PTAaron's English Way Cinema and Bar - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 277Likes

post #451 of 659 Old 01-02-2017, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I did nothing in the room today even though I had the day off... I spent over 2 hours in the Canton AT&T store getting cell phone plans changed and signing up for UVerse so I can finally dump Brighthouse and save some money!
I did realize that I can probably cut a hole in my 2x12 projector mounting board and stick the mount through it (screw it down above the board) and get the projector the extra 1.5" closer to the ceiling.
I am of course probably overestimating my jigsawing abilities but why not give it a try?

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 659 Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Still haven't done any more to the room... I did measure the screen back to the wall distance - and was really irritated to find that the left side of the screen is an inch further from the wall than the right! Apparently I was just a little off in mounting the boards to the joists, which over the length of the screen made a big difference.
I'm going to replace the 2x4s that attach to the joists with some of the metal bars that are used for mounting garage door openers (I have some laying around from replacing my garage door opener) so hopefully that will be easier to line up precisely. I'm also going to run a board from the part of the mount behind the screen to the wall to ensure it is the proper distance away and stays there.
I'm a little surprised that being 1" closer at one end didn't cause any focus issues... but then again my eyes aren't what they used to be

Hoping to get the projector height adjusted, screen hanger adjusted, and screen fabric properly stretched this weekend. Problem is I'm enjoying using the screen as it is too much and I don't want to be without it

-Aaron
post #453 of 659 Old 01-04-2017, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On the topic of eyes - I had a chance to compare the cheap Emgreat G15 glasses with the 4x as expensive Firestorm XL glasses. I have to say that the Firestorm XLs are more comfortable by a long shot. I have a fairly large head and the G15s squeeze quite a bit, while the Firestrom XLs squeeze a little but rest on your ears more like normal glasses. Both did a great job of hiding the red from the DLP Link signal, both synced right away, and brightness seemed roughly the same. I don't know if it was because I was in the back row when using the Firestroms or if it was the glasses, but watching the potato cod scene was a lot less dramatic than with the G15s. It popped out of the screen... but it wasn't the "I need to duck" amount of popping out that I experienced with the G15 glasses.
I'm a little torn because they are really comfortable - but I could literally by 4 more sets of the G15 glasses for the cost of one pair of Firestorm XL..

-Aaron

post #454 of 659 Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
Still haven't done any more to the room... I did measure the screen back to the wall distance - and was really irritated to find that the left side of the screen is an inch further from the wall than the right! Apparently I was just a little off in mounting the boards to the joists, which over the length of the screen made a big difference.
I was wondering when you were going to get back to work on that screen " you slacker. .)

The suspence is killin me. L@@ks like it is all coming together nicely.

Out of curosity did you take a good l@@k at your frame. Are you sure its not slightly twisted causing it to sit away 1" on the one side and not the other. Possible the fabric or when the frame was screwed together. Might be putting a slight load on the frame causing it to twist and not sit flat.

You would need a flat surface to check it against. Most basements are pitched toward a floor drain. Maybe your garage floor. If it doesn't have a drain.

When you check eack corner with a square. How does eack corner l@@k?.

If you place the square on the face of the wood. That should also give an indication. If the two pieces of wood are on the same plane.

It could even be that xtra blade length of material. That you noted intially when comparing the lengths of the boards.

With the help of your wife. Can you grab the frame and twist it a little to see if that realigns it.
PTAaron likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.1.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Pioneer SP-T22A, JBL 12" Wireless Sub

Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony BDP-BX650, ATV G3, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Smart Control with Touch Remote, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 01-04-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #455 of 659 Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
I was wondering when you were going to get back to work on that screen " you slacker. .)

The suspence is killin me. L@@ks like it is all coming together nicely.

Out of curosity did you take a good l@@k at your frame. Are you sure its not slightly twisted causing it to sit away 1" on the one side and not the other. Possible the fabric or when the frame was screwed together. Might be putting a slight load on the frame causing it to twist and not sit flat.

You would need a flat surface to check it against. Most basements are pitched toward a floor drain. Maybe your garage floor. If it doesn't have a drain.

When you check eack corner with a square. How does eack corner l@@k?.

If you place the square on the face of the wood. That should also give an indication. If the two pieces of wood are on the same plane.

It could even be that xtra blade length of material. That you noted intially when comparing the lengths of the boards.

With the help of your wife. Can you grab the frame and twist it a little to see if that realigns it.
I checked at the top and at the bottom - it was an equal distance out from the wall at the top as it was at the bottom, so I don't think it is a twist. I'm 95% sure that it is just my "hanger" on the wall not being exactly parallel to the wall. I was having a heck of a time getting the boards lined up with my marks on the joists, holding them in place, and screwing them in place all while standing on top of a cabinet with my head and shoulders sticking up through a ceiling grid hole LOL! In retrospect, if I hadn't been rushing I should have used some clamps to hold things in place and make my life a little easier. Also taking out more tiles and using a headlamp instead of a lantern for light would have been smart!

I'm thinking even a small difference at the center of the screen where the hanger is would translate out as a much bigger difference at the ends. Right side was 15.5" from the wall, left was 16 3/8" from the wall... both should have been right at 16" if I had done my math right.

-Aaron
post #456 of 659 Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

You might need to just do some maintenance and flush out the taps

After a couple cold ones it will all be magically aligned

I'm sure you'll get it straighted out.
PTAaron likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.1.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Pioneer SP-T22A, JBL 12" Wireless Sub

Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony BDP-BX650, ATV G3, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Smart Control with Touch Remote, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #457 of 659 Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

In the absence of a real update - all I did in the theater last night was play some Star Wars Battlefront and then some Neverwinter before I fell asleep while standing in the middle of a town on a quest - I'm going to make a list of what I still need to do to maybe get myself motivated:

1. Restretch screen fabric using a different and more logical method. I was in a major rush the first time around and that was causing me to make mistakes - like not vacuuming the carpet beforehand and ending up with a bunch of fuzz stuck to the black layer!
  2. Adjust the horizontal positioning of the central screen hanger - which will also require redoing the French cleat.
  3. Take down the "projector hanger 2x12" to cut the hole for the outlet and make adjustments to bring the projector up 1.5-2" so the image hits the screen properly.
  4. Run wiring for the power to the projector so I can get rid of the extension cord I have strung up hanging from the ceiling tiles.
  5. Install the uprights for the "minimalist screen wall".
  6. Buy velvet
  7. Build wall panels using the velvet and install them to fill in the space around the screen.
  8. Attach velvet to the tops of the subwoofers.
  9. Repair/replace the ceiling tiles I damaged/will damage when running wires - a couple of them have chipped because the track paint wasn't fully dry and made the tiles stick
  10. Figure out what movie will be screened for the official "first showing" in the finished theater!
brian6751 likes this.

-Aaron
post #458 of 659 Old 01-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On the topic of eyes - I had a chance to compare the cheap Emgreat G15 glasses with the 4x as expensive Firestorm XL glasses. I have to say that the Firestorm XLs are more comfortable by a long shot. I have a fairly large head and the G15s squeeze quite a bit, while the Firestrom XLs squeeze a little but rest on your ears more like normal glasses. Both did a great job of hiding the red from the DLP Link signal, both synced right away, and brightness seemed roughly the same. I don't know if it was because I was in the back row when using the Firestroms or if it was the glasses, but watching the potato cod scene was a lot less dramatic than with the G15s. It popped out of the screen... but it wasn't the "I need to duck" amount of popping out that I experienced with the G15 glasses.
I'm a little torn because they are really comfortable - but I could literally by 4 more sets of the G15 glasses for the cost of one pair of Firestorm XL..
i received the 3d under the sea that you recommended today. I ordered the double feature one that includes the deep sea 3d.

Hoping to view it this weekend. I'll Keep an eye out for how the potato cod scene compairs. Might need to dust off the ol fishin pole. Do some fishin.

What is this red light you speak of. Is that the sync signal that flashes on the screen for the glasses. Havent noticed it at all yet. Just greenish screen when I tilt glasses up.

Glad to hear that your redoing the screen material over. I think you be allright the second time around. Not an easy job, alot of variables when attaching the fabric to the frame. Just take your time.

To me I was impressed with your progress. You had it up and intially running in a short time after recieving it.

Good luck, you'll get it.

Thanks again for the recomendation. L@@king forward to the 3d adventure. I think I'll make some sockeye salmon with roasted new potatoes and green beans for dinner Saturday.

post #459 of 659 Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh you'll love it!
The red is the DLP Link flash - it makes the video have a red tint without the glasses - if flashes between the frames.
I'll see if I can get a high speed video of it to post up to show what I'm talking about.

-Aaron
post #460 of 659 Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice work on everything!

I was reading the thread and saw the hungry howies commercial with ziggy!

Let's go Lions!
PTAaron likes this.
post #461 of 659 Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unckdecamp View Post
Nice work on everything!

I was reading the thread and saw the hungry howies commercial with ziggy!

Let's go Lions!

Thanks for checking it out!

-Aaron
post #462 of 659 Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Today's plans for the theater will begin once I am able to get all of this Christmas light stuff organized, packed up, and put back up in the garage attic!
Should have been done by now and on to the fun - but I got the nice surprise of the battery on my jeep no longer being able to tolerate this cold weather... so getting that taken care of along with some other household chores ate up the morning. Boo.

-Aaron
post #463 of 659 Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hang in there Aaron, strength in numbers - a lot of us on the forum are rooting for you!

David
Saline, MI
PTAaron likes this.
post #464 of 659 Old 01-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVBSEATTLE View Post
Hang in there Aaron, strength in numbers - a lot of us on the forum are rooting for you!

David
Saline, MI
Plus 1

Thumbs up.............
PTAaron likes this.

post #465 of 659 Old 01-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh you'll love it!
The red is the DLP Link flash - it makes the video have a red tint without the glasses - if flashes between the frames.
I'll see if I can get a high speed video of it to post up to show what I'm talking about.
Watched under the sea 3d last night.

WoW, I have always enjoyed nature related material. But watching it in 3d was truly a magical experience.

Right from the opening credits. I could see that I was going to be in for a treat.

The whole film had many moments of objects extending outward. Including the potato cod scene. There was fish swimming everywhere in front of me all the time. Every couple of minuites i was like wow l@@k at that. I sit 8' from my screen and the depth effect was truly amazing. At times, within less than a foot of my face.

Also the DTS Master HD 5.1 audio sounded very good using DTS Neural 7.1.4

I also watched deep sea 3d. Although I thought that under the sea had a smoother cadence to the film. Finished the night off with a Greg allman and friends concert.

Those firestorm 2.0 glasses are amazing. Very happy, thank you again for getting me interested in 3d and the under the sea 3d suggestion.

Still haven't seen any red flash on the screen. My screen has a bright greenish tint to it when i raise the 3d glasses up.

Maybe its the sony bluray or pioneer avr that creates a greenish as opposed to red signal

Knowing that someday I will get a 3d projector. I'm concerned that your not experiencing the same depth of 3d with the new projector vs the mitz. Hopefully it is just a setting in the new projector.

I'm not sure your aware of this. But when I 1st tried 3d. I wasn't too impressed. Then I remember while l@@king on AVS for the best 3d glasses in a thread that sugested the firestorm 2.0.

That the glasses default to a reverse image intially. After they power on and sync. You need to hit the button one more time. To properly display a positive (outward) 3d effect.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 01-08-2017 at 09:18 AM.
post #466 of 659 Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PTAaron's Movie Room/Basement Bar and Game area

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Saturday ended up being a bust... father in law came by to hang out, so after getting all my outdoor Christmas decorations stowed in the garage attic we ended up going out to lunch, watching Under the Sea in 3D on the half done screen because he hadn't seen the projector in action yet... after he left the wife and I played Kings Quest on the PS4 til it was time for bed!
@LNEWoLF - glad you enjoyed it! That is truly one of my favorites for 3D, even though it is a bit preachy about climate change. Ghosts of the Abyss is awesome too... they took robot subs down to Titanic and shot footage in 3D. Pretty amazing.
I checked the booklet on the Firestorm XLs, it didn't mention an invert button... the 3D with them is not "bad", but when doing a direct comparison to the super cheap G15 glasses the G15s win by a small margin. Maybe it is because the Firestorms are just a little darker so things aren't as vivid?
Your TV may use a green flash for the DLP Link... I thought it was all the same. I could be wrong. Mine is definitely red tinted when I take the glasses off.

EDIT: I got a bit accomplished today - I'll update once the wife and I get back from dinner.

-Aaron
post #467 of 659 Old 01-08-2017, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Plan for today was to get the screen mount fixed, redo the screen fabric, raise the projector up 1.5", install the ceiling outlet, run the wiring, install the screen wall uprights, paint everything black, and reinstall the projector. I got a lot of that done... so here is an excessively long post about today:

First thing I did was build some "spacers" for the projector mount. In case you missed it - earlier I noticed my screen was about 1" further out from the wall on the left side than the right. When I measured the mount it was 1/2" different due things shifting up at the top attachment point even through each one had 4 screws holding it in place... I used my Kreg jig to make a some boards to space things out from the wall the exact distance I needed it. They are "L" shaped so I can attach them to the studs in the wall and tie them into either end of the screen mount:
Screen build Jan 8 by PTAaron, on Flickr

Worked out great - mount spaced out 15.5" from the wall, back of screen ended up at 16", front of screen 17.5" from the wall all according to plan

Next up was modifying the 2x12 - if you recall I discovered that the projector was hanging too low and was not hitting the top of the screen. I didn't want to tilt it and have to use keystone correction to compensate, so I decided I was going to put a hole in the 2x12 and stick the mount through it to get the extra height. I originally planned to use a jigsaw, but I noticed how close I was going to be to the edge of the wall... so I decided to go with one of these instead!

Moved on to using the jigsaw to cut out the opening for the outlet... everything looked great, I popped the outlet in and something awful happened - the part I was worried about breaking fell off!! Apparently cutting out the other hole bounced it around too much

I was able to glue and clamp the parts back together.

Gave the glue a while to dry and decided to get to work on the screen. I decided not to pull the black layer off and I just finished attaching the final long side, and adjusted one short side - and it evened out nicely. Still had a few creases that didn't come out with the stretching, but it won't be seen so I didn't care. When I went to add the white layer I decided to be smarter this time and follow the same stretching pattern that is recommended for stapling - as you can see here I stretched each side and fastened each one down in the center.

Once the fabric was all stretched I did a test fit fit with the projector to make sure it hit the right spot - it hit just above the screen (after leveling the projector) so I could shift it down onto the screen as planned Test pattern confirms I somehow got it lined up properly.

As an added bonus I can now stand under the projector!

Next up was a quick coat of matte Mouse Ears! Painted the mount, 2x12, and the boards that will be the uprights for the front wall.

Installed the outlets (the power outlet doesn't have wires run to it yet, HDMI does):

Fired up a couple of movies - first screenshot was run through Kodi, other is from a demo blu-ray... I couldn't figure out why it was not going full screen, but I just now realized I forgot to adjust the screen borders... oops.

Only problem is there are a few wrinkles that didn't come out of the white layer... I decided to let it sit for a bit and see if they work themselves out. Just in case I also picked up a steamer - I'll give the steamer a try if it doesn't work itself out in a few days
DKVBSEATTLE likes this.

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 01-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
post #468 of 659 Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh yeah - didn't install the front wall uprights today or run the wiring for the projector power. I also know that the 2x12 is looking pretty rough in those pictures - it was only meant to be a temporary fix so it didn't matter, but now it doesn't really bother me

I did forget one thing when I did my painting... can you spot it?

-Aaron
post #469 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@LNEWoLF - glad you enjoyed it! That is truly one of my favorites for 3D, even though it is a bit preachy about climate change. Ghosts of the Abyss is awesome too... they took robot subs down to Titanic and shot footage in 3D. Pretty amazing.
Thank you again. That 3D movie was awesome. I'll check out that Ghosts of the Abyss also.

Quote:
I checked the booklet on the Firestorm XLs, it didn't mention an invert button... the 3D with them is not "bad", but when doing a direct comparison to the super cheap G15 glasses the G15s win by a small margin. Maybe it is because the Firestorms are just a little darker so things aren't as vivid?
Your TV may use a green flash for the DLP Link... I thought it was all the same. I could be wrong. Mine is definitely red tinted when I take the glasses off.
Yeah, I didn't see any mention in the manual for the firestorm 2.0 glasses either. Just happened to remember reading it posted by another AVS member. It may have been on their website also.

When you rewatched Under the Sea with your father in law. Did the image now project out as far as you had experienced previously? (With the mitz)

Although I don't have any other brand of glasses to compare too. From my experience the image was bright, detailed, sharp and colors vivid. (Recently re calibrated the mitz. After installing blackout shades and zero light theater drapes.) not sure if you have calibrated the projector yet. Maybe the difference in what we are seeing.

The wild card is always two people seeing things differently. Just like audio.

You sure made allot of progress in a day, can't believe how much you were able to get done.

L@@k's AWESOME. Soon the wife and you will be able to kick back and enjoy it all.

I would't recommend taking that new found toy (box) away from the kitty. They will be terrible disappointed.

Take care, enjoy your new projector and screen.....
PTAaron likes this.

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 01-09-2017 at 12:00 PM.
post #470 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 31
wow! looking good Aaron! gives me an idea about doing my projector mount. got a question tho, i planned on building a false front wall for the fixed screen to be mounted to on cleats. my question is would it be an issue that my current wall is 16' wide but my false wall will sit 3' in front of that wall but only be as wide as the screen i build with both sides open. probably 4' on both sides. that way my towers and subs can sit flush on both sides of the screen.. i was going to build a complete false wall but wondered if just building just the center part of the wall where the screen mounts to would cause an issue with the sound? i figured if i build a complete false wall and the speakers sat in cubbys in the false wall it wouldn't sound right? you know what i mean? and i don't want to do an acoustical screen as i don't want any problems with the screen moving.
PTAaron likes this.

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Emptek E55ti, E56ci, E55bi, 2 Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series, SHARP LC-70LE660U 70" CLASS AQUOS HD
post #471 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Sweet. Looks great. Sorry about the wrinkles. I even placed the order with them over the phone to make sure I communicated that I wanted it on a roll several times. Still showed up in a box...😤

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
PTAaron likes this.

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #472 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Thank you again. That 3D movie was awesome. I'll check out that Ghosts of the Abyss also.

Yeah, I didn't see any mention in the manual for the firestorm 2.0 glasses either. Just happened to remember reading it posted by another AVS member. It may have been on their website also.

When you rewatched Under the Sea with your father in law. Did the image now project out as far as you had experienced previously? (With the mitz)

Although I don't have any other brand of glasses to compare too. From my experience the image was bright, detailed, sharp and colors vivid. (Recently re calibrated the mitz. After installing blackout shades and zero light theater drapes.) not sure if you have calibrated the projector yet. Maybe the difference in what we are seeing.

The wild card is always two people seeing things differently. Just like audio.

You sure made allot of progress in a day, can't believe how much you were able to get done.

L@@k's AWESOME. Soon the wife and you will be able to kick back and enjoy it all.

I would't recommend taking that new found toy (box) away from the kitty. They will be terrible disappointed.

Take care, enjoy your new projector and screen.....
I was actually wearing both pairs of glasses and going between them to compare...
It definitely popped out, just seemed more dramatic with the other glasses - keeping in mind I'm sitting 9 feet from a 117" screen so "not as dramatic" is still pretty dang dramatic.
I'll play with the button on the glasses next time though, just to see. The projector has an "invert" button too - so I could try that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
wow! looking good Aaron! gives me an idea about doing my projector mount. got a question tho, i planned on building a false front wall for the fixed screen to be mounted to on cleats. my question is would it be an issue that my current wall is 16' wide but my false wall will sit 3' in front of that wall but only be as wide as the screen i build with both sides open. probably 4' on both sides. that way my towers and subs can sit flush on both sides of the screen.. i was going to build a complete false wall but wondered if just building just the center part of the wall where the screen mounts to would cause an issue with the sound? i figured if i build a complete false wall and the speakers sat in cubbys in the false wall it wouldn't sound right? you know what i mean? and i don't want to do an acoustical screen as i don't want any problems with the screen moving.
Thank you!!
I'm not sure about the answer to your question to be honest. I'm not sure what would cause an issue to be honest - is your screen not acoustically transparent? If so your "wall" shouldn't really interfere with anything as long as there are no boards crossing in front of the speakers. I'm not expert at all though

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Sweet. Looks great. Sorry about the wrinkles. I even placed the order with them over the phone to make sure I communicated that I wanted it on a roll several times. Still showed up in a box...😤

Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out.
No worries about the wrinkles... can't even see them when a movie is projecting on it. Besides I would never complain about something that was handed down to me

-Aaron
post #473 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do you feel about sitting 9' from that screen?

Rivers Edge Theater
post #474 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you feel about sitting 9' from that screen?

I'm liking it a lot!
I haven't watched a movie on the finished screen yet - just some clips but I think it is nice and immersive especially with 16:9 and IMAX content.
I'm not sure the exact seating distance ... I need to actually measure it, but I feel like its about as close as I would want to be.
It is funny how fast you get used to such a large image
brian6751 likes this.

-Aaron
post #475 of 659 Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I loved seeing your pic of the test pattern lining up perfectly on your new screen. Nice work, Aaron - keep at it!

David
Saline, MI
post #476 of 659 Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm liking it a lot!
I haven't watched a movie on the finished screen yet - just some clips but I think it is nice and immersive especially with 16:9 and IMAX content.
I'm not sure the exact seating distance ... I need to actually measure it, but I feel like its about as close as I would want to be.
It is funny how fast you get used to such a large image
Cool. That Rango screen shot looks really good. My front row will be about 10' from a 120" screen so very similar. When researching screen sizes and seating distances, that setup always seemed to get mixed reactions but it does fall within the THX 2x the screen height standard and I have read of people with bigger screens from that same distance. Its all situational and subjective. Whats next to do in there? Are you doing any masking panels around the screen?

Quote:
I loved seeing your pic of the test pattern lining up perfectly on your new screen. Nice work, Aaron - keep at it!

David
Saline, MI
Yeah, that grid lines up great which means your measurements and angles are spot on.

Rivers Edge Theater
post #477 of 659 Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was actually wearing both pairs of glasses and going between them to compare...
PTAaron likes this.

post #478 of 659 Old 01-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

David
Saline, MI
Me too, nice to see it all come together. So quickly too.

Reading this thread has been like watching those home do it shows. You know, how they inspire you to redo your kitchen, bath, build an entire home with a chainsaw, screwdriver and a pair of pliers, etc.

In less than 30 miniutes, bam, new kitchen, bam, new bathroom, bam, new projector and screen......

post #479 of 659 Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

David
Saline, MI
Thanks!
I was pretty surprised when that happened! I expected to have to slide the projector to the right or left a little bit, but it worked out nicely. Bonus is that since the screen will be sitting "on" the front wall panels I had the option of sliding it side to side slightly if needed as well.

Quote:
Cool. That Rango screen shot looks really good. My front row will be about 10' from a 120" screen so very similar. When researching screen sizes and seating distances, that setup always seemed to get mixed reactions but it does fall within the THX 2x the screen height standard and I have read of people with bigger screens from that same distance. Its all situational and subjective. Whats next to do in there? Are you doing any masking panels around the screen?

Yeah, that grid lines up great which means your measurements and angles are spot on.
Thanks man - I'm really impressed with how this "budget" setup looks!
Your screen is a scope screen, right? I think you'll be just fine. In "scope mode" I'm at about 111" diagonal if I did my math right. I'm a little closer than 2x screen height in 16:9, and a little further than 2x for scope content, at first it seemed crazy but I got used to it real quick.
Next up is putting in the uprights at the ends of the screen so I can stop holding it in place using my speakers After that I have to get some velvet and make panels for the false wall. I'm going to wait a bit on the corner traps from Foam Factory - mostly because I can never get out there when they are open, but those along with some egg crate on the front wall are in the future. I know my sound isn't perfect, but a friend that is an audio engineer said he was shocked at how good the room sounded... I was surprised to hear that since I have no room treatments, no digital room correction, and budget speakers.
I thought about making panels for scope movies - I'm going to give it some time and actually watch some movies on it first before I decide if they are going to be worth the hassle. The "bars" aren't that noticeable when watching demo material, but I haven't watched an actual scope movie on it yet.

-Aaron
post #480 of 659 Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope. Mine is 16:9 to

Rivers Edge Theater
Sponsored Links