AVS Forum banner

The Little Theater Build

64K views 71 replies 47 participants last post by  couchcoder 
#1 · (Edited)
In the spring of 2011 I upgraded our little family room in the corner of the basement to more of a dedicated home theater. Nothing major; some absorptive sound treatment, built in surround speakers and painted it all black. Between the kids and their video games and the wife and I with movies the room is used daily. The equipment is nothing special, but performs well from a value standpoint.
Multiple tweaks over the years but nothing revolutionary.
Total cost for room modifications and all equipment = approx $5000

Screen: 114"X55" 2.0 ratio white over black spandex. ($100)
Source: Panasonic DPUB820K ($420), Roku Stick+ ($55)
Projector: BenQ HT2050 - A small upgrade in September 2022 from the W1070 which is still going strong as my outdoor projector. Slightly better everything. ($850)
Receiver: Denon S760H ($600)
Speakers: As of July 2016 3 X Behringer B215XL across the front ($700) and decent hi-fi speakers I have collected over the years for side and rear surrounds.
Subwoofers: 4 X DIY Infinity 1262W in 6 cuft boxes (4.5 net) tuned to 18 Hz. One in each corner of the room. ($500)
Sub amp: Behringer NU3000DSP as of August 2016 ($400)

Original screen setup. 16X9 106" diagonal Accuscreen AT recessed about 6" with room on either side for my angled left and right speakers. Aesthetically pleasing but I wanted more screen.

Screen Upgrade: Pulled forward 6" and increased by 18" in width, from 96 to 114". Went with white over black spandex to improve black level for the DLP projector. I really like how the middle row of lights is blocked by the soffit to allow lots of light in the room without a big hit to contrast.
Entertainment Flat panel display Gadget Television set Display device

Stack of ‘70’s vintage gear collected over the years. Love this stuff. All fully functional though none of it is in use.
Building Wood Floor Flooring Tints and shades

A BenQ HT2050a for 2.35 format and BenQ W1070 for 16X9 run through a splitter onto a scope screen.
Building Floor Flooring Ceiling Chair

Furniture Couch Interior design Flooring Wood

A 6 cuft ported sub in each corner of the room. MAJOR upgrade from my original 10" Paradigm DSP3100. Only 11’ from screen to back wall so projector choice is very limited.

Sound absorption seems to be just about right; not too dead, not too reverberant.

Trio of Behringer's. Ugly but imposing. Have been meaning to clean up back there, but "out of site" out of mind comes into play and I don't want to lock things down and not be able to swap out other speakers when I want.
Comparing to a previous picture I see in the past few years I have turned two shelved sections into four more movie storage drawers, which are now almost stuffed full. I think I have a problem. :eek:

Custom angled cabinets built for side and rear surrounds.

Subs - Four DIY 6.0cuft (4.5cuft net) tuned to 18Hz and loaded with Infinity 1260W 12" drivers.

Maximum output.
Gold trace - dead center of room.
Green trace - center seat against back wall.

Look what my wonderful wife bought for our main bathroom! (Feb 2015)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey another BC'er, Welcome! I'm really impressed with all the work you have done so far. The progress looks good so far. I can't wait to see the outcome, keep us posted with your progress, thanks for sharing.

#4 ·
Looks really nice and cozy so far! Saving for the RS-40 should make you really happy, it will be plenty bright on a 106" screen!

#6 ·
Very nice room! It's only slightly larger than mine but I dig the color choices.

Victor

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader
Awesome build, I really like the way the woodwork came out and the way you mounted your speakers. Now dump that horrid in-law handme down couch!
I think the couch looks very comfy, assuming at least the ends recline. And once the lights go out to watch a movie, who notices the color of the couch?

Well done. Looks very nice, IMO.

#10 ·
Looks great especially for the small space. Really like how you integrated your speakers. B.C. is one of my favorite places. I've spent some time up there, but it has been a while since i have been up there and I'd like to get up there soon.

#11 ·
The airport in Salt Lake City leaves a lot to be desired. When I was living up there people were always telling me how beautiful Utah was. I was always surprised since to me BC is so beautiful.

There are some really fantastic sights in Utah - but without question the most beautiful place I have ever been is up near Whistler on a hike to Garibaldi Lake. We hiked up to the top of a mountain overlooking Garibaldi Lake and it was an incredible sight.

#12 ·
Looks really nice - the woodwork turned out great - What projector are you considering?

#15 ·
Looking really good, the trim really works well with the black.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte
Looking really good, the trim really works well with the black.
My thinking exactly which leads me to ask...what color stain did you use?

#19 ·
Love that old gear!

#23 ·
Ouch! That's going to leave a mark, eh Tony?!

#24 ·
Its incredible what you were able to do in such a "small" space. I really like those wood panels, they go pretty darn well with the black. The room just looks so cozy! No wonder why your family spends most of the their time there!