theater and pull the door closed, the only thing I hear form the rest of the house are footfalls. The furnace is on the other side of the theater wall and you can barely hear a low hum from it. You can hear it much more in the living room which only has 1 layer of 5/8, Roxul, and 1/2" of drywall. The theater has 1 layer of 5/8, Roxul, Pink stuff (only on the front and back wall which are double walls), and 2 more layers of 5/8.
post #195 of 232 Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

The basement is operational! A few hiccups along the way the last few days, but all my circuits are tied off in the panel, all my equipment is hooked up and working and I am taking a break! Until I get time to work on my screen, I'm sure. The material is due tomorrow. Anyway, here is the nearly finished product. Still need all the trim and a few other things. So here is the lining room and entrance to the theater.

i-7kk3djj-L.jpg

i-Wck4FjB-L.jpg

i-mgwpmzn-L.jpg

Not totally pleased with the drywall seams here, but it's only visible in the glare from the windows.
i-NJq7rxM-L.jpg

The play area disaster.
i-zx8sjv2-L.jpg

Electronics!
i-6qhpqBX-L.jpg

i-mGkXVfg-L.jpg

Denon 3313, Sony BDP530, Monster power center, Apple TV and a DTV receiver in the back.

Finally the entrance of the theater.
i-JQRzLFd-L.jpg

Seating.
i-qQcfFvC-L.jpg

i-RpCGf3F-L.jpg

Something is missing...
i-s2NsJdS-L.jpg

My temporary setup. Will look better once hidden behind a screen.
i-StwTxJ3-L.jpg

More shots of the chairs.
i-rdbcnQf-L.jpg

i-gfg7CCv-L.jpg

i-jnw5gXM-L.jpg

And that's where she sits for now. I really love the Denon 3313. With the app for the iPhone I can completely control it from anywhere in the house. My soundproofing is not bulletproof, but you have to really turn things up in the theater to hear it upstairs. You can listen at any reasonable volume down there and not be heard upstairs. Overall I'm thrilled!
post #196 of 232 Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Last night I got the trim rings on the theater lights and started playing with the rope light under the lip of the riser. I think it's going to look really good. I will just need to clean up the wiring to the front row seats! After fiddling around I relaxed listening to music in there for about a half hour. I am really going to like this space! My spandex for my screen is out for delivery today. I'm eager to get my screen built. I also have 2 registers to paint and install in the theater. Then I will be down to baseboards and trimming out the door. I also need to install the hardware on the double doors still.
post #197 of 232 Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've been taking time away from the theater to get the rest of the house ready for the baby. I did get a chance to play with the second Harmony 900 for the theater tonight and wanted to share one item. You can only pair each RF blaster to 1 remote. So I will have to plug in the second blaster to work with my second remote and do more testing tomorrow. I need to plug in a power strip though. I have a blaster, network switch and I don't remember what the third transformer is that I have plugged in along with my power center.

Aside from that I am starting to enjoy my time in the basement more. We spent some time organizing last weekend. I have plans now for how I'm going to construct my equipment rack and my kids shelving as well as my screen. I have the screen material and I'm just anxious to get time to work on these things. I will have some time off for Thanksgiving and when the baby arrives, so hopefully I can get those things done during some of that time off. Of course there is still door casing, door hardware and baseboard trim to be done as well. Really hoping to get the projector and get a picture up soon. It really is killing me right now to be so close and yet so far. I was ready to take the 60" off the wall next door and put it in the theater tonight, but I want to wait and enjoy the room the way I have planned it.

A couple teaser shots. I got the moleskin white and miliskin silver (Spandexworld never has moleskin silver in stock.)

i-BsGC92B-L.jpg

And how big that material is when stretched out in the room. I'm drooling.

i-Htpxzd9-L.jpg
post #198 of 232 Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Don't know if anyone is still reading along, but a few more thoughts/updates. Through a course of events that doesn't need recanting here, I now have a 19" TV for my equipment rack. Though it is only 720p, I am able to input 1080p to it and it works. So I can run it as monitor 2 on my theater zone off my Denon 3313. I figure it will be nice to have something to set things up for times when I don't want to turn on the projector or before I go into the theater. So that is working. Tonight I finished setting up the IR blaster for the theater remote, so now both Harmony 900's are working. Then I took the 19" TV into the theater and tested my projector HDMI. And, JACKPOT! No problems and works fine. I sat in there enjoying music for a few minutes and dreaming about what things will look like in the near future. I also took a tape measure around again to figure my distances for the screen, seating and projector. I think my screen will be 18-24" off the front wall. This puts my front row at about 13' - 13'6" with a planned scope screen of 10'10" wide. Not too bad I don't think. My projector I think will be 16' - 16'6" throw. I'm a touch disappointed I wasn't able to measure exactly where the drywallers placed the 4' wide sheet of plywood. This is part of why I'm thinking the projector will be 16' instead of 17' away from the screen. Though worst case if I don't grab any plywood, I can just use some drywall anchors to secure the projector. Truthfully I'd love to push the projector behind the second row, as 16' will put it right above the aisle for the second row. I think 18-19' might be too far for decent brightness for my screen size.

I also mentioned to the wife that Dark Knight Rises comes out in 4 weeks and I wanted that to be my first movie in the theater. This led her to ask about the screen and opened the door for me to insert another request for the projector once the screen is up. Work is still very busy, but I'm hoping we're over the nesting frenzy we had last weekend and I can build my screen with any free time I have this weekend.
post #199 of 232 Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. This is good information. And gives me a new play with the wife. "I need the projector before I can finish the screen because I need to decide which color to do on top!" Maybe I can have it on hand before Thanksgiving as originally hoped for...
post #200 of 232 Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 119
post #201 of 232 Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just google for "diy spandex screen." Here is one of the top hits. I'll post pictures as I start doing mine. Hoping for this weekend, but I have to work tomorrow. Sadly in the most exciting time for my theater build I am in a critical phase of a project at work and we are working 6-7 days. So most of my theater work is time limited for me right now.
post #202 of 232 Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

Just google for "diy spandex screen."

Then click images, and ...oh my... Daddy needs some alone time.

post #203 of 232 Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
FINALLY! a good use for large spandex!!! Keep the small sizes on the ladies and the big ones on the screens..
post #204 of 232 Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess that one is not a good example! lol Mine will just have 2 vertical supports in the middle. You make a good point that I need to balance the location of those supports though!

We had our first company over last night to see the basement. They all seemed impressed by the theater. Not every day you see a room like these in a house. I haven't seen a dedicated room in a house yet with 2 rows of seats and a riser in person before finishing mine. Stuck at work this AM, but on my way home today I'm planning to pick up the lumber for the screen frame. My goal is to get the pieces cut and painted today so tomorrow I can screw it together and be ready to put the material over it. I think I'm going to get an AE7000 or AE8000, and the 8000's are discounted slightly right now so I'd like to grab one. Once I show the wife I'm ready to set up the screen I can put on pressure to order it. Maybe I'll still have a picture up on Thanksgiving. I haven't given up hope!
post #205 of 232 Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

NOW I've got some exciting progress to report! Still no projector, but I got around to the screen frame today. On my way home I picked up the lumber. This afternoon I managed to get the pieces cut and painted them in the garage. Tonight after I got the kids tucked in, I carried the pieces down in the basement and laid them out on the floor.

i-BRSx6Sr-L.jpg

11 feet wide, 56" tall. Oak 1x4 horizontals and poplar 1x3 verticals. I was going to do all poplar, but I couldn't find any good 11' sticks of it. The oak looked a little straighter. At this point I was about to go upstairs, had the lights off and was closing the door when I flashed back to this afternoon, yelling at the kids to get away from the wet paint in the garage, and figured I should slap her together while I had some piece and quiet. I drilled some pilot holes and screwed it together. In the end I think it came together well.

i-D3SMnDh-L.jpg

That is close to the height I will be mounting it. I have an idea of how I'm going to support it and I painted a couple 2x4's while I had the brush wet today. Probably have to paint a few more but I haven't completely ironed out what lengths I need to do what I want to do. I might actually assemble it and paint it in place. Hopefully I get some time to work on that tomorrow. Once I have the frame in place, I will submit my official purchase req for the projector to the CFO. smile.gif
post #206 of 232 Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks David. I took my center supports off, added the thick pain stir sticks behind the frame which pushed those supports back about 1/4".

This morning I got my framing built and got the screen hung. I need to get some decent pictures to share to show how I did it. I don't doubt someone has done it this way before, but I don't remember seeing it. As soon as I had it up, I told the wife I was ready for the projector. She gave in and said she didn't want to hear me drive her nuts for weeks, so I ordered it. Expected delivery is Wednesday!

Here are the crappy iPhone pictures. Viewing position from the second row. Can see the bottom of the screen pretty good, which is only about 16" off the floor.

i-HLk22KB-L.jpg

Taking a closer look at the framing and my "goal posts," I can replace these 16" legs with shorter ones later when I switch to in walls, if I want to.

i-HtQVXzc-L.jpg

And a closeup of how I hung the screen. I need to paint these black and add a washer or something on the left as it sits a tad low. You can also see the center supports pushed back in this picture.

i-Qw6nwzb-L.jpg

I have also anchored my goal posts to the lower supports and then added a 2x6 across them to set the center channel on in the temporary setup. Once I get a picture on the wall and finish the screen I'll start working on the black panels around the screen. I can't believe I've gotten this far and I've got the projector on order. I'm so excited to start using the room next weekend! Hopefully I can get the screen stretched Wednesday or on Thanksgiving and watch a movie after dinner with family.
post #207 of 232 Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Another step. I think I'll pick up the screen door track stuff and stretch the screen tomorrow night now that I know the projector will be here this week. What is the preferred method to stretch the material? Do I start in the middle of the long sides?

i-L3p9Dwp-L.jpg
post #208 of 232 Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I looked at that hanging system, but since I was attaching to the front of a pair of 2x4's I couldn't find short enough ones. As I was looking around in that aisle I saw the eye bolts and thought, I can make that work. I just added some felt pads where the screen touches the goal posts and that keeps the eye bolts from coming forward to where the screen material will be.
post #209 of 232 Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
I made a french cleat out of 2x4''s. I had it span the mid supports. I can move the screen to the left or right as needed for getting the perfect placement. I think its gonna be tough hitting those hooks once the screen is made. I would reconsider the hook method.
post #210 of 232 Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I may use something like David mentioned above if this gives me a hard time. My JBL's have homemade 2x4 french cleats on the back of them from when I used them in my upstairs living room.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Theater Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page