Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Where was RT on this one!?

This is more up my alley.....

Trying to leave about 930-10 tomorrow should see ya 12-1!

DOH! Completely missed that one for sure. Can't win em all I guess.

Too Funny.

Well I am expecting something extremely productive and spectacular from the both of you tomorrow!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1287 Old 02-04-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Science!!

Nickshitachi dropped by today and we're having fun with the subwoofer, REW, and Skrillex!

More later... Subwoofer fever!!
post #453 of 1287 Old 02-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Science!!

Nickshitachi dropped by today and we're having fun with the subwoofer, REW, and Skrillex!

The BAMA Theatre Build - feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #454 of 1287 Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

Incredible! I just heard this song 10 minutes ago on my way back from Home Depot! Haven't heard it in years probably.

post #455 of 1287 Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Science!!

John,

Thanks to you and your family for having me over! I had a great time!

No movie yet!? :P

Did you finish getting that linacoustic up? If so let me know about when and well remeasure that thing!

I really liked the sound of the F-20 i would love to hear two of those working your room.

Your theater didnt disappoint man thats gonna be one killer media room when your done.

Offer stands for you and the fam to come visit me at the beach sometime for another nerd get together.

PM me your email and ill send the measurement files we captured for you to play with.......

Cheers!
Nicholas

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #456 of 1287 Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Science!!

I think the only known cure for subwoofer fever is more subwoofers.

NERDS UNITE!!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #457 of 1287 Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

NERDS UNITE!!

Regards,

RTROSE

Eh, more a long term treatment in my case, my symptoms always come back!

post #458 of 1287 Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

John,

Thanks to you and your family for having me over! I had a great time!

No movie yet!? :P

Did you finish getting that linacoustic up? If so let me know about when and well remeasure that thing!

I really liked the sound of the F-20 i would love to hear two of those working your room.

Your theater didnt disappoint man thats gonna be one killer media room when your done.

Offer stands for you and the fam to come visit me at the beach sometime for another nerd get together.

PM me your email and ill send the measurement files we captured for you to play with.......

Cheers!
Nicholas

If all goes well then I'm going to start hanging the Linacoustic tonight after work. I'm anxious to remeasure after the Linacoustic application.

I really appreciate the offer for visiting your theatre. I'll take you up on that sometime. Thanks so much for coming! I'm glad that I've established a baseline for the room.

Other than the high RT60 stemming from the untreated drywall I was pleased to see that the biggest hurdles I have to overcome are a ~+12dB 42Hz peak and a ~-5dB 26Hz null. I'd like to hear input from the group on how to tackle that. Superchunk?
post #459 of 1287 Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

NERDS UNITE!!

Regards,

RTROSE

Well I ordered a second driver...
post #460 of 1287 Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

...the biggest hurdles I have to overcome are a ~+12dB 42Hz peak and a ~-5dB 26Hz null. I'd like to hear input from the group on how to tackle that. Superchunk?

I think the traditional wisdom (a la Ethan Winer) is that broadband bass absorption is never a bad thing, and you can almost never have too much. The only caveat to that, at least comonly, is that bass absorption will also absorb higher frequencies, so paper backing or plastic sheeting should be considered to reflect high frequency sound back out into the room - to keep the room from being too "dead." I think a "superchunk" style trap is a good start.

Having said that, I'd love to see results from a tuned absorber (Helmholtz style). The calculators suggest I will have similar response in my room, and I'd enjoy having a tuned absorber - both for the fun of tinkering with it, as well as saving the space in the room.

Of course, the simplest soulution, IMO, is PEQ for the peak, and just ignore the null - 5 dB isn't that big. Will you have options for EQ of that sort?

Also, how is the response variation from seat to seat? Do you find that the peak and null are more-or-less uniform around the room?

Fred
post #461 of 1287 Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hello jdanforth,

Thanks for your kind words on my basement family room thread! I thought I'd stop over and give you some info, I'm not sure if you made any decisions yet, but the stone I bought for my gas fireplace set-up, was from a tile distributor in my area called: The Tile Shop is a link to one near Raleigh, but my fireplace is a gas zero clearance fireplace where this is absolutely no heat above the fireplace, yours looks like a wood burner, not quite sure, but many people came into the Tile Shop and bought the same stone as the one I bought for even the outside of their house, so it's installed and used in many area's.

Here are a couple of pics to show what it looks like, and how far I have got done, I'm on weight restrictions through the rest of this week, but very close to having it done by end of this weekend.

The pieces are 23.5" long x 5.875 wide, x 3/4 to 1.0 plus ( thickness varies with stone pieces ) but the back sides are mostly flat, here is a pic of what they look like:

Here is the current pic before I finish the rest this weekend, more pics will be at my basement / family room thread, if you have any questions, let me know, I'll be happy to offer any suggestions and or help in any way I can, one thing I can tell you is I learned a-lot by many suggestions by many on here, and all I can say is it's tough doing an all-in-one type of room, but with some homework and making some good decisions, will make it all worth it in the end!

take it easy.

post #462 of 1287 Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Other than the high RT60 stemming from the untreated drywall I was pleased to see that the biggest hurdles I have to overcome are a ~+12dB 42Hz peak and a ~-5dB 26Hz null. I'd like to hear input from the group on how to tackle that. Superchunk?

IMHO best plan of attack is to find the sub and seating locations that give you the best place to start from (least bad peaks and dips); then bass traps aplenty; then EQ.
post #463 of 1287 Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad horstkotte View Post

imho best plan of attack is to find the sub and seating locations that give you the best place to start from (least bad peaks and dips); then bass traps aplenty; then eq.

+1

post #464 of 1287 Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NicksHitachi just sent over his pretty graphs from our room measurement on Saturday. Here they are. This is in my untreated room.

Obviously there's quite a bit of reverberation in the room. After seeing these data I'm starting to doubt my treatment plan (and, thus, aesthetic plan) for the walls.

I had originally planned to install:
  1. a sandwich of 1" Linacoustic, 3mil plastic, and 1" Linacoustic on the screen wall
  2. 47" of 1" Linacoustic on all remaining walls starting from about 3 inches up above the carpet
  3. Stack of OC703 in at least one corner (the stage right)
  4. Stuffing the soffits with R30 and drywalling
  5. Wave wall (assuming it will be good for some high-frequency scattering)

This plan is starting to look like too much high-frequency attenuation in the room. I think that I tame the bass a little bit with the OC703 stacks in the corner(s) so I'm less concerned about that. I'm hoping that the brain trust will chime in with some input.
post #465 of 1287 Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

What does it sound like?

What does it look like?

What did you expect the graphs to show?

All I'm trying to get at is, "Why would you let this change your mind?" Is your room different from many others' here (not that their solutions should be yours, but what do you see here that suggests you're not on the right track?)? That's mostly a rhetorical question, because I think unless you know already what these plots "should" look like for the room to sound the way you want, AND what level of influence your proposed treatment plan is going to have, how can you second guess now? I know there's a lot of information, and you probably have at least as good a handle on it as (probably better than) I do. I can imagine seeing the longish decay times in the waterfall and thinking evil thoughts of self-doubt, but the treatments are going to change this a lot, (right?) so let them, then tweak.

(Sorry; I've rambled)

Fred
post #466 of 1287 Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Good points from Hopeful Fred. My input: load up on bass trapping! I trapped only the front 3 corners of my room , but wish I would have also included bass trapping in the back!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #467 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

What does it sound like?

What does it look like?

What did you expect the graphs to show?

All I'm trying to get at is, "Why would you let this change your mind?" Is your room different from many others' here (not that their solutions should be yours, but what do you see here that suggests you're not on the right track?)? That's mostly a rhetorical question, because I think unless you know already what these plots "should" look like for the room to sound the way you want, AND what level of influence your proposed treatment plan is going to have, how can you second guess now? I know there's a lot of information, and you probably have at least as good a handle on it as (probably better than) I do. I can imagine seeing the longish decay times in the waterfall and thinking evil thoughts of self-doubt, but the treatments are going to change this a lot, (right?) so let them, then tweak.

(Sorry; I've rambled)

Fred

Thanks, Fred. This is exactly what I wanted so don't feel bad about "rambling."

Why would I let this change my mind? Because my treatment plan was almost entirely driven by what others have done and not by what the room needs necessarily.

I'm confident that the screen-wall Linacoustic sandwich is essential so I think I'll do that first and just listen after each stage of treatment.
post #468 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Good points from Hopeful Fred. My input: load up on bass trapping! I trapped only the front 3 corners of my room , but wish I would have also included bass trapping in the back!

I have officially heard this enough now to know that you can't have enough bass trapping.
post #469 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

IMHO best plan of attack is to find the sub and seating locations that give you the best place to start from (least bad peaks and dips); then bass traps aplenty; then EQ.

Solid plan, thanks. Nick and I moved the mic around a fair bit and found that 14' was pretty much the best place for audio. That agrees pretty well with my plan for viewing distance so I'm going to plan around that.
post #470 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

After seeing these data I'm starting to doubt my treatment plan (and, thus, aesthetic plan) for the walls.

DON'T DO IT! Then we'd have a waffle wall theater with no waffle walls! It'd be the pancake wall theater

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #471 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not a fan of some of the padded rooms i've seen on here. A mix of precise imaging for the front/center and ambiance/envelopment for the rear of the room contributes to a believable sound field. Some specular HF reflection can actually be desireable behind the listener in smallish rooms where surrounds can be discretely localized.

You may even get away with treating the side walls all the way to listening position with a smathering of bass trap panels and some corner traps, but you MUST ultimately decide what sounds good to John Danforth.

post #472 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

No Waffle Wall = No Waffle Wall theater. I'm signing the No Pancake Wall theater petition!

Waffle Wall!!! Waffle Wall!!!! Waffle Wall!!! Who cares what a little graph says? It is your ears that really count!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #473 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Everybody knows waffles are better. They hold more syrup and butter. I mean, they offer more diffraction and better acoustics. That's right, because we're talking about theaters and not breakfast.

On a completely unrelated note, I have the sudden urge to go to Ihop!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #474 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM

This is sounding more like a crepe wall theater to me.

After much audio/video scientific research, the experts here at AVS Forum have reached a consensus...

Waffle wall > Acoustic harmony

Hope this helps,
Cory

post #475 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would I let this change my mind? Because my treatment plan was almost entirely driven by what others have done and not by what the room needs necessarily.

I'm confident that the screen-wall Linacoustic sandwich is essential so I think I'll do that first and just listen after each stage of treatment.

I hope you can measure at each stage too. That's what I'm hoping to do... if I ever get off the sofa and get back to building (I mean, finish demolition...). It would be very informative to you and the masses (me) to see the decay times and total energy come down as you add treatments. But like you said, listening carefully at each stage is very important.

Can you post a current picture of the space and give us some more dimensions (wall area - treated vs non-treated, floor/ceiling area, total volume)?
post #476 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

This is sounding more like a crepe wall theater to me.

After much audio/video scientific research, the experts here at AVS Forum have reached a consensus...

Waffle wall > Acoustic harmony

Hope this helps,
Cory

Oh, NO not crepe!!! That's french right? Well if he goes French we know what that means, he waves the white flag and gives up and then the neighbor takes over the theater. DOH! Can't have that! Waffles are at least Belgian or the really big ones are, that is at least a little better.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #477 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

RT,
With wit like that; Hanes will soon be showing up, and....I'm sure he will be throwing his 2 cents in, with a snappy photo of some sort

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #478 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm kinda partial to waffles myself ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #479 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Yup, I LOVE waffles!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #480 of 1287 Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I knew he would come thru!
Well done Hanes - Well done!!!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema