AVS Forum banner

The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log

151K views 1K replies 104 participants last post by  J_P_A 
#1 · (Edited)
#1,027 ·
Bad news. My Blu-ray player died!

The good news is that my Blu-ray player died!

I've had an early generation Samsung player for years and it now is claiming that "this disc cannot be played" when I put in a Blu-ray. I haven't tried DVD yet. Bummer. Any suggestions?

#1,028 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1020#post_22534175

Bad news. My Blu-ray player died!

The good news is that my Blu-ray player died!

I've had an early generation Samsung player for years and it now is claiming that "this disc cannot be played" when I put in a Blu-ray. I haven't tried DVD yet. Bummer. Any suggestions?
I highly suggest one of the Oppo players if you're willing to spend the money on one. If you're going to buy one, you might as well buy the best. And fortunately, the best blu-ray player is only $500 as opposed to other high end pieces of equipment.

#1,029 ·
Don't know anything about them, but these two got high marks in recent reviews by Home Theater mag:

-Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - $150

-Sony BDP-S790 - $250

Prices are MSRP, not street price.

Glad to hear your room repairs are coming together.

#1,030 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1020#post_22534231

Don't know anything about them, but these two got high marks in recent reviews by Home Theater mag:

-Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - $150

-Sony BDP-S790 - $250

Prices are MSRP, not street price.

Glad to hear your room repairs are coming together.

+1 on the Sony.  Reviewer in that article said it performed as good as the Oppo for half the price.  I always had my eyes set on the Oppo for my end-all BR player but it seems the competition has caught up.

#1,031 ·
Last week I bought the Panny BDT220 for $119.00. So far I have been very impressed with BR Disc playback. Today I hope to experiment with streaming via VUDU, via my new upgraded 25Mb wired connection.

(The only negative I have heard of is that wireless connectivity may be an issue, especially when streaming Netflix, which I will not be doing)?

#1,033 ·
+1 for the OPPO. I have the 93 and have been very pleased with its performance with BR's, DVD's, and the streaming options. The YouTube interface is cumbersome but I typically don't use the OPPO for YouTube so it is a non issue. I bought the OPPO for its known upscaling abilities and its CS and OPPO's commitment to FW updates. I'm a firm believer of having a company that continually updates its older models as the newer ones come online. That kind of support can be hard to beat. I bought a Magnavox BR player for 50 bucks (I know, I know) and it's abilities to play BR is caput, I also bought a JVC XV-BP1 (an excellent player at the time) and while it still is performing well, it does have trouble with a few newer discs. I went an entire year without an update for that player. So you want to consider that aspect in choosing a player as well.

Regards,

RTROSE

#1,034 ·
As much as I wanted an Oppo, I have good/bad news! I reset power on the Samsung unit and now it plays discs again!

In other news, our heat exchanger is cracked in our 25 year old HVAC unit. Time for a new unit.
I knew this was coming when we bought the house last May but it still sucks. I have a connection with a Lennox dealer so we'll be getting a discount on their high end 15-SEER package unit. Damn thing's going to cost more more than my entire theatre project!

#1,035 ·
Good choice with the Lennox unit. I got a nice one (15 SEER) for my townhouse and while it cost about 3000 to put in, I got back about 2300 on the taxes because it is a 15+ SEER unit.

Sorry to hear all the stuff breaking though. I purchased and still use a PS3 for Blu-Ray. I read a year or so ago that it outperformed most stand alone BR players and I get the added bonus of gaming with it.

#1,037 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjpilot  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1020#post_22538037

Good choice with the Lennox unit. I got a nice one (15 SEER) for my townhouse and while it cost about 3000 to put in, I got back about 2300 on the taxes because it is a 15+ SEER unit.

Sorry to hear all the stuff breaking though. I purchased and still use a PS3 for Blu-Ray. I read a year or so ago that it outperformed most stand alone BR players and I get the added bonus of gaming with it.

How did you do the tax refund thing? Is that just federal, state, or both?

#1,038 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1020#post_22538044

Ouch! However on the brighter side; upgrading from a much less efficient, 25 yr old unit, will at least save you some monthly expenses ...!

I certainly hope so. The existing unit is from 1987 or so. I'm guessing it's about 7-8 SEER.

#1,039 ·
Your HVAC dealer should have the tax paperwork or your tax preparer would also be able to help. You will also want to check with your local utilities as they also may offer rebates on new equipment. I think between the electric and gas companies I got around 400.00 back in incentives for the upgrade. Then my utility bill went down by almost a hundred bucks. Nice bonus as well.

I think I have a way to make the Samsung go belly up again, my plan includes a glass of water and some electricity, or somehow making its way to the driveway were it "accidentally" ends up under one of your tires.

Regards,

RTROSE

#1,045 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1020#post_22540769

Got two of those myself, they are wonderful

I replaced my prehistoric thermostat last night with one of these Nest units. It took all of 15 minutes and I already love it.

The Nest doesn't interface with Crestron, AMX, Control4, etc. It just goes in and then learns your habits. This last part is still to be proven to me but even as a plain-old thermostat it's excellent. It's easy (and fun) to use. The data that it provides is already interesting. Having access to data about your temperature and humidity makes you conscious of it. When you're conscious of it you can choose to do something about it.

Pretty fun. Don't think about it; just go buy one.

#1,047 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1020#post_22540988

Don't think about it; just go buy one.

Where is your thermostat located? I have been considering the Nest (I'll admit, mainly because I'm a sucker for things I can control with an app), but my thermostat is located above a return in the formal dining room. I think we average about 1 person every few weeks in that room. My guess is the Nest could function, but would do be very little good away from people.

#1,048 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1050#post_22547226

Where is your thermostat located? I have been considering the Nest (I'll admit, mainly because I'm a sucker for things I can control with an app), but my thermostat is located above a return in the formal dining room. I think we average about 1 person every few weeks in that room. My guess is the Nest could function, but would do be very little good away from people.

It is a little more intuitive than that, but also, you can have it set-up to where it just operates as a standard ole' thermostat, that you can see from your iphone, and looks really cool. My old one just kpt making this annoying clicking sound so I opted for a switch-up

#1,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio  /t/1323919/the-timelapse-theatre-planning-n-build-log/1050#post_22547759

It is a little more intuitive than that, but also, you can have it set-up to where it just operates as a standard ole' thermostat, that you can see from your iphone, and looks really cool. My old one just kpt making this annoying clicking sound so I opted for a switch-up

Took the words out of my mouth...

I wouldn't sweat the automatic stuff, scl23enn4m3. Even if you disable all the automatic stuff the Nest is still, by far, the easiest to program thermostat ever made. Most programmable thermostats have awful user interfaces. You're doing really well to just program it the day you install it. Forget about reprogramming the damn things when the season changes and you've lost the manual!

#1,050 ·
Some of you may remember that my groovy CNC-cut MDF wall panels warped during the post-flood dehumidification process in my theatre.

I hatched a scheme to take the warp out of the panels and, knock on wood, it seems to have worked.

I took the panels off the wall and laid them on their face on the floor. Then I squidged a couple of tubes of maximum strength Liquid Nails on the back and laid a sheet of 3/4" birch plywood on top. Add a bunch of weight and, wouldn't you know it, the panels are almost perfectly flat now!

It helps to have a half dozen 90 pound speakers laying around to use as weight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.