The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1287 Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I like the 2-tone idea. It's very popular when using Trex-like products so I suspect it will look quite sharp. It's hard to see the difference in your mock-ups, but those 2 colors seem to work well together on the color chart. You're going to need a lot of that stuff.

Not that I want to ruin the fun of painting all of that lattice, but I have to ask if you really need it. I know you have the hot tub there and want some privacy, but from the pics, it looks like that area of the deck is elevated enough where it would be difficult to see from ground level or even from the adjacent neighbors. Is that the case or is it just the camera angle? Just thought I'd ask since now would be the time to replace it with balusters if that was an option.
jdanforth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1287 Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 980
I agree smile.gif I have priced my deck and it is about the same size as yours, although a little less hand-rail section. Right now I have standard issue 2x2 balusters but I have been looking at switching them out with something that requires no paint and updates the deck some. Maybe something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_108975-67197-74736_4294720370__?productId=3612658&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

The deck-over or deck-restore products do a great job and a co-worker of mine just finished doing his, and loves it. I realized my deck boards are just too far along at this point that they will have to be replaced, so I think I am going to do trex just piece by piece as the budget allows... With weddings plans that my just be one per week at this point.... haha!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #1263 of 1287 Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I like the 2-tone idea. It's very popular when using Trex-like products so I suspect it will look quite sharp. It's hard to see the difference in your mock-ups, but those 2 colors seem to work well together on the color chart. You're going to need a lot of that stuff.

Not that I want to ruin the fun of painting all of that lattice, but I have to ask if you really need it. I know you have the hot tub there and want some privacy, but from the pics, it looks like that area of the deck is elevated enough where it would be difficult to see from ground level or even from the adjacent neighbors. Is that the case or is it just the camera angle? Just thought I'd ask since now would be the time to replace it with balusters if that was an option.

Yeah I certainly will need a lot of the stuff.

The lattice is indeed there for privacy. The HT is elevated on that deck but in the winter time the leaves on that bush are all gone and you can pretty much see straight through.

I really like the idea of adding new balusters that I don't have to paint! I will consider that. Do you think it would look weird if I did the hot tub portion but still had wood balusters for the rest? I think it would look kinda bad unless I replace all of them. I estimate that I have over 100 of those jokers already...
post #1264 of 1287 Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking if the lattice wasn't needed, it could be replaced by new wood balusters and then ALL of the wood balusters (both new and old) would be painted for a consistent look. Since you do intend to keep the lattice for privacy, I think it would look best if both the lattice and existing balusters were painted. Leaving something unpainted is going to look funny.
post #1265 of 1287 Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I agree smile.gif I have priced my deck and it is about the same size as yours, although a little less hand-rail section. Right now I have standard issue 2x2 balusters but I have been looking at switching them out with something that requires no paint and updates the deck some. Maybe something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_108975-67197-74736_4294720370__?productId=3612658&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

The deck-over or deck-restore products do a great job and a co-worker of mine just finished doing his, and loves it. I realized my deck boards are just too far along at this point that they will have to be replaced, so I think I am going to do trex just piece by piece as the budget allows... With weddings plans that my just be one per week at this point.... haha!

Those metal balusters are sharp looking. If I didn't have so many to replace I'd consider them. Hmm. I may just count up how many I would need and see. I don't know that I'd save any time or money by switching but they would certainly age better and be easier to maintain!

Replacing boards one at a time scares me. I'm just petrified that the company will fold or discontinue the color or the color will fade too much between boards over time. That's the same reason why I'm saving up to replace ALL my windows at once instead of just doing a couple here and there. Maybe I'm crazy to think this way.

If you're going to do one board at a time you might as well put in something like teak! tongue.gif
post #1266 of 1287 Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Haha, I was kind of kidding about the one at a time thing smile.gif I AM however budgeting it as just that, a board a week I try and put away, about springtime I should be good to go. Also IRT windows, we are creating a budget for that for the wedding gifts. haha. Lowes wedding registration anyone?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1267 of 1287 Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Haha, I was kind of kidding about the one at a time thing smile.gif I AM however budgeting it as just that, a board a week I try and put away, about springtime I should be good to go. Also IRT windows, we are creating a budget for that for the wedding gifts. haha. Lowes wedding registration anyone?

i'm getting married soon and was REALLY disappointed in the registry options for Lowes or Home Depot. Big market they're missing out on rolleyes.gif
post #1268 of 1287 Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Gift cards biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1269 of 1287 Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Haven't tuned into your thread for a long time. In the beginning I wasn't sure what you were trying to accomplish with the wave wall but now that I see it; wow!

Heh... yeah, me neither but I'm glad that it worked out. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Good choice going with more of a family room feel, even though the equipment is high performance, dedicated theater worthy. A great place to just relax, whether a movie is playing or not.
I appreciate the "finished so far" pics, the index and the overview video at the beginning of your thread.
Great job.

Thanks very much! I'm glad you like it!
post #1270 of 1287 Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am late to the party on this one... I may have seen your thread awhile ago while dreaming large, but found it again as I am now looking for Crestron control of media for the space I ended up with. Google got me here today. As a side note, when I started reading my copy of November EH, I turned straight your write-up since "Crestron Programmer" was in the sub-title. A few days later I end up here because of the Google "XBMC Crestron" search. Nice job on your space...the article does not do all the work justice!

I need to start at the top and go through the complete thread, but here are the two things that I am not happy with at the moment with my configuration. I don't know if XBMC would help.

I have a small multi-use space. It is my den/computer room that contains a 72" screen above an L-shaped desk. I have an AV2 controlling hardware and I use both an XPanel and an iPad Mobile Pro G application to interface to the Crestron. I do not currently have my PC connected to the Radiance XS, but could.

1) If I want listen to iTunes through the AVR while at my desk, (a) I can use my Apple TV to accomplish that. However, I don't really want to waste the bulb hours for that. (b) If I try and use iTunes on the computer, running digital Audio out of the PC to the AVR or Radiance requires me to mess with which sound device is active. Sort of awkward. (c) If I try and do Airplay from the iPad to the Apple TV, I am bouncing back and forth between iTunes and Mobile Pro G on the iPad. Nothing seem simple and integrated enough. I would like to stay inside of either the Xpanel or Mobile Pro G that lets me browse and play from my library without requiring powering up the projector. I certainly have not found a CEN-ISERVER at a low enough price to use that as a solution. Not sure at what price point I would pick "it just works" by emptying my wallet for an iserver. Does XBMC help?

2) I have tried the Blu-Ray Demo discs on a DL DVD, but my Samsung player hates them. The player will stream the mt2s files off my PC, but the interface is painful to get there. Not to mention about half the time the Samsung cannot see the PC without a reboot. That really spoils the show and tell mood. It certainly looks like setting up XBMC could tackle that job with ease. I am not opposed to setting up a dedicated PC for that.

Can I kill both birds with one XBMC stone?

Hopefully, I am not hijacking your thread with my post. The crux of my inquiry is centered around your experience with Crestron control even if it does not clearly read that way.

Thanks
post #1271 of 1287 Old 12-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Jonathan

I've been watching your videos for a while. I love the theater you've built. Here's a random question. What brand is that gold/brown blanket on the couch? I've been looking for something like that for a while since I have similar colors in my setup. Any help would be appreciated.:)

post #1272 of 1287 Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

I am late to the party on this one... I may have seen your thread awhile ago while dreaming large, but found it again as I am now looking for Crestron control of media for the space I ended up with. Google got me here today. As a side note, when I started reading my copy of November EH, I turned straight your write-up since "Crestron Programmer" was in the sub-title. A few days later I end up here because of the Google "XBMC Crestron" search. Nice job on your space...the article does not do all the work justice!

I need to start at the top and go through the complete thread, but here are the two things that I am not happy with at the moment with my configuration. I don't know if XBMC would help.

I have a small multi-use space. It is my den/computer room that contains a 72" screen above an L-shaped desk. I have an AV2 controlling hardware and I use both an XPanel and an iPad Mobile Pro G application to interface to the Crestron. I do not currently have my PC connected to the Radiance XS, but could.

1) If I want listen to iTunes through the AVR while at my desk, (a) I can use my Apple TV to accomplish that. However, I don't really want to waste the bulb hours for that. (b) If I try and use iTunes on the computer, running digital Audio out of the PC to the AVR or Radiance requires me to mess with which sound device is active. Sort of awkward. (c) If I try and do Airplay from the iPad to the Apple TV, I am bouncing back and forth between iTunes and Mobile Pro G on the iPad. Nothing seem simple and integrated enough. I would like to stay inside of either the Xpanel or Mobile Pro G that lets me browse and play from my library without requiring powering up the projector. I certainly have not found a CEN-ISERVER at a low enough price to use that as a solution. Not sure at what price point I would pick "it just works" by emptying my wallet for an iserver. Does XBMC help?

2) I have tried the Blu-Ray Demo discs on a DL DVD, but my Samsung player hates them. The player will stream the mt2s files off my PC, but the interface is painful to get there. Not to mention about half the time the Samsung cannot see the PC without a reboot. That really spoils the show and tell mood. It certainly looks like setting up XBMC could tackle that job with ease. I am not opposed to setting up a dedicated PC for that.

Can I kill both birds with one XBMC stone?

Hopefully, I am not hijacking your thread with my post. The crux of my inquiry is centered around your experience with Crestron control even if it does not clearly read that way.

Thanks

Wow, I am VERY sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your kind words! The article was a lot of fun and it is really humbling to see my space in that magazine next to the really professional jobs (a category, to which, I do not believe mine belongs!).

I'm sure you've figured out something by now but here goes, nonetheless. Regarding the first issue. I have run into this precise problem myself and you need to weigh the value of playing iTunes Music Store-purchased content vs. playing your own music rips. If the scale tips to the former then XBMC will work fine. There are pretty good Crestron modules floating around the 'net to control XBMC that provide indirect text, etc. etc. The protocol is pretty basic HTTP get/put stuff too so it wouldn't be too difficult to roll your own. Another very viable and inexpensive music-only alternative is the old Logitech Squeezebox. I have one of their version two units that has been a ROCK SOLID performer for almost a decade. That's pretty remarkable for a box that streams digital media in my opinion. Pretty good modules available for that too.

XBMC is a bit of a Hydra. There are umpteen partially-supported add-in modules that lure you in and then kind of let you down. Personally I didn't want another hobby; I wanted a media server. I built and XBMC box and live with the limitations. I don't care that the music interface is kinda clunky via the OSD. The reality is that I hardly ever listen to music in the theatre anyway.

One trick that I like is to just live with the fact that if your iPad is your remote you will have to jump from app to app periodically. I'm a VERY good UI programmer and a VERY good Crestron programmer but I am not interested in attempting to replicate the ease that the native "Remote" app works at controlling an AppleTV. I use a call-out that automatically switches the user from Mobile Pro G (could they have come up with a worse name, really?) to Remote when the AppleTV button is pressed. I also call-out from Crestron to the XBMC remote control app. It works beautifully and it lowers the programming burden considerably.

Now if only Nest would put the call-out feature in their API! You can browse the possibilities here: http://handleopenurl.com/ I've emailed Nest repeatedly about adding the openURL feature to their app but it falls on deaf ears.

XBMC is a great media player. It really is. I have not found a video that it doesn't like. My biggest problem with it is how subtitles work but that, I'm sure, is something that I'm doing incorrectly with MakeMKV. Bizarre stuff happens with subtitles for me. Sometimes I'll have an English movie with no subs and then if there's a song all of that is subtitled. The biggest problem is when there is a section of an otherwise English-language movie that is in a foreign language. Nothing shows up. Then other times the subtitles, in English, are on by default for an English-language movie.

Well.. I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know!
post #1273 of 1287 Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubblewrap View Post

Hi Jonathan

I've been watching your videos for a while. I love the theater you've built. Here's a random question. What brand is that gold/brown blanket on the couch? I've been looking for something like that for a while since I have similar colors in my setup. Any help would be appreciated.smile.gif

That, my friend, is imitation mink from Restoration Hardware. The red hue is a reflection off of the cnc wall panels, I'm afraid. We have like five of these now sprinkled around the house. They're REALLY warm!
post #1274 of 1287 Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So guess what happened again but in a unique new way?!?

Yep. The theatre has flooded. Again. It's almost funny. I went down there on Sunday to watch enjoy a little R&R and doubled over laughing as I watched water drip drip drip on the floor again out of my lovely matte black ceiling. Again.

The first time it was an exuberant child and too-much-TP that overflowed the toilet above the theatre. THIS time what happened is that the drain pipe from the house out to the street was clogged with roots (as, I've learned quite recently, they tend to do) and a clog forced all the water back into the house whereupon it spilled out at the first available spot. It just so happens that that spot is the wax seal of the toilet above the theatre!

I had the sewer pipe rooted today and will be doing so now on a regular schedule!

Currently the theatre's carpet has been pulled up while attempts are made to dry out the padding. I have a dehumidifier chugging along and a trio of gigantor blowers drying out the bits of drywall that weren't yet removed and the cavity above the ceiling. Fun times!
post #1275 of 1287 Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh man. I've had 3 leaks above our kitchen in the last 3 years so I feel your pain. I'm not sure I could handle 2 leaks above the theater though. I'm glad you're able to find the humor in it.

I could see trying to save the carpet, but is it worth trying to save the padding? Once that stuff gets wet, it's really difficult to dry. How much of it got wet?
post #1276 of 1287 Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 100
That's terrible. So sorry to hear this frown.gif
post #1277 of 1287 Old 01-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Wow, I am VERY sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your kind words! The article was a lot of fun and it is really humbling to see my space in that magazine next to the really professional jobs (a category, to which, I do not believe mine belongs!).

I'm sure you've figured out something by now but here goes, nonetheless. Regarding the first issue. I have run into this precise problem myself and you need to weigh the value of playing iTunes Music Store-purchased content vs. playing your own music rips. If the scale tips to the former then XBMC will work fine. There are pretty good Crestron modules floating around the 'net to control XBMC that provide indirect text, etc. etc. The protocol is pretty basic HTTP get/put stuff too so it wouldn't be too difficult to roll your own. Another very viable and inexpensive music-only alternative is the old Logitech Squeezebox. I have one of their version two units that has been a ROCK SOLID performer for almost a decade. That's pretty remarkable for a box that streams digital media in my opinion. Pretty good modules available for that too.

XBMC is a bit of a Hydra. There are umpteen partially-supported add-in modules that lure you in and then kind of let you down. Personally I didn't want another hobby; I wanted a media server. I built and XBMC box and live with the limitations. I don't care that the music interface is kinda clunky via the OSD. The reality is that I hardly ever listen to music in the theatre anyway.

One trick that I like is to just live with the fact that if your iPad is your remote you will have to jump from app to app periodically. I'm a VERY good UI programmer and a VERY good Crestron programmer but I am not interested in attempting to replicate the ease that the native "Remote" app works at controlling an AppleTV. I use a call-out that automatically switches the user from Mobile Pro G (could they have come up with a worse name, really?) to Remote when the AppleTV button is pressed. I also call-out from Crestron to the XBMC remote control app. It works beautifully and it lowers the programming burden considerably.

Now if only Nest would put the call-out feature in their API! You can browse the possibilities here: http://handleopenurl.com/ I've emailed Nest repeatedly about adding the openURL feature to their app but it falls on deaf ears.

XBMC is a great media player. It really is. I have not found a video that it doesn't like. My biggest problem with it is how subtitles work but that, I'm sure, is something that I'm doing incorrectly with MakeMKV. Bizarre stuff happens with subtitles for me. Sometimes I'll have an English movie with no subs and then if there's a song all of that is subtitled. The biggest problem is when there is a section of an otherwise English-language movie that is in a foreign language. Nothing shows up. Then other times the subtitles, in English, are on by default for an English-language movie.

Well.. I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know!

First off - Sorry to hear about the leak!

No worries on the delay. I appreciate the response. I have stayed in limbo relative to the iTunes. I will do some research on the Squeeze box. I have heard of it, but I do not know anything about it.

I am a novice in the Crestron world. I did manage to pull data from my web page that hosts Davis VP weather data just to see if I could. I was talking with my Crestron "mentor" about the in app calling the remote for the Apple TV just the other week. That is an area I will have to explore it a bit more. Nice to know the same concept works with a XBMC too.

Thanks for the info. The level of detail was perfect. I am sure I will be back! :>)
post #1278 of 1287 Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Oh man. I've had 3 leaks above our kitchen in the last 3 years so I feel your pain. I'm not sure I could handle 2 leaks above the theater though. I'm glad you're able to find the humor in it.

I could see trying to save the carpet, but is it worth trying to save the padding? Once that stuff gets wet, it's really difficult to dry. How much of it got wet?

It's hard to say about the padding. I'm going to have a look at it later tonight and check out its condition. I'd say that a queen-size bed area got saturated under the main leak. A smaller section got wet underneath the projector (the only other place in the ceiling where water came out).

The projector powered up after I let it dry for a couple of days. I told the insurance company that it _appears_ to work right now but I won't know for sure until I see it on the screen. I have USAA insurance and they are quite good.
post #1279 of 1287 Old 01-31-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First off - Sorry to hear about the leak!

No worries on the delay. I appreciate the response. I have stayed in limbo relative to the iTunes. I will do some research on the Squeeze box. I have heard of it, but I do not know anything about it.

I am a novice in the Crestron world. I did manage to pull data from my web page that hosts Davis VP weather data just to see if I could. I was talking with my Crestron "mentor" about the in app calling the remote for the Apple TV just the other week. That is an area I will have to explore it a bit more. Nice to know the same concept works with a XBMC too.

Thanks for the info. The level of detail was perfect. I am sure I will be back! :>)

Oh, good. I never know how much technobabble to barf out so I'm glad to hear that it wasn't overwhelming. Let me know if you have any more Crestron questions or want a demo program that shows how the launch-call is made.
post #1280 of 1287 Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Hey JD sorry to hear about the latest challenge man...

Just let me know when you need help and im there in 3hrs.

keep up the good fight.
post #1281 of 1287 Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hey JD sorry to hear about the latest challenge man...

Just let me know when you need help and im there in 3hrs.

keep up the good fight.

Thanks, man! It looks like the insurance company has us in good shape so far. Paint should go up tomorrow along with new carpet padding. Carpet cleaning on Friday. Yay!

post #1282 of 1287 Old 05-31-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HI everybody! I'm baaaaaack!

I have been away for the past few months on a life-rejuvenating sabbatical. I traveled in Iceland for a month photographing that natural wonder of a place and then spent about six weeks backpacking / driving around the USA mostly in Big Bend National Park in Texas and up to Chaco Culture in New Mexico. I've really had an amazing time off and I'd love it if you had a peek at a few of my photos that I made while away: http://shinyphotos.smugmug.com

Moving on to home theatre business:

My family has enjoyed our theatre for about two years now with very few changes or upgrades. We've added a source or two but otherwise it's mostly the same as pictured below. I have discovered that my Palliser couch, while attractive and comfortable for most people, is not adequate for my enjoyment of a 2-3 hour session. I had back surgery about seven years ago and have never been quite the same since. I have nerve problems in my leg and generally speaking my back gets too sore after an hour on this couch. frown.gif

I've been thinking back to an early design idea for the theatre that included a riser and recliners. This makes the room less family-style in my opinion but it would do wonders for my enjoyment of the room - and in the end isn't that the point? I would also love to add more seating capacity - I've found that I can really only get a maximum of 4-5 rather friendly people on that couch and one of those people has to sit with no back support on the chaise - not ideal.

I poked around the Show Me threads and found a riser/bar design that seems like it would work on my floor plan but my major hangup is about the surround and rear speakers. These are rather large and awkward. The placement is haphazard and, I think, detracts from the overall feel of the room because of it. If I build a riser kinda thing I will certainly have to move the right side speaker and if I'm moving one then I might as well move all of them. But what to do? In-ceiling seems to be the only option but that also seems less than ideal from a sound perspective.

I'd love some ideas!

Idea pulled from a Show Me thread:
post #1283 of 1287 Old 06-01-2014, 04:36 AM

Welcome back to the world of posting. Those sky shots are just incredible. (Rest are pretty great as well!)

I just have my solo 10x10 man cube are the moment, but I gravitate towards the bar behind the seating area. It just seems so practical. How attached are you to the identical speakers you have as surrounds? Mounting something else on the walls will make it a lot easier.
post #1284 of 1287 Old 06-01-2014, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome back to the world of posting. Those sky shots are just incredible. (Rest are pretty great as well!)

I just have my solo 10x10 man cube are the moment, but I gravitate towards the bar behind the seating area. It just seems so practical. How attached are you to the identical speakers you have as surrounds? Mounting something else on the walls will make it a lot easier.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I literally shot more than 27,000 photos during my month-long sojourn in Iceland and another 31,000 traveling around the US. I've barely scratched the surface of what I shot!

I'm not opposed to wall-mounting speakers and doing away with the matching surround towers but I am not crazy about removing / modifying the CNC panels on the rear wall. That means that there's really no good place for rear speakers. That's why I was thinking about ceiling speakers.
post #1285 of 1287 Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

That, my friend, is imitation mink from Restoration Hardware. The red hue is a reflection off of the cnc wall panels, I'm afraid. We have like five of these now sprinkled around the house. They're REALLY warm!

Took me a while to get back here. Thank you, I'm based in Switzerland but I'm sure I'll find something similar now that I know what it is.

I wish you all the best in your HT endeavours. :)

post #1286 of 1287 Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

The surrounds I have been working with for several years now would suit you perfectly. I am currently working on a higher-end model that yes, will cost more, but can be hopefully be even more versatile from an overall compact design standpoint. Breeze through the DIY coaxial surround thread in my sig. It gets to the point I think 4 pages in, then there is a ton of discussion before pics of the revamped design with the Beyma coaxial I am working with right now. I have come to love this type of design for it's wide dispersion characteristics (versatile from a placement/multi-row standpoint), highly dynamic capability, and low wattage needs compared to other less efficient designs.

You could even ceiling mount these in a nice angled box to avoid worrying about the rear wall panels smile.gif

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #1287 of 1287 Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version