Star Wars room designed with Google Sketchup - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #61 of 76 Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I do not believe there is a cooler build on this entire site. What color gray is that? I can never seem to find Death Star Gray when I go to home depot LOL
Amazing DJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Only one word comes to mind.
Hollyfreakingmindblowing
post #63 of 76 Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
There is a builder project called Full Scale Falcon, where a group of people are building a full scale replica. You might enjoy participating. Pick a section, build it, ship it.

They've completed the cockpit.

stinson_render_cockpit_01.jpg
PGTweed likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #64 of 76 Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome, simply awesome! Subscriped.
post #65 of 76 Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
the oval circle oval pattern is what sells it as starwars for me.
post #66 of 76 Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Here, I took a photo with the "good" camera...

You can see the window, the desk, and the platform it sits on. This is where I sit to do all my Internet surfing, and watch some movies on Netflix.

Next time, I work on the ceiling, and wire up the room for surround sound.
PGTweed likes this.

Comment on my DIY livingroom HT buildup
- Amazing DJ
post #67 of 76 Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing DJ View Post

Here, I took a photo with the "good" camera...

You can see the window, the desk, and the platform it sits on. This is where I sit to do all my Internet surfing, and watch some movies on Netflix.

Next time, I work on the ceiling, and wire up the room for surround sound.

So great to see it all in one pic. Looks fantastic!
Amazing DJ and PGTweed like this.
post #68 of 76 Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Ditto!
Amazing DJ likes this.
post #69 of 76 Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Thx for the kick in the pants, I've gotten out of HT "build mode", and have offshoot hobbies - like astrophotography, but recently I've vegged out too much.
I also like "building stuff", you've given me more ideas in 3 pages of build thread than most.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

That's a lot of man hours in just the ovals alone! You retired or just a time management wizard?

I just spend my free time differently. Most people come home from work and sit in front of a TV for 3 to 4 hours a night. I stopped watching TV 2 years ago and build stuff instead. Some nights I'm designing with Google Sketchup or Paint Shop Pro. Other nights I'm painting stuff. I'll show you the beginnings of wall decorations from the weekend.

Love the R2D2 trash droid, I'm a Cubmaster and also a Webelos den leader, this looks like a perfect winter project for us at upcoming den meeting.
Thank you for sharing.

Has this been showcased on some internet sites besides your post here? Truly amazing work.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMBen View Post

As for going "over the top", the extent of my imagination for my upcoming build was to find a Yoda FatHead. This is great stuff.

For your home theater, how about making a Trash Droid? Here's one I made. It's not an exact copy of an R2D2 but more of a stylized representation.

I started with a graphic I found on some papercraft website via Google. Then I simplified their drawing and printed it on regular printer paper. After that, I had to tape all the pages together and check the scale.

A friend gave me three colors of vinyl from a leftover project. I had only matte black, silver, and what you'd probably call a perfect shade of "R2D2 Blue".

There was a lot of cutting with an X-Acto knife, tracing, and marking the locations for the vinyl pieces. I marked the black trash can with black Sharpie dots, used for alignment of each piece before sticking the vinyl down.

More vinyl is attached. I got good at making scraps. Guess where I threw all the scraps when I was done?

Here is the "hero shot" of the finished Trash Droid sitting on my lighted floor. After this, I shoved it under my desk. He eats all my empty beer bottles, never complains.
PGTweed likes this.
post #70 of 76 Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Love the R2D2 trash droid, I'm a Cubmaster and also a Webelos den leader, this looks like a perfect winter project for us at upcoming den meeting.
Thank you for sharing.

Great idea for a Scout project! It could be completed in a couple sittings. One week, they could cut out all the shapes. The next week they could meet and stick them on. The trash cans don't cost very much. I was in Scouts as a kid, and the whole experience shaped me in ways that I could not have predicted. I first discovered I could build things when I attempted my first Pinewood Derby car. My Dad let me use a saw for the first time. It was the ugliest car you've ever seen, unsanded and gnarly, painted with blue spray paint. When I got it to the race, it was overweight by several ounces. The Scoutmaster had to take his pocket knife and whittle away much of the wood to lighten it up. It looked really ugly with chop marks on it, but got to race with the other cars. I lost, but later learned how to sand things, how to cut wood smoothly, how to make more interesting shapes with different types of tools.
Quote:
Has this been showcased on some internet sites besides your post here? Truly amazing work.

Thanks, and yep, I've posted a more extensive photo set on The Replica Prop Forum (the RPF). Also, I've noticed that Google Images indexes all the photos on that site. So some of my images will show up in a Google search for Star Wars things. I admire the Star Wars-style architecture, so why not incorporate it into a theme room. Thanks, everyone for the encouragement, makes the hobby even more fun!

- Amazing DJ
post #71 of 76 Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Amazing DJ likes this.
post #72 of 76 Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
FYI for anyone who is looking for those led strip lights mentioned earlier, newegg has them on sale this week for $29. Their free shipping would surely be quicker than the shipping from Hong Kong.
post #73 of 76 Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 PM

Liked: 13
Absolutely awesome job! The detail looks incredible.
Amazing DJ likes this.
post #74 of 76 Old 02-01-2014, 04:24 AM

Very, very cool. Amazing results!
Amazing DJ likes this.
post #75 of 76 Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Next we work on the ceiling. Ready? We want a ceiling that looks like the mechanical room ceiling in a space ship. There will be lights, pipes, wires, some unusual shapes with some red lights here and there. Get a ladder and some heavy-duty shelf brackets. Lash them together into a grid.

Make a ceiling centerpiece 2ft wide by 10 ft long out of plastic gutters, Sintra plastic, and leave plenty of "holes" for light to shine through in interesting ways. Test some lights made from black plastic toolboxes and LED lights from Hong Kong in the bottoms.

Here is a VIDEO of one of the corner light tests...

And here is another VIDEO showing the ceiling centerpiece after the first few details were added to it...

I just sat in this room and watched the first Star Wars DVD, noting more of the set design elements I admire. When the ceiling is done, I will add surround sound to this room too.
ambesolman and PGTweed like this.

- Amazing DJ
post #76 of 76 Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The 2 coolest parts of the ceiling piece are the display from luke's DS approach, and the sensor readout that lea was reading in ESB when han blew up the probot.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page