The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1287 Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Oh, hi there!  This theatre is just about "finished" as of 11/2012 but the project is very much an ongoing thing.  It's my hobby.  Since I wrote this first post I've morphed the design and overall concept quite a bit.  The video archive and Table of Contents in the next post down does a pretty good job of showing you my progress.  All of my videos are produced in timelapse which, as you'll see has also progressed in quality since my first attempt.

Thanks for dropping by!

My theatre was featured in Electronic House in May, 2013.  Have a look at this excellent article.

Here are photos as the project stands in January 2013.

• Room: 24'-4" x 16'-8" with 8'-1" ceilings.  Single 5/8" drywall direct to stud (standard) w/ R30 in walls and ceiling.  Soffits are drywall over wood w/ IC 4" cans and R30.
  • Screen: Seymour Center Stage XD acoustically transparent.  139" diagnonal viewed from ~ 12 feet
  • Projector: JVC RS45
  • Speakers: Meridian DSP 5000 24/96 (L,C,R), Meridian DSP 5000 16/44 (SL,SR,RL,RR), Two LFE Lil' Mike Cinema F20 (15" horn-loaded subwoofers)
  • Electronics: Behringer DSP1000 (subwoofers), Meridan 568.2mm Surround Processor, Meridian 562v.2
  • Sources: Mac Mini running XBMC Eden, Samsung Blu-ray, Apple TV 3rd Generation, Logitech Squeezebox
  • Infrastructure: Synology DS1812+ NAS hosting ~6TB of (LEGAL) media, DLink and Apple Gigabit switches
  • Rack: Middle Atlantic
  • Power Management: Too many power strips.  Soon to be ETA sequencer or similar.
  • Power Draw: ~950w in use, ~300w in standby (unacceptable!)
  • Lighting: 8 overhead LED 6" fixtures, 21 perimeter 4" fixtures w/ 40w incandescents.  Lutron Diva LED Dimmers.
  • Control: Crestron QM-RMC, Crestron Mobile Pro G App for iPad, Custom software, XBMC-Commander app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app (for Squeezebox)
  • Seating: Palliser sectional.  Seats 5 for a movie but 4 is more comfortable.
  • Acoustic Treatments: 2" Linacoustic RC ductliner on screen wall, bass traps coming soon
  • Paint: Restoration Hardware 'Charcoal' (soffits, rear wall, closet door, trim), Restoration Hardware 'Shore' (walls), Behr 'Mouse Ears' (ceiling, rack corner, exterior door)
  • Decoration:  Custom-designed CNC carving on two sheets of MDF 3/4" (rear wall).  Finished in clear satin finish.
  • Future: Bass trapping (right of stage behind panel), reflection absorption (2" Linacoustic behind custom-printed 19th century map of London)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1287 Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ongoing Progress Updates & Table of Contents

If you are just joining us then I'll save you some hassle, run-on sentences and give you the Reader's Digest Condensed version. The videos are available in HD if you're so inclined to click through to Youtube.

And Finally... A Tour of the Finished Theatre

A few people have asked about my process for making the timelapse videos. It's pretty involved but I outlined it in this post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 1287 Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought that I'd add a little more information. This room is "finished" in our new house and is down in the basement. Well, it *is* the basement, really.

Sound Proofing
Before I decided whether or not I need to apply double drywall, green glue, etc. I am going to hook up the speakers and pump up the jams. If I can perform this experiment while my wife and son are asleep then I will have my answer!

Equipment Choices
All I own at this stage are one pair of the Meridians. I'm open to suggestions for projector, anamorphic lens, scaler/video processor, screen material, etc.

Appearance/Design
The rendering of the waffle-wall is STRICTLY for reference. The actual piece of art from Dharmesh will be quite different from what you see up there. The basic idea is to build a solid false wall, paint it black (or, if money allows, add an absorption layer and black GOM or something), and apply the dark-gray interlocking pieces onto it.

post #4 of 1287 Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Is there a reason for the new wall f you don't go IB? Looks like you're not planning on AT with the meridians out front. With four more feet, you could probably get a second row of seats in there (I'd guess).

post #5 of 1287 Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Is there a reason for the new wall f you don't go IB? Looks like you're not planning on AT with the meridians out front. With four more feet, you could probably get a second row of seats in there (I'd guess).

That's a good question. I had originally planned for the false wall so that I could use an AT screen but then somebody talked me out of it based on audio quality, moire problems, and cost.

Since there's a door on that wall (with a window in it no less) I knew I could center the screen on the false wall and make the window in the door an un-problem. Does that make any sense? haha!

I don't know now. I'm doubting my layout every time I think I've decided on something. I guess that's part of the process?

Now I'm thinking about rotating the entire thing 90 degrees and putting the screen on the long wall opposite the door in the alcove (the entrance door). I think I might scrap have to go back to the drawing board altogether.

post #6 of 1287 Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Your room is real close to the dimensions I have. I tried a seating configuration like you show and it's pretty tight. I'd keep the orientation like you have it, screen on the short wall. Check out my theater (signature) to get a feel for the size of your space with stuff in it.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #7 of 1287 Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I had originally planned for the false wall so that I could use an AT screen but then somebody talked me out of it based on audio quality, moire problems, and cost.

Audio quality? I find that slightly misleading, since you have better audio quality with an AT setup (if configured correctly). Moire is an issue in some instances, but can be dealt with or eliminated (I don't have it). If cost is another concern, you can DIY an AT screen for less than buying a retail non-AT screen.

I would also keep your current orientation with the screen on the short wall.

post #8 of 1287 Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Welcome to the cash flow black hole (aka HT)

One thing I noticed is that it looks like you have two center channel speakers. I believed this is a big no no given that it leads to severe comb filtering. Am I missing something?

|
|
|

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #9 of 1287 Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Sound Proofing
Before I decided whether or not I need to apply double drywall, green glue, etc. I am going to hook up the speakers and pump up the jams. If I can perform this experiment while my wife and son are asleep then I will have my answer!

Don't forget that soundproofing is not just to keep sound from bothering the rest of the family, but also to lower the noise floor in your theater. Depending on the amount of ambient noise in your home (walking, kids playing, the sound of AC running, etc), this might be the difference in being able to watch a movie without turning the volume up for quiet dialogue and back down for loud effects.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #10 of 1287 Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Your room is real close to the dimensions I have. I tried a seating configuration like you show and it's pretty tight. I'd keep the orientation like you have it, screen on the short wall. Check out my theater (signature) to get a feel for the size of your space with stuff in it.

Thanks for the tip on seating. I was struggling to figure out how to make the wide dimension work. Also your build is great. I love the B&Ws! I sold them for years and loved having my own. Special thanks for the great detailed photos of your masking solution on your DIY screen.

I was planning to go curved but I see you have flat. Any reason you did that other than, I assume, it was an easier build? What is the width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVids4all View Post

...you have better audio quality with an AT setup (if configured correctly).

Really? I don't understand. I suppose woven would be better than microperf and neither would be better than no barrier but I'm just going on my gut instinct. Color me curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVids4all View Post

I would also keep your current orientation with the screen on the short wall.

Yeah, I think that will be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Welcome to the cash flow black hole (aka HT)

One thing I noticed is that it looks like you have two center channel speakers. I believed this is a big no no given that it leads to severe comb filtering. Am I missing something?

As a photographer (specializing in a weird, out-dated method) I am well aware of cash-flow black holes! I did put two center channels in there but I never considered the consequences. I only put it in there because I knew that I'd have to buy another pair and that the unused one would get lonely. It would make a rad iPod dock though! hahaaha!

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Don't forget that soundproofing is not just to keep sound from bothering the rest of the family, but also to lower the noise floor in your theater.

SAGE advice! I'll consider the dishwasher in the kitchen above, AC, etc. now in the design.

Thank you all for your responses. This is quite a learning experience for me.

post #11 of 1287 Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've placed revised drawings in the first post based on the excellent feedback I've heard from you all so far.

I decided that the false wall was unnecessary because I'm not planning AT anymore and I decided that I wanted to leave the exterior door accessible for emergencies and for easy hot-tub access. :-) I saw BIGmouthinDC's post about the linacoustic and fabric in this post and I think that's a great idea.

I'll need to re-carpet the whole room anyway so that linoleum won't be a problem.

Moving the wall back gives me four more feet to play with so I'm liking the idea of integrating a riser now. I lowered the screen to 24" off the ground, put the first row at about 10'-10" from the 130" wide 2.35:1 curved screen (too close, maybe?) and the second row at about 16'-6" from the screen on top of a 10" high riser.

I can't imagine where I'll come up with Berkline money but the riser dimensions will help in picking out seats!

I also switched to the idea of using a standard center channel speaker instead of a pair of towers. This is good because I can lower the screen and nip a potential sound problem in the bud early.

Another addition is a soffit but I'm not sure if it will be necessary.

post #12 of 1287 Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Special thanks for the great detailed photos of your masking solution on your DIY screen.

I was planning to go curved but I see you have flat. Any reason you did that other than, I assume, it was an easier build? What is the width?

I went with a flat screen since I have no plans to buy an anamorphic lens any time soon. With my long throw, even with a lens the pincushion would be minimal. Plus this screen was done on the really cheap. I have about $150 in it, the most expensive thing being the steel I used for the top and bottom borders.

The screen is approximately 108"x42". Eyeballs are about nine feet back.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #13 of 1287 Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Sound Proofing

The purpose of sound isolation is to lower the noise floor in the room to below NR22 (below the level of the softest sound on the sound track).

Quote:

That's a good question. I had originally planned for the false wall so that I could use an AT screen but then somebody talked me out of it based on audio quality, moire problems, and cost.

BS what part of acoustically transparent do they not understand? Of course, they totally forgot to tell you about high frequency slap echo and SBIR notches caused the the screen itself. Find a different advisor.

Quote:

Really? I don't understand. I suppose woven would be better than microperf and neither would be better than no barrier but I'm just going on my gut instinct. Color me curious!

No barrier? Well, hum ... if that were the case speakers would not come with acoustically transparent speaker grills. Why would woven be better than microperf? There is no inherent reason why that would be true or not true. I wonder what the shadows cast by some weaves do to the picture quality?

Quote:

One thing I noticed is that it looks like you have two center channel speakers. I believed this is a big no no given that it leads to severe comb filtering.

Serious big no no. There was one, count 'em one, Meridian processor modified 10 years ago to handle this horrid problem and you don't own it.

Don't put the center channel below the screen ... particularily with multiple rows of seating.

There you go...some free advice ... likely worth exactly what you paid for it.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #14 of 1287 Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

There you go...some free advice ... likely worth exactly what you paid for it.

Wow, thanks for the insight, Dennis. Out of curiosity, you're not talking about the epically-weird Meridian 518 DSP, are you? But you're right, I don't own it.

I'm going to rethink the AT screen idea based on your feedback. I think I have to see one in action to see if the moire annoys me or not. Who knows, I might not be able to see it at all. I certainly like the idea of a stealthy installation.

I've been busy since my last post thinking deeply about the room and designing a new wall/ceiling treatment in 3D CAD. My working inspiration is this restaurant designed by Office dA in Boston:

More images here: http://www.yatzer.com/BANQ-restaurant-by-Office-dA

At this point I'm thinking about building something very similar but lining the space between the ribs with an absorptive foam and using a darker veneer (walnut, wenge, tiger-stripe bamboo, something like that). Before I decide how much and where to put the foam, though, I'll put an RTA in the room for proper measurements.

I'm a little concerned that the wall/ceiling treatment will render the room a little claustrophobic but that can be tweaked. As long as I don't extend the ribs more than a few inches off the wall/ceiling I think it should be fine.

post #15 of 1287 Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
OMG...do it! I say that because I want to see an example of how you would treat that monster while preserving the unique look!

Follow my build here:
post #16 of 1287 Old 04-06-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Wow that restaurant is amazing - as would your build if you could pull that off. If designed with it in mind, you could build in some nice diffusion - but if done haphazardly, could make a mess of things acoustically as well. Good luck!

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #17 of 1287 Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HAHA, thanks. I'm trying very hard not to screw it up! It's hard putting a design like that into the scale of my room. I'm mocking it up in Rhino with Dharmesh's help.

I'll laser cut a scale model of the space a couple times to hash out the design, of course, but the acoustics will be tricky. Thus the RTA...

post #18 of 1287 Old 04-13-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey Jon! I see you already have a build thread.

I'm also on the cash flow program. Depending on income, it can really slow things down. I'm in year three right now! I've only been working about half time though. The economy has crushed my industry (development).

I highly recommend fitting an AT screen in place. The "better" sound that folks are referring to is due to more flexible speaker placement options. You can put the speakers right where they need to be for the best imaging and anchoring. I found it to be VERY valuable.

Can you post a floorplan that includes more than the theater room? Access doors? Equipment room?

There are different preferences for coming in at the front of the theater or the rear. Mine is from the rear, and I like it. No traffic or distractions as people come and go.

I'd also think about that riser some more. You want to minimize steps in a dark room. Instead of having all those edges as tripping hazards, can you extend it wall to wall. Then you can have one or two places that you step and the rest is safer.

Anyway, I look forward to following along. If you think a visit ot my place might be helpful, then lets plan a visit.

Tony

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #19 of 1287 Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Nope ... wasn't talking about the 518 or 618 (have 'em both). It was a specially modified 565 ... modifications in software to accommodate a very specific problem for a very special individual (not me, I might add).

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #20 of 1287 Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Hey Jon! I see you already have a build thread.

I'm also on the cash flow program. Depending on income, it can really slow things down. I'm in year three right now! I've only been working about half time though. The economy has crushed my industry (development).

I highly recommend fitting an AT screen in place. The "better" sound that folks are referring to is due to more flexible speaker placement options. You can put the speakers right where they need to be for the best imaging and anchoring. I found it to be VERY valuable.

Can you post a floorplan that includes more than the theater room? Access doors? Equipment room?

There are different preferences for coming in at the front of the theater or the rear. Mine is from the rear, and I like it. No traffic or distractions as people come and go.

I'd also think about that riser some more. You want to minimize steps in a dark room. Instead of having all those edges as tripping hazards, can you extend it wall to wall. Then you can have one or two places that you step and the rest is safer.

Anyway, I look forward to following along. If you think a visit ot my place might be helpful, then lets plan a visit.

Tony

I now agree that an AT screen is most compatible with my vision. I'll work on a larger floor plan and post it. I'm starting to have some questions about HVAC planning, softly design, etc. I'm sure that will come in handy.

The riser is tricky. The entrance to the room might present a challenge. When I get the floor plan up I'll need some advice on riser design.

Thanks for the offer of a visit! Your build is beautiful and I'd love the opportunity to see the fine detail in person. I've been disappointed that there isn't more local interest in the Raleigh-Durham area. Upstate SC is pretty close, though!

I had a nice conference with my friend Dharmesh about the design and he gave me some really great pointers. My plan now is to lay out the entire room (speaker locations, screen, seating, HVAC returns, light fixtures, rack, etc. and only then begin to design the sliced wall/ceiling feature. I have to do it this way so that the feature can wind around all of those fixed things.

post #21 of 1287 Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Wow that restaurant is amazing - as would your build if you could pull that off. If designed with it in mind, you could build in some nice diffusion - but if done haphazardly, could make a mess of things acoustically as well. Good luck!

I've been thinking very hard about that. The structure will diffuse really well but I don't know how I can model it before building it. My hope is that the ribs will diffuse, the lining between them (OC703 or whatever) will absorb, and I'll be OK.

post #22 of 1287 Old 04-16-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"Fine detail" ???? You're kidding, right? You obviously haven't read through much yet! LOL

I've seen some clever ways of handling risers. One option that helps in tricky rooms is to extend the riser through the entry and out into the adjacent room or hall, with the step occuring out there.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #23 of 1287 Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello again, everyone! I haven't forgotten about this project... life has been getting in the way!

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this theatre design over the past few months and I'm starting to have serious doubts about the acoustic properties of the installation. I had been working on the idea that the piece would serve as a combination diffuser/absorber where the walls would basically be lined with OC703 and then the MDF construction would go down on top. I'm not sure how this will work acoustically and I can't afford to do too much in the way of testing.

So I'm starting to ease off on the idea because I don't want it to sound horrifying. Here is a floorplan view that shows the naked room. I'd like your input on what I should do in here!

The main entrance is down those stairs and around the corner into the room. If you turn left at the bottom of the stairs there is a door out to the garage. There is a door at the top left of the floorplan that goes outside to the deck and hot tub so I'd like to keep that to make the room more useful as a hangout and not just a theatre space. I can't figure out how to integrate the screen on that wall while keeping the door though.

There are nine can lights in the popcorn drywall ceiling and about a hundred zillion power outlets along every wall. I would rather not remove the drywall and start from bare studs.

Go!

post #24 of 1287 Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Liked: 12
My first inclination is to put the screen on the left hand wall (as drawn). Make a cover of some sort to black out the window in the door, but you can leave the door for easy access to the hot tub.

It gives a few benefits
  • Exterior door will not impact screen size
  • Greater width allows more flexibility on seat choice
  • Walkway to the hot tub will include the space in front of the screen - no need to take space away from seating area

It is true there is no free lunch. Depending on screen size you have disadvantages
  • Relatively short throw can limit PJ choices
  • High gain screens will impact the view of the outside seats
  • Multiple rows of seats will be have problems
post #25 of 1287 Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A home theater designer trick is to narrow the room by creating an aisle with open cutouts, down the door and av rack side? A large AT screen wouldn't impact on your screen size (assuming your projector can handle it).

The room would be more dedicated theater like, and cost you a seat. You could even enter at riser height and handle the riser step down to the lower level, in the aisle. (Assuming you have room height and room to raise the stairwell entry door.)

Or you could do a partial hallway section up front. Move the av rack up into some of that aisle. The doorway would be hidden in a blacked out front wing wall. Acces to the rear of the av rack could be in this hallway. The front of the room could be performance driven and dark, with the seven seating area could be more relaxed.
post #26 of 1287 Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

from formal to a little bit relaxed

The versions with the av rack mid room get a door (hidden perhaps) for the
short hallway. A door for access to the back of the av closet. Or perhaps a
dsiguised as a ticket window?
LL
LL
LL
post #27 of 1287 Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks very much for your input, jcthornton and Tedd! I've been evolving this room a bit in my mind and talking it over with my wife. I showed her the floorplans that you mocked up, Tedd, while we were down in the room.

I started taping off distances and layouts and we both were thinking that the room felt like it should be less of an endpoint room (meaning a theatre with a hiddenish door to the hot tub) and more of a destination relaxation space with easier access to the hot tub door. If that makes sense!

Anyhoo, here are a few images to prove that I've been working and a revised floorplan idea! Haha!

Screen Wall:

Screen wall With approximate taping of 122x54 viewable dalite cinema contour:

Latest Iso showing stage, & screen wall.

I have not given up on the idea of the waffling but my current plan is to put the design on the ceiling. Using this approach I'm planning to do the more typical fabric-covered walls with absorption going up about 36" off the floor.

Something like this

or this

I'm also considering putting columns up to house the rear and side channels since that seems cleaner than putting them in the walls. Three of the walls are exterior so I'm reluctant to cut them and risk screwing up the vapor barrier (again). Any tips on columns?

I have some questions about the stage plan. It seems to me that the stage should be decoupled from the walls to reduce vibration throughout the house. When I build the stage, fill it with sand, and then build the screen wall on top of that I'll have to attach the screen wall to the stage and to the room walls/ceiling. Wouldn't that make a "short circuit"? How tall should I make this thing? I was planning on 6 inches.

Finally, here's a quick and dirty virtual tour that I threw together. Pardon the mess; we just moved in!

Thanks!

post #28 of 1287 Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a very nice room to start with. I wish it were mine.

My thinking behind the wing wall was to block the door and light entering, and to establish a symmetrical side wall for audio. The window in the door will be a huge visual distraction to the screen, so I was looking for ways to disguise it.

Decouple the screen wall with RISC clips. (I simply used heavy rubber matting cut into strips, and minimal screws. The matting was the same I used beneath the stage.) I went with a two step stage, 2x4" my front three channels and 2x6" under the subs (but I have limited ceiling height). My front AT wall sits right in front of the stage. An exposed stage messed with the scale of room and really made the front look cramped. The plain black front wall gives the room a more mediaroom "vibe".

I assume the room is a slab or walk out basement? Otherwise, the weight of the sand needs to be considered.

Those ceilings are very interesting and very unique.
post #29 of 1287 Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

That's a very nice room to start with. I wish it were mine.

Thank you. It's still hard to believe that it's mine! My last house was 1049 square feet. This one is 2700! I literally found a closet a couple weeks ago that I had forgotten about.

Quote:

My thinking behind the wing wall was to block the door and light entering, and to establish a symmetrical side wall for audio. The window in the door will be a huge visual distraction to the screen, so I was looking for ways to disguise it.

That's a good point. Now that I think about it I think that I'll replace that door with something that's more befitting the room and move the window door to the top of the stairs. The top of the stairs has an interior door on it now that leads to the kitchen. That door is a sieve for sound... It wouldn't be hard to acid-etch or sandblast that glass with a cool pattern either.

Quote:

Decouple the screen wall with RISC clips. (I simply used heavy rubber matting cut into strips, and minimal screws. The matting was the same I used beneath the stage.) I went with a two step stage, 2x4" my front three channels and 2x6" under the subs (but I have limited ceiling height). My front AT wall sits right in front of the stage. An exposed stage messed with the scale of room and really made the front look cramped. The plain black front wall gives the room a more mediaroom "vibe".

So I'll frame out the front AT wall and then affix it to the building structure with either RISC clips or a layer of some dense rubber? I built a sandwich of three different VEP sheets when the washer and dryer were installed. That stuff really keeps down the vibration. Would you use RISC clips instead of rubber if you had to do it again?

Quote:

I assume the room is a slab or walk out basement? Otherwise, the weight of the sand needs to be considered.

Yes, the room is a walk-out basement.

Quote:

Those ceilings are very interesting and very unique.

Thanks! That may just be the most fun part of this project...

post #30 of 1287 Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Love the ceiling idea.

What about one of these:

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page