In April of this year my wife decided we needed a Kegerator for the bar area... I documented the process fairly well with pictures to post on another site - I'll just copy that over here.
Anyway - we started with a Danby refrigerator (I don't know the model number but it is the one commonly used for this purpose), a couple of old Pepsi ball lock 5 gallon kegs, a nice stainless tap tower with stainless taps, and a 5lb CO2 tank. Sorry I can't provide better descriptions of the parts - but this was literally 100% my wife's project, I just did the labor.
Anyway - first step was to remove the can holders and other things from the door. I tackled that by first going around the perimeter with my Dremel, thinking it was going to be hollow and just pop off:
When I went to pull it off I realized the entire structure was filled with foam - I guess I should have expected that from a nice quality refrigerator! DOH!! I ended up going back with a hack saw and a large cake cutting knife to slice through the foam and make it nice and level:
We needed to find a surface layer for the door to prevent moisture from getting into the foam and to protect it... we spotted a plastic diffuser for a fluorescent light while walking at Home Depot and decided that would be perfect. I cut it to size with a plexiglass cutting tool - and it looked like this:
Used some tub sealing adhesive meant for bonding plastic to plastic to run a bead around the outside to seal it up good - and stuck it all together:
Put the seal back on the door... and it looks like it was made that way
Next I turned my attention to the main body of the fridge. The top of the fridge has a plastic plate on it that was easily removed with 6 screws - the underside had a little hollow space right where the tap tower was going to be attached.
One of the instructional videos I watched advised filling in that space with a piece of ¼” plywood. So I cut a piece of plywood, slathered it with Liquid Nails, and slapped the pieces together with some weights to hold it as it dried:
Now it was time for the scary part - drilling a hole in a brand new really nice refrigerator! On the inside I located the center line by lining up with the rear screw of the light fixture - I measured about 1 inch closer to the rear… and drilled a hole up from the inside to mark the center of where my tower would sit. At this point I took off the plastic/wood top piece again to make things easier… I took my 1.5” hole saw and made a hole down from the top down… I knew there weren’t any coolant lines in that area, but it was still stressful for a second or two.
I taped up the hole with some heating duct tape to seal out any moisture from getting in and making things moldy:
I made a matching hole in the wood/plastic cover and after re-installing that I lined that hole with more tape to make sure it was really well sealed up. The rest was pretty easy - set the tower on top, get it centered, drill some pilot holes for some short screws, screw the tower into the plywood… and take more pictures!
We picked up a Badass Beer tap handle while at the homebrew store picking up some additional fittings for the air hookup - because… well why not?
Hooked up the CO2 and a keg full of Badass Lager:
… decided to rearrange some of the signs - seemed more appropriate to have the kegerator labeled as the “Cold Beer Testing Station”
Badass Lager sign looks better behind the bar. (I did center it better, but that picture turned out blurry):
Anyway... there it is!
I am going to put in a recessed light over the kegerator location and tie it in with the bar lighting... otherwise: Project Done!
The location of the Kegerator is pretty convenient - we were going to put it behind the bar originally, but we ended up putting it just off the end of the bar on the wall right next to one of the couches located there. The location lets people see it when the walk into the room, and it makes it easy for people to get their own refills.