The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1287 Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Blergh... I had forgotten how annoying it was to configure Meridian 568.2mm and 562v hardware! I wish I had bought the 562v.2 instead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1287 Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spent my whole time in the theatre last night trying unsuccessfully to resolve a wiring problem with the rear channels. UGH! Meridian comms cables are really annoying to solder together especially given my poor choice in cabling. I wish I had pulled a smaller gauge 4 conductor wire for that.
post #813 of 1287 Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Hmmm hope those pesky wires(AKA hung projector) dont slow you down too much! :P
post #814 of 1287 Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hmmm hope those pesky wires(AKA hung projector) dont slow you down too much! :P

No, it's the pesky illnesses that are slowing me down. I'm still recovering from last week's crud.
post #815 of 1287 Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is the Seymour stuff the AT screen material of choice currently for the DIY guy ?
post #816 of 1287 Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Is the Seymour stuff the AT screen material of choice currently for the DIY guy ?

It is for THIS DIY guy but I wouldn't say it's the solution for everyone. I liked the look of their sample and their customer service was/is very good.
post #817 of 1287 Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: left and right walls are 87% painted (ran out of paint!). The rear wall is primed. Much left to do but I'm nearly back to my normal self. Hopefully by Saturday the creeping crud in my lungs will have finally been vanquished.

I still haven't figured out why my rear channels aren't working but I just ordered another half dozen 5-pin DIN COMMs connectors to replace the ones I've apparently mangled. I'm worried that I may have bridged a cable by tacking through it in the soffits or something! Cross your fingers that's not it!
post #818 of 1287 Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Do you have a continuity tester to confirm that the wire has not been damaged?
post #819 of 1287 Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Do you have a continuity tester to confirm that the wire has not been damaged?

I do. A job for another day. Paint first!
post #820 of 1287 Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
How do you know it is 87% and not 86% or 88% finished painting?

Good luck with the cables, hopefully it is something simple.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #821 of 1287 Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
86.9899989998989888889889989898889898988898888988niner
post #822 of 1287 Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

How do you know it is 87% and not 86% or 88% finished painting?

Good luck with the cables, hopefully it is something simple.

Regards,

RTROSE

I've become rather good at estimating work accomplished. Estimating the time necessary to finish is another question entirely!

I'll fiddle with the cables after I finish painting. I keep trying to jump to the end of the book! Thanks!
post #823 of 1287 Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Doc says that I had an asthma attack brought on by severe allergies combined with a bad cold.

See if you qualify for a tank of O2. Not as good as NO2, but still capable of turning that frown upside down.

post #824 of 1287 Old 05-11-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

see if you qualify for a tank of o2. Not as good as no2, but still capable of turning that frown upside down.

Hmmm...
post #825 of 1287 Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I voided the warranty on the Behringer iNuke 1000DSP last night. I've only owned it a week but that's not a record...

The Behringer has four transistors and an 85mm fan. The fan and transistors are covered by a plastic cowling that is apparently intended to direct the airflow from the fan right over the transistors instead of blowing all over the inside of the chassis cooling things that don't need cooling.

The fan that ships in this amp is L.O.U.D. In all fairness, the amp isn't designed for in-room home theatre use so I'm not sore about it being so annoying. I replaced the stock fan with a much better fan that is designed to run quieter. Fancy blades, motor, and such. "Designed in Austria". The fan I installed is the Noctua NF-R8 which is slower but FAR quieter.

Because the fan is slower I supplemented the cooling scheme by installing self-adhesive copper heat sinks directly to the transistors. I then reinstalled the plastic cowling to maintain the airflow. I had read that this cowling was the primary source of the turbulence and, thus, noise but I didn't find this to be the case with my slow Noctua fan.

The end result is a nearly silent amplifier. I ran it for a few hours last night while I was painting and it performed flawlessly.
post #826 of 1287 Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Would have been interesting to have gotten exhaust temperature readings before and after.

I'm glad my Behringer is in another room. Don't know how guys use these without a mod like yours.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #827 of 1287 Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Would have been interesting to have gotten exhaust temperature readings before and after.

I'm glad my Behringer is in another room. Don't know how guys use these without a mod like yours.

I thought about doing before-after measurements of temperature and noise but I was too eager to get back to painting.

The mod cost about $20 total. The heatsinks I bought came in a 4 pack. Their intended purpose is for XBox RAM or something. I bought them because they were small, self adhesive, and solid copper.
post #828 of 1287 Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Tony,

Almost stopped by the other day on my way back up the hill!! It was a little early (around 3:00pm) and figured all were still working/learning! Anyways, after fan-modding the EPX and running near clipping for a big movie and some really demanding music tracks, I went to the EPX assuming the heat to be piping, only to find out they slower silent fans were still pushing enough air through that it was still barely over room temp. I was shocked! but they I remember that these amps are used for pro apps, where they are often being pushed to the edge for 6 hours at a time. Needless to say, even with the fan upgrade on the FP it is still a little loud, but not unbearable, and nowhere near as loud as the berry stock.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #829 of 1287 Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished painting the left and right walls last night. It's amazing how the room comes together once you cut in the corners and edges. The blue and grey complement each other so well.

The rear wall is primed awaiting my busy butt to build the wave wall. That and further construction, I think, is going to have to wait until after Maker Faire NC on June 16th. This is crunch time for the festival and I need to turn my attention to it as much as I can.
post #830 of 1287 Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I finished painting the left and right walls last night. It's amazing how the room comes together once you cut in the corners and edges. The blue and grey complement each other so well.

The rear wall is primed awaiting my busy butt to build the wave wall. That and further construction, I think, is going to have to wait until after Maker Faire NC on June 16th. This is crunch time for the festival and I need to turn my attention to it as much as I can.

Are you really going to make us wait another month for updated pics and/or another time lapse video? That's sort of like Santa saying, "Sorry, I probably won't be in your neighborhood until mid-January this year."
post #831 of 1287 Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Are you really going to make us wait another month for updated pics and/or another time lapse video? That's sort of like Santa saying, "Sorry, I probably won't be in your neighborhood until mid-January this year."

Haha, sorry. That wasn't meant to sound like a farewell letter! I have a video in the hopper that's looking pretty good. I may add some more footage to it but you should see it soon!
post #832 of 1287 Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So are we now at say 93% completion of painting? Oh, and can't wait to see the video of the painting, that should be cool.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #833 of 1287 Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are we now at say 93% completion of painting? Oh, and can't wait to see the video of the painting, that should be cool.

93% sounds about right!

My son had a friend sleepover last night so the whole family plus our guest watched Tron Legacy in the theatre while sitting in beach chairs. There are so many things left to do but I bit my tongue and didn't say a thing. EVERYBODY loved it and had an awesome time!

Those subwoofers hit HARD! I've got some anti-rattle work to do with the can lights! I knew that I would have to do that anyway... no foul.

I still can't believe that the whole thing is ours.
post #834 of 1287 Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Tron Legacy is a mediocre movie with a phenomenal sound track and just as good mixing with the surrounds. I love the grid scene as it is a very dynamic part of the movie.

I do the same thing with my theater. I sit down and start watching a movie and then think "man I can't believe this is in MY basement." Still grin ear to ear when things get fired up down there.

Glad you are at the point you can enjoy your theater.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh and for the anti rattle solution I used zip ties on the expandable arms of my can lights to keep them from vibrating. Works like a charm. I did however loose my first sconce bulb to the subwoofer the other day. I was listening to THIS when it happened. Gives your system a really good workout.

post #835 of 1287 Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 869
RT,

Can you explain the zip ties a little further? I already have a huge bag of them, and plently of can light rattles myself

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #836 of 1287 Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tron Legacy is a mediocre movie with a phenomenal sound track and just as good mixing with the surrounds. I love the grid scene as it is a very dynamic part of the movie.

I do the same thing with my theater. I sit down and start watching a movie and then think "man I can't believe this is in MY basement." Still grin ear to ear when things get fired up down there.

Glad you are at the point you can enjoy your theater.

Regards,

RTROSE

Oh and for the anti rattle solution I used zip ties on the expandable arms of my can lights to keep them from vibrating. Works like a charm. I did however loose my first sconce bulb to the subwoofer the other day. I was listening to THIS when it happened. Gives your system a really good workout.

The zip tie thing sounds great... Too bad I already sealed the soffits!

I'll pull up that link when I get home!
post #837 of 1287 Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the zip tie thing is actually a very simple and elegant solution (if your light cans are still exposed). I wish I had a picture, but what you do is tightly secure a zip tie or two on each "arm" of the cans where the extensions are pulled out to secure them to the floor joists or other ceiling structure.

Something like this.

Sorry for the crude example, it is all I could come up with in photobucket, but I think you get the idea.

Works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #838 of 1287 Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I had a couple can rattles, but in my case, it was mostly due to light bulb filaments, so replacing a couple bulbs took care of it.

My closet door on the other hand, I need to figure out how to tighten up the latch mechanism, or maybe add weatherstripping. Although it is kind of fun to listen to it complain when I put on "Pulse".
post #839 of 1287 Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went into the local Blockbuster Video store last night. I thought to myself "Self, you can probably find some good used Blu-rays in there."

Sure enough there were used Blu-ray discs at 5 for $20. They didn't have the one I wanted to watch last night, Iron Man 2, so I looked in the new section. Their price? $39.99. It's $14.96 with free overnight shipping at Amazon. The used ones were a good deal so I picked out five and walked to the checkout.

At the checkout the woman glanced up at me and then continued on her personal phone call all about Diandre's love life. Poor Diandre. Things are not going well for him.

After a minute or two of this I set the discs down and walked out. Is it any wonder that this company is doing so poorly?
post #840 of 1287 Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I had a couple can rattles, but in my case, it was mostly due to light bulb filaments, so replacing a couple bulbs took care of it.

My closet door on the other hand, I need to figure out how to tighten up the latch mechanism, or maybe add weatherstripping. Although it is kind of fun to listen to it complain when I put on "Pulse".

"Pulse"?

You might try just installing that self-adhesive weather strip around the door frame of your closet. I need to do something like that too.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page