Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1287 Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I hear ya on baby steps!

January will be 2yrs and still need to get landscaping and gutters installed, but the theater is pretty well functional! Not complete but functional.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1287 Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I hear ya on baby steps!

January will be 2yrs and still need to get landscaping and gutters installed, but the theater is pretty well functional! Not complete but functional.

They're never complete!
post #123 of 1287 Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

True to my word I spent a bunch of time screwing around in SketchUp last night and this morning. I think I've managed to get 80% of my vision rendered into pixels.

In these renders I've added soffits that are 14x6", a whole buttload of 3" can lights, an approximation of GroovyCeiling, and acoustic panels.

I know that you might be thinking that I ripped off the black and white photo acoustic panels from the beautiful render made by Pinstripes but I assure you that this has been in my head for some time! The photos used on the renders are scraped off of the web but I intend to use my own photography on these panels. My wife and I were thinking that a woodland forest scene would be really pleasant and we both thought that the black and white would just disappear when the lights dimmed down.

So anyway, here are the latest renders (they're also on the first post now).

post #124 of 1287 Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Huzzah! Thanks to W00lly and Tony123 I have a nice new soffit profile. I copied W00lly's construction technique and took Tony's advice about proportions and concocted this. This version is 14" from the wall and 6" from the ceiling. I fiddled with some 3" cans at the hardware store yesterday and determined that I'd have sufficient room with 6" of space. I'm still not sure what to cover these with... drywall, maybe?

And now, it being Saturday, I'm off on my first requisite trip to The Home Depot for wood and screws. (huh-huh... wood and screws...)
post #125 of 1287 Old 10-13-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #126 of 1287 Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Watch it now! No screwing off on the clock! You can do that sorta thing on your own time!

I've seen several builds that fill the soffits with insulation. They leave the soffits open and cover them with fabric so that they act as bass traps. I think this one of those areas where it might be worthwhile to have one of the theater design guys have a look.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #127 of 1287 Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Watch it now! No screwing off on the clock! You can do that sorta thing on your own time!

I've seen several builds that fill the soffits with insulation. They leave the soffits open and cover them with fabric so that they act as bass traps. I think this one of those areas where it might be worthwhile to have one of the theater design guys have a look.

Yeah, I've been toying around with the idea of putting wedges of OC703 in there for bass trappage. I'm going to run wire and install some can lights in there first though. I thought that I would leave the soffits exposed for a while so that I can add stuff that I've forgotten. That and it's going to be another month before I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy a bunch of can lights.
post #128 of 1287 Old 10-15-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you guys think that it will be easier to install recessed lights in the soffits before I put on the facing (I'm thinking drywall on the bottom and maybe fabric on the sides so that they can work as bass traps) or after?
post #129 of 1287 Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

probably want to install the cans before and trim rings etc after. I think all the New construction cans should go in before.......

Also might want to install conduit in those soffits for the inevitable need to run some more later. Run what you can outside the conduit and leave the conduit for later.....

Good idea on the bass trapping most bass accumulates in the corners and you can do some good there with enough mass fiberglass.

post #130 of 1287 Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

probably want to install the cans before and trim rings etc after. I think all the New construction cans should go in before.......

Also might want to install conduit in those soffits for the inevitable need to run some more later. Run what you can outside the conduit and leave the conduit for later.....

Good idea on the bass trapping most bass accumulates in the corners and you can do some good there with enough mass fiberglass.

Good idea; I will add some conduit. My wife and I were talking about plans for the soffits and how to make one side covered in fabric so that the bass absorbers will work properly. I've been thinking about making the sides fabric-covered, open-framed (like for a screen wall), and hinged so that you can open them up and get access to wires, etc.

I bought a 4" new-work can housing and it seems like it will fit fine but I'm unsure about the quality and shape of the light. I think that I would rather have recessed linear wall washers like I see in commercial buildings but I'm having trouble locating them (especially at a price that doesn't make me gasp for air).
post #131 of 1287 Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Hello again, everyone! I haven't forgotten about this project... life has been getting in the way!

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this theatre design over the past few months and I'm starting to have serious doubts about the acoustic properties of the installation. I had been working on the idea that the piece would serve as a combination diffuser/absorber where the walls would basically be lined with OC703 and then the MDF construction would go down on top. I'm not sure how this will work acoustically and I can't afford to do too much in the way of testing.

So I'm starting to ease off on the idea because I don't want it to sound horrifying. Here is a floorplan view that shows the naked room. I'd like your input on what I should do in here!

The main entrance is down those stairs and around the corner into the room. If you turn left at the bottom of the stairs there is a door out to the garage. There is a door at the top left of the floorplan that goes outside to the deck and hot tub so I'd like to keep that to make the room more useful as a hangout and not just a theatre space. I can't figure out how to integrate the screen on that wall while keeping the door though.

There are nine can lights in the popcorn drywall ceiling and about a hundred zillion power outlets along every wall. I would rather not remove the drywall and start from bare studs.

Go!

I know that I am a little late to the party, but I have a question. Why not add a door slightly past the end of the steps for the entrance to the theater. It would be very easy and not very expensive to do. Then you could use the whole front wall and center your screen. This would get the right speaker father away from the corner. The door at the front of the room would be your access to the area behind your AT screen. You would want to reverse the door behind the screen so that it swung out rather than in.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #132 of 1287 Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 05 View Post

I know that I am a little late to the party, but I have a question. Why not add a door slightly past the end of the steps for the entrance to the theater. It would be very easy and not very expensive to do. Then you could use the whole front wall and center your screen. This would get the right speaker father away from the corner. The door at the front of the room would be your access to the area behind your AT screen. You would want to reverse the door behind the screen so that it swung out rather than in.

Better late than never, thanks for chiming in, #5!

I considered building out that false wall and adding a door but ultimately decided not to do it. The door that exists now is a really excellent pathway out to the lower part of our deck where the hot tub is. My wife and I thought that moving the screen into the center of the room made the room more formal than we wanted. The way the room is shaping up there will be a nice path out to the other recreation areas which makes the whole downstairs a really fun and relaxing place to be. Does that make sense?
post #133 of 1287 Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Better late than never, thanks for chiming in, #5!

I considered building out that false wall and adding a door but ultimately decided not to do it. The door that exists now is a really excellent pathway out to the lower part of our deck where the hot tub is. My wife and I thought that moving the screen into the center of the room made the room more formal than we wanted. The way the room is shaping up there will be a nice path out to the other recreation areas which makes the whole downstairs a really fun and relaxing place to be. Does that make sense?

Okay. From looking at the drawing, I was thinking that you were walking down the steps, around the theater and using the door on the front wall to get into the theater room. Now I understand. There already is an opening at the bottom of the steps going into the theater and the door at the front wall is an exterior door.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #134 of 1287 Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay. From looking at the drawing, I was thinking that you were walking down the steps, around the theater and using the door on the front wall to get into the theater room. Now I understand. There already is an opening at the bottom of the steps going into the theater and the door at the front wall is an exterior door.

Ohhhh! Now I see! Yeah, that would be a spectacularly terrible design!
post #135 of 1287 Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you're interested in the camera that I use for the timelapse videos then I just found out that the price of the camera has dropped to a paltry $149! I'm actually thinking about buying another one now! Hehe! http://gopro.com/products/
post #136 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This post is dedicated to the awesomeness of Toggler SnapToggles.

If you need a toggle bolt to support something that is thick (e.g. a piece of wood) to a wall or ceiling then this little puppy is the answer. I have a few dozen extras if anybody wants! I used these to support my soffits on the parts of the ceiling that ran parallel to the ceiling joists. They work great!

Essentially the gizmo is a toggle bolt that is attached to a couple of zip ties. You drill a 1/2" hole, insert the toggle, align the zip ties and push a little plastic retainer dooflatchie into the hole. Then you snap off the zip tie pieces and screw in the bolt like any other toggle bolt.
post #137 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Love the build so far!

I don't know if I saw an answer to your question about the 3D compatibility of the Seymour screen.

I talked to Chris on the phone a couple of weeks ago, when I ordered my 11foot wide Centerstage XD fabric. He said the fabric was definitely great for 3D. In fact, if you're set on AT (which I am and recommend), his fabric has the highest gain of all of the AT fabrics I've seen.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #138 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ohhhh! Now I see! Yeah, that would be a spectacularly terrible design!

I do have just a little bit of construction experience. Built many schools and a few Hospitals. Here is a link to one of my projects. http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortpark...w/default.aspx

post #139 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do have just a little bit of construction experience. Built many schools and a few Hospitals. Here is a link to one of my projects. http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortpark...w/default.aspx

Oh, I wasn't saying that your idea was spectacularly terrible I was saying that my design would have been terrible if it was, indeed, as you described and I had to walk around the place to get inside. I hope I didn't offend you. I probably just misunderstood.
post #140 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

Love the build so far!

I don't know if I saw an answer to your question about the 3D compatibility of the Seymour screen.

I talked to Chris on the phone a couple of weeks ago, when I ordered my 11foot wide Centerstage XD fabric. He said the fabric was definitely great for 3D. In fact, if you're set on AT (which I am and recommend), his fabric has the highest gain of all of the AT fabrics I've seen.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Hey, that's great to know, thanks! Did you make a DIY screen? I'm wavering on that decision. I'm thinking that I'm within a few months of screen and projector so it's starting to weigh on my mind.
post #141 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

build yer own save your money!

Whatever fastening method you decide on count on the fabric being more rigid than you expect and not very much stretch.

Heck call Seymour and they'll send you a sample for free!

post #142 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I figure, if I can build a soffit and built-in media shelves, I can build a screen. AND that's one of the easier ways to save a lot of money. Paying for a frame is very expensive compared to building your own, in my opinion.

I haven't built it yet, I should disclose, but other people around have and haven't had too many issues with it.

I'm stapling my fabric to the screen, by the way.

My home theater build thread
LEVEL 4: Center for Entertainment
post #143 of 1287 Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Oh, I wasn't saying that your idea was spectacularly terrible I was saying that my design would have been terrible if it was, indeed, as you described and I had to walk around the place to get inside. I hope I didn't offend you. I probably just misunderstood.

No problem.

post #144 of 1287 Old 10-27-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest update in our little adventure! Enjoy! This has been a helluva lot of work to get these things built and installed.

Making the Soffits

I cobbled these soffits together and though they look a little ugly on the ceiling like this I think that they'll turn out pretty nice when they're done. At this point I'm planning to install recessed can lights in them every 40 inches or so and use them as a chaseway for wiring.

I'm planning to use these puppies as bass traps too (at least on two sides) but I'll have to see how much OC703 I can cram in there since I need to leave space around the light fixtures. I think that I will drywall the bottoms and install fabric panels on the sides so that they can function as bass traps.
post #145 of 1287 Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got a new toy! I have been wanting a motion control system for videos/timelapses for a while and now I've got a really sweet one. A motion control system lets me make shots that move along a linear track like this one (the first shot I made with the new system).

In other news, there's barely any other news. I have the soffits up and I have installed seven 4" can lights but I'm starting to think that it's too many. Work and other commitments are keeping me out of the theatre. Maybe I'll get some quality time in there tomorrow.

I haven't ruled out sconces but I also have not been thinking about them. This room will see a fair bit of entertaining even though it's a dedicated space so I think that I want to err on the side of more light. I'm interested in your thoughts.
post #146 of 1287 Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 AM

Liked: 22
You GOTTA tell us how the heck you did that soffit build vid! That that was AWESOME!! Once I know how to do that, I'm gunna build some soffits just so I can make 1 of those vids LOL Anyone need some soffits built? I'll have quite a few shortly, and I have absolutely no use for them whatsoever LOL
post #147 of 1287 Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yowzer!

Absolutely lovin' the whole time lapse video thing! Perfect way to quickly capture a build progression. Well, for you hearty and industrious folks who actually make progress, that is.

Whenever you don't have much new to post on related to your build, please feel free to toss out a bit more information on the post-photo processing part - how difficult or time intensive is that?

Awesome contribution to the AVS sewer!!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #148 of 1287 Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM

LMAO That picture looks like it comes with soundeffects LOL, like 'ZOINKS' or "JINKIES' or something. Maybe a "RUT ROW"
post #149 of 1287 Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domz777 View Post

You GOTTA tell us how the heck you did that soffit build vid! That that was AWESOME!! Once I know how to do that, I'm gunna build some soffits just so I can make 1 of those vids LOL Anyone need some soffits built? I'll have quite a few shortly, and I have absolutely no use for them whatsoever LOL

I'm glad you like it! Thanks! There are more videos posted on the first page of the thread if you like that one. I think that the soffit build video is the best I've made so far but it only tells a small part of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Yowzer!

Absolutely lovin' the whole time lapse video thing! Perfect way to quickly capture a build progression. Well, for you hearty and industrious folks who actually make progress, that is.

Whenever you don't have much new to post on related to your build, please feel free to toss out a bit more information on the post-photo processing part - how difficult or time intensive is that?

Awesome contribution to the AVS sewer!!

Wow, thanks! I'm feeling a "We're not Worthy! We're not Worthy!" in my head after seeing you post in here. I'm honored!

I'm trying to make progress but it's slow-going some times. I'm only now working on the light installation after a 2-week hiatus. Life keeps happening, yaknow?!

I'd be happy to talk about the process. I've been an avid photographer for a long time and started dabbling in video when I got my Canon 7D dSLR.

I'm primarily shooting with an inexpensive rugged camera called the GoPro HD Hero 960. This is a rough and tumble waterproof camera that is used for shooting video and stills for all kinds of applications. I see them used on everything from Dirty Jobs episodes to snowboarding documentaries.

The GoPro can shoot straight-up HD video but it can also shoot still frames at a specified interval. I slap a 32GB card in mine and take a 5 megapixel frame every second. These frames are 2592x1944 pixels.

There are 1440 frames per minute of these videos which means that a minute represents about 24 minutes of real-time work. A 2.5 minute video like the soffit video is composed of ~3600 5 megapixel still frames!

My workflow is basically like this:
1. Set up camera at angle #1 and shoot for a while
2. Move camera around while I work (no less than 20 minutes per angle if I can help it)
3. Yaknow, do the theatre build (the easy part!) (real time)
4. Slurp all of the frames into Adobe Lightroom (~25 minutes over USB2... ugh)
5. Adjust all frames for lens distortion correction (a unique feature of Lightroom 3) to remove the fisheye look (~ 10 minutes)
6. Adjust all frames in bulk for color, exposure, brightness, saturation, and ISO noise (~ 20 minutes)
7. Export all frames as max-quality JPEG (the GoPro shoots JPEGs natively) (~ 60 minutes)
8. Import each sequence (each angle) into QuickTime Pro 7 and export to Apple ProRes 444 video clips (~ 10 minutes per angle)
9. Import Apple ProRes 422 video clips into Final Cut Pro X and pre-analyze for color balance (~ 2 minutes per clip)
10. Sequence clips together on the timeline (~ 15 minutes)
11. Pan and Scan each angle to fit in 16x9 frame (this is how I get the panning effects and is also the reason why I'm mastering at such a ridiculously high resolution) (~ 5 minutes per angle)
12. Color grade all clips (~ 5 minutes per angle)
13. Add titles, transitions, effects (~45 minutes)
14. Hunt for music (must be royalty-free or Creative Commons) (~ 15 minutes to 2 hours [seriously... finding music for this is annoying])
15. Render, compress, and export to 1080p h.264 (~ 10-25 minutes [depends on length and complexity of video])
16. Upload to YouTube (~ 15-30 minutes depending on file size)

I'm doing all of this on a Mac Pro with eight 2.8GHz cores and 18GB of RAM on an SSD drive hooked up to a 30" monitor. I can't imagine how long this would take on a more average dual-core computer.

But NOW I'm starting to complicate the process by shooting with my Canon dSLR on a motion-control rig. This rig will propel my 7D along a 6-foot track taking 18 megapixel still frames every second then moving a fraction of an inch and taking another. Way cool!
post #150 of 1287 Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 172
That's quite the workflow. I was thinking I was going to impress with video walkthroughs of my space taken with my iPod Nano... there won't be any post-processing in my workflow, I can assure you!

What have you gotten for the motion rig? I saw recently a video about Kessler Crane's equipment designed for this - pretty slick.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page