Original first post starts below... I decided that post 1 will now be reserved for current progress...
We moved into a new house in July 2010 - and it had a great finished basement.
I had posted a thread last year looking for suggestions for my room - and I haven't had the budget to make any of the real changes yet... but I wanted to post up some pictures of the progress so far in "dealing with what I have".
Here is the overall floor plan of my basement - I obviously forgot to put a door on the bathroom and sump pump room in the plan, but you get the idea
This is how the room originally looked after I started trying to set it up:
Original photos of the room when I started the project:
...and the best part - a whole wall of mirrors!
My plan WAS to go through and pull down all of the drywall - and redo it with double drywall/green glue, use clips/channels to decouple from the studs, and double drywall/green glue the ceiling (with decoupling there as well).
Sadly the money I planned to use to get that started didn't come through - sale of a car, and cashing out of a large chunk of vacation time... both fell through... so I had to come up with a "lets just make due" plan.
(after this used to be "post 2")
I tossed around a lot of ideas for "taking care of" the wall of mirrors. First obviously was taking down the mirrors - this turned out not to be a good option because they are glued on with a lot of construction adhesive... and that would require re-drywalling and painting the wall. That was outside of the budget range of "about $100".
Another suggestion was to paint over the mirrors - I didn't like that idea because... well it would just look bad.
Instead I went to IKEA and found some very cheap curtains... I ended up stapling one set over the mirrors, then using 2 other sets to cover the wall - adding a pleat at the top to make it look nicer.
Came out like this:
The camera flash really shows the wall behind the curtain, but in normal light you can't really see it.
I also upgraded to slightly larger speakers and a new AVR:
...and a new subwoofer:
...and we added some movie decorations:
(the blue thing is a Harman Kardon sign - the wires need to be hidden, and that will be done soon, I hope).
As you can see from the front of the room picture - my nice speaker wire panel that was hidden by the equipment cabinet is now exposed ... and again it doesn't look "super" with the overhead lights on and a flash... but when watching a movie you don't notice.
In the near future I am going to pick up some more of those cheap curtains and cover the shelving area (which will be the equipment rack when I redo the room) and the wall behind the HK sign, and do something between the posters.
I also would like to paint the walls a darker color, and maybe spray the ceiling tiles black until I can actually replace them...
In the long term I will be going to a projector and making the front wall into a screen with a false wall to hide the speakers.
So there you have it... Just wanted to share... I'm kind of getting hooked by this hobby! Between this, scuba diving, and collecting watches I don't know how I'm going to get anything else done!