The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1287 Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I like that idea. Build them so that anywhere near the lights is solid and non combustable. Then, everywhere that you can fit these fabric frames do that with nothing solid behind the frame. In hindsight....

Check out Jelloslug's thread. He's got some of a similar approach I think.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1287 Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Oh, that's a clever maneuver that Jelloslug came up with. Thanks for the pointers! It looks like I'll have to just buy myself that Kreg jig after all! Awwww shucks!!

Oh, and my name's Jon.
post #273 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Sorry Jon I knew that not sure why I used dan

That exact thing happens a LOT. No worries!
post #274 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made new renderings over the weekend. This shows the new plan for the carved MDF wall panels and fabric-covered acoustic panels (below). The MDF will be painted but I'm unsure of the color at this time.

This is all I did this weekend for the theater build. I did a real estate photo shoot on Sunday and Christmas shopping on Saturday!
post #275 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really like the wavy, 3d wall panel idea Jon. As a matter of fact, I actually ran across a company several months ago that sells them. They're pretty proud of them though so I decided to go in another direction. Pretty cool that you'll be able to create them yourself.

Keep up the great work!

Cory

The BAMA Theatre Build - feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #276 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I made new renderings over the weekend. This shows the new plan for the carved MDF wall panels and fabric-covered acoustic panels (below). The MDF will be painted but I'm unsure of the color at this time.

This is all I did this weekend for the theater build. I did a real estate photo shoot on Sunday and Christmas shopping on Saturday!

I spy screenshot 30 mins or less......

more pics! more pics! (stomps feet!)
post #277 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Push pins are a good tip, thank you!

I was planning to glue the fabric to the can light's metal base and then cut out the hole with a razor knife after the fabric is installed.

I experimented with cutting holes in GOM FR701 glued to MDF with 3m spray adhesive and it was hard to get a decent cut. Keep in mind if you are trying to do long continuous sections of fabric, a single mistake in cutting is going to cost you. I actually think building frames will save time and effort in the long run and will probably give nicer results also. In addition should you ever have to access wiring in one of your can lights due to a problem you will have to remove the glued on fabric and probably have to redo the fabric.

I want some of those wavy mdf panels for my back wall just for decoration - those are really cool.
post #278 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

I really like the wavy, 3d wall panel idea Jon. As a matter of fact, I actually ran across a company several months ago that sells them. They're pretty proud of them though so I decided to go in another direction. Pretty cool that you'll be able to create them yourself.

Keep up the great work!

Cory

Thanks! Yeah, those things are REALLY expensive if you buy them retail. Just like DIY Home Theater, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I spy screenshot 30 mins or less......

more pics! more pics! (stomps feet!)

Ding ding ding! I rented that movie on Friday night and was just rolling. I LOVE LOVE LOVE heist movies so the combination of a heist movie and Aziz Ansari? Yes. That had to be a winner.

I'll work on pics, man but there's almost ZERO chance of any progress happening downstairs until the new year! I just got an iPhone 4S so maybe I'll feel inclined to share a few quick still shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I experimented with cutting holes in GOM FR701 glued to MDF with 3m spray adhesive and it was hard to get a decent cut. Keep in mind if you are trying to do long continuous sections of fabric, a single mistake in cutting is going to cost you. I actually think building frames will save time and effort in the long run and will probably give nicer results also. In addition should you ever have to access wiring in one of your can lights due to a problem you will have to remove the glued on fabric and probably have to redo the fabric.

I want some of those wavy mdf panels for my back wall just for decoration - those are really cool.

That's some really good advice, thankyou. I think that I'll make the frames after all. I really liked the looks of Jelloslug's solution where he installed MDF inserts over the can lights and then filled the remainder of the space with fabric-covered frames.

If the wavy MDF panels are as easy to cut as I hope they'll be then I have no problem making some for you... it might be a little cost prohibitive to ship to you though! By the way, I'm not intending for them to have any acoustic function. They'll certainly do some high frequency dispersion but I'm not depending on it.

Subwoofer Questions
Since I have everyone's ear I was wondering if you guys could point me towards some DIY subwoofer building resources. I poked my head into the subwoofer forum but that seems like it's 99% retail subs.

I'm of the mindset that I can calculate my room's volume, figure out how much SPL I need, pick a driver, and build a sealed box according to the suggestions from the driver manufacturer. I realize that this is a huge oversimplification of the process but I was hoping you could point me to a tutorial or give me some rules of thumb.
post #279 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Subwoofer Questions
Since I have everyone's ear I was wondering if you guys could point me towards some DIY subwoofer building resources. I poked my head into the subwoofer forum but that seems like it's 99% retail subs.

I'm of the mindset that I can calculate my room's volume, figure out how much SPL I need, pick a driver, and build a sealed box according to the suggestions from the driver manufacturer. I realize that this is a huge oversimplification of the process but I was hoping you could point me to a tutorial or give me some rules of thumb.

Brad H. and others have built the THT sub. Tony123 put the Danley DTS-10s together. Of course these are both kits. If you're looking for something from the ground up, I'm afraid I don't know.

Cory

post #280 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My completely unfounded and unheard recommendation is to check out the DTS-10. I think this is the route I will go, its cool to have the guys at Danley interacting on that thread.
post #281 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

That exact thing happens a LOT. No worries!

You LOOK like a Dan. I'm just sayin' But it could be your screen name j DAN forth.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #282 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

.........I'll work on pics, man but there's almost ZERO chance of any progress happening downstairs until the new year! I just got an iPhone 4S so maybe I'll feel inclined to share a few quick still shots.

Well, I'm up to around 5 pages in my thread and don't have any "real" theater projects. Just a post a picture of anything you come across. Heck, one of the members here (I'm not naming any names, but I think it was mistaforty) resorted to posting pictures of his brand new, and I would contend unused, wheel barrow.

We don't need progress, we just like pictures!

Edit: And sadly, you will likely be referred to as Dan from now on. It's kinda like a nickname, you don't get to pick. But on the bright side, they could have started calling you something like peckernat! See, Dan is way better!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #283 of 1287 Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Well, I'm up to around 5 pages in my thread and don't have any "real" theater projects. Just a post a picture of anything you come across. Heck, one of the members here (I'm not naming any names, but I think it was mistaforty) resorted to posting pictures of his brand new, and I would contend unused, wheel barrow.

We don't need progress, we just like pictures!

Edit: And sadly, you will likely be referred to as Dan from now on. It's kinda like a nickname, you don't get to pick. But on the bright side, they could have started calling you something like peckernat! See, Dan is way better!

Oh I agree.

Anything, really anything at all will keep the natives from getting restless.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #284 of 1287 Old 12-21-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 215
post #285 of 1287 Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brad H. and others have built the THT sub. Tony123 put the Danley DTS-10s together. Of course these are both kits. If you're looking for something from the ground up, I'm afraid I don't know.

Cory

I'm not adversed to a kit, for sure. I'll have to look into the THT sub since I was previously unaware of it. I have heard Tony123's sub in person and it certainly gets the job done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

My completely unfounded and unheard recommendation is to check out the DTS-10. I think this is the route I will go, its cool to have the guys at Danley interacting on that thread.

I wasn't aware that they were active in the thread. Thanks for letting me know!

Sorry for the lack of pics and video, everybody! I've been swamped and accomplished almost nothing since installing the lights!

I'll see about taking some snaps tonight. I was hoping to do it last night but didn't get back from Christmas shopping until 10:30.
post #286 of 1287 Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Sorry for the lack of pics and video, everybody! I've been swamped and accomplished almost nothing since installing the lights!
...Christmas shopping until 10:30.

Tell me about it... who knew Christmas was such a time-suck?!
post #287 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Tell me about it... who knew Christmas was such a time-suck?!

Yeah... the thing is though that our family REALLY doesn't go nuts. It just seems like we always wind up at the mall for one reason or another. I actually WENT to the mall on Tuesday to buy jeans for my son. (aside: why is it that 7 year olds can't make a pair of jeans last for more than a couple months?!?)

As promised I took a few photos with my new iPhone last night. The camera is certainly the best camera phone I've ever had but it's certainly not what I would call a "good camera"!

I made a 12x12 mockup of the wavy wall. It's DAMNED COOL! Check it:

I also keep adding to my design wall. You can see that I haven't fished the electrical wiring into the wall yet for the new lights. I'm going to fish that in eventually but I'm not in a rush. I'm hoping that Lutron will release a CFL/LED dimmer that's part of their Maestro series so I haven't bought the dimmers I want yet.

I have also been working on painting the soffits (and walls when I get bored). After the suggestions from you fine folks I think I'm going to enclose the sides with fabric-covered frames held on with Velcro.

The paint might not be necessary with my new soffit plan but I figured that I might as well do it to minimize visibility through the soffit fabric. To be honest, I have been busy doing things that are cheap/free lately because I've spent a lot on this project in the past month in buying the LED lights for the ceiling, can light fixtures, wire, etc. I happened to have the gallon of Mouse Ears already...

Again, I apologize for the abysmal cameraphone pics!

I've also been reading up on the Danley DTS-10 and that thing looks like a BEAST! I'm not sure how much the kit costs though... is there any kind of AVS discount? Tony123, you have two, don't you? What kind of amplification do you need to run one of these bad boys?
post #288 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
That came out really nice! How long did it take for the 1sqf piece to be cut?
post #289 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

That came out really nice! How long did it take for the 1sqf piece to be cut?

Thanks! It took something like 20 minutes to set up the piece, 5-10 minutes to set up the machine, and 5 minutes to actually cut it.
post #290 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, you guys asked for more photos so here's a good one! My company installed a 103" plasma in one of the new dorms at Duke. I'm here working on the touchpanel UI right now. Here's me next to this thing taken today. This screen is roughly the size of a queen-sized mattress if you've never seen one in person.

post #291 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
103" plasma? Check! Crestron control system? Check! Two swiveling access racks loaded with source components? Check!

No wonder Duke tuition is so high!!!

New plan - instead of a front projector in your theater why don't you just use one of those "damaged" 103" inch displays? ;-)
post #292 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

103" plasma? Check! Crestron control system? Check! Two swiveling access racks loaded with source components? Check!

No wonder Duke tuition is so high!!!

New plan - instead of a front projector in your theater why don't you just use one of those "damaged" 103" inch displays? ;-)

Surprisingly, these things aren't acoustically transparent! Also my screen will be bigger.

I think you'll understand if I refrain from commenting on your other comments.
post #293 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I poked my head into the subwoofer forum but that seems like it's 99% retail subs.

There's actually a separate DIY speakers and subs forum, with some VERY knowledgeable and helpful guys that can help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

As far as resources - the main tools of the trade for subwoofer design seem to be WinISD and HornResp.

Quote:

Cory

I'm very happy with the THT LPs I built - they are high bang for the buck. Each cost about $250-$300 to build, and I'm powering the pair with a modest QSC RMX850 rack power amp (had it already), and EQing with a Behringer FBQ2496 that I bought on eBay for $60. They are inexpensive, high output and don't require a ton of power (vs. sealed) and associated special electrical circuits. The tradeoff is that they drop off in (my) room under about 18 Hz. Oh, and of course they are very big - folded and tapped horns are.

The DTS-10s are also reportedly very nice - they will extend lower than the THT - but they do cost quite a bit more. I think the kits for DTS-10 were only available for a limited time, and that time is up (for now)? The THT you just buy the plan for $15, and build it yourself - no kit.
post #294 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Silently following thus build... Looks awesome so far, and I love the videos!

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #295 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

There's actually a separate DIY speakers and subs forum, with some VERY knowledgeable and helpful guys that can help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

As far as resources - the main tools of the trade for subwoofer design seem to be WinISD and HornResp.

I'm very happy with the THT LPs I built - they are high bang for the buck. Each cost about $250-$300 to build, and I'm powering the pair with a modest QSC RMX850 rack power amp (had it already), and EQing with a Behringer FBQ2496 that I bought on eBay for $60. They are inexpensive, high output and don't require a ton of power (vs. sealed) and associated special electrical circuits. The tradeoff is that they drop off in (my) room under about 18 Hz. Oh, and of course they are very big - folded and tapped horns are.

The DTS-10s are also reportedly very nice - they will extend lower than the THT - but they do cost quite a bit more. I think the kits for DTS-10 were only available for a limited time, and that time is up (for now)? The THT you just buy the plan for $15, and build it yourself - no kit.

That's great advice, thanks! I'll be frequenting that forum now that I know it exists!

I'm looking at the THT site now and WOW! That Tuba HT is gigantic! 36x36x24!!! The LP version could certainly go on the stage behind the screen pointing up... I have a LOT to learn about subs!
post #296 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Silently following thus build... Looks awesome so far, and I love the videos!

Thanks! No need to be silent, by the way! Chime in whenever you feel like it and ask questions, make keen observations, etc.
post #297 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

By the way, everybody, I just put four new tires on my car and bought a shiny present for my wife... it looks like we'll be pushing aside progress for a while longer. :-(
post #298 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, everybody, I just put four new tires on my car and bought a shiny present for my wife... it looks like we'll be pushing aside progress for a while longer. :-(

Ah, I feel your pain. I hate it when life gets in the way of a good HT build. I have done the "pay as you go plan" building out my basement so I have been through many cycles of progress and no progress due to financial constraints. When I get to the point where I have to stop the bleeding for a while I usually have several projects that are of little dollar investment but take considerable time investment.

I'm sure with a frugal eye to the family budget you'll be back in construction mode in no time flat!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #299 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I'm looking at the THT site now and WOW! That Tuba HT is gigantic! 36x36x24!!! The LP version could certainly go on the stage behind the screen pointing up... I have a LOT to learn about subs!

Oh also keep in mind that one of the dimensions of the THT (including the LP version) variable (to some degree).
post #300 of 1287 Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 PM

From the Danley website...
"*New*DTS-10 DIY Kits back by popular demand! From today through September 30, 2011 for only $1,075! To place your order, call us at 877-419-5805 or send us an email to james@danleysoundlabs.com"

Maybe you could still get the kit with a little sweet talk. But as you can see and as Brad mentioned, it's significantly more expensive.

Cory

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page