AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Thanks again!

Editing some video tonight while I wait for mud to dry. My wife and I are going to work down in the theatre shortly: sanding, cleaning, and starting to paint. YEAH.

Just realized I didn't say, "Your Welcome!"

Quote:

New Video!

Wiring, Subwoofers, Drywall, Guest Stars! Including our own NicksHitachi!

Dude people don't realize how much extra work you do to bring those vids. I was impressed and I only saw the capture portion of the production.

And doing my part to keep your vid at the top of the page, but my settings are to display last post first so the top of the page thing only works for the last post anyways.....

Cheers,

Nicholas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Screen arrived! I'm building a DIY screen using fabric and velvet from SeymourAV. I'm amazed at the low price. Chris' retail pricing is less than the dealer cost of a lot of the Big Boys screen companies.

Having just installed a Da-Lite microperf at a job I can tell you that I am a 100% convert to woven.
post #693 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 216
So that'll be the Center Stage XD? It's what I'm planing for also. I'd be very interested in your plans for frame and tension. Are you going to work from someone else's plans or do you have something innovative up your sleeve?

Also, was there something disappointing about the Da-Lite microperf?
post #694 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Whats up with that purple flashing lightbulb at the end of the video?
post #695 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Whats up with that purple flashing lightbulb at the end of the video?

It's one of these color-changing LED bulbs but the time-lapse frames were 4s long so it seems to have just blended together. That's the same bulb that's flashing all the colors in the opening of my lighting video.

Since all of those can lights are going to be behind the screen (and on their own dimmer) I was planning to put in four of these color cycling bulbs in eyeball trims to point at the back of the screen. The idea is that you get a cool backlight effect when the projector is off.
post #696 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

So that'll be the Center Stage XD? It's what I'm planing for also. I'd be very interested in your plans for frame and tension. Are you going to work from someone else's plans or do you have something innovative up your sleeve?

Also, was there something disappointing about the Da-Lite microperf?

I was planning to work off of the plans on the Seymour site, more or less. I'm probably going to use the finger-jointed primed pine at Home Depot for the project.

The Da-Lite had the worst screen door effect I've ever seen. Maybe it was just the combination of a 720p projector and a micro perf but I don't know. I didn't like it but I didn't try to fix it either.
post #697 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was planning to work off of the plans on the Seymour site, more or less. I'm probably going to use the finger-jointed primed pine at Home Depot for the project.

The Da-Lite had the worst screen door effect I've ever seen. Maybe it was just the combination of a 720p projector and a micro perf but I don't know. I didn't like it but I didn't try to fix it either.

Youll love the xd.

The screen frame is not so critical but the border frame is what gets seen and IS critical.

ill post a link to where i got the idea for mine tomorrow im on my phone now.....
post #698 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Nick. I'm sure your screen frame is well thought out!
post #699 of 1287 Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ceiling and soffits painted! My wife and I aren't happy with the soffit color; too light. I wanted two shades below black or so... Maybe it will grow on us.

Another coat tomorrow, painting the stairwell and ceiling, and then some cleanup.

I looked at carpet today at home depot and didn't find anything with patterns whatsoever. I'm going to call our flooring guy next week.

I think I'll start on molding between the soffits and ceiling this weekend. Not sure about the design... Something simple maybe.

Attachment 243402
LL
post #700 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

JD, here is the border idea I was talking about....

Border Idea
post #701 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I struck out at Home Depot as well trying to find a carpet that had a nice pattern. Fortunately, we have lots of carpet stores nearby.
post #702 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

See those stripey marks on the ceiling in the photo above? I figured that they were just differences in the paint being variously dry and wet. They were still there this morning when I checked! I was planning to do another pass anyway so hopefully that will take care of it. This is only the second time I've painted a ceiling any color except white. Any tips for getting the Mouse Ears even?
post #703 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

JD, here is the border idea I was talking about....

Border Idea

That's really thorough, thanks.

I had been looking at this guide posted on the Seymour site [PDF] which is very similar to how I've seen other people do it.

I'm probably going to do some sort of hybrid.
post #704 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

See those stripey marks on the ceiling in the photo above? I figured that they were just differences in the paint being variously dry and wet. They were still there this morning when I checked! I was planning to do another pass anyway so hopefully that will take care of it. This is only the second time I've painted a ceiling any color except white. Any tips for getting the Mouse Ears even?

I've seen this in other parts of my house where the previous owner painted a ceiling white. It's not as obvious since it's white, so I don't mind, but for your room, it's a problem.

I found this advice in the expanse of the internet and it seems to make sense.

If I understand this correctly; what you are seeing is caused by absorption of the primer and finish and not a physically thick area or line? Technically, the primer should have sealed the entire surface allowing for an even look when painted. It is possible that your ceilings need another coat of paint to give an even look (without the lines). Painting another coat on one ceiling would prove or disprove this idea.

If the areas are physically different than the surrounding areas, different texture causing the lines, than no amount of primer or paint will change this.

I would repaint or add another coat of paint to one of the ceilings. Maybe a bedroom ceiling, not too big but easy to see the lines. If the ceilings looks good after the paint dries then all ceilings need repainting.

Link: http://questions.house-painting-info...#axzz1rvhHqgb5

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #705 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When the contractor painted my room in black he sprayed it. On the punch list walk down I noted that the mud lines and some of the nail spots were visible in the paint. This was especially visible when the light came in the window at the far end of the room and lit up the surface so I could see the reflection off the different textures of plain drywall and where the mud was. It was very much like yours.

i think as previously noted its an issue of textures.

In the end he bought the most expensive paint he could buy at sherwin williams which was Ralph Lauren I think and repainted it all with roller. 3 coats later it was acceptable.

The paint your using is flat right? If not maybe consider reducing paint sheen if another coat or two doesn't cure it.

Aren't paint colors funny? The name of mine was "Dark Secret" lol
post #706 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I believe you mentioned that you didn't use a primer. I think that just one coat of dark paint over a very light paint color generally looks bad. The fact that there isn't a primer probably isn't helping. I'd try another coat and see what happens.
post #707 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

I've seen this in other parts of my house where the previous owner painted a ceiling white. It's not as obvious since it's white, so I don't mind, but for your room, it's a problem.

I found this advice in the expanse of the internet and it seems to make sense.

If I understand this correctly; what you are seeing is caused by absorption of the primer and finish and not a physically thick area or line? Technically, the primer should have sealed the entire surface allowing for an even look when painted. It is possible that your ceilings need another coat of paint to give an even look (without the lines). Painting another coat on one ceiling would prove or disprove this idea.

If the areas are physically different than the surrounding areas, different texture causing the lines, than no amount of primer or paint will change this.

I would repaint or add another coat of paint to one of the ceilings. Maybe a bedroom ceiling, not too big but easy to see the lines. If the ceilings looks good after the paint dries then all ceilings need repainting.

Link: http://questions.house-painting-info...#axzz1rvhHqgb5

Thanks, Steve. I think you're dead right. I should have used primer!

Another coat or two and I should be right as rain.
post #708 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mine got smoother with each coat. 1 coat primer, 3 coats paint. It's just about perfect now. You'll get good results with multiple coats.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #709 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When the contractor painted my room in black he sprayed it. On the punch list walk down I noted that the mud lines and some of the nail spots were visible in the paint. This was especially visible when the light came in the window at the far end of the room and lit up the surface so I could see the reflection off the different textures of plain drywall and where the mud was. It was very much like yours.

i think as previously noted its an issue of textures.

In the end he bought the most expensive paint he could buy at sherwin williams which was Ralph Lauren I think and repainted it all with roller. 3 coats later it was acceptable.

The paint your using is flat right? If not maybe consider reducing paint sheen if another coat or two doesn't cure it.

Aren't paint colors funny? The name of mine was "Dark Secret" lol

Thanks, man. I am using Flat paint. The differences I'm seeing are, I think, a result of the different amounts of absorption by the ceiling because I didn't use primer.

I did consider spraying but I decided against it since I didn't want to spend all the money on equipment!
post #710 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Mine got smoother with each coat. 1 coat primer, 3 coats paint. It's just about perfect now. You'll get good results with multiple coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I believe you mentioned that you didn't use a primer. I think that just one coat of dark paint over a very light paint color generally looks bad. The fact that there isn't a primer probably isn't helping. I'd try another coat and see what happens.

Gotcha. I had always planned on two coats but I also hadn't expected the first coat to look so bad. Thanks for the tips!

The carpet guy is coming by tomorrow to measure and show us some samples! Woohoo!
post #711 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. I had always planned on two coats but I also hadn't expected the first coat to look so bad. Thanks for the tips!

The carpet guy is coming by tomorrow to measure and show us some samples! Woohoo!

Cant hide money!
post #712 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cant hide money!

Huh?
post #713 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh?

Its a saying we have in my parts when we get something for ourselves...... The other jokes "you can't hide money" Its a complement and jest.

Ill remove if it makes you uncomfortable.......
post #714 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its a saying we have in my parts when we get something for ourselves...... The other jokes "you can't hide money" Its a complement and jest.

Ill remove if it makes you uncomfortable.......

Haha, I get it now. . I don't have a problem with it, I'm just a bit slow.
post #715 of 1287 Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Here is another vote for at least three coats, especially if it is a very dark color. I'd say that once you get at least three coats on there you will see quite an improvement.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #716 of 1287 Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've put a second coat on the ceiling and the soffits now. The ceiling looks 100% better but I'm about to start a third coat. The soffits are excellent now that they grey is correct.

I wanted the soffits to be grey but the color I bought, "charcoal", was anything but when my wife put it on the soffits. I bought a gallon of something about two shades lighter than mouse ears and it looks spectacular now.

The soffits sort of emerge from the black ceiling with this subtle gradient now. Exactly what I wanted.

I've also put up two inches of Linacoustic on the screen wall. I really like the improved sound in the room. The room is far from dead but its acoustics have changed dramatically. I don't yet have the sound system hooked up but my wife and son both mentioned how easy it was to talk in the room.

I noticed immediately that the behaviour of slap echo changed. If you clap your hands in the room now the dwell time is far reduced but it is caused almost completely by the left and right walls instead of all four. It's weird. I'm not sure that I like it.

Carpet guy coming tomorrow morning to measure. I'm thinking about having wood installed at both entry ways to reduce wear and tear.
post #717 of 1287 Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM

I love your videos! It's so nice to watch someone elses' struggles and efforts as they work through their installation. With other threads, mine included, you get snapshots of progress, but it's not the same. You see that I have put up insulation. It's a picture or three. But with your videos, you see the work! It's comforting to see that work being done.

I'm jealous you only had to drywall the soffits you have. Although, in my room I much fewer lights, so maybe it's a wash.

Once you get your last coat on, let us see some picture of the painted surfaces. I'm curious to see how the coat made a difference in the covering of the stripes.

Excellent job so far!

post #718 of 1287 Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Managed to finish painting and install Linacoustic on the screen wall today. Rock.

Behind the screen: 2" acoustic absorber installed. Ceiling and soffits painted, can light trims painted, door vestibule painted, room tidied. Quite a lot done today!

I also saw a couch that I like rather a lot. Thinking about this in a dark grey. It's made by Palliser.
LL
LL
LL
post #719 of 1287 Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Managed to finish painting and install Linacoustic on the screen wall today. Rock.

Behind the screen: 2" acoustic absorber installed. Ceiling and soffits painted, can light trims painted, door vestibule painted, room tidied. Quite a lot done today!

I also saw a couch that I like rather a lot. Thinking about this in a dark grey. It's made by Palliser.

It's funny how "dark grey" can be so light in comparison to a home theater such as yours after being recently painted.

I'll be using sectional seating, too, and I think that couch look pretty comfortable as long as the prime spot has a place to put the feet up.

The front of the room looks great in black! You're getting close... that RS45 won't be idle for too long.

post #720 of 1287 Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I'm sure you can tell the level of difficulty just went way up in photographing the room...... Just about any time I have to take a picture I have to use supplemental lighting.

I really like your seating selection. One thing on Palliser, they are a bit firm to sit upon, which is fine with me, I actually prefer a firmer seat.

Good Job!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page