The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1287 Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Once again, killer video editing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1287 Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That video is too cool. If only I could work that fast, heck I would be done by now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (Currently on Pause)
post #183 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Blammo! New video!

Lighting the Theater

I gotta tell you, I get the biggest kick from your videos!!!!

Keep em comin

Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #184 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Blammo! New video!

Lighting the Theater

Here I am again. This time I'm installing 21 (!!!) recessed lights in the soffits I built in the last video.

The room had nine 6" can lights wired in three zones when I started. I added soffits around the perimeter and installed 21 more 4" lights. I did this because the room is going to be *dark* once its painted.

The new lights are wired in four different zones (legs).
1. The front 4 lights (behind the screen - with the groovy colored LED bulbs, maaaaan),
2. the side 12,
3. the rear five, and
4. the nine overhead.

I'm zoning them this way so that I can kill front lights (almost always), kill back lights (keep from shining on screen), and dim sides for ambient light during movies.

All of these will be LED so that there is a minimum of heat added to the room (not to mention power consumption!).

I'm planning on getting a 4-zone Lutron Grafik Eye QS to control all this mess but they're kinda pricey so it's going to be dimmer switches for a little while.

Thanks for watching!

Nice build thread! Your videos are more entertaining than most cable tv programming. Please keep doing these. It is amazing what some music and time lapse can do to build interest! I was surfing the threads on my iPad and played your video and my kids could not stop watching and laughing, saying "More, more..." when this on was over. Well done.
post #185 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Jon,

that's a way cool vid man!

I especially like your kid zooming around 5x faster than you...... Haha my son is 10 so I remember those days.....

I can't help think how funny a vid of a man night or get together would be with that setup, too funny!
post #186 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skclark View Post

Once again, killer video editing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Yeah, you and me both! Thanks for the compliment!

post #187 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

That video is too cool. If only I could work that fast, heck I would be done by now.

I wish I could work that fast too! Unfortunately I'm painfully slow at getting this thing built! I just wanna watch a movie, man!!!! Thanks for your kind words!

post #188 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

I gotta tell you, I get the biggest kick from your videos!!!!

Keep em comin

Brad

Thanks, Brad! I'm really glad that you like the videos!

I just skimmed your thread and WOW! What a palace! Your attention to detail is great. It's so great to see another woodworker blundering through a project like I'm doing. :-)

post #189 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Unfortunately I'm painfully slow at getting this thing built!

No way! You're keeping good momentum. You'll be done in no time.

Though, when your young associate makes his appearance in the second half of the lighting movie, I'm reminded how quickly kids get around. He's like The Flash!

post #190 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

No way! You're keeping good momentum. You'll be done in no time.

Though, when your young associate makes his appearance in the second half of the lighting movie, I'm reminded how quickly kids get around. He's like The Flash!

I lost my soda when I first cut that footage! I told him that he looked like Dash from 'The Incredibles'. The part with the measuring tape cracks me up the most because I wasn't paying attention when he did that. My parenting that day amounted to "don't touch the sharp tools"! He was really excited to build some things for the camera. The CinemaScope cropping cut some of that out, unfortunately. It's hard to shoot in 'Scope!

post #191 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Nice build thread! Your videos are more entertaining than most cable tv programming. Please keep doing these. It is amazing what some music and time lapse can do to build interest! I was surfing the threads on my iPad and played your video and my kids could not stop watching and laughing, saying "More, more..." when this on was over. Well done.

Thank you! That's quite a compliment considering the bevy of fine programming available like "Storage Wars" and "America's Next Top Murderer"! I actually know relatively little about TV. We haven't had cable in over a decade and we haven't even had an antenna since we moved into the new house in May. My limit of TV knowledge is what is on Netflix streaming... :-)

Have the kids seen all seven videos? This latest one is my favorite but the others are good too.

post #192 of 1287 Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Jon,

that's a way cool vid man!

I especially like your kid zooming around 5x faster than you...... Haha my son is 10 so I remember those days.....

I can't help think how funny a vid of a man night or get together would be with that setup, too funny!

Thanks, Nick! Every time I look at footage that guest stars my son I see just how SLOW I am! It reminds me of that scene in Trainspotting where Ewan McGreggor is sitting at the bar while the whole world blurs around him.

post #193 of 1287 Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Thank you! That's quite a compliment considering the bevy of fine programming available like "Storage Wars" and "America's Next Top Murderer"! I actually know relatively little about TV. We haven't had cable in over a decade and we haven't even had an antenna since we moved into the new house in May. My limit of TV knowledge is what is on Netflix streaming... :-)

I find "storage wars" strangely compelling. I would not have known about it other than netflix also.

You are making good steady progress and everything looks great. Your to the part of the build where you start to make visible results and that helps to keep the motivation up.

post #194 of 1287 Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just watched the lighting video - way cool !!
Me thinks this might be the opposite example of Logan's "Dimension X".

This is going to be a great space - I'm late to the party but subscribed

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #195 of 1287 Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, stockmonkey2000 and cuzed2!

It's hard to keep motivation up. I had the chance to go and visit Tony123's theater this past weekend and it was such a motivator! Wow! Yeah! His theater is AWESOME! I can't wait to get back in my own space and start making stuff happen!

Visible results have helped keep me motivated lately. Seeing those lights turn on is SO NICE. My wife and I are talking about what to do next and we think that I should run the necessary wiring and conduit and then we're going to start installing acoustic treatments and work on prepping the ceiling.

We are going to scrape all of the popcorn off the ceiling before we paint it black. I don't like scraping popcorn but it's SO satisfying when it's done.

After THAT I'm probably going to set about getting the screen wall built!

post #196 of 1287 Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that I ordered some equipment!!!!

I ordered a handful of Neutrik 5-pin DINs!

These stupid little buggers are what allow Meridian speakers to talk to each other. Meridian speakers, for those uninitiated, are digital active speakers. Each speaker has its own integrated amplifiers and DSP engine.

You connect these speakers to a special surround processor that has SPDIF coaxial digital outputs for each channel pair (Left/Right, Center/Sub, Rear L/Rear R) and then you daisy chain a communications cable to each speaker so that they all change volume in sync. Far out. Incidentally, I'm going to be pulling speaker wire along with the COMMS and SPDIF cabling for future upgrades.

post #197 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been thinking about my walls lately. I'm not sure how much absorption I'll need on my walls and how high up to run it but I'm going to bring the RTA home tonight and play around.

Here are a few mockups I've been working on that show the general idea of my plan as it stands now. I have been looking at the plan of hanging big absorbers on the walls covered in photo-printed fabric and I'm not as crazy about it as I was when I drew it.

Here's a new idea.

It's ridiculously easy for me to make carved MDF panels like this

So I'm thinking that I'll run 1" Linacoustic up the walls about 40 inches (but starting above the outlets since I have a metric butt-ton of outlets down there and I'll be damned if I'm going to frame out and cut fabric for each of them). Above the Linacoustic I think I'll abut 1" carved panels (3/4 MDF + the Z-clips = 1")

Behold (not to scale):

I was thinking about using FabricMate track and GOM to cover the Linacoustic. I will probably leave the MDF in its natural state but painting is certainly an option.

Soooo waddya think? GroovyWalls are actually easier and less expensive than GroovyCeiling which, frankly, I'm talking myself out of. GroovyWalls are a replacement for the GroovyCeiling idea. I LOVE how the light from the new soffit lights creates dramatic shadows on the sample I cut!

post #198 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the look. The two things that come to mind are: if you can see through them, what will you do to the wall behind? and is it possible to make them different and random enough to not be concerned about acoustic effects? (comb filtering or whatnot)

I'd like to see them stained or something to give them a darker warm look.

post #199 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I like the idea, I think that could look really cool - cool enough at least to dummy up a small panel and fabric sample together to test. How do you get that surface on the MDF, CNC machine?

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #200 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the look. The two things that come to mind are: if you can see through them, what will you do to the wall behind? and is it possible to make them different and random enough to not be concerned about acoustic effects? (comb filtering or whatnot)

I'd like to see them stained or something to give them a darker warm look.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean about being able to "see through them" Do you mean the MDF portion? The dark parts on the MDF frontal view are caused by shadows cast by the lines above them from lighting in the soffits.

The way I'm planning you can't see through the MDF pieces. The MDF carving will be opaque because it doesn't cut all the way through the material. I could though, paint the wall black behind it and cut through the MDF. I hadn't thought of that. It would be bad ASS if you then put some colored light behind the panels!

I think that the only acoustic difference between the sculptured/carved MDF and plain drywall will be that there will be far more random diffusion.

post #201 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I like the idea, I think that could look really cool - cool enough at least to dummy up a small panel and fabric sample together to test. How do you get that surface on the MDF, CNC machine?

Thanks, Brad. I've got a 12x12 piece of the MDF carving so I'll put it up next to the fabric swatch tonight and see what I like.

edit: and yes, a CNC router. I use a ShopBot.

post #202 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't count on a lot of diffusion, but it certainly looks cool. If you did the same thing with the product below, you could light it up behind it. Very expensive though - about $800 for a 4x8 sheet. I'm going today to check out some of the translucent panels from this company for my columns.

http://www.3-form.com/materials-chroma.php

post #203 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I wouldn't count on a lot of diffusion, but it certainly looks cool. If you did the same thing with the product below, you could light it up behind it. Very expensive though - about $800 for a 4x8 sheet. I'm going today to check out some of the translucent panels from this company for my columns.

http://www.3-form.com/materials-chroma.php

Yikes! That stuff is awesome!

It's amazing how quickly these exotic sheetgoods get expensive. I have used bamboo plywood a bunch and that crap is $240 for a 4x6 sheet!

The nice thing about this MDF technique is that I can do it for the cost of the MDF... $35 for a 4x8' sheet.

post #204 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Yikes! That stuff is awesome!

It's amazing how quickly these exotic sheetgoods get expensive. I have used bamboo plywood a bunch and that crap is $240 for a 4x6 sheet!

The nice thing about this MDF technique is that I can do it for the cost of the MDF... $35 for a 4x8' sheet.

Nice!

that stuff will look great!
post #205 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree, looks fantastic! From the little I know, I would only expect diffusion in the extreme upper frequencies, likely in a range that has very little impact.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #206 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I agree, looks fantastic! From the little I know, I would only expect diffusion in the extreme upper frequencies, likely in a range that has very little impact.

That was pretty much my hunch also. It's not like they're skyline panels or anything. The point of the MDF is 100% aesthetic.

I'm glad you like the looks of it! I know it's hard to visualize when I was trying to explain it when we were in your theater, Tony. It didn't click for my wife until I handed her the 12x12" piece and said "See?!?" and she was like "YEAH! Let's do it! JUST LIKE THAT!"

post #207 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Nice!

that stuff will look great!

Thanks! I think that it will take about an hour to an hour and a half to cut a 4x8' sheet.

post #208 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's a way cool and worthy idea.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #209 of 1287 Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

So just thinking out loud - will the panels butt against one another? Will the pattern tessellate or will you need a trim between panels to allow the pattern to reset?

And thanks for explaining - the shadows looked like cut through spots to me - I see now.

post #210 of 1287 Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

It's a way cool and worthy idea.

Thanks, Tony!

Quote:

So just thinking out loud - will the panels butt against one another? Will the pattern tessellate or will you need a trim between panels to allow the pattern to reset?

And thanks for explaining - the shadows looked like cut through spots to me - I see now.

That's a great question. I forgot to mention my plan for that. I'm thinking that I'll have 3/4" or 1" wide strips of brushed aluminum.

I thought that I would get some square aluminum tubing, brush it with a wire brush in the same direction as the wall panels, and then put a glossy clear coat on top of that.

edit: and to answer your question: yes, they will tessellate but I'm not counting on my ability to install them perfectly so that they line up to my satisfaction. I'm counting on the aluminum strip to cause the brain to accept that they're contiguous.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page